1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.51/5  rDev -37.6%

22oz of Flemish Sour for $3.49. Be very afraid! Poured from a bomber into my N'ice Chouffe goblet. Decent amber color with a big, 3 fingered, fluffy tan head to start with, but fades within 30 seconds to nothing, leaving OK lacing. Smell, wtf. Old hops, bad cider, wet dog, fowl. Tastes of funky, tea leafy, old hops, an off sort of sour, booze. Sorta prickly OK mouthfeel. Thin. Bad. Avoid. (391 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -5.8%

Looks strangely "clean" in the glass. Clear, light brown that glows ruby when held to the light. Virtually no head, just a little lace at the edge of the glass.

Not a whole lot hitting the nose. Some caramel malt and some mild citrus, but none of the complexity and vibrancy that the style usually offers.

The mouthfeel is appropriately light and effervescent.

The taste offers a bit more of the sour that I was hoping for, but it is a one note sourness that lacks depth and feels almost artificial. There's a toasted bread note that dutifully follows and some hop bitterness that follows in sequence, but the flavors never come together into a coherent whole. Cannot recommend. (681 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -55.4%

A: Pours mahogany with a little white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry syrup, a bit off at first but it got worse with it warming up.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. raw taste of lactic acid and wood are there, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can barely drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, not smooth.

D: It's well below average. I'm pouring it out as this is a dumper. I can't finish the bomber, and it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point. (580 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Nice reddish/amber brown. Glows nicely in the light. A lot of clarity for the style and color.

S: What I might expect. Straightforward funky sourdough smell, some faint hop character.

T: Toasted barley up front with sourness. Seems kind of like it has an odd choice of hops that doesn't quite fit in. Lacking the sweetness that it needs. Lingering bitterness clashes with the sour, but reminiscent of grapefruit. Some sour apple and unripe lemon are here too.

M: Pretty good. Light and easy drinking texture. Smooth and mellow if judging the mouthfeel alone.

O: I don't like it. Probably (definitely) the worst example of the style that I've come across. It's going to be a struggle to finish the bomber...should I even bother? It is strangely refreshing and palate cleansing though. The score here is a correction for the rest, and how I felt about this beer as a whole. I don't look at the average score before the review, so if it's high, maybe I got a bad bottle and will be willing to give it another chance because this beer is unreasonably bad. (1,059 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +50%

My first sour but reading the reviews when I got home I should of gotten a better example to introduce me to the style but it was $2.99 so I thought I'd give it a try.

Pours light red and smells of cherries. Tastes of cherries and sour like I would expect since the style is called sour ale.

If I didn't read the reviews I would of thought this is a great example of a sour ale but I like it and that's all that matters. (422 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +9.5%

A-pours a deep burgodey color body. Pretty active carbonation very tight and small, little champagne like. Head disapates bit still present after about a minute.

S-reminds me of cherry flavor cough syrupe. A bit off putting but who am I to judge. I personally have never had this style before. Smells of black spur cherries maybe a bit of cocoa in the background.

T-not as sour as the aroma lead it up to be, very mild. Sour vinegar tingle but not very pronounced. More of the same with the aroma, mild tart black cherries. Not much else going on. Alot of medicinal flavor come through with the tart cherries. A bit all over the place. Yet I don't think balance is what the style intends to off anyways.

O- not crazy about this style, nor am I with this brew in particular. It's not bad, im not going really ba mouth it to much. Try for yourselves, but for me this is the last time I buy it. You live and you learn I guess. (926 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -16.5%

I picked this up without knowing anything about it because it was on special and super cheap, and I'm trying to learn more about sours.

I learned my lesson all right.

A: Pours a berry-apple juice color with a bit of tan foam.

S: Strawberries, yeast similar to a wheat beer, hay, and diacetyl.

T: Sour grapes, berries, a bit of malt, and spoiled fruit. It's a bitter sourness! Strong lactic acid aftertaste.

M: Lackluster carbonation, unimpressive mouthfeel.

D: I enjoyed the sour grape flavor, but I hate milk so the lactic acid aftertast made it nearly undrinkable for me. After the first 1/3 of the bottle I was basically forcing myself to choke it down. I'll confess that I eventually diluted it with some juice to make it palatable, because that's how much I hate to waste beer.

I'm not an expert in sours but this was obviously a spoiled batch of something else that they tried to pass off as a Flemish sour. Bad form, guys! (938 characters)

Bottle was on sale at BevMo for $2.99/bomber. I knew it was a mistake to buy, but I did it anyways. Chalk that up to wild college days where we used to drink crazy shit out of a used soccer cleat.

Anyways, this beer pours a murky reddish brown. Like overused transmission fluid. Minimal head, minimal lacing. Smells of chemicals and vinegar. Taste is rich up front, then a flood of astrigent, tart, vinegary pain. There is a sharp spiciness like someone spilled 409 cleaner in my glass. Wow, an absolutely horrendous beer. Hard to comment on mouthfeel when I spit it out.

Yeah, another strike against Hermitage. This has to be the worst attempt at a sour beer I've had...even unintentionally infected beer is better than this stuff. (734 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -8.3%

App: A nice red mahogany. little to no head.

Sm: smells like sour apple. for 7% ABV you dont notice any alcohol.

tst: slightly sour at first followed by a bitter aftertaste. I want it to be more sour and complex.

mtf: very light and thin, and after awhile it leaves a slippery film in your mouth

overall: for 2.45 you cant complain, but it goes without saying that there are definitely better sour beers as well as ales out there (433 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +20.7%

NOTE**** I am not an expert on sours, I am still trying to get a handle on them, so please take this with a grain of salt.

App - I love the ruby red/amber color that this bottle poured. Very lush and well, just pretty.

Smell - Fruity and sweet

Taste - A bit of tart/sour but there is really a much larger presence of sweet malt that takes over the beer.

Mouthfeel - Very full, almost think and syrupy

Drinkability - Very much a sipper, not something I would just "drink"

Over all - I like but I know I have alot to learn about sours. (539 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Another review because I saw a cheap priced beer at BevMo.

A - Minimal head that faded quickly. No lacing. Reddish brown color.

S - Sweet, metallic smell. Not picking up any sour. Minimal cherry.

T - Taste is bad, bad, bad. Can hardly pick up the sour. Getting a little but of cherry. Aftertaste reminds me of having a penny in my mouth (don't ask me how I know that). Makes my tongue try to jump out of my mouth. Alcohol is very present.

M - Can't feel any carbonation. Very thin.

O - Please forgive my bland review, but that's what this beer is, bland. Even for a cheap price, I'd still rather pick something else up.

-Salud (635 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -23.1%

No surprise here. A BevMo house brand - "Hermitage Ales" - listed as the producer. All of the stuff I've tried from them @ BevMo @ their Friday beer tastings has been passable at best. But I was feeling brave and thought I'd see how they did on the sour side. Not well, I can (un)comfortably report.
It starts out OK - nice appearance, decent head, at least it holds its carbonation in the bottle. Sadly, that's where the plaudits end.
It's got a nose of "old" stone fruits, like - dates left too long in the fridge comes to mind - and a cloyingly sweet candi sugar aroma. There's a soapy, ruddy taste, it's a bit sour, but leaves an expectation that it's not gonna end well... What a mess. The finish is much too long because it's unpleasant, hard to quantify, getting a hint of acetal, some raisin & prune, nothing good. Drain pour, obviously. Avoid. (853 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +50.8%

Poured into a half pint glass. Small cream head with a pleasant nose of sweet tart. The color is a very nice amber haze. Reminds me of clover honey. The taste is first bitter then sour and quickly turns tart with a touch of sweetness. Perfect carbonation and body. The finish is very clean and dry. I was a little apprehensive to try this style but I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. You have good color, nose, taste, mouth feel. Hell it even had pretty good lacing on the glass. Not for carbonation alcohol water lovers or hop heads, but a great Sour ale (not that I had a lot of sours) for people looking and willing to try all things Beer. Very nice. (662 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -14%

A: No head. Im not sure if that was due to an improper glass being used or what but i counted about 16 bubbles on top. I wasn't impressed.

S: It didn't smell sour. I smelled a hint of yeast but it wasn't overpowering. It just was a cheap beer smell.

T: It wasn't as sour as I wanted it to be. I really enjoy sour beers (favorite so far is the Consecration) but it was sour enough to feel the tartness in my throat a little bit. Again I wish it were more sour.

M: It had a kind of lingering oily feel. Didn't tase bad, but it felt like there was a thin oily film coating the inside of my mouth. Not very pleasant.

O: It was worth a try mainly because I like sour beers and it was a whopping $2.35 at BevMo. I won't be buying this again. (739 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -24.4%

I made an account on this site in Dec 2011 to review this beer, but I never did.

Its now been a little over a year and I still remeber the main reason I made an account , although none of the details.

Stay away, far away!

Worst beer me and my girlfriend ever had.

We love sours , and all other beers.

This is the only beer(including bud) that's seen the drain. And I've had over 300 different beers since then.

Tasted metallic and like poison. Was on sale at bevmo for like $3 per bomber or something at the time. Its with less, way less. I'd rather drink water. (569 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last