2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

pDev: 15%

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 86 | Reviews: 31 | Show All Ratings:
Donnelj

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

A- hazy orange with about 1.5 inch off white head. Rings of clingy lacing

S- fresh hops prevail grassy, citricy, grapefruit

T- hop forward with very nice balanced finish. I'd classify this as AIPA. Finish leaves some malty sweetness lingering and drawing me toward another sip.

M- feel is fuller and creamier than expected.

I- a nice pleasant surprise as this beer exceeded my expectations in nearly every aspect. I will definitely look for this one again.

07-26-2013 13:36:14 | More by Donnelj
divineaudio

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

on tap @ the brewpub, served in a pint glass. notes from last new year's.

a - amber in color with a thin cap of head. leaves thick chunks of lacing in the glass.

s - toasty with faint citrus notes.

t - none of the nose. bready malt with herbal hop character and notes of honey.

m - medium body, adequate carbonation, finer co2 profile. very smooth.

o - par for the course. not in a hurry to drink more of this but i wouldn't turn it down either.

11-25-2012 20:53:59 | More by divineaudio
FanofHefe

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Mostly clear dark yellow body with a bit of orange hue. One-finger off-white head with a small amount of lacing.

I'm getting mostly citrus, lemon primarily and a bit of orange in the aroma. Otherwise, a bit of pine and a touch of caramel malt.

Pretty tasty blend of flavors that follows the aroma very closely. Nice piney hop flavor to accompany the citrus. Decent malt blend but not too sweet.

Medium to light texture in the mouthfeel that drinks easily. Good effort here; if canned, that's a plus, too.

08-01-2011 21:55:37 | More by FanofHefe
LilBeerDoctor

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Reviewed on 6/21/2010. On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy orange brown with a small white head. Aroma of citrus, sweet bready malt, and floral hops. Flavor of citrus, sweaty hops, caramel malt, and floral hops. A malt-forward IPA vs. a super hopped IPA but it was still a good drinker.

12-23-2010 23:32:53 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Comes out of the tap a nice hazy amber, although with minimal head. Aroma is strongly hoppy and appealing, if not complex. Flavor is mainly hoppy and just a little malty, somewhat bitter. Texture is fairly fizzy and tingly. This IPA is worthy of at least a try.

07-08-2010 00:46:53 | More by Cyberkedi
ChuckVee

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

I live a few blocks from the brewery, and have been drinking this beer weekly for around 10 years. The recipe has changed with each new brewer, but the recent incarnation is certainly their best.
As people before me have said, this beer is all about the hops. Very intense hop bomb bitterness with a big delicious citrusy flavor that makes it incredibly quenching and quaffable. There is not a lot of malt support, but the beer is intentionally designed as a hop showcase. My personal opinion is that it would not be as good if they upped the malt bill.

Easily the Mills best beer, and one of my favorite American IPA's of all time.

12-03-2008 15:24:12 | More by ChuckVee
berserker256

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer started off as a normal-looking one. Nice golden color and dissapated head by the time the waitress brought it to me. (She wasn't slow. But the head went away in a couple minutes.) A huge stink of hops is immediately obvious when you dip your nose into the rim. That was quite impressive and then I tasted it. Jesus Christ... Floral hops? This beer tastes like a Christmas Tree! The immediate flavor that punches your tounge is Christmas tree and then once you set the glass down the taste that invades your mouth is juniper bush. It's crazy. I've never tasted an I.P.A. quite like this. I HAD to have my wife try it... even though she's pregnant. She took a very small sip and said "whoa!... Pine tree!"

It was a little bit too overwhelming. They must have hopped the hell out of this brew. Weird beer. I'll have to try another batch in the future...

11-06-2007 18:53:58 | More by berserker256
CoSMoSYS

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

Got this on tap last night when my girlfriend and I went to dinner with some friends from Maryland.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow and about a quarter inch of head. Head took off rather quickly and I didn't notice any lacing whatsoever.

Smell was of citrus, pepper and hops...definitely hops!

The first thing that struck me was the rush of extreme hops and pepper as I drank this beer. It wasn't really the bitterness that got me but just how peppery this beer tasted. Everything else was insignificant compared to that.

Felt like a light bodied beer that didn't have any carbonation bubbles as you drank. Aftertaste was bitter and peppery.

I thought I would give IPA's another try but was proved that I was not as ready as I thought I was. Seriously...only true hop head need apply!

10-20-2007 16:43:55 | More by CoSMoSYS
VelvetExtract

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a fairly clear orange color with a chunky, jagged head. Thick lacing remnants are left.

S-A dull, generically hopped aroma with an equal amount of malty balance. It's well hopped but I don't get much detail.

T-I enjoyed the flavor more. It introduces itself with a rather strong grassy hop flavor. Also some sudsy hops. Citrus elements as well. The malt is pretty basic and welcoming.

M-Drinks easy enough. The 7% is hidden well. Dry...quite dry.

O/D-Wasn't a huge fan. It's at best mediocre. Also, what a terrible looking can. Reminds me of a can of Coors Extra Gold with red font.

12-06-2013 01:51:44 | More by VelvetExtract
Beerdanza

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer for the caramel taste. It's like beer candy! It has a nice bite of hops, but the dominant characteristic is sweet caramel.

The color is a fairly deep, cloudy amber. The smell immediately notifies you of this beer's sweetness. The mouthfeel is full and smooth. And the taste is sweet caramel!

Basically, if you don't like a little sweet in your IPA, move along to a different pale ale. If you like the malty caramel sweetness, crack one open.

11-12-2013 23:55:15 | More by Beerdanza
Brenden

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer pours from the can a clear medium-dark orange. Initially, the yellow-tinted head sits a very creamy two fingers high. Retention is very good, and it takes the entire session to settle, and never to less than half a finger of dense, rocky foam. The lacing forms in rings where the beer settles for any length of time, webbing between the rings.
Plenty of hops in the nose balance with sweeter malts notes. Pine, flower and candied citrus rind meld with toffee and bread for balance and a good complexity. It's good, so I wish it was stronger.
The taste is equally hop-forward and balanced. The malts provide more candi sugar-like sweetness, similar to dried tropical fruits and apricots as it blends with the hops. Citrus, breads, and a touch of jam just in the finish make for a unique profile. Alcohol keeps a muted but consistent presence the whole way through.
The body is medium and the feel as focused on smoothness as much as crispness. A tea-like something sneaks into a nicely lingering finish.

08-12-2013 23:54:04 | More by Brenden
tectactoe

3.78/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gotta love a canned IPA (or any canned beer, for that matter), right? Cornerstone IPA pours somewhere along the lines of a bruised orange peel and/or rustic amber, about halfway along the clear-opaque scale. A bouffant, dingy-white head grows big and fluffy and leaves towering sheets of lacing and plentiful webbing on the glass during its descent.

The aroma's pretty potent... actually much more potent than I was expecting for some reason. Piney, citric hops all the way, with extra helpings of brash pine needles, grapefruit peels, and some ashy, peppery background spice. Malts seem to provide a hefty sweetness without actually contributing much to the aroma itself, aside from maybe a pinch of biscuits.

I'm picking up a mildly soapy aroma far off in the distance (and no, it's not from washing my glass). While undesirable, it's not heavy enough to kill things for me. At least not yet. The pungency on the nose is impressive, my standards are higher now than they were before. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess we'll see.

The first sip isn't nearly as bitter as I thought it'd be, especially after the pine-needle, pungent hop assault from the aroma. A nice, bready malt base is laid out, first and foremost with plenty of sweet undertones to combat the greens. Hops add an intangible juicy and fruity aspect to this one; heavy on the oranges and tangerines with some lighter mentions of citrus.

A more leafy and spicy side of the hop starts working the back of the tongue late in the game, finally hitting with a little bitterness to balance the sweet. Overall, this beer actually has great balance, and drinks more like a pale ale than an actual IPA, aside from the heavier, stickier mouth feel. Carbonation is good and helps the flavors to come alive. The aftertaste is crowded with oranges, some faintly tropical fruits, and a hint of crisp, cracker-y malt.

My expectations were naught for this one and it actually proved to be quite enjoyable. Isn't that usually how things go, though? Not sure how old this beer is, but the hops are vibrant enough in flavor to make me believe that it's relatively fresh. A little more bitterness wouldn't hurt, but the balance is nice and it drinks easier than 7% ABV. Overall, not a bad 16 oz. canned IPA choice.

07-06-2013 18:38:02 | More by tectactoe
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.24/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy amber/orange colored body with a finger of an off white head that rises and then falls leaving some slightly thick foamy lacing in rings

S: orange and other light citrus tones up front through the hops, light malts arise as it warms a bit

T: bittersweet through the previously mentioned flavors, gets a bit piney and somewhat spicy, bittersweet citrus aftertaste, sticky finish

M: medium, slightly sessionable, carbonation seems to be spot on and the alcohol doesn't seem to be felt

O: what a nice AIPA, slightly sweet, combines the bitter for the right balance, gets some spice in there, pretty drinkable for the ABV level and for the price $7.99. for a 4 pack. If you're in Michigan, don't pass up on this one!

06-02-2013 16:20:16 | More by BeerKangaroo
Alextricity

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Undated 16oz can bought for $2.19 and poured into a shaker pint.

First, I have to say ... I wonder if other people got an old bottle, or if Rochester Mills changed their recipe a bit with this beer, because I'm lost in how some of these people are describing this beer's nose and taste. ANYWAY...

Appearance: An amber color with a lot of haze. Finger or so of off-white, creamy head that stays around, surprisingly enough. Lacing blows my mind. The label itself is "clean", like any other Rochester Mills can is. Red and yellow with the words "Cornsterstone IPA" printed on. Simple, but attractive.

Smell: Quite sweet ... surprisingly sweet, with a medium hop nose. Really not as hoppy as I was expecting, given the label saying "This beer is for HopHeads".

Taste/feel: Sweet, again -- this may be the first standard IPA that I've had that I find being unbalanced... but with more sweetness than bitterness. The front has a crystal malt sort of sweetness, while the finish has piney and citrus hop flavors, with some moderate bitterness. Back of the throat also gets a touch of spice with some caramel malt. No traces of alcohol in the aroma, taste, or feel. To me, this almost drinks like an IIPA, and I don't have a problem with that. Another reason I say that is the mouthfeel. Cornerstone has that "tap" feel; it goes down very smooth, and doesn't have a very high carbonation... that alone makes me slightly think of HopSlam, especially given this brew's honey-like sweetness. Don't get me wrong, this is no HopSlam, but it has a couple similar characteristics.

I'm way above the rDev on this one, but what can I say ... this is a very tasty beer. To the "sip-by-sip" lacing, to the sweet then bitter taste, to the great mouthfeel, to the incredibly reasonable price of $2.19 per 16oz can, this is a beer that I could see myself going back to for a nicely priced, IIPA tasting IPA. I was thinking that this beer would become TOO sticky and cloying after awhile due to the immense amount of honey sort of flavors on the front, but the decent amount of bitterness on the finish balanced it all out very nicely. I wasn't too impressed with the other Rochester Mills offerings that I had previously (Milkshake Stout and Rochester Red), but this one does it for me.

05-28-2013 15:26:42 | More by Alextricity
GRPunk

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pint can poured into my M-I-D shaker pint.

A- Rich, golden-orange body is slightly hazed. Light carbonation. A gentle pour created a 1/2 finger, khaki head. Awesome lace. Good sustain on the head at a fully covering film. A little sediment at the bottom of the glass. A nice, unfiltered look.

S- really fresh and hoppy. Grapefruit and pineapple notes. Did I mention "fresh?" An underlying sweetness. A little bready. Malts come together like a pastry. Really nicely balanced in the end, as IPAs go.

T- Good. Not quite up to the aroma at first. Hopping is a little aspirin-like. Grainy malts through the middle. Another sip has me rethinking. Maybe more herbal and citrus. Definite citrus zest in finish, grapefruit. Pretty balanced.

M- Moderate carbonation. Pleasant hop bite.

O- This is a solid IPA. Available as a pint? In a bottle? Bonus! I'm thinking I just found my spring hiking beer.

03-03-2013 20:51:30 | More by GRPunk
RblWthACoz

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This comes across as a pretty good IPA. The drawback to me is that the flavor profile seems to drop off a bit too soon and quickly for me. There is a nice aftertaste going on. It's workable enough to drink, sure. Doesn't really strike me as something to continually go back to.

08-25-2012 17:24:18 | More by RblWthACoz
trxxpaxxs

A: Pours out a light honey color with a massive amount of floaties. There is about one half finger of pure white head that settles nicely over time. There is some lacing left on the glass as it drinks. But the floaties are out of control!

S: The nose if chalk full-o-malt with a touch of pine in the background. I'm hoping this beer is a bit old, and that it's not supposed to smell this malty.

T: There is some sweet malt right up front, and a thin citrus bite in the back end. There is a funky spoiled sour taste that I'm not enjoying at all.

M: Light bodied beer. Not much carbonation to speak of. There is nothing notable here.

O: I have a strong suspicion that this beer is pretty old. The smell and taste are both off, and the carbonation is non-existent. I'd like to try a fresh can sometime in the future to make sure what I just tried is not how the beer is supposed to taste. If it is... it's a straight up terrible beer.

01-25-2012 23:40:10 | More by trxxpaxxs
superspak

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

16 ounce can into pint glass, no canning date. Pours hazy golden amber color with a nice 1-2 finger dense off white head with great retention that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some spotty lacing on the glass as well. Aromas of big pine, grapefruit, orange, floral, caramel, bread, and herbal spiciness. Some fairly nice and well balanced aromas. Taste of big grapefruit, orange, caramel, pine, bread, floral, and herbal spiciness. Decent amount of bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange, pine, caramel, and spiciness on the finish for a bit. Nice malt and hop balance make this very smooth to drink. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden with hardly any warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very enjoyable, balanced, and drinkable IPA offering.

01-23-2012 02:42:14 | More by superspak
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Can purchased in Michigan a few weeks ago. Pours a hazy dark orange colour with thin white head. Some spots of lacing around the glass. Smells very malty, caramel I think. Some earthy and citrus hops. Metallic type aftertaste, which is a bit weird. Bitterness is pretty understated. Medium bodied carbonation. Just an ok IPA.

05-01-2011 02:18:32 | More by kwjd
indiapaleale

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Pour - dark honey, amber in color. Clean, clear appearance with a decent sized bubbly white head on top.

Aroma - caramel and orange juice in the aroma as well as some grassiness and lemon. A bit of vanilla and only a slight bit of pine. Not a whole lot of hoppiness in the nose.

Taste - definitely a malt forward IPA with a nice hoppiness that seems to appear at the back of the tongue as you get that first sip down. It's almost like a "hop ghost" appearing when you least expect it. Cornerstone has a good deal of caramel sweetness combining with orange and lemon citrus flavors as well as a bit of pineapple juice.

Overall - at first I wasn't sure what to think but then the hoppiness kicked in and the balanced nature of this IPA came out. Sure, it's not a crazy hop bomb but every beer has it's own unique signature so to speak. Give this one a shot, have an open mind and we're sure you'll enjoy it.

Would I buy more of it? - when it comes to cans of craft beer in Michigan we've got a lot to get through. With the recent announcement that Bell's will be canning in 2012 and a number of other Great Lakes State breweries about to release cans we might need to work our way back to this one, which should be a fun quest!

04-12-2011 23:54:58 | More by indiapaleale
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

This was sent to me in an awesome trade by lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: EXTREMELY (unfiltered) murky, gold color, with a darker shade in the middle and going up through the center of the beer. The generously foamy head was a few shades whiter than the brew itself, but still retained some brown highlights.

S: I could smell this from several feet away after immediately popping the can. Yikes! Citrus for sure: orange and pineapple. However, there was also more than a hint of rich candy sugar. Strong Centennial hops indeed!

T: A bit different experience on the taste buds. There was an overall, refreshing filtered water and yeast quality that cut through the potential candy sweetness nicely. I could really taste the barley in this one.

M: Not much of a lingering sweetness... the lacing also dictates that. The carbonation, although moderate to low, was still prickly and satisfying.

O: Many of the reviews on here that preceded mine didn't encapsulate my experience at all. That's the beauty of beer I guess. Thanks Ryan for sending me this tasty treat!

04-08-2011 02:07:07 | More by Chaney
woodychandler

What a great afternoon, thanks to my Michigan peeps! I began with a beautiful rendition of a lager, moved on to an equally nice APA and I finish with an AmeriCAN IPA as I segue off to my local to watch the Pitt/WVU Backyard Basketbrawl or Basketyard Brawl. The CANlQuest (TM) CANtinues on its march! How soon will it be # 500?

From the CAN: "An unfiltered, amber-colored ale packed with hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Dry hopped with Centennial hops for lots of flavor and a citrusy aromatic finish. (If you consider yourself a 'hophead', this one's for you). Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast"; "Why Craft Beer in a Can? A better question may be Why not? - Cans keep beer fresher for longer - Fully eliminate damaging light & oxygen - Highly portable & virtually unbreakable - Welcome where glass bottles aren't (the beach, pool, boat, trail, river, tub, backpack, stadium, golf course & many others. Imagine the possibilities. Where will you enjoy yours?": "Why 16 oz cans? - We wanted you to enjoy a full pint."; and "Head to the Source - visit the brewpub in downtown Rochester and enjoy the Mills' beers paired with great food & friends. 400 Water Street - Rochester, Michigan 48307".

Cue Jack Benny: "Rochester! Oh, Rochester, I say!" "Yowsah, boss!" "Go get me one of those CANs of beer that I have been saving for just these occasions." "Yowsah, boss!" Ha ha.

The Crack & Glug produced two foamy fingers of tawny head with great retention. Color was a murky orangish-amber. "Unfiltered?" Untouched! Keep your filthy diatomaceous earth (DE) away from my beer, you heathen! Hoppy? Like a bunny in this, the Year of the Rabbit! Full-on, unapologetic citrus hoppiness. My mouth was watering uncontrollably. One sip and I felt the needle pierce my vein as my Hop Jones was satiated. The Hop Monkey that rides around on my shoulders began to cease his incessant chattering and I was cured, o my bothers! F**k! I thought that I had kicked and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I'm hooked again. God damn, I say God damn the pusher man!

"You know, I've smoked a lot of grass, I've popped [open] a lot of [CANs], but I never touched nothin' that my spirit could kill [even Minhas]. You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round with tombstones in their eyes, but the pusher don't care ah, if you live or if you die. God damn, The Pusher! God damn, I say The Pusher! I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man! You know the [bartender], the [bartender] is a man with the love [tap]s [by] his hand, Oh but the [hops grower] is a monster. [Not really, just having fun]. Good God, he's not a natural man. The [bartender] for a [few dollars], Lord, will sell you lots of [AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers]. Ah, but the [hop grower] will ruin your body. Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream." Thank you, Steppenwolf, for summing it up nicely.

The taste, and that's all it took was a taste, was pure heaven. Citrusy initially, more towards orange than grapefruit, initially, then caramel so that I did not just float away. Those Brach's Orange Caramels, again! Man, I keep thinking of my late maternal grandmother lately and she would NOT have approved as she was a teetotaler. Finish was soft, laying me down in the gutter as thy opener and CAN comforted me. (See Dear Abby "King Heroin").

Well, now, I have a problem. This shit is TOO good to share with you booyahs, so I am giving it the lowest possible ratings so that I CAN have it all to myself. You want to score, score on your own corner, mo fo! I'm bogarting this for ME! I CAN't even put it in my cooler, 'cause I sold the thing to get some more scratch to buy some more. I wouldn't even want to go to the beach any more. I like it good and dark, baby. I'm putting aluminum foil on the windows, locking the doors and killing the phone as I type. Hey, bro, CAN I get a little cabbage to help a brother through a rough patch! I just wanna score another case, I mean, CAN of this little doll, dig?

Man, I'm flyin' higher than PanAm and TWA put together tonight! This is the real deal, baby. Accept no substitute and post no bills. Stamp help out because Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

02-07-2011 23:33:51 | More by woodychandler
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from the can a deep orange-copper color with two-fingers of off-white head.

Nice aroma of pine and citrus along with caramel malts and biscuit.

Grapefruit and pine upfront with caramel malts and biscuit following behind. Moderately bitter finish.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated.

Picked up a six while visiting family in Michigan and enjoyed each and every one.

09-19-2010 19:15:41 | More by Monkeyknife
nkersten

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, thanks Erik!

Thick and creamy off white head after vigorous pour, fades to a small cap that will stick around for most of the beer. Color is hazy amber with orange hues. Smell is floral hops complimented by some sweet malt and a hint of alcohol. Flavor follows smell, but adds a bit of citrusy hop character. Noticeable dry hop in the finish as well. Mouth feel is medium bodied with light carbonation, good finish. Very drinkable IPA with great hop characteristics. I would certainly pick this up if I saw it on the shelf.

09-09-2010 20:23:38 | More by nkersten
WeisGuy

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

16oz can

a - pours a deep copper color with a one-finger ivory head, retention around the edge with minimal lacing, quite hazy

s - very light aroma, caramel and biscuit malt with a subtle piney hop aroma, not much alcohol detected

t - lemon and pine hop notes up front, moderately bitter, significant caramel and biscuit malt, finish is lingering pine, lemon rind, light cola and caramel, light boozy heat

m - medium-bodied, moderate to light carbonation, pretty dry overall, light alcohol warming

d - not harsh on the palate, but not that interesting either, gets a bit boring halfway through the pint

Not too bad of an effort overall, but nothing I'll likely revisit. Worth buying a single if you see it in the store, but don't go out of your way for it.

09-02-2010 00:26:22 | More by WeisGuy
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.