Fruit Crate Pumpkin Ale - Hermitage Brewing

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by KevT:

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

I poured this into my trusty Pumking Goblet.

A - Very pleasing orange tinged brown ale appearance. A nice 1/2" foamy head that slowly reduced to an 1/8" thick and stayed through my first couple sips. This is a great looking beer!

S - Not a stong aroma, but what there is smells more squashy than pumpkin. No hint of any spices at all.

T- Has a straightforward mild brown ale flavor. Not a complex flavor, again no spices at all.

M - Medium mouth feel, not thin, not thick, very drinkable.

O - This is an average beer, decent flavor and drinkable. But if you didn't tell me it had pumpkin in it I would not know. Why go to all the trouble of adding pumpkins when you can't taste them? This is a great looking beers that tastes good. Next year they should kick up the pumpkins and spices and go for something special.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a coopper red with a very short lived and thin white head. Color is crystal clear but looks thin and without density. Looks a bit like somewhat lightly colored water.

Nose is light simple fruit esters with no distinct character at all. I had hopes but this one smells pretty much like all other Hermitage brews, regardless of style - they all seem to smell the same.

Mouthfeel is thin with light carbonation but is very overpowered by a huge "green bitter" flavor profile.

Flavors are green and minty. There is no spice or pumpkin in the beer whatsoever - at least not on my palate. The green mint is almost overwhelming and vegetal. The beer is very out of balance and the flavors are just not appealing.

The finish is a long lasting green vegetal and grass bitter. Would not try again under any circumstances.

Question: Is Hermitage owned by BevMo? I've generally only found Hermitage beers in BevMo and I can't understand why I keep trying them. They all taste the same with a few "not so good" variations. I have never found one of their beers to be accurate to style or appealing. I would normally not review and leave well enough alone. However, now having spent a lot of money on most of the beers that Hermitage brews that I can find, my conclusion is well founded in my opinion (as I sit here with a finish on my palate like I just liked an old postage stamp and the taste won't go away!) Sorry; just my opinion.

3.19/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Hermitage's Fruit Crate Pumpkin Ale: 9% ABV; Appearance: amber; Smell: wheat, hint of hop, (edit: slight grasiness); Taste: faint pumpkin (edit: skin, waxy), light hop, easy to drink for a higher content beer, decent.

Poured into a pint glass.

Edit: updating my score from the original 2.75/2.75/3.25/3.25/3.25.

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

3.53/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle (1 pint 0.9 fl oz) with no bottled on date present. A new one to me from Hermitage Brewing Company, acquired this oddity at the local Binny's. 9.00% abv, 'Ale brewed with California Heritage Pumpkins'.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - It pours a very dark copper red, borderline ruby colored body. Less than a finger of frothy khaki bubbles for a head, and some dark flecks of sediment seen floating in the glass. Appears dark and full, with low carb. Looks more like a barleywine almost than it does a pumpkin ale. Looks good nonetheless.

S - A sweetened caramel aroma seems to dominate. Maybe some candied figs and some muted spicing, but nothing I would describe as pumpkin / gourd. Caramel, toffee, and indistinct spices / fruit seems to dominate.

T - Taste follows the nose: musty, yeasty, caramel, toffee. Some mild alcohol phenols. Again, nothing I would describe as pumpkin or gourd.

M - Feel is smooth & creamy. Lingering caramel / toffee. Some mild alcohol warmth. Medium-full bodied with good carb.

Overall, an average, hefty representation of the style. Not one I'd have again. I have yet to be truly impressed by Hermitage, but I look forward to trying more.

Hermitage Brewing Fruit Crate Pumpkin Ale -----3.5/5

1.75/5  rDev -36.8%

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

and so the hit-or-miss of hermitage continues...

no pumpkin and none of the standard pumpkin spices either (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.).

this takes like the beer you tried to make at home to impress your friends using barley pellets and hop extract. it's cheap and very amateur tasting not to mention a lame attempt at making a "pumpkin ale."

i'm officially done wasting my money on hermitage beers. too many bad ones. these guys should call it a day...

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

2.87/5  rDev +3.6%

Acquired at a Bevmo here in Los Angeles. 9.00% ABV confirmed. 16.9 oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average; the label actually turns me off. Call me shallow.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzels.

A: Pours a three finger khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention for the high ABV. Lacing is decent but a bit thin. Body colour is a clear auburn with no visible carbonation bubbles. Transparent and translucent. Understated and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Spice, clove, generic amber malts, and pumpkin when I look for it. A mild strength aroma. Not horribly evocative. No yeast or alcohol is detectable.

