Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Reviews: 570 | Hads: 1,319
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 pint 0.9 oz bottle served in a Kindl Weisse glass. I'm very happy to find a new (to me) Berliner Weisse. It pours a hazy straw color with a finger of head that falls to a patchy coat over the beer. Haze is prevalent and carbonation is rapidly escaping from solution. Just as expected. The nose is definitely in the realm of hefeweizen, with a banana/clove ester present along with a lemony citric tinge and a lactic acid sharpness. I really like the character brought to the style with the hefe characters. The flavor hits immediately with a lemony tartness and lactic bite that fades to a creamy banana and clove character, rounding out with a strong wheaty creamyness. Enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to moderate with a moderate carbonation. The acidic character leaves some stringy spit behind, making me want some water to go along with it. Overall, this one is very nice. This is a beer to sit and drink on a nice warm day...no syrup needed. The hefe base to it really adds a dimension to this one that I don't recall from other experiences with the style. I will be drinking this one again, and soon.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought out a case of this at my local liquor store, god I love this stuff...
Pours with a vigorus head, fluffy and bright white, the aroma of tart stone fruit, yeast, fresh bread are very present and welcomed. The beer is very effervescent which knocks up the sediment in the bottle, no matter, just got to pour it well and slow. The taste is great, that's why the beer is great. I don't think this as being a traditional beliner weisse, but I don't really care, it's freaking good. To me it is more of a tart, blonde ale, there is a bit more meat on this beer than I normally expect from BWs, and it is welcomed, again. Mouthfeel is very prickly, but not prickly enough from gulping this beer down, it is just absolutley refreshing.

Overall, final summation: Buy and drink the Sh1t out of this beer when you can find it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pour a lemony, yellow color that was topped off with a white fluffy head that dissipated rather slowly. Very cloudy and full of yeast. Nice citrusy aroma. Citrusly, clean, crisp taste. I could drink a lot of these on a hot summer day as drinkability is extremely high.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%

Very cloudy golden color. Has a pretty thick foamy head, but it fades rapidly.

Smells like baked pears with honey glaze. I also get some red wine-like tannins, sour white grapes and lemon zest.

WOW! This bad boy is sour...and delicious. Starts sour and citrusy and finished acidic and dry. I think I can even taste a bit of floral hops and some of the wheat crispness.

For sour beer lovers, this is a must try. If I can find this again, it will most definitely make its way into my shopping cart!

4.58/5  rDev +12%

appearance; depending on how one likes to pour, either a crystal clear, bright yellow or a cloudy, milky, yellow, packed with lots of thick chunks of sediment. A very fizzy white, that quickly dissipates to nothing. No lacing, very true to the style.

smell; tart, sour, acidic, wrapped in a blanket of milk whey. Lemons for sure, yet not from the hops.

taste; Upfront, lots of lemons and apple cider vinegar flavors. As the tart and sour flavors try to take control, lactic dairy flavors combat them to neutralize the acidity. The aftertaste is that of spicy wheat and lactic acid, mellowed out in bready yeastyness.

mouthfeel; very fizzy and refreshingly crisp. Puckers the mouth a bit after a slimy and sticky finish.

overall; Last time I visited Berlin, I liked the selections from Berliner Kindl and Schultheiss, but this one stands out to me above the others. A perfect beer for a sunny spring day in the states or a sunny summer day in Germany. Highly reccomended for anyone, who can appreciate a sour beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Body is a soft, light orange-yellow that is so full of delicious beasties that no light escapes through its opaqueness. The carbonation is so intense, though the head is still pretty manageable, that you can hear the bubbles popping like microscopic bubble wrap. I have never seen a beer act this way before.

Apples, sour cream, grapefruit zest make the aroma for me.

Traditional lactic sourness with a somewhat light toast flavor (very light, but definitely in the finish). Tastes like a really dry cider mixed with cream cheese.

Bright, crisp, dry and refreshing.

It's hard not to give this one good marks since A) it sticks pretty closely to the traditional recipe and brewing process and B) for most of us this is probably our first Berliner Weiss. These B.W.s aren't exactly clogging the shelves, but I much prefer this one to many sour beers I have been trying lately and find it quite enjoyable.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

It's taken a long time to review, but I've really been studying this style deeply to understand it as my first try so I could properly review it.

This is an extremely pale yellow, just a bit deeper than a good Kolsch but lighter than most macros in color. I expect this for the style. It's also extremely cloudy, as expected. The head doesn't last particularly long but what light, fluffy crown does sit on top doesn't dissipate all that quickly, either. A light touch of thick, white lacing is left in strands.
The aroma is tart and lightly citric, much like a good white white, with a strong note of earthy mustiness to it. There's also a dry malts adding a touch of breads and some wheat underlying. This is nearly perfect or the style and surprisingly potent.
The aroma follows suit, and the strong tart, sour flavors lead the way as they ought to. This beer is reminiscent of the green apple flavors of white wine with wheat and plenty of crackery malts underneath. This one is earthy without getting the grassy / herbal quality of a pils, and hops presence is appropriately light.
With a surprisingly rich mouthfeel proving that light-bodied and weak are not synonymous, this one goes down very nicely, particularly given the crispness that's in every sip.
This is spectacularly drinkable, and anyone looking for light, tart and gently sour and for a pinnacle of this style should reach for this one. Of course, I haven't tried any other Berliner Weissbiers, but I imagine this beer will be extremely difficult to match.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a great gold color with some cloudy yeast floating around. It is clearer at the bottom than on top.

Smells great. A little soury. Kind of sweet.

This is amazing. Elegant and Refreshing. I wish I could have this by the keg for the summer time.

Very nice mouthfeel. Enough said.

The tartness might be a little much for a long session but this is a terrific beer and I'd like another.

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%

Very pale yellow and fizzy - looks very much like a cheapo adjunct. Frothy white head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing, but leaves a small head throughout.

Sour lemon and apples, some earthiness, yeasty banana. Very refreshing smelling.

Very interesting flavors here. Similar to the nose, I'm picking up the sour lemony apple flavors with a bit of an earthy, barnyard hop taste. Also getting a backbone of a weizen taste of banana and clove yeastiness. Super tasty and refreshing, very unique.

Crisp, highly carbonated but not too frothy (like an adjunct), thin.

This is my first of the style, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but got it because I've been wanting to try one and because of the good reviews. Definitely not disappointed, and would love to seek more of these out (and I've seen some random ones popping up at domestic breweries). I just really appreciate all the flavors that come through in this, despite the sour twang, which sometimes tends to overpower for me.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale yellow in color, slightly hazy with fluffy white head that subsides to a thin cover. There is a nice, constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. As I started pouring the room filled with the wonderful aroma. Reminds me of sour candy. Not too sour. Just some playful tartness. Lemon with a touch of sweetness. I've enjoyed aroma and was afraid that the taste will let me down. Not so. Lightly tart, but followed by some sweetness. Not overpowering at all. In fact, it's quite light. Very drinkable - the first sip was quickly followed by the second and then a few more before I realized that I need to continue with this review. Pleasant mouthfeel. I'm enjoying it in the middle of January, but it would probably taste even better on a warm summer evening.

Berliner Weissbier is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately it is all too rare. So when I was picking up a few bottles for a friend, I couldn't resist grabbing this bottle as soon as I noticed it for myself. I was a little put off by 5% ABV (seemed a bit high), but now I'm glad I picked up a bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Pours with a decent sized head of loose, white foam that settles rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is a slightly hazy, deep gold color.

S - Light malt and wheat with a yeasty intensity and some spicy lactic acid.

T - Tangy wheat and some sweet, bready malt up front with a surprisingly light note of lactic acid. The malt intensifies in the middle with notes of honey and some fruity pear character that may or may not be yeast derived. The beer finishes with more malt and some creamy wheat flavor as well as moderate tartness and some lemon zest.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - This is a shockingly drinkable beer. I expected intense sourness that would overshadow all other flavors, but the acidity is actually quite restrained and while the flavor profile is simple, it is very well managed. The intense carbonation helps to bring out the subtle flavor of the wheat and some notes of lemon and pear. