AXL Pale Ale - MillKing It Productions

AXL Pale AleAXL Pale Ale

MillKing It Productions

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: WeisGuy on 08-23-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by weizenbob:

weizenbob, Oct 24, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours clear deep copper with about one finger of tan head that has decent retention. I poured this slowly and left the last half inch or so in the can, as other cans in the 4-pack had a tremendous amount of sediment. Only a small amount of this escaped in this pour, but a full pour would reduce the appearance score.

S - some subtle citrus hops along with caramel and biscuit malts. A faint sweetness. Relatively subtle.

T - Decent hop presence up front, followed by sweet and biscuity malts. Finishes pretty dry with a lingering bitterness. Pretty decent, if not exceptional in any way.

M - Medium mouthfeel, finishes biter and slightly chalky, but not bad.

O - This is a decent pale ale, but with the other options available, I probably wouldn't get this again.

warnerry, Oct 28, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -38.3%

Disclaimer: it's possible that I received a bad batch (2 of the 6 cans were similarly bad), although other reviewers seemed to like it.

Appearance: cloudy, dark copper, almost orange, minimal head, little head retention, no lacing. Not as cloudy as a hefeweizen, but close. Upon closer inspection I see small particulates floating, probably trub and/or pellet hop remnants. Some small chunks washed out when I rinsed out the empty can.

Aroma: Not much; no discernable hops, some caramel. Some more late hop additions and dry-hopping would help.

Flavor: A bad combination of caramel sweetness, hop bitterness, and funk. As mentioned above, I think there is something wrong with this batch, which could be affecting taste. I prefer less cloying sweetness and more balance in an APA.

Mouthfeel: a little thick, not something quaffable; medium carbonation.

Overall: drain pour (this batch at least); might try on tap or as a single before buying another sixer.

Served in: pint glass.

BriPete, Mar 17, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -14.3%

Danielr26, Feb 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +9%

A: Warm orangey amber, a touch copper. Less than clear but with a few large bubbles rising to join the good size rocky cap of cream colored foam. Head falls fast, but keeps a ring and leaves some decently okay lace. Second pour to empty the 16oz can results in lots of chunks and floaties.

S: Bready & doughy base malt with touches of caramel and sweetness. Perfumey & sweet very faint alcohol and ester note. Hint of herbal & vaguely citrus hops. Fairly shy aroma, but it gets better as it warms with more caramel & sweetness, and more esters coming out.

T: Richly doughy and bready in a light way – minimal crust notes. A bit of sweetness, hints of caramel, and a faint background note of roast. Hops are strongly balanced and fairly bitter. Mostly herbal with hints of citrus flashing in, and fading to a bit grassy at the end and a touch resiny with earthy notes in the finish. Perfumey, spicey, and sweet alcohol is mild but noticeable. Some of it is probably esters.

M: A little bit past medium body with CO2 just under-balanced. Gives it a rich, bigger feel – more of a sipper than a quaffer. Sweeter with lots of dextrins and some sticky sugars. Hops provide oils and tannins, and manage to push it drying.

D: Big, weighty, & just barely leaning dark pale. Well within range. Robustly bready & sweet malts with fairly firmly balancing bitter hops. Surprisingly noticeable alcohol for under 6% beer. A tasty, big & slow drinking, enjoyable pale ale.

SickGnar, Dec 30, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

16 oz can. Cloudy copper color, with a rocky white head. Head fades to a small layer after a few minutes, but does leave some nice spots of lace.

Citrus hop notes, with a strong caramel malt backdrop. Stonefruit, along with some slightly spicy and earthy notes.

Solid malt backbone, caramel but not overly sweet. Hop bitterness shows a quick flash of sweet citrus, but then fades to earthy flavors at the finish. Pretty well balanced, although the bitterness seems to linger.

Medium body, nice amount of carbonation. Nothing too exciting, but a pretty nice canned pale.

Bierguy5, Jul 27, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +27.7%

A: dark orange/almost brown in the glass; medium head that diminished fairly quickly; nice, consistent lacing all around the glass.

S: a nice faint but fruity, sweet nose.

T: a very balanced APA. Nothing overpowering, and interestingly, this one has a slightly spicy start and a slightly sweet finish. Most other APAs I've tried these tastes have showed up in the reverse order.

M/D: On the higher end of the carbonation scale compared to others of the style. Results in a lighter body, good mouthfeel, and makes it very drinkable.

Another6Pack, Feb 06, 2011

LamboBrewpants, Mar 09, 2014
3.23/5  rDev +0.6%

16oz can from Main Party Store in AA

a - pours a slightly hazy deep burnt orange color, one-inch frothy white head with good retention and lacing

s - pretty weak aroma, really need to get your nose down in it to smell anything, light caramel malt mixed hints of citrusy and grassy hops, no alcohol detectable

t - orange citrus sweetness up front with a caramel and light biscuit malt flavor on the midpalate, finish is a mix of lightly bitter grassy hops and lighter sweet caramel malt, not much alcohol to speak of, the can does not have an abv, but I suspect it's <5%, overall, the taste is pretty clean and fairly refreshing, but not all that interesting

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, a bit of a creamy feel on the palate, well-balanced finish

d - very easy-drinking and clean tasting, but the complexity is just not there to keep the beer very interesting, one can is enough for me, I could see this as a decent warm weather beer if you're hanging around outside grilling, but there are better options for that as well

Always good to see a new brewery making a decent beer and even canning it. I don't know anything about this place other than it's brewed in Royal Oak, MI, as the can says in about 15 places. Worth a try if you see it in your local store.

WeisGuy, Aug 23, 2010

HardyA, Jul 06, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

I picked up a can of MillKing It Productions AXL Pale Ale a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. This brewery just showed up in my part of Michigan, I think I had this beer before but it was a long time when I first got into craft beer, so I'm interested to see what it's like, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling, but I think it's fairly fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the way this can looks, it just has a nice clean and well done look to it. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on a darker orange tint when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of chunky white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a proper looking Pale Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of malts that had a higher amount of sweetness to them and imparted a grainy, brown bread, and caramel like aroma. Next comes the hops first they smell pretty spicy, but after that comes a little citrus hop aroma that makes the aroma a little more interesting. I liked the aroma, but it was a little on the sweet side.

T- The taste is seems to be similar to the aroma. It starts off with the malts which are far less sweet then the aroma led me to believe, they impart some grainy, brown bread and a really slight caramel flavor. After that comes the hops which are full of spicy hop flavors with hardly any citrus to be found. Towards the finish it starts to taste a little watered down with a pretty low amount of bitterness with a spicy and grainy aftertaste. The taste seemed to be slightly above average for an American Pale Ale.

M- Pretty damn smooth, crisp, refreshing, a little watery, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, but I could have done without the watery feel.

Overall I thought this beer was ok and it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had some nice American Pale Ale aspects to it, but it also had some unwanted aspects. This beer had great drinkability and went down very smooth, but the flavor didn't do the greatest job at holding my attention, two pint cans would be enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty good for a Pale Ale and I liked that it stayed pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the watery feel and taste that this beer had, it would be much better without it. I might buy this again when looking for a decent Pale Ale that comes in a can, but I can't see myself going out of the way to buy a single and I don't think I would want a four pack. All in all this was an ok first impression for this brewery and I wouldn't mind checking out more of their beers, but this beer is a ways away from being a great American Pale Ale, still decent though.

StoutHunter, Jul 24, 2012

melissab318, Dec 27, 2011

Zaphog, Apr 03, 2013

marcb105, Jul 27, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured from the can a deep copper color with a thin, wet beige head.

Aroma of caramel and grainy malts and light grassy hops.

The taste followed the aroma with caramel maltiness and lightly bitter grassy hops.

Medium bodied and slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

A little less hoppy than I would have expected but not bad.

Monkeyknife, Dec 28, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +41.1%

I am anxious to try this beer! It was sent in support of The CANQuest (TM) a while back and I wanted to review all of my Michigan CANs at the same time, but one of them needed a pic. Thankfully, all is now right with the world and I am back on track. Let The CANQuest CANtinue unabated!

From the CAN: "'It's all about the beer'". Amen to that! Preach it, brother! I say, preach it!

Once again, the Crack of a micro-CAN has revealed one filled near to the rim with beer. I know that my madness has its detractors, but when was the last time you got extra beer in a bottle? I am CANsistently finding CANs that are (I believe to be) overfilled and that is a good thing in my book. A Baker's Dozen refers to the practice of putting an extra cookie in the box or bag for a loyal customer who would routinely buy by the dozen. What term CAN I coin for this practice? The Glug resulted in two tawny fingers of explosive head with medium retention. I am going to second WeisGuy with regard to its slightly hazy burnt orange color. That will now be added to my repertoire. Thank you, sir! As the head receded, lovely sticky lacing began to appear. Nose had a resinous, piney, minty odor. Very nice. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a hoppy bite in the mouth, but like spearmint coupled with wintergreen. Oh man, does that make me feel good after some of the AALs and AMLs that I have had recently. Finish just left me breathless initially, but then I got a nice caramel sweetness on the extreme finish. Another CANdidate for the cooler!

woodychandler, Feb 07, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -65.7%

a: Straw colored. Very clear. Excessive head from too much carbonation (this one was a gusher)

s: Light, caramel malt flavor. Spicy hop aroma. Don't pick up much of the citrus of American hops

t: Can taste mild malt sweetness. Quite bitter without much hop flavor. Has some sour notes to it (I suspect lactic acid). Somewhat astringent too

m: Excessive carbonation. Not very pleasant. Astringent and not smooth

o: This beer was a gusher and was likely infected (gusher and sour notes). Not a very freshing beer. I would recommend that they check their sanitation procedures.

tophers, Jan 17, 2012

mtrog313, Feb 28, 2012

amalburg, Jul 15, 2014
3.23/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks to my pal bierguy5 for this treat. Pours a cloudy copper with a large erupting white head, thick and sticky, with stickier lace that just hangs around with vengeance. Very nice looking pale ale.

Aroma carries out of my tulip and attacks the ole factor. Resiny hop with stone fruit and light citrus additions. Spicy notes, caramel, and toffee. So far I like.

A somewhat misleading nose. Hops clearly take a back seat to rich caramel malt, flint, and a hint of aluminum. The hops I get in the mouth are geared more towards earthy, spicy varieties with only a hint of peach. Mouthfeel is also a bit blah, slightly astringent and chalky on the finish. Great to look at and smell but falls off from there.

mcallister, Aug 04, 2011

CBodamer, Jan 25, 2014

thedifferencemaker, Dec 27, 2013

HarmonMW, May 14, 2013
3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

Heavy on the malts on this one. Sweet tones abound. A tang stays constant and obvious. This is a pretty decent drinker. The American in me immediately would like more hop tones, but I can roll with this. It's solid in its execution. Not sure I would really go back to it, but always nice to try a small and new brewery. A cask version of this would be interesting to see.

RblWthACoz, Aug 25, 2012