T: Amber malts, caramelized malt, tame floral hops, very light spice, and very restrained pumpkin. A simplistic build with little complexity or subtlety. No yeast or alcohol comes through. A brown sugar-esque type sugar. I can't quite place it. Biscuity. Somewhat bready, even. Above all, it's malty - which is wrong. Pumpkin should be dominant, but it is not. There is simply not enough pumpkin here considering it's a pumpkin ale. Kind of an egregious mistake, but at the same time I understand the difficulty of brewing with pumpkin. This isn't a bad effort, but it's not a very good one.

Mf: Smooth, wet, sugary, and a bit too thick. Overcarbonated. Too heavy on the palate for its lack of complexity and diverse flavour.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. One strength is its ability to hide its alcohol. It's an underwhelming pumpkin beer, but I don't know that I'd call it a disappointment. I'll give this brewery's beer more chances, but I'm unimpressed with this effort. That said, I'll have no trouble finishing this glass. About as average a Pumpkin Ale as you'll find.

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Central Waters snifter.

A: Highlight of the beer. Crystal clear deep copper color. Big thick just-off-white head that fades slowly leaving big thick sticky lacing.

S: Not much to it. Some grain and some alcohol from the 9% abv.

T: Weird flavors that I think resemble pumpkin but I'm not entire sure. There really isn't anything to the taste of this beer.

M: Slightly overcarbonated, medium bodied.

O: A pretty disappointing pumpkin beer. At least it's 9%.

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

3.07/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Has an okay dense and sticky caramel color. Substantial head.

S: Predominantly metallic and makes me scared to drink it. Some nutmeg, cinnamon sneak in.

M: Not a hint of the 9.0% ABV comes through which is impressive considering the lighter body and very fine but active carbonation.

T/O: They say no spices come in and it's all pumpkin. Great, I love it the concept, but NEWSFLASH there's a reason that pumpkin spice is a thing. It's really earthy, really gourdy, natural astringency and lemon tartness shine. it breaks the mold of the stereotypical sweet pumpkin beer, and brings savory to another level. Like I'm savoring for some brown sugar right now. Just unbalanced, but this beer has very very good bones. Has pie crust malt base flavor to a tee. Better than my rating suggest and worth the try.

3.38/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

2.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

3.11/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

November 29th, 2013 - Another pumpkin beer, another consumer push, adding to the out-of-control momentum towards all things pumpkin. But as long as we're embracing this trend with honesty, I'm in. And I'm into this beer, finishing up a Thanksgiving where I had too little wine, leaving an appetite for beer. The head is surprisingly pale, but the body is a deep, mahogany liquid, clear and transparent like pure amber, distorting and vexing my view of the long dinner table, decorated with animal carcass and pleasingly emptied bowls of foodstuffs. Herbaceous and with hints of harvest, the aroma is heavy with that "brewery tour" scent, and with the exception of those botanical bits and pieces, this has all the personality of a red ale, rich with caramel, and dashed with a smear of pumpkin, plus an accent of hops over the vowel. The flavor is much more perfumed, overpowering and clumsy at first. The hop punch is strong, leading to citrus and bitterness, and served on a velvet soft, medium-light palate. And the aftertaste is long, giving a full meal and full repast. My question here is this: is there pumpkin? Maybe some spices? Not really, or sporadically even, and that is strange. But it is fine drinking, hoppy and spicy, but absent of pumpkin, and for that reason only, unsatisfactory.

2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

2.82/5  rDev +1.8%

500 mL bottle, saw a new pumpkin beer in the Southland so I had to pick it up,

A: Pours a lovely dark amber with a medium frothy white head which leaves some nice spotty lace.

S: Aromatically challenged, very light. Some pumpkin flesh and dark malt comes through, but it's hard to find.

T: Earthy squash notes with some dark grainy biscuity malt. The brown ale base really comes out here more than the pumpkin. Some solid vegetal hop flavour in the finish with a clear roasted quality. No spice at all to this effort.

M: Medium-bodied with a frothy creamy carbonation. Roasty aftertaste. Light bit of acridity.

O: This is a rare type of pumpkin beer, the one with no spice. Overall this really tastes like 90% brown ale with a splash of squash thrown in there. A beer that grew on me as I drank it, though it still is fairly generic malt tasting.

2.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle, no bottled on date.

A: Pours a nice deep golden brown. Minimal head with no lacing. Some alcohol legs which I'd expect for 9%.

S: Doesn't have a pumpkin aroma at all. Other than that smells like a decent beer, malt is strong. I docked it since its a pumpkin beer, but lacks the aroma.

T: Hmmm, not a bad taste, but hardly any pumpkin to speak of. The sweetness/pumpkin is slight and is in the after taste. Hides the alcohol very well, and has a bit of a strong amber feel to it.

M: Nice feel, really carbonated medium to full bodied.

O: An odd beer that I feel is misrepresented. Very little pumpkin, but not a bad beer.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast