Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

12-30-2013 04:23:09 | More by jaydoc
RblWthACoz

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This comes across as a pretty good IPA. The drawback to me is that the flavor profile seems to drop off a bit too soon and quickly for me. There is a nice aftertaste going on. It's workable enough to drink, sure. Doesn't really strike me as something to continually go back to.

08-25-2012 17:24:18 | More by RblWthACoz
woodychandler

What a great afternoon, thanks to my Michigan peeps! I began with a beautiful rendition of a lager, moved on to an equally nice APA and I finish with an AmeriCAN IPA as I segue off to my local to watch the Pitt/WVU Backyard Basketbrawl or Basketyard Brawl. The CANlQuest (TM) CANtinues on its march! How soon will it be # 500?

From the CAN: "An unfiltered, amber-colored ale packed with hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Dry hopped with Centennial hops for lots of flavor and a citrusy aromatic finish. (If you consider yourself a 'hophead', this one's for you). Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast"; "Why Craft Beer in a Can? A better question may be Why not? - Cans keep beer fresher for longer - Fully eliminate damaging light & oxygen - Highly portable & virtually unbreakable - Welcome where glass bottles aren't (the beach, pool, boat, trail, river, tub, backpack, stadium, golf course & many others. Imagine the possibilities. Where will you enjoy yours?": "Why 16 oz cans? - We wanted you to enjoy a full pint."; and "Head to the Source - visit the brewpub in downtown Rochester and enjoy the Mills' beers paired with great food & friends. 400 Water Street - Rochester, Michigan 48307".

Cue Jack Benny: "Rochester! Oh, Rochester, I say!" "Yowsah, boss!" "Go get me one of those CANs of beer that I have been saving for just these occasions." "Yowsah, boss!" Ha ha.

The Crack & Glug produced two foamy fingers of tawny head with great retention. Color was a murky orangish-amber. "Unfiltered?" Untouched! Keep your filthy diatomaceous earth (DE) away from my beer, you heathen! Hoppy? Like a bunny in this, the Year of the Rabbit! Full-on, unapologetic citrus hoppiness. My mouth was watering uncontrollably. One sip and I felt the needle pierce my vein as my Hop Jones was satiated. The Hop Monkey that rides around on my shoulders began to cease his incessant chattering and I was cured, o my bothers! F**k! I thought that I had kicked and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I'm hooked again. God damn, I say God damn the pusher man!

"You know, I've smoked a lot of grass, I've popped [open] a lot of [CANs], but I never touched nothin' that my spirit could kill [even Minhas]. You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round with tombstones in their eyes, but the pusher don't care ah, if you live or if you die. God damn, The Pusher! God damn, I say The Pusher! I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man! You know the [bartender], the [bartender] is a man with the love [tap]s [by] his hand, Oh but the [hops grower] is a monster. [Not really, just having fun]. Good God, he's not a natural man. The [bartender] for a [few dollars], Lord, will sell you lots of [AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers]. Ah, but the [hop grower] will ruin your body. Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream." Thank you, Steppenwolf, for summing it up nicely.

The taste, and that's all it took was a taste, was pure heaven. Citrusy initially, more towards orange than grapefruit, initially, then caramel so that I did not just float away. Those Brach's Orange Caramels, again! Man, I keep thinking of my late maternal grandmother lately and she would NOT have approved as she was a teetotaler. Finish was soft, laying me down in the gutter as thy opener and CAN comforted me. (See Dear Abby "King Heroin").

Well, now, I have a problem. This shit is TOO good to share with you booyahs, so I am giving it the lowest possible ratings so that I CAN have it all to myself. You want to score, score on your own corner, mo fo! I'm bogarting this for ME! I CAN't even put it in my cooler, 'cause I sold the thing to get some more scratch to buy some more. I wouldn't even want to go to the beach any more. I like it good and dark, baby. I'm putting aluminum foil on the windows, locking the doors and killing the phone as I type. Hey, bro, CAN I get a little cabbage to help a brother through a rough patch! I just wanna score another case, I mean, CAN of this little doll, dig?

Man, I'm flyin' higher than PanAm and TWA put together tonight! This is the real deal, baby. Accept no substitute and post no bills. Stamp help out because Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

02-07-2011 23:33:51 | More by woodychandler
superspak

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

16 ounce can into pint glass, no canning date. Pours hazy golden amber color with a nice 1-2 finger dense off white head with great retention that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some spotty lacing on the glass as well. Aromas of big pine, grapefruit, orange, floral, caramel, bread, and herbal spiciness. Some fairly nice and well balanced aromas. Taste of big grapefruit, orange, caramel, pine, bread, floral, and herbal spiciness. Decent amount of bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange, pine, caramel, and spiciness on the finish for a bit. Nice malt and hop balance make this very smooth to drink. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden with hardly any warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very enjoyable, balanced, and drinkable IPA offering.

01-23-2012 02:42:14 | More by superspak

04-03-2013 18:08:51 | More by Zaphog
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Comes out of the tap a nice hazy amber, although with minimal head. Aroma is strongly hoppy and appealing, if not complex. Flavor is mainly hoppy and just a little malty, somewhat bitter. Texture is fairly fizzy and tingly. This IPA is worthy of at least a try.

07-08-2010 00:46:53 | More by Cyberkedi
Brenden

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer pours from the can a clear medium-dark orange. Initially, the yellow-tinted head sits a very creamy two fingers high. Retention is very good, and it takes the entire session to settle, and never to less than half a finger of dense, rocky foam. The lacing forms in rings where the beer settles for any length of time, webbing between the rings.
Plenty of hops in the nose balance with sweeter malts notes. Pine, flower and candied citrus rind meld with toffee and bread for balance and a good complexity. It's good, so I wish it was stronger.
The taste is equally hop-forward and balanced. The malts provide more candi sugar-like sweetness, similar to dried tropical fruits and apricots as it blends with the hops. Citrus, breads, and a touch of jam just in the finish make for a unique profile. Alcohol keeps a muted but consistent presence the whole way through.
The body is medium and the feel as focused on smoothness as much as crispness. A tea-like something sneaks into a nicely lingering finish.

08-12-2013 23:54:04 | More by Brenden
alexgash

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

16 oz. can (tall).

Pours a cloudy apricot copper. Tall, two fingers of creamy, dense, beige head. Good retention and great lacing. Nose of candied fruits, rich caramel/toffee, and a nice blend of citrus, pineapple, mint, and pine hops.

Toasted malts and sweetish toffee up front. Pine and herbal hop bitterness follow and stay throughout. Sweet tropical fruits mid-palate. Pineapple and lemon hop flavors mix in. Finish is sappy, herbal, bitter, with lots of residual malt sweetness. Nice long hop burn. I can definitely taste the Centennials in this. Medium body, with a low-carbonated, creamy feel. Pretty damn good! Glad to see another MI craft beer in a can too!

07-30-2010 01:00:37 | More by alexgash
LilBeerDoctor

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Reviewed on 6/21/2010. On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy orange brown with a small white head. Aroma of citrus, sweet bready malt, and floral hops. Flavor of citrus, sweaty hops, caramel malt, and floral hops. A malt-forward IPA vs. a super hopped IPA but it was still a good drinker.

12-23-2010 23:32:53 | More by LilBeerDoctor
tectactoe

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gotta love a canned IPA (or any canned beer, for that matter), right? Cornerstone IPA pours somewhere along the lines of a bruised orange peel and/or rustic amber, about halfway along the clear-opaque scale. A bouffant, dingy-white head grows big and fluffy and leaves towering sheets of lacing and plentiful webbing on the glass during its descent.

The aroma's pretty potent... actually much more potent than I was expecting for some reason. Piney, citric hops all the way, with extra helpings of brash pine needles, grapefruit peels, and some ashy, peppery background spice. Malts seem to provide a hefty sweetness without actually contributing much to the aroma itself, aside from maybe a pinch of biscuits.

I'm picking up a mildly soapy aroma far off in the distance (and no, it's not from washing my glass). While undesirable, it's not heavy enough to kill things for me. At least not yet. The pungency on the nose is impressive, my standards are higher now than they were before. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess we'll see.

The first sip isn't nearly as bitter as I thought it'd be, especially after the pine-needle, pungent hop assault from the aroma. A nice, bready malt base is laid out, first and foremost with plenty of sweet undertones to combat the greens. Hops add an intangible juicy and fruity aspect to this one; heavy on the oranges and tangerines with some lighter mentions of citrus.

A more leafy and spicy side of the hop starts working the back of the tongue late in the game, finally hitting with a little bitterness to balance the sweet. Overall, this beer actually has great balance, and drinks more like a pale ale than an actual IPA, aside from the heavier, stickier mouth feel. Carbonation is good and helps the flavors to come alive. The aftertaste is crowded with oranges, some faintly tropical fruits, and a hint of crisp, cracker-y malt.

My expectations were naught for this one and it actually proved to be quite enjoyable. Isn't that usually how things go, though? Not sure how old this beer is, but the hops are vibrant enough in flavor to make me believe that it's relatively fresh. A little more bitterness wouldn't hurt, but the balance is nice and it drinks easier than 7% ABV. Overall, not a bad 16 oz. canned IPA choice.

07-06-2013 18:38:02 | More by tectactoe
VelvetExtract

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a fairly clear orange color with a chunky, jagged head. Thick lacing remnants are left.

S-A dull, generically hopped aroma with an equal amount of malty balance. It's well hopped but I don't get much detail.

T-I enjoyed the flavor more. It introduces itself with a rather strong grassy hop flavor. Also some sudsy hops. Citrus elements as well. The malt is pretty basic and welcoming.

M-Drinks easy enough. The 7% is hidden well. Dry...quite dry.

O/D-Wasn't a huge fan. It's at best mediocre. Also, what a terrible looking can. Reminds me of a can of Coors Extra Gold with red font.

12-06-2013 01:51:44 | More by VelvetExtract
tommy5

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

01-14-2014 15:42:47 | More by tommy5
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

This was sent to me in an awesome trade by lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: EXTREMELY (unfiltered) murky, gold color, with a darker shade in the middle and going up through the center of the beer. The generously foamy head was a few shades whiter than the brew itself, but still retained some brown highlights.

S: I could smell this from several feet away after immediately popping the can. Yikes! Citrus for sure: orange and pineapple. However, there was also more than a hint of rich candy sugar. Strong Centennial hops indeed!

T: A bit different experience on the taste buds. There was an overall, refreshing filtered water and yeast quality that cut through the potential candy sweetness nicely. I could really taste the barley in this one.

M: Not much of a lingering sweetness... the lacing also dictates that. The carbonation, although moderate to low, was still prickly and satisfying.

O: Many of the reviews on here that preceded mine didn't encapsulate my experience at all. That's the beauty of beer I guess. Thanks Ryan for sending me this tasty treat!

04-08-2011 02:07:07 | More by Chaney
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Can purchased in Michigan a few weeks ago. Pours a hazy dark orange colour with thin white head. Some spots of lacing around the glass. Smells very malty, caramel I think. Some earthy and citrus hops. Metallic type aftertaste, which is a bit weird. Bitterness is pretty understated. Medium bodied carbonation. Just an ok IPA.

05-01-2011 02:18:32 | More by kwjd

01-01-2012 23:57:18 | More by CoryR
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from the can a deep orange-copper color with two-fingers of off-white head.

Nice aroma of pine and citrus along with caramel malts and biscuit.

Grapefruit and pine upfront with caramel malts and biscuit following behind. Moderately bitter finish.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated.

Picked up a six while visiting family in Michigan and enjoyed each and every one.

09-19-2010 19:15:41 | More by Monkeyknife
MDDMD

02-15-2014 01:41:41 | More by MDDMD
WeisGuy

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

16oz can

a - pours a deep copper color with a one-finger ivory head, retention around the edge with minimal lacing, quite hazy

s - very light aroma, caramel and biscuit malt with a subtle piney hop aroma, not much alcohol detected

t - lemon and pine hop notes up front, moderately bitter, significant caramel and biscuit malt, finish is lingering pine, lemon rind, light cola and caramel, light boozy heat

m - medium-bodied, moderate to light carbonation, pretty dry overall, light alcohol warming

d - not harsh on the palate, but not that interesting either, gets a bit boring halfway through the pint

Not too bad of an effort overall, but nothing I'll likely revisit. Worth buying a single if you see it in the store, but don't go out of your way for it.

09-02-2010 00:26:22 | More by WeisGuy
trxxpaxxs

A: Pours out a light honey color with a massive amount of floaties. There is about one half finger of pure white head that settles nicely over time. There is some lacing left on the glass as it drinks. But the floaties are out of control!

S: The nose if chalk full-o-malt with a touch of pine in the background. I'm hoping this beer is a bit old, and that it's not supposed to smell this malty.

T: There is some sweet malt right up front, and a thin citrus bite in the back end. There is a funky spoiled sour taste that I'm not enjoying at all.

M: Light bodied beer. Not much carbonation to speak of. There is nothing notable here.

O: I have a strong suspicion that this beer is pretty old. The smell and taste are both off, and the carbonation is non-existent. I'd like to try a fresh can sometime in the future to make sure what I just tried is not how the beer is supposed to taste. If it is... it's a straight up terrible beer.

01-25-2012 23:40:10 | More by trxxpaxxs
JohnnieNepal

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

02-23-2013 00:25:09 | More by JohnnieNepal
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.