Rochester Mills Rochester Red - Rochester Mills Beer Co.

Rochester Mills Rochester Red
No picture uploaded.
good

Rochester Mills Beer Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 11-10-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 13

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

2.75/5  rDev -21%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.36/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pint can poured into a nonic.

A- 1-finger tan head. Amber-brown body with some sediment floaties that eventually settled out. Good stick.

S- Lots of caramel. A little char. Some bready notes. Nuttiness was lighter still. Pretty bold overall.

T- Fairly malt-centric. Caramel mostly. A bit of a sweet linger.

M- Medium bodied, maybe full for style. Medium carbonation.

O- Robust, but still kind of run of the mill (honestly no pun intended). I'd get it again as I wonder about the age or batch issues due to the amount of sediment. I'd especially give it another chance since this one was free.

3.52/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a deep brown with a big fluffy head that runs away quickly.

S - Malt forward, brown sugar, cake batter, not much from a hop perspective.

T - Follows suit from the nose - deep malt flavors but not enough hops to balance this brew.

O - Solid and I would pick it up again, but nothing to blow you away. I wish it had a bit more hop presence.

3.21/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a can of Rochester Mills Rochester Red last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I think I had this beer before at a beer festival, but I don't remember anything about it and i'm interested in revisiting it, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice and it has a clean and classic look to it with lots of information to go with it. It poured a nice amber/red color that took on a nice ruby red hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is an ok looking beer, the color was nice but the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness that had a slight brown sugar aroma to it and it was followed by loads of malts that impart some caramel malts and brown bread flavors with a pretty big dark fruit aroma with no one fruit sticking out the most and there were some more grainy aromas towards the end. The aroma was nice and full of malts, but it could of used some hops to bring some balance to the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a nice amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart some caramel malts, brown bread, and grainy flavors with a real light roasted flavor. The dark fruits only barely show up. On the finish was a light amount of bitterness with a grainy and caramel malt like aftertaste. This beer was pretty average tasting, there were just some generic caramel malt flavors and not much else.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average example of a red ale, there was pretty much no complexity too this beer and with no hops showing up the balance wasn't that good either. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and not too filling, but the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention so one pint can is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one after this. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was nice, the body was just were at should be and the carbonation was good too. What I liked the least about this beer was how bland the taste was, all I could pick up was a bland and generic caramel malt flavors with nothing else really shining through. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's just too boring of a beer and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends, it had nothing that sets it apart for the style. All in all i was let down with this beer and it wasn't memorable. I like that Rochester Mills is getting their beer out to Michigan in 16oz cans but I have yet to be impressed with any of them, I'm still waiting to have a beer that I like from them. Better luck next time guys, this was one forgettable Red Ale.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Had on-tap at Twisted Rooster in Chesterfield, Michigan. Only $2 for a pint, so why not?

Man... disappointed. That's all I can say about this beer. It had this... odd smell. Like dusty rocks/malts. It was unusual, and not in a good way. The taste was a bit better -- it had a very deep, almost stout/porter flavor with a kind of rusty aftertaste. Rochester Red isn't an awful beer, but I can't say it's something I'd have again. Just not made with the highest quality of malts..

3.76/5  rDev +8%

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Clear amber body with a touch of red. About one-finger of light tan head that dissipates relatively quickly, leaving a cap and a small bit of lacing.

Not too much going on in the aroma department. A little malt, and a touch of earthy hops.

The flavor is interesting. Still malt forward, but more like a roasted flavor, bordering on a porter flavor. Sweet with hints of chocolate. Still, a touch of light hops in background. But, the bartender warned me it would not taste like a normal "red" so I shouldn't be so surprised.

Easy drinking brew overall. I would definitely have it again.

3.31/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pours a very deep ruby red color, about two fingers of frothy white head. Good head retention and lacing.

S- A bit of sweet, caramel malts along with a hint of tart fruits like cranberries or cherries. Not much else going on.

T- Sort of bland, a bit fruity and sweet. Finishes off slightly tart.

M- Light bodied, a bit of carbonation. Almost feels kind of watery.

D- Good, pretty easy drinker, just wish it had a little more flavor.

I probably wouldn't buy this again, but it's not a terrible beer by any means, just a bit bland.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rochester Mills Rochester Red from Rochester Mills Beer Co.