Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002)

miwestcoaster, Jul 05, 2013

kyle86, Jun 10, 2013

SpongeRuiner, Jun 02, 2013

rkf1976, Jun 02, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

Undated 16oz can bought for $2.19 and poured into a shaker pint.

First, I have to say ... I wonder if other people got an old bottle, or if Rochester Mills changed their recipe a bit with this beer, because I'm lost in how some of these people are describing this beer's nose and taste. ANYWAY...

Appearance: An amber color with a lot of haze. Finger or so of off-white, creamy head that stays around, surprisingly enough. Lacing blows my mind. The label itself is "clean", like any other Rochester Mills can is. Red and yellow with the words "Cornsterstone IPA" printed on. Simple, but attractive.

Smell: Quite sweet ... surprisingly sweet, with a medium hop nose. Really not as hoppy as I was expecting, given the label saying "This beer is for HopHeads".

Taste/feel: Sweet, again -- this may be the first standard IPA that I've had that I find being unbalanced... but with more sweetness than bitterness. The front has a crystal malt sort of sweetness, while the finish has piney and citrus hop flavors, with some moderate bitterness. Back of the throat also gets a touch of spice with some caramel malt. No traces of alcohol in the aroma, taste, or feel. To me, this almost drinks like an IIPA, and I don't have a problem with that. Another reason I say that is the mouthfeel. Cornerstone has that "tap" feel; it goes down very smooth, and doesn't have a very high carbonation... that alone makes me slightly think of HopSlam, especially given this brew's honey-like sweetness. Don't get me wrong, this is no HopSlam, but it has a couple similar characteristics.

I'm way above the rDev on this one, but what can I say ... this is a very tasty beer. To the "sip-by-sip" lacing, to the sweet then bitter taste, to the great mouthfeel, to the incredibly reasonable price of $2.19 per 16oz can, this is a beer that I could see myself going back to for a nicely priced, IIPA tasting IPA. I was thinking that this beer would become TOO sticky and cloying after awhile due to the immense amount of honey sort of flavors on the front, but the decent amount of bitterness on the finish balanced it all out very nicely. I wasn't too impressed with the other Rochester Mills offerings that I had previously (Milkshake Stout and Rochester Red), but this one does it for me.

Alextricity, May 28, 2013

Zaphog, Apr 03, 2013

mzeld, Mar 31, 2013

Kerrie, Mar 04, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pint can poured into my M-I-D shaker pint.

A- Rich, golden-orange body is slightly hazed. Light carbonation. A gentle pour created a 1/2 finger, khaki head. Awesome lace. Good sustain on the head at a fully covering film. A little sediment at the bottom of the glass. A nice, unfiltered look.

S- really fresh and hoppy. Grapefruit and pineapple notes. Did I mention "fresh?" An underlying sweetness. A little bready. Malts come together like a pastry. Really nicely balanced in the end, as IPAs go.

T- Good. Not quite up to the aroma at first. Hopping is a little aspirin-like. Grainy malts through the middle. Another sip has me rethinking. Maybe more herbal and citrus. Definite citrus zest in finish, grapefruit. Pretty balanced.

M- Moderate carbonation. Pleasant hop bite.

O- This is a solid IPA. Available as a pint? In a bottle? Bonus! I'm thinking I just found my spring hiking beer.

GRPunk, Mar 03, 2013

brandoman63, Jan 30, 2013

Scotthuller, Jan 21, 2013

sjanowiak, Jan 06, 2013

JVoyager, Dec 21, 2012
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.