Fruit Crate Pumpkin Ale - Hermitage Brewing

poor

Hermitage Brewing visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 10-16-2012)
Reviews by TruePerception:
3.2/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Hermitage's Fruit Crate Pumpkin Ale: 9% ABV; Appearance: amber; Smell: wheat, hint of hop, (edit: slight grasiness); Taste: faint pumpkin (edit: skin, waxy), light hop, easy to drink for a higher content beer, decent.

Poured into a pint glass.

Edit: updating my score from the original 2.75/2.75/3.25/3.25/3.25.

TruePerception, May 08, 2014
2.5/5  rDev 0%

Schlafly33, Oct 06, 2013

samtrillo, Jun 04, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +30%

I poured this into my trusty Pumking Goblet.

A - Very pleasing orange tinged brown ale appearance. A nice 1/2" foamy head that slowly reduced to an 1/8" thick and stayed through my first couple sips. This is a great looking beer!

S - Not a stong aroma, but what there is smells more squashy than pumpkin. No hint of any spices at all.

T- Has a straightforward mild brown ale flavor. Not a complex flavor, again no spices at all.

M - Medium mouth feel, not thin, not thick, very drinkable.

O - This is an average beer, decent flavor and drinkable. But if you didn't tell me it had pumpkin in it I would not know. Why go to all the trouble of adding pumpkins when you can't taste them? This is a great looking beers that tastes good. Next year they should kick up the pumpkins and spices and go for something special.

spacecake9, Oct 23, 2014

caustin90, Jul 12, 2014
1.95/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a coopper red with a very short lived and thin white head. Color is crystal clear but looks thin and without density. Looks a bit like somewhat lightly colored water.

Nose is light simple fruit esters with no distinct character at all. I had hopes but this one smells pretty much like all other Hermitage brews, regardless of style - they all seem to smell the same.

Mouthfeel is thin with light carbonation but is very overpowered by a huge "green bitter" flavor profile.

Flavors are green and minty. There is no spice or pumpkin in the beer whatsoever - at least not on my palate. The green mint is almost overwhelming and vegetal. The beer is very out of balance and the flavors are just not appealing.

The finish is a long lasting green vegetal and grass bitter. Would not try again under any circumstances.

Question: Is Hermitage owned by BevMo? I've generally only found Hermitage beers in BevMo and I can't understand why I keep trying them. They all taste the same with a few "not so good" variations. I have never found one of their beers to be accurate to style or appealing. I would normally not review and leave well enough alone. However, now having spent a lot of money on most of the beers that Hermitage brews that I can find, my conclusion is well founded in my opinion (as I sit here with a finish on my palate like I just liked an old postage stamp and the taste won't go away!) Sorry; just my opinion.

GRG1313, Oct 25, 2012

st9647v3, Oct 21, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -30%

ASUBeer, Nov 06, 2012

jpaulsen, Oct 16, 2013
2.08/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

and so the hit-or-miss of hermitage continues...

no pumpkin and none of the standard pumpkin spices either (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.).

this takes like the beer you tried to make at home to impress your friends using barley pellets and hop extract. it's cheap and very amateur tasting not to mention a lame attempt at making a "pumpkin ale."

i'm officially done wasting my money on hermitage beers. too many bad ones. these guys should call it a day...

MadeInOregon, Dec 11, 2013

KevT, Oct 12, 2013

Kahlerbock, Jan 29, 2014
2.83/5  rDev +13.2%

Acquired at a Bevmo here in Los Angeles. 9.00% ABV confirmed. 16.9 oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average; the label actually turns me off. Call me shallow.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzels.

A: Pours a three finger khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention for the high ABV. Lacing is decent but a bit thin. Body colour is a clear auburn with no visible carbonation bubbles. Transparent and translucent. Understated and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Spice, clove, generic amber malts, and pumpkin when I look for it. A mild strength aroma. Not horribly evocative. No yeast or alcohol is detectable.

T: Amber malts, caramelized malt, tame floral hops, very light spice, and very restrained pumpkin. A simplistic build with little complexity or subtlety. No yeast or alcohol comes through. A brown sugar-esque type sugar. I can't quite place it. Biscuity. Somewhat bready, even. Above all, it's malty - which is wrong. Pumpkin should be dominant, but it is not. There is simply not enough pumpkin here considering it's a pumpkin ale. Kind of an egregious mistake, but at the same time I understand the difficulty of brewing with pumpkin. This isn't a bad effort, but it's not a very good one.

Mf: Smooth, wet, sugary, and a bit too thick. Overcarbonated. Too heavy on the palate for its lack of complexity and diverse flavour.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. One strength is its ability to hide its alcohol. It's an underwhelming pumpkin beer, but I don't know that I'd call it a disappointment. I'll give this brewery's beer more chances, but I'm unimpressed with this effort. That said, I'll have no trouble finishing this glass. About as average a Pumpkin Ale as you'll find.

C

kojevergas, Dec 08, 2012

zeff80, Oct 02, 2013
2.8/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Central Waters snifter.

A: Highlight of the beer. Crystal clear deep copper color. Big thick just-off-white head that fades slowly leaving big thick sticky lacing.

S: Not much to it. Some grain and some alcohol from the 9% abv.

T: Weird flavors that I think resemble pumpkin but I'm not entire sure. There really isn't anything to the taste of this beer.

M: Slightly overcarbonated, medium bodied.

O: A pretty disappointing pumpkin beer. At least it's 9%.

suspect, Nov 11, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -40%

Zbeetleman, Jul 08, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -10%

westcoastbeerlvr, Sep 27, 2013

Matt_Ortiz, Sep 27, 2013
2.85/5  rDev +14%

500 mL bottle, saw a new pumpkin beer in the Southland so I had to pick it up,

A: Pours a lovely dark amber with a medium frothy white head which leaves some nice spotty lace.

S: Aromatically challenged, very light. Some pumpkin flesh and dark malt comes through, but it's hard to find.

T: Earthy squash notes with some dark grainy biscuity malt. The brown ale base really comes out here more than the pumpkin. Some solid vegetal hop flavour in the finish with a clear roasted quality. No spice at all to this effort.

M: Medium-bodied with a frothy creamy carbonation. Roasty aftertaste. Light bit of acridity.

O: This is a rare type of pumpkin beer, the one with no spice. Overall this really tastes like 90% brown ale with a splash of squash thrown in there. A beer that grew on me as I drank it, though it still is fairly generic malt tasting.

Halcyondays, Oct 16, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle, no bottled on date.

A: Pours a nice deep golden brown. Minimal head with no lacing. Some alcohol legs which I'd expect for 9%.

S: Doesn't have a pumpkin aroma at all. Other than that smells like a decent beer, malt is strong. I docked it since its a pumpkin beer, but lacks the aroma.

T: Hmmm, not a bad taste, but hardly any pumpkin to speak of. The sweetness/pumpkin is slight and is in the after taste. Hides the alcohol very well, and has a bit of a strong amber feel to it.

M: Nice feel, really carbonated medium to full bodied.

O: An odd beer that I feel is misrepresented. Very little pumpkin, but not a bad beer.

CommanderOfAwesome, Dec 12, 2012