Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Packaging is good. The beer..... is a little above average. We like the colour and the opacity of the beer in the glass. However, any flavour besides the hops does not shine through properly. We will buy again as it is decent for the price. (240 characters)

L: Copper tinted dark amber under a clingy 1” white foam cap.
S: Resiny hops, toasty, malts and grain.
T: A hop driven IPA starting with malt, light caramel and stone fruit that give way to light toast seasoned with bitter grapefruit rind and citrus notes that introduce a long bitter finish.
F: Very creamy, medium to medium light body, medium light carbonation.
O: A bitter yet flavorful and easy to drink IPA (419 characters)

3.65/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours copper brown with a white head. Nice lacing and stick.

S - Sweet fruit, mango, malts. Not a big nose on this brew.

T - Hop forward, nicely balanced with malts, caramel.

O - Decent IPA - worth a try. (215 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

16 ounce can into pint glass, best before 12/6/2014. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a 2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, lemon/orange zest, citrus rind, pine, light caramel, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, moderately crisp/sticky, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice IPA. All around god complexity and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,502 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured this undated 16 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. The body was a hazy copper/gold. with a creamy yellowy head. Sediment settled.

The smell was flowery. Slight malty syrup. Bread and apples.

The taste was muted. Gentle bitterness and slight fruitiness. Could be old??

The mouthfeel was medium to light bodied with a slickness. Lightly carbonated. (364 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I usually enjoy IPA's and I usually enjoy having a little bit of sweetness in my beer. This beer is the best of both worlds. It had a very nice strong flavor or caramel for the sweet notes and also the hops of a traditional IPA. This beer was very good, I ordered more than one after trying the first one. (305 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a fairly clear orange color with a chunky, jagged head. Thick lacing remnants are left.

S-A dull, generically hopped aroma with an equal amount of malty balance. It's well hopped but I don't get much detail.

T-I enjoyed the flavor more. It introduces itself with a rather strong grassy hop flavor. Also some sudsy hops. Citrus elements as well. The malt is pretty basic and welcoming.

M-Drinks easy enough. The 7% is hidden well. Dry...quite dry.

O/D-Wasn't a huge fan. It's at best mediocre. Also, what a terrible looking can. Reminds me of a can of Coors Extra Gold with red font. (595 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer for the caramel taste. It's like beer candy! It has a nice bite of hops, but the dominant characteristic is sweet caramel.

The color is a fairly deep, cloudy amber. The smell immediately notifies you of this beer's sweetness. The mouthfeel is full and smooth. And the taste is sweet caramel!

Basically, if you don't like a little sweet in your IPA, move along to a different pale ale. If you like the malty caramel sweetness, crack one open. (461 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer pours from the can a clear medium-dark orange. Initially, the yellow-tinted head sits a very creamy two fingers high. Retention is very good, and it takes the entire session to settle, and never to less than half a finger of dense, rocky foam. The lacing forms in rings where the beer settles for any length of time, webbing between the rings.
Plenty of hops in the nose balance with sweeter malts notes. Pine, flower and candied citrus rind meld with toffee and bread for balance and a good complexity. It's good, so I wish it was stronger.
The taste is equally hop-forward and balanced. The malts provide more candi sugar-like sweetness, similar to dried tropical fruits and apricots as it blends with the hops. Citrus, breads, and a touch of jam just in the finish make for a unique profile. Alcohol keeps a muted but consistent presence the whole way through.
The body is medium and the feel as focused on smoothness as much as crispness. A tea-like something sneaks into a nicely lingering finish. (1,012 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

A- hazy orange with about 1.5 inch off white head. Rings of clingy lacing

S- fresh hops prevail grassy, citricy, grapefruit

T- hop forward with very nice balanced finish. I'd classify this as AIPA. Finish leaves some malty sweetness lingering and drawing me toward another sip.

M- feel is fuller and creamier than expected.

I- a nice pleasant surprise as this beer exceeded my expectations in nearly every aspect. I will definitely look for this one again. (462 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gotta love a canned IPA (or any canned beer, for that matter), right? Cornerstone IPA pours somewhere along the lines of a bruised orange peel and/or rustic amber, about halfway along the clear-opaque scale. A bouffant, dingy-white head grows big and fluffy and leaves towering sheets of lacing and plentiful webbing on the glass during its descent.

The aroma's pretty potent... actually much more potent than I was expecting for some reason. Piney, citric hops all the way, with extra helpings of brash pine needles, grapefruit peels, and some ashy, peppery background spice. Malts seem to provide a hefty sweetness without actually contributing much to the aroma itself, aside from maybe a pinch of biscuits.

I'm picking up a mildly soapy aroma far off in the distance (and no, it's not from washing my glass). While undesirable, it's not heavy enough to kill things for me. At least not yet. The pungency on the nose is impressive, my standards are higher now than they were before. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess we'll see.

The first sip isn't nearly as bitter as I thought it'd be, especially after the pine-needle, pungent hop assault from the aroma. A nice, bready malt base is laid out, first and foremost with plenty of sweet undertones to combat the greens. Hops add an intangible juicy and fruity aspect to this one; heavy on the oranges and tangerines with some lighter mentions of citrus.

A more leafy and spicy side of the hop starts working the back of the tongue late in the game, finally hitting with a little bitterness to balance the sweet. Overall, this beer actually has great balance, and drinks more like a pale ale than an actual IPA, aside from the heavier, stickier mouth feel. Carbonation is good and helps the flavors to come alive. The aftertaste is crowded with oranges, some faintly tropical fruits, and a hint of crisp, cracker-y malt.

My expectations were naught for this one and it actually proved to be quite enjoyable. Isn't that usually how things go, though? Not sure how old this beer is, but the hops are vibrant enough in flavor to make me believe that it's relatively fresh. A little more bitterness wouldn't hurt, but the balance is nice and it drinks easier than 7% ABV. Overall, not a bad 16 oz. canned IPA choice. (2,300 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Undated 16oz can bought for $2.19 and poured into a shaker pint.

First, I have to say ... I wonder if other people got an old bottle, or if Rochester Mills changed their recipe a bit with this beer, because I'm lost in how some of these people are describing this beer's nose and taste. ANYWAY...

Appearance: An amber color with a lot of haze. Finger or so of off-white, creamy head that stays around, surprisingly enough. Lacing blows my mind. The label itself is "clean", like any other Rochester Mills can is. Red and yellow with the words "Cornsterstone IPA" printed on. Simple, but attractive.

Smell: Quite sweet ... surprisingly sweet, with a medium hop nose. Really not as hoppy as I was expecting, given the label saying "This beer is for HopHeads".

Taste/feel: Sweet, again -- this may be the first standard IPA that I've had that I find being unbalanced... but with more sweetness than bitterness. The front has a crystal malt sort of sweetness, while the finish has piney and citrus hop flavors, with some moderate bitterness. Back of the throat also gets a touch of spice with some caramel malt. No traces of alcohol in the aroma, taste, or feel. To me, this almost drinks like an IIPA, and I don't have a problem with that. Another reason I say that is the mouthfeel. Cornerstone has that "tap" feel; it goes down very smooth, and doesn't have a very high carbonation... that alone makes me slightly think of HopSlam, especially given this brew's honey-like sweetness. Don't get me wrong, this is no HopSlam, but it has a couple similar characteristics.

I'm way above the rDev on this one, but what can I say ... this is a very tasty beer. To the "sip-by-sip" lacing, to the sweet then bitter taste, to the great mouthfeel, to the incredibly reasonable price of $2.19 per 16oz can, this is a beer that I could see myself going back to for a nicely priced, IIPA tasting IPA. I was thinking that this beer would become TOO sticky and cloying after awhile due to the immense amount of honey sort of flavors on the front, but the decent amount of bitterness on the finish balanced it all out very nicely. I wasn't too impressed with the other Rochester Mills offerings that I had previously (Milkshake Stout and Rochester Red), but this one does it for me. (2,270 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pint can poured into my M-I-D shaker pint.

A- Rich, golden-orange body is slightly hazed. Light carbonation. A gentle pour created a 1/2 finger, khaki head. Awesome lace. Good sustain on the head at a fully covering film. A little sediment at the bottom of the glass. A nice, unfiltered look.

S- really fresh and hoppy. Grapefruit and pineapple notes. Did I mention "fresh?" An underlying sweetness. A little bready. Malts come together like a pastry. Really nicely balanced in the end, as IPAs go.

T- Good. Not quite up to the aroma at first. Hopping is a little aspirin-like. Grainy malts through the middle. Another sip has me rethinking. Maybe more herbal and citrus. Definite citrus zest in finish, grapefruit. Pretty balanced.

M- Moderate carbonation. Pleasant hop bite.

O- This is a solid IPA. Available as a pint? In a bottle? Bonus! I'm thinking I just found my spring hiking beer. (895 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11%

on tap @ the brewpub, served in a pint glass. notes from last new year's.

a - amber in color with a thin cap of head. leaves thick chunks of lacing in the glass.

s - toasty with faint citrus notes.

t - none of the nose. bready malt with herbal hop character and notes of honey.

m - medium body, adequate carbonation, finer co2 profile. very smooth.

o - par for the course. not in a hurry to drink more of this but i wouldn't turn it down either. (452 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This comes across as a pretty good IPA. The drawback to me is that the flavor profile seems to drop off a bit too soon and quickly for me. There is a nice aftertaste going on. It's workable enough to drink, sure. Doesn't really strike me as something to continually go back to. (277 characters)

A: Pours out a light honey color with a massive amount of floaties. There is about one half finger of pure white head that settles nicely over time. There is some lacing left on the glass as it drinks. But the floaties are out of control!

