Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPARochester Mills Cornerstone IPA

good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
adamant1912

11-17-2011 07:43:00 | More by adamant1912
FanofHefe

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Mostly clear dark yellow body with a bit of orange hue. One-finger off-white head with a small amount of lacing.

I'm getting mostly citrus, lemon primarily and a bit of orange in the aroma. Otherwise, a bit of pine and a touch of caramel malt.

Pretty tasty blend of flavors that follows the aroma very closely. Nice piney hop flavor to accompany the citrus. Decent malt blend but not too sweet.

Medium to light texture in the mouthfeel that drinks easily. Good effort here; if canned, that's a plus, too.

08-01-2011 21:55:37 | More by FanofHefe
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Can purchased in Michigan a few weeks ago. Pours a hazy dark orange colour with thin white head. Some spots of lacing around the glass. Smells very malty, caramel I think. Some earthy and citrus hops. Metallic type aftertaste, which is a bit weird. Bitterness is pretty understated. Medium bodied carbonation. Just an ok IPA.

05-01-2011 02:18:32 | More by kwjd
indiapaleale

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pour - dark honey, amber in color. Clean, clear appearance with a decent sized bubbly white head on top.

Aroma - caramel and orange juice in the aroma as well as some grassiness and lemon. A bit of vanilla and only a slight bit of pine. Not a whole lot of hoppiness in the nose.

Taste - definitely a malt forward IPA with a nice hoppiness that seems to appear at the back of the tongue as you get that first sip down. It's almost like a "hop ghost" appearing when you least expect it. Cornerstone has a good deal of caramel sweetness combining with orange and lemon citrus flavors as well as a bit of pineapple juice.

Overall - at first I wasn't sure what to think but then the hoppiness kicked in and the balanced nature of this IPA came out. Sure, it's not a crazy hop bomb but every beer has it's own unique signature so to speak. Give this one a shot, have an open mind and we're sure you'll enjoy it.

Would I buy more of it? - when it comes to cans of craft beer in Michigan we've got a lot to get through. With the recent announcement that Bell's will be canning in 2012 and a number of other Great Lakes State breweries about to release cans we might need to work our way back to this one, which should be a fun quest!

04-12-2011 23:54:58 | More by indiapaleale
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

This was sent to me in an awesome trade by lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: EXTREMELY (unfiltered) murky, gold color, with a darker shade in the middle and going up through the center of the beer. The generously foamy head was a few shades whiter than the brew itself, but still retained some brown highlights.

S: I could smell this from several feet away after immediately popping the can. Yikes! Citrus for sure: orange and pineapple. However, there was also more than a hint of rich candy sugar. Strong Centennial hops indeed!

T: A bit different experience on the taste buds. There was an overall, refreshing filtered water and yeast quality that cut through the potential candy sweetness nicely. I could really taste the barley in this one.

M: Not much of a lingering sweetness... the lacing also dictates that. The carbonation, although moderate to low, was still prickly and satisfying.

O: Many of the reviews on here that preceded mine didn't encapsulate my experience at all. That's the beauty of beer I guess. Thanks Ryan for sending me this tasty treat!

04-08-2011 02:07:07 | More by Chaney
woodychandler

What a great afternoon, thanks to my Michigan peeps! I began with a beautiful rendition of a lager, moved on to an equally nice APA and I finish with an AmeriCAN IPA as I segue off to my local to watch the Pitt/WVU Backyard Basketbrawl or Basketyard Brawl. The CANlQuest (TM) CANtinues on its march! How soon will it be # 500?

From the CAN: "An unfiltered, amber-colored ale packed with hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Dry hopped with Centennial hops for lots of flavor and a citrusy aromatic finish. (If you consider yourself a 'hophead', this one's for you). Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast"; "Why Craft Beer in a Can? A better question may be Why not? - Cans keep beer fresher for longer - Fully eliminate damaging light & oxygen - Highly portable & virtually unbreakable - Welcome where glass bottles aren't (the beach, pool, boat, trail, river, tub, backpack, stadium, golf course & many others. Imagine the possibilities. Where will you enjoy yours?": "Why 16 oz cans? - We wanted you to enjoy a full pint."; and "Head to the Source - visit the brewpub in downtown Rochester and enjoy the Mills' beers paired with great food & friends. 400 Water Street - Rochester, Michigan 48307".

Cue Jack Benny: "Rochester! Oh, Rochester, I say!" "Yowsah, boss!" "Go get me one of those CANs of beer that I have been saving for just these occasions." "Yowsah, boss!" Ha ha.

The Crack & Glug produced two foamy fingers of tawny head with great retention. Color was a murky orangish-amber. "Unfiltered?" Untouched! Keep your filthy diatomaceous earth (DE) away from my beer, you heathen! Hoppy? Like a bunny in this, the Year of the Rabbit! Full-on, unapologetic citrus hoppiness. My mouth was watering uncontrollably. One sip and I felt the needle pierce my vein as my Hop Jones was satiated. The Hop Monkey that rides around on my shoulders began to cease his incessant chattering and I was cured, o my bothers! F**k! I thought that I had kicked and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I'm hooked again. God damn, I say God damn the pusher man!

"You know, I've smoked a lot of grass, I've popped [open] a lot of [CANs], but I never touched nothin' that my spirit could kill [even Minhas]. You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round with tombstones in their eyes, but the pusher don't care ah, if you live or if you die. God damn, The Pusher! God damn, I say The Pusher! I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man! You know the [bartender], the [bartender] is a man with the love [tap]s [by] his hand, Oh but the [hops grower] is a monster. [Not really, just having fun]. Good God, he's not a natural man. The [bartender] for a [few dollars], Lord, will sell you lots of [AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers]. Ah, but the [hop grower] will ruin your body. Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream." Thank you, Steppenwolf, for summing it up nicely.

The taste, and that's all it took was a taste, was pure heaven. Citrusy initially, more towards orange than grapefruit, initially, then caramel so that I did not just float away. Those Brach's Orange Caramels, again! Man, I keep thinking of my late maternal grandmother lately and she would NOT have approved as she was a teetotaler. Finish was soft, laying me down in the gutter as thy opener and CAN comforted me. (See Dear Abby "King Heroin").

Well, now, I have a problem. This shit is TOO good to share with you booyahs, so I am giving it the lowest possible ratings so that I CAN have it all to myself. You want to score, score on your own corner, mo fo! I'm bogarting this for ME! I CAN't even put it in my cooler, 'cause I sold the thing to get some more scratch to buy some more. I wouldn't even want to go to the beach any more. I like it good and dark, baby. I'm putting aluminum foil on the windows, locking the doors and killing the phone as I type. Hey, bro, CAN I get a little cabbage to help a brother through a rough patch! I just wanna score another case, I mean, CAN of this little doll, dig?

Man, I'm flyin' higher than PanAm and TWA put together tonight! This is the real deal, baby. Accept no substitute and post no bills. Stamp help out because Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

02-07-2011 23:33:51 | More by woodychandler
LilBeerDoctor

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Reviewed on 6/21/2010. On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy orange brown with a small white head. Aroma of citrus, sweet bready malt, and floral hops. Flavor of citrus, sweaty hops, caramel malt, and floral hops. A malt-forward IPA vs. a super hopped IPA but it was still a good drinker.

12-23-2010 23:32:53 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from the can a deep orange-copper color with two-fingers of off-white head.

Nice aroma of pine and citrus along with caramel malts and biscuit.

Grapefruit and pine upfront with caramel malts and biscuit following behind. Moderately bitter finish.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated.

Picked up a six while visiting family in Michigan and enjoyed each and every one.

09-19-2010 19:15:41 | More by Monkeyknife
nkersten

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, thanks Erik!

Thick and creamy off white head after vigorous pour, fades to a small cap that will stick around for most of the beer. Color is hazy amber with orange hues. Smell is floral hops complimented by some sweet malt and a hint of alcohol. Flavor follows smell, but adds a bit of citrusy hop character. Noticeable dry hop in the finish as well. Mouth feel is medium bodied with light carbonation, good finish. Very drinkable IPA with great hop characteristics. I would certainly pick this up if I saw it on the shelf.

09-09-2010 20:23:38 | More by nkersten
WeisGuy

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

16oz can

a - pours a deep copper color with a one-finger ivory head, retention around the edge with minimal lacing, quite hazy

s - very light aroma, caramel and biscuit malt with a subtle piney hop aroma, not much alcohol detected

t - lemon and pine hop notes up front, moderately bitter, significant caramel and biscuit malt, finish is lingering pine, lemon rind, light cola and caramel, light boozy heat

m - medium-bodied, moderate to light carbonation, pretty dry overall, light alcohol warming

d - not harsh on the palate, but not that interesting either, gets a bit boring halfway through the pint

Not too bad of an effort overall, but nothing I'll likely revisit. Worth buying a single if you see it in the store, but don't go out of your way for it.

09-02-2010 00:26:22 | More by WeisGuy
hosehead83

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Served from a 16oz. "tall boy" can into a standard pint glass
Deep golden orange in color with a moderate head of foam
Aroma-Piney citrus notes
Taste-Grapefruit-rind bitterness with a nice malt backbone for balance. Good mouthfeel leads to a long, bitter finish.
Overall, a pretty good brew in a can. Nice "boat" beer.

08-23-2010 12:36:10 | More by hosehead83
nickadams2

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A_Cloudy amber with a thick,frothy head.Gobby lacing up and down the glass.

S_Hops,floral,and pine. Pretty mellow.

T_Hops,floral,pine.Earthy/grassy hops followed by a soft malt bill.Really balanced not as much bite as most IPAs but definitely not lacking in flavor.

M_Smooth,thick,creamy and full bodied. Really coats the mouth.

D_Exceptionally drinkable IPA.

08-19-2010 15:37:38 | More by nickadams2
alexgash

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

16 oz. can (tall).

Pours a cloudy apricot copper. Tall, two fingers of creamy, dense, beige head. Good retention and great lacing. Nose of candied fruits, rich caramel/toffee, and a nice blend of citrus, pineapple, mint, and pine hops.

Toasted malts and sweetish toffee up front. Pine and herbal hop bitterness follow and stay throughout. Sweet tropical fruits mid-palate. Pineapple and lemon hop flavors mix in. Finish is sappy, herbal, bitter, with lots of residual malt sweetness. Nice long hop burn. I can definitely taste the Centennials in this. Medium body, with a low-carbonated, creamy feel. Pretty damn good! Glad to see another MI craft beer in a can too!

07-30-2010 01:00:37 | More by alexgash
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Comes out of the tap a nice hazy amber, although with minimal head. Aroma is strongly hoppy and appealing, if not complex. Flavor is mainly hoppy and just a little malty, somewhat bitter. Texture is fairly fizzy and tingly. This IPA is worthy of at least a try.

07-08-2010 00:46:53 | More by Cyberkedi
kbeals

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

A- 12 oz. bottle decanted into a pint glass reveals a cloudy, dark golden beer with about two fingers of white, frothy head. Good head retention and really good lacing.

S- Not much here, a bit of malty sweetness and earthy hops. It's balanced, but there's just not much there.

T- Taste is sort of blah, a bit of hops, more earthy than anything, kind of like biting into a flower stem. No malt bill really to speak of.

M- Smooth, well carbonated, nothing to really hurt it in this category.

D- The lighter body makes it an easy drinker, I was somewhat surprised to see the 7% ABV.

11-30-2009 17:58:18 | More by kbeals
ChuckVee

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

I live a few blocks from the brewery, and have been drinking this beer weekly for around 10 years. The recipe has changed with each new brewer, but the recent incarnation is certainly their best.
As people before me have said, this beer is all about the hops. Very intense hop bomb bitterness with a big delicious citrusy flavor that makes it incredibly quenching and quaffable. There is not a lot of malt support, but the beer is intentionally designed as a hop showcase. My personal opinion is that it would not be as good if they upped the malt bill.

Easily the Mills best beer, and one of my favorite American IPA's of all time.

12-03-2008 15:24:12 | More by ChuckVee
berserker256

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer started off as a normal-looking one. Nice golden color and dissapated head by the time the waitress brought it to me. (She wasn't slow. But the head went away in a couple minutes.) A huge stink of hops is immediately obvious when you dip your nose into the rim. That was quite impressive and then I tasted it. Jesus Christ... Floral hops? This beer tastes like a Christmas Tree! The immediate flavor that punches your tounge is Christmas tree and then once you set the glass down the taste that invades your mouth is juniper bush. It's crazy. I've never tasted an I.P.A. quite like this. I HAD to have my wife try it... even though she's pregnant. She took a very small sip and said "whoa!... Pine tree!"

It was a little bit too overwhelming. They must have hopped the hell out of this brew. Weird beer. I'll have to try another batch in the future...

11-06-2007 18:53:58 | More by berserker256
CoSMoSYS

2.55/5  rDev -28.4%

Got this on tap last night when my girlfriend and I went to dinner with some friends from Maryland.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow and about a quarter inch of head. Head took off rather quickly and I didn't notice any lacing whatsoever.

Smell was of citrus, pepper and hops...definitely hops!

The first thing that struck me was the rush of extreme hops and pepper as I drank this beer. It wasn't really the bitterness that got me but just how peppery this beer tasted. Everything else was insignificant compared to that.

Felt like a light bodied beer that didn't have any carbonation bubbles as you drank. Aftertaste was bitter and peppery.

I thought I would give IPA's another try but was proved that I was not as ready as I thought I was. Seriously...only true hop head need apply!

10-20-2007 16:43:55 | More by CoSMoSYS
myboyblue

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass. Picked up two six packs from the brewery for about $17 including tax and deposit. They also offer growlers.

Cloudy copper in pint glass with quickly fading head, some foam remains on top.

Smells good, like grapefruit hops. Promising.

Taste...Umm, like grapefruit hops. Thats it. Then a bitter and dry finish. Very little malt. This beer is for true hop-heads only! Imagine Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with only a strong hops flavour. Or carbonated grapefruit juice. Could benefit from a little less hops and a little more malt flavour.

Mouthfeel is great, carbonated on the tounge, but not too much. Slightly creamy.

Drinkabality is affected by the extreme bitterness of this brew. I really wouldn't want to drink more than one or two of these.

Although this is a great beer that you should try if you like IPAs, it is too unbalanced for my tastes. Try their Sacrilicous Stout!

02-11-2005 03:58:26 | More by myboyblue
mjohn27603

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

Purchased from brewpub directly - stored in a refrigerator on site. 12 oz bottle. Also available on tap. Copper in color, head seems to dissapate quickly. I don't pick up much aroma. If anything the smell is more on the malty side than hoppy. First sip gives obvious hops bitterness associated with this style. However, I don't get any underlying maltiness or sweetness to balance the flavor. I enjoy this style with a little bit of citrus taste or something besides an assault of hops. Carbonation is fizzy. A bit on the dry side.

11-09-2002 19:57:24 | More by mjohn27603
Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA from Rochester Mills Beer Co.