Blue Diamond Lager - Blue Diamond Brewing Co.

Blue Diamond LagerBlue Diamond Lager

Blue Diamond Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: jjanega08 on 08-17-2010)

Gamblor14, Feb 12, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -48.4%

This the worst beer ever to touch my lips. It was absolutely undrinkable. I threw out 5 of the 6 beers in the 6-pack. It has extremely strong taste and smell, not what you find in a lager. Plus, I couldn't get rid of the after taste. I even tried mixing it with margaritas mix and it was still undrinkable.

Hopstrutter, Aug 06, 2014
2.23/5  rDev -11.5%

My heartiest thanks to the inimitible Chaz for his CANtinued and ongoing support of The CANQuest (TM) for this beauty! I have had it in the reefer cooling off awaiting my being able to take its picture and then its lightning-fast approval by Bro. Jason. Cheers to all involved! This will be my second entry for New Beer Sunday (Week 352).

Not much in terms of verbiage on the CAN, but the cobalt blue color was appealing as all get-out. I may hang onto it just for aesthetic reasons. It was a Ball CAN, if anyone cared or wondered.

The hardcore hippies of the late-'60s and early-'70s used to cop to a motto of "Hey man, I'll try anything once." That motto has now been co-opted by The CANQuest (TM) since I will throw a Crack & Glug on any CANned beer and some I might even have a second time. That said, you might be interested to note that my complexion has cleared up, I ripple with musculature, my breath is that of a spring day in the meadow, when I inevitably have to void my bowels, the room smells of rose petals and the ladies ... OMFG, I have to fight them off with a heavy stick and I am now CANsidering a dog to get them to back off. YMMV, but CANs are the way to go.

All of the above as a preface to yet another AAL. The CANtainer may have been the best thing about this beer. I gave it an aggro pour and still came up with quickly dissipating wisps of bone-white nothing. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity but NO bubbles were in evidence. Hey, I am an aesthete but you gotta throw this dog a bone, dig? Mouthfeel was watery thin and the taste resembled tap water. Ho f***ing hum. It was like the 500th go-'round with the old lady in Missionary Position. Come on, man, change it up every once in a while. AALs bore me and more of the same ol', same ol' ain't gonna garner you any solid numbers, bro. Finish was bland and unobtrusive. I have had bottled water with more pep. I now want to drink a beer.

woodychandler, Nov 13, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

This beer pours golden in color with a small white head. The aroma is slightly sweet grain, a touch of aromatic bitterness, just a whiff of lager "funk" and a very light hint of green apple. The taste follows the aroma and finishes with just a touch of metallic bitterness. The aroma is a bit more assertive than the taste, which is slightly watery.

This is by no means a great beer, but it is inoffensive and drinkable in about every way, which for its style and price range is actually saying something quite positive.

cpolking, Jul 01, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a brilliant (VERY clear) pale straw in color, topped with a one-fingered bone white head. The head subsides after about a minute or two, leaving behind a touch of lace and a very thin cap of foam.

The nose is very, very mild, with a light note of corn/grits and pale malt, and not very much in the way of hops -- seems like a light-stable hop extract, here, but it fades quite a bit after the initial crack and pour. There's also the Cold Spring house yeast strain (or whatever that proprietary funk is that Sid Plagens could never work out of the system!) which I caught a whiff of from across the room, right after I cracked the can open, but this, too, fades after the initial pour.

Vegetal, slightly-sweet/acrid on the first sip, with an diluted corn grits presence --it almost reminds me of burnt candi-sugar-- and is generally not a wonderful flavor profile, but I've enjoyed worse from Cold Spring. There's actually a fair amount of pale malt in this beer, and it adds quite a bit to the taste and drinkability aspects of this beer. Although the hop use here is minimal, there's some bitterness and a very, very light mint characteristic that I'd ascribe to the extract. This isn't a bad thing at all, and in fact if it weren't for the various off-flavors and telltale C.S. house yeast character this beer would probably be flavorless*!

Mouthfeel is smooth and almost medium-bodied, which impressive enough for a beer that is this light in the flavor department. Carbonation strikes me as fairly minimal.

Drinkability is average for the style.

Overall I can think of a couple of brands from the Pabst portfolio that I'd choose over this one, but for the price it's not a terrible beer, and would very likely be a go-to if I still played BeerPong : )

*Note: as this warms the off flavors gain a little more prominence, and as such this is one that you'll want to drink faily cold.

Can code: JABJ321921

Chaz, Feb 26, 2011
2.93/5  rDev +16.3%

A: pours a pale yellow color with less than a quarter inch of head that disappears leaving not even a trace of lace around the top of the beer or edge of the glass.

S: adjunct corn malts, crisp no bitterness

T: adjunct corn malts little bitterness to balance more sweet ness

m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that I will be buying again

happygnome, Jul 06, 2011
3.18/5  rDev +26.2%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains. Taste is mild, some malts and corn, a touch of grains. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent beer but nothing special.

tone77, Jun 23, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +57.9%

A= The pour looks like your average Adjunct lager totally clear and yellow in color with a small half finger white head on it that actually holds a tiny amount of retention and leaves some spotty lacing.

S= Like any adjunct lager you've ever had. It smells like some sweet corn and a little like cooked veggies.

T= Not too bad at all. The taste is very very very light. Not much to it at all. It's a little sweet but not as sweet as Grain Belt. Almost an appley cabbage sort of taste to it.

M= Not nearly as carbonated as most adjunct lagers which I actually enojoy a ton. All Adjunct lagers should be a little less carbonated.

D= Hmmm. 5.99 a 12 pack ain't bad for this at all. While it's not the most sophisticated thing I've ever drank it's not bad either. It's just your typical beer.

jjanega08, Aug 17, 2010
Blue Diamond Lager from Blue Diamond Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.