S: The nose if chalk full-o-malt with a touch of pine in the background. I'm hoping this beer is a bit old, and that it's not supposed to smell this malty.

T: There is some sweet malt right up front, and a thin citrus bite in the back end. There is a funky spoiled sour taste that I'm not enjoying at all.

M: Light bodied beer. Not much carbonation to speak of. There is nothing notable here.

O: I have a strong suspicion that this beer is pretty old. The smell and taste are both off, and the carbonation is non-existent. I'd like to try a fresh can sometime in the future to make sure what I just tried is not how the beer is supposed to taste. If it is... it's a straight up terrible beer. (935 characters)

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Mostly clear dark yellow body with a bit of orange hue. One-finger off-white head with a small amount of lacing.

I'm getting mostly citrus, lemon primarily and a bit of orange in the aroma. Otherwise, a bit of pine and a touch of caramel malt.

Pretty tasty blend of flavors that follows the aroma very closely. Nice piney hop flavor to accompany the citrus. Decent malt blend but not too sweet.

Medium to light texture in the mouthfeel that drinks easily. Good effort here; if canned, that's a plus, too. (538 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Can purchased in Michigan a few weeks ago. Pours a hazy dark orange colour with thin white head. Some spots of lacing around the glass. Smells very malty, caramel I think. Some earthy and citrus hops. Metallic type aftertaste, which is a bit weird. Bitterness is pretty understated. Medium bodied carbonation. Just an ok IPA. (325 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Pour - dark honey, amber in color. Clean, clear appearance with a decent sized bubbly white head on top.

Aroma - caramel and orange juice in the aroma as well as some grassiness and lemon. A bit of vanilla and only a slight bit of pine. Not a whole lot of hoppiness in the nose.

Taste - definitely a malt forward IPA with a nice hoppiness that seems to appear at the back of the tongue as you get that first sip down. It's almost like a "hop ghost" appearing when you least expect it. Cornerstone has a good deal of caramel sweetness combining with orange and lemon citrus flavors as well as a bit of pineapple juice.

Overall - at first I wasn't sure what to think but then the hoppiness kicked in and the balanced nature of this IPA came out. Sure, it's not a crazy hop bomb but every beer has it's own unique signature so to speak. Give this one a shot, have an open mind and we're sure you'll enjoy it.

Would I buy more of it? - when it comes to cans of craft beer in Michigan we've got a lot to get through. With the recent announcement that Bell's will be canning in 2012 and a number of other Great Lakes State breweries about to release cans we might need to work our way back to this one, which should be a fun quest! (1,235 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

This was sent to me in an awesome trade by lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: EXTREMELY (unfiltered) murky, gold color, with a darker shade in the middle and going up through the center of the beer. The generously foamy head was a few shades whiter than the brew itself, but still retained some brown highlights.

S: I could smell this from several feet away after immediately popping the can. Yikes! Citrus for sure: orange and pineapple. However, there was also more than a hint of rich candy sugar. Strong Centennial hops indeed!

T: A bit different experience on the taste buds. There was an overall, refreshing filtered water and yeast quality that cut through the potential candy sweetness nicely. I could really taste the barley in this one.

M: Not much of a lingering sweetness... the lacing also dictates that. The carbonation, although moderate to low, was still prickly and satisfying.

O: Many of the reviews on here that preceded mine didn't encapsulate my experience at all. That's the beauty of beer I guess. Thanks Ryan for sending me this tasty treat! (1,061 characters)

What a great afternoon, thanks to my Michigan peeps! I began with a beautiful rendition of a lager, moved on to an equally nice APA and I finish with an AmeriCAN IPA as I segue off to my local to watch the Pitt/WVU Backyard Basketbrawl or Basketyard Brawl. The CANlQuest (TM) CANtinues on its march! How soon will it be # 500?

From the CAN: "An unfiltered, amber-colored ale packed with hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Dry hopped with Centennial hops for lots of flavor and a citrusy aromatic finish. (If you consider yourself a 'hophead', this one's for you). Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast"; "Why Craft Beer in a Can? A better question may be Why not? - Cans keep beer fresher for longer - Fully eliminate damaging light & oxygen - Highly portable & virtually unbreakable - Welcome where glass bottles aren't (the beach, pool, boat, trail, river, tub, backpack, stadium, golf course & many others. Imagine the possibilities. Where will you enjoy yours?": "Why 16 oz cans? - We wanted you to enjoy a full pint."; and "Head to the Source - visit the brewpub in downtown Rochester and enjoy the Mills' beers paired with great food & friends. 400 Water Street - Rochester, Michigan 48307".

Cue Jack Benny: "Rochester! Oh, Rochester, I say!" "Yowsah, boss!" "Go get me one of those CANs of beer that I have been saving for just these occasions." "Yowsah, boss!" Ha ha.

The Crack & Glug produced two foamy fingers of tawny head with great retention. Color was a murky orangish-amber. "Unfiltered?" Untouched! Keep your filthy diatomaceous earth (DE) away from my beer, you heathen! Hoppy? Like a bunny in this, the Year of the Rabbit! Full-on, unapologetic citrus hoppiness. My mouth was watering uncontrollably. One sip and I felt the needle pierce my vein as my Hop Jones was satiated. The Hop Monkey that rides around on my shoulders began to cease his incessant chattering and I was cured, o my bothers! F**k! I thought that I had kicked and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I'm hooked again. God damn, I say God damn the pusher man!

"You know, I've smoked a lot of grass, I've popped [open] a lot of [CANs], but I never touched nothin' that my spirit could kill [even Minhas]. You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round with tombstones in their eyes, but the pusher don't care ah, if you live or if you die. God damn, The Pusher! God damn, I say The Pusher! I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man! You know the [bartender], the [bartender] is a man with the love [tap]s [by] his hand, Oh but the [hops grower] is a monster. [Not really, just having fun]. Good God, he's not a natural man. The [bartender] for a [few dollars], Lord, will sell you lots of [AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers]. Ah, but the [hop grower] will ruin your body. Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream." Thank you, Steppenwolf, for summing it up nicely.

The taste, and that's all it took was a taste, was pure heaven. Citrusy initially, more towards orange than grapefruit, initially, then caramel so that I did not just float away. Those Brach's Orange Caramels, again! Man, I keep thinking of my late maternal grandmother lately and she would NOT have approved as she was a teetotaler. Finish was soft, laying me down in the gutter as thy opener and CAN comforted me. (See Dear Abby "King Heroin").

Well, now, I have a problem. This shit is TOO good to share with you booyahs, so I am giving it the lowest possible ratings so that I CAN have it all to myself. You want to score, score on your own corner, mo fo! I'm bogarting this for ME! I CAN't even put it in my cooler, 'cause I sold the thing to get some more scratch to buy some more. I wouldn't even want to go to the beach any more. I like it good and dark, baby. I'm putting aluminum foil on the windows, locking the doors and killing the phone as I type. Hey, bro, CAN I get a little cabbage to help a brother through a rough patch! I just wanna score another case, I mean, CAN of this little doll, dig?

Man, I'm flyin' higher than PanAm and TWA put together tonight! This is the real deal, baby. Accept no substitute and post no bills. Stamp help out because Lenny Bruce is not afraid. (4,167 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Reviewed on 6/21/2010. On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy orange brown with a small white head. Aroma of citrus, sweet bready malt, and floral hops. Flavor of citrus, sweaty hops, caramel malt, and floral hops. A malt-forward IPA vs. a super hopped IPA but it was still a good drinker. (288 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the can a deep orange-copper color with two-fingers of off-white head.

Nice aroma of pine and citrus along with caramel malts and biscuit.

Grapefruit and pine upfront with caramel malts and biscuit following behind. Moderately bitter finish.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated.

Picked up a six while visiting family in Michigan and enjoyed each and every one. (380 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, thanks Erik!

Thick and creamy off white head after vigorous pour, fades to a small cap that will stick around for most of the beer. Color is hazy amber with orange hues. Smell is floral hops complimented by some sweet malt and a hint of alcohol. Flavor follows smell, but adds a bit of citrusy hop character. Noticeable dry hop in the finish as well. Mouth feel is medium bodied with light carbonation, good finish. Very drinkable IPA with great hop characteristics. I would certainly pick this up if I saw it on the shelf. (561 characters)

16oz can

a - pours a deep copper color with a one-finger ivory head, retention around the edge with minimal lacing, quite hazy

s - very light aroma, caramel and biscuit malt with a subtle piney hop aroma, not much alcohol detected

t - lemon and pine hop notes up front, moderately bitter, significant caramel and biscuit malt, finish is lingering pine, lemon rind, light cola and caramel, light boozy heat

m - medium-bodied, moderate to light carbonation, pretty dry overall, light alcohol warming

d - not harsh on the palate, but not that interesting either, gets a bit boring halfway through the pint

Not too bad of an effort overall, but nothing I'll likely revisit. Worth buying a single if you see it in the store, but don't go out of your way for it. (762 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.