Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002)

What a great afternoon, thanks to my Michigan peeps! I began with a beautiful rendition of a lager, moved on to an equally nice APA and I finish with an AmeriCAN IPA as I segue off to my local to watch the Pitt/WVU Backyard Basketbrawl or Basketyard Brawl. The CANlQuest (TM) CANtinues on its march! How soon will it be # 500?

From the CAN: "An unfiltered, amber-colored ale packed with hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Dry hopped with Centennial hops for lots of flavor and a citrusy aromatic finish. (If you consider yourself a 'hophead', this one's for you). Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast"; "Why Craft Beer in a Can? A better question may be Why not? - Cans keep beer fresher for longer - Fully eliminate damaging light & oxygen - Highly portable & virtually unbreakable - Welcome where glass bottles aren't (the beach, pool, boat, trail, river, tub, backpack, stadium, golf course & many others. Imagine the possibilities. Where will you enjoy yours?": "Why 16 oz cans? - We wanted you to enjoy a full pint."; and "Head to the Source - visit the brewpub in downtown Rochester and enjoy the Mills' beers paired with great food & friends. 400 Water Street - Rochester, Michigan 48307".

Cue Jack Benny: "Rochester! Oh, Rochester, I say!" "Yowsah, boss!" "Go get me one of those CANs of beer that I have been saving for just these occasions." "Yowsah, boss!" Ha ha.

The Crack & Glug produced two foamy fingers of tawny head with great retention. Color was a murky orangish-amber. "Unfiltered?" Untouched! Keep your filthy diatomaceous earth (DE) away from my beer, you heathen! Hoppy? Like a bunny in this, the Year of the Rabbit! Full-on, unapologetic citrus hoppiness. My mouth was watering uncontrollably. One sip and I felt the needle pierce my vein as my Hop Jones was satiated. The Hop Monkey that rides around on my shoulders began to cease his incessant chattering and I was cured, o my bothers! F**k! I thought that I had kicked and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I'm hooked again. God damn, I say God damn the pusher man!

"You know, I've smoked a lot of grass, I've popped [open] a lot of [CANs], but I never touched nothin' that my spirit could kill [even Minhas]. You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round with tombstones in their eyes, but the pusher don't care ah, if you live or if you die. God damn, The Pusher! God damn, I say The Pusher! I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man! You know the [bartender], the [bartender] is a man with the love [tap]s [by] his hand, Oh but the [hops grower] is a monster. [Not really, just having fun]. Good God, he's not a natural man. The [bartender] for a [few dollars], Lord, will sell you lots of [AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers]. Ah, but the [hop grower] will ruin your body. Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream." Thank you, Steppenwolf, for summing it up nicely.

The taste, and that's all it took was a taste, was pure heaven. Citrusy initially, more towards orange than grapefruit, initially, then caramel so that I did not just float away. Those Brach's Orange Caramels, again! Man, I keep thinking of my late maternal grandmother lately and she would NOT have approved as she was a teetotaler. Finish was soft, laying me down in the gutter as thy opener and CAN comforted me. (See Dear Abby "King Heroin").

Well, now, I have a problem. This shit is TOO good to share with you booyahs, so I am giving it the lowest possible ratings so that I CAN have it all to myself. You want to score, score on your own corner, mo fo! I'm bogarting this for ME! I CAN't even put it in my cooler, 'cause I sold the thing to get some more scratch to buy some more. I wouldn't even want to go to the beach any more. I like it good and dark, baby. I'm putting aluminum foil on the windows, locking the doors and killing the phone as I type. Hey, bro, CAN I get a little cabbage to help a brother through a rough patch! I just wanna score another case, I mean, CAN of this little doll, dig?

Man, I'm flyin' higher than PanAm and TWA put together tonight! This is the real deal, baby. Accept no substitute and post no bills. Stamp help out because Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

woodychandler, Feb 07, 2011
4.56/5  rDev +28.1%

SundayLobotmist, Sep 24, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

twkirkby, Sep 06, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

olafphysics, Aug 09, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

This was sent to me in an awesome trade by lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: EXTREMELY (unfiltered) murky, gold color, with a darker shade in the middle and going up through the center of the beer. The generously foamy head was a few shades whiter than the brew itself, but still retained some brown highlights.

S: I could smell this from several feet away after immediately popping the can. Yikes! Citrus for sure: orange and pineapple. However, there was also more than a hint of rich candy sugar. Strong Centennial hops indeed!

T: A bit different experience on the taste buds. There was an overall, refreshing filtered water and yeast quality that cut through the potential candy sweetness nicely. I could really taste the barley in this one.

M: Not much of a lingering sweetness... the lacing also dictates that. The carbonation, although moderate to low, was still prickly and satisfying.

O: Many of the reviews on here that preceded mine didn't encapsulate my experience at all. That's the beauty of beer I guess. Thanks Ryan for sending me this tasty treat!

Chaney, Apr 08, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

A- hazy orange with about 1.5 inch off white head. Rings of clingy lacing

S- fresh hops prevail grassy, citricy, grapefruit

T- hop forward with very nice balanced finish. I'd classify this as AIPA. Finish leaves some malty sweetness lingering and drawing me toward another sip.

M- feel is fuller and creamier than expected.

I- a nice pleasant surprise as this beer exceeded my expectations in nearly every aspect. I will definitely look for this one again.

Donnelj, Jul 26, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +16%

Undated 16oz can bought for $2.19 and poured into a shaker pint.

First, I have to say ... I wonder if other people got an old bottle, or if Rochester Mills changed their recipe a bit with this beer, because I'm lost in how some of these people are describing this beer's nose and taste. ANYWAY...

Appearance: An amber color with a lot of haze. Finger or so of off-white, creamy head that stays around, surprisingly enough. Lacing blows my mind. The label itself is "clean", like any other Rochester Mills can is. Red and yellow with the words "Cornsterstone IPA" printed on. Simple, but attractive.

Smell: Quite sweet ... surprisingly sweet, with a medium hop nose. Really not as hoppy as I was expecting, given the label saying "This beer is for HopHeads".

Taste/feel: Sweet, again -- this may be the first standard IPA that I've had that I find being unbalanced... but with more sweetness than bitterness. The front has a crystal malt sort of sweetness, while the finish has piney and citrus hop flavors, with some moderate bitterness. Back of the throat also gets a touch of spice with some caramel malt. No traces of alcohol in the aroma, taste, or feel. To me, this almost drinks like an IIPA, and I don't have a problem with that. Another reason I say that is the mouthfeel. Cornerstone has that "tap" feel; it goes down very smooth, and doesn't have a very high carbonation... that alone makes me slightly think of HopSlam, especially given this brew's honey-like sweetness. Don't get me wrong, this is no HopSlam, but it has a couple similar characteristics.

I'm way above the rDev on this one, but what can I say ... this is a very tasty beer. To the "sip-by-sip" lacing, to the sweet then bitter taste, to the great mouthfeel, to the incredibly reasonable price of $2.19 per 16oz can, this is a beer that I could see myself going back to for a nicely priced, IIPA tasting IPA. I was thinking that this beer would become TOO sticky and cloying after awhile due to the immense amount of honey sort of flavors on the front, but the decent amount of bitterness on the finish balanced it all out very nicely. I wasn't too impressed with the other Rochester Mills offerings that I had previously (Milkshake Stout and Rochester Red), but this one does it for me.

Alextricity, May 28, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer pours from the can a clear medium-dark orange. Initially, the yellow-tinted head sits a very creamy two fingers high. Retention is very good, and it takes the entire session to settle, and never to less than half a finger of dense, rocky foam. The lacing forms in rings where the beer settles for any length of time, webbing between the rings.
Plenty of hops in the nose balance with sweeter malts notes. Pine, flower and candied citrus rind meld with toffee and bread for balance and a good complexity. It's good, so I wish it was stronger.
The taste is equally hop-forward and balanced. The malts provide more candi sugar-like sweetness, similar to dried tropical fruits and apricots as it blends with the hops. Citrus, breads, and a touch of jam just in the finish make for a unique profile. Alcohol keeps a muted but consistent presence the whole way through.
The body is medium and the feel as focused on smoothness as much as crispness. A tea-like something sneaks into a nicely lingering finish.

Brenden, Aug 13, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A_Cloudy amber with a thick,frothy head.Gobby lacing up and down the glass.

S_Hops,floral,and pine. Pretty mellow.

T_Hops,floral,pine.Earthy/grassy hops followed by a soft malt bill.Really balanced not as much bite as most IPAs but definitely not lacking in flavor.

M_Smooth,thick,creamy and full bodied. Really coats the mouth.

D_Exceptionally drinkable IPA.

nickadams2, Aug 19, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Served from a 16oz. "tall boy" can into a standard pint glass
Deep golden orange in color with a moderate head of foam
Aroma-Piney citrus notes
Taste-Grapefruit-rind bitterness with a nice malt backbone for balance. Good mouthfeel leads to a long, bitter finish.
Overall, a pretty good brew in a can. Nice "boat" beer.

hosehead83, Aug 23, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

16 oz. can (tall).

Pours a cloudy apricot copper. Tall, two fingers of creamy, dense, beige head. Good retention and great lacing. Nose of candied fruits, rich caramel/toffee, and a nice blend of citrus, pineapple, mint, and pine hops.

Toasted malts and sweetish toffee up front. Pine and herbal hop bitterness follow and stay throughout. Sweet tropical fruits mid-palate. Pineapple and lemon hop flavors mix in. Finish is sappy, herbal, bitter, with lots of residual malt sweetness. Nice long hop burn. I can definitely taste the Centennials in this. Medium body, with a low-carbonated, creamy feel. Pretty damn good! Glad to see another MI craft beer in a can too!

alexgash, Jul 30, 2010

miwestcoaster, Jul 05, 2013

MicrosoftSam, Jul 13, 2014

dmorgan310, Feb 03, 2012

adamant1912, Nov 17, 2011

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Mostly clear dark yellow body with a bit of orange hue. One-finger off-white head with a small amount of lacing.

I'm getting mostly citrus, lemon primarily and a bit of orange in the aroma. Otherwise, a bit of pine and a touch of caramel malt.

Pretty tasty blend of flavors that follows the aroma very closely. Nice piney hop flavor to accompany the citrus. Decent malt blend but not too sweet.

Medium to light texture in the mouthfeel that drinks easily. Good effort here; if canned, that's a plus, too.

FanofHefe, Aug 01, 2011

szmnnl99, Mar 24, 2012
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.