Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002)

Joebraggot, Nov 20, 2013

Drk93TT, Nov 16, 2013
3.74/5  rDev +5.4%

I love this beer for the caramel taste. It's like beer candy! It has a nice bite of hops, but the dominant characteristic is sweet caramel.

The color is a fairly deep, cloudy amber. The smell immediately notifies you of this beer's sweetness. The mouthfeel is full and smooth. And the taste is sweet caramel!

Basically, if you don't like a little sweet in your IPA, move along to a different pale ale. If you like the malty caramel sweetness, crack one open.

Beerdanza, Nov 12, 2013

ygtbsm94, Oct 24, 2013

MattBreight, Oct 14, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

alrhodesjr, Sep 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

twkirkby, Sep 06, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +15.2%

This beer pours from the can a clear medium-dark orange. Initially, the yellow-tinted head sits a very creamy two fingers high. Retention is very good, and it takes the entire session to settle, and never to less than half a finger of dense, rocky foam. The lacing forms in rings where the beer settles for any length of time, webbing between the rings.
Plenty of hops in the nose balance with sweeter malts notes. Pine, flower and candied citrus rind meld with toffee and bread for balance and a good complexity. It's good, so I wish it was stronger.
The taste is equally hop-forward and balanced. The malts provide more candi sugar-like sweetness, similar to dried tropical fruits and apricots as it blends with the hops. Citrus, breads, and a touch of jam just in the finish make for a unique profile. Alcohol keeps a muted but consistent presence the whole way through.
The body is medium and the feel as focused on smoothness as much as crispness. A tea-like something sneaks into a nicely lingering finish.

Brenden, Aug 12, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

olafphysics, Aug 09, 2013

jbierling, Aug 04, 2013

HisBoyElroy, Jul 27, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

A- hazy orange with about 1.5 inch off white head. Rings of clingy lacing

S- fresh hops prevail grassy, citricy, grapefruit

T- hop forward with very nice balanced finish. I'd classify this as AIPA. Finish leaves some malty sweetness lingering and drawing me toward another sip.

M- feel is fuller and creamier than expected.

I- a nice pleasant surprise as this beer exceeded my expectations in nearly every aspect. I will definitely look for this one again.

Donnelj, Jul 26, 2013

StoutHunter, Jul 25, 2013

Andrew526, Jul 23, 2013

DMarlinJ, Jul 22, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Gotta love a canned IPA (or any canned beer, for that matter), right? Cornerstone IPA pours somewhere along the lines of a bruised orange peel and/or rustic amber, about halfway along the clear-opaque scale. A bouffant, dingy-white head grows big and fluffy and leaves towering sheets of lacing and plentiful webbing on the glass during its descent.

The aroma's pretty potent... actually much more potent than I was expecting for some reason. Piney, citric hops all the way, with extra helpings of brash pine needles, grapefruit peels, and some ashy, peppery background spice. Malts seem to provide a hefty sweetness without actually contributing much to the aroma itself, aside from maybe a pinch of biscuits.

I'm picking up a mildly soapy aroma far off in the distance (and no, it's not from washing my glass). While undesirable, it's not heavy enough to kill things for me. At least not yet. The pungency on the nose is impressive, my standards are higher now than they were before. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess we'll see.

The first sip isn't nearly as bitter as I thought it'd be, especially after the pine-needle, pungent hop assault from the aroma. A nice, bready malt base is laid out, first and foremost with plenty of sweet undertones to combat the greens. Hops add an intangible juicy and fruity aspect to this one; heavy on the oranges and tangerines with some lighter mentions of citrus.

A more leafy and spicy side of the hop starts working the back of the tongue late in the game, finally hitting with a little bitterness to balance the sweet. Overall, this beer actually has great balance, and drinks more like a pale ale than an actual IPA, aside from the heavier, stickier mouth feel. Carbonation is good and helps the flavors to come alive. The aftertaste is crowded with oranges, some faintly tropical fruits, and a hint of crisp, cracker-y malt.

My expectations were naught for this one and it actually proved to be quite enjoyable. Isn't that usually how things go, though? Not sure how old this beer is, but the hops are vibrant enough in flavor to make me believe that it's relatively fresh. A little more bitterness wouldn't hurt, but the balance is nice and it drinks easier than 7% ABV. Overall, not a bad 16 oz. canned IPA choice.

tectactoe, Jul 06, 2013

kyle86, Jun 10, 2013

SpongeRuiner, Jun 02, 2013

rkf1976, Jun 02, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +16.3%

Undated 16oz can bought for $2.19 and poured into a shaker pint.

First, I have to say ... I wonder if other people got an old bottle, or if Rochester Mills changed their recipe a bit with this beer, because I'm lost in how some of these people are describing this beer's nose and taste. ANYWAY...

Appearance: An amber color with a lot of haze. Finger or so of off-white, creamy head that stays around, surprisingly enough. Lacing blows my mind. The label itself is "clean", like any other Rochester Mills can is. Red and yellow with the words "Cornsterstone IPA" printed on. Simple, but attractive.

Smell: Quite sweet ... surprisingly sweet, with a medium hop nose. Really not as hoppy as I was expecting, given the label saying "This beer is for HopHeads".

Taste/feel: Sweet, again -- this may be the first standard IPA that I've had that I find being unbalanced... but with more sweetness than bitterness. The front has a crystal malt sort of sweetness, while the finish has piney and citrus hop flavors, with some moderate bitterness. Back of the throat also gets a touch of spice with some caramel malt. No traces of alcohol in the aroma, taste, or feel. To me, this almost drinks like an IIPA, and I don't have a problem with that. Another reason I say that is the mouthfeel. Cornerstone has that "tap" feel; it goes down very smooth, and doesn't have a very high carbonation... that alone makes me slightly think of HopSlam, especially given this brew's honey-like sweetness. Don't get me wrong, this is no HopSlam, but it has a couple similar characteristics.

I'm way above the rDev on this one, but what can I say ... this is a very tasty beer. To the "sip-by-sip" lacing, to the sweet then bitter taste, to the great mouthfeel, to the incredibly reasonable price of $2.19 per 16oz can, this is a beer that I could see myself going back to for a nicely priced, IIPA tasting IPA. I was thinking that this beer would become TOO sticky and cloying after awhile due to the immense amount of honey sort of flavors on the front, but the decent amount of bitterness on the finish balanced it all out very nicely. I wasn't too impressed with the other Rochester Mills offerings that I had previously (Milkshake Stout and Rochester Red), but this one does it for me.

Alextricity, May 28, 2013
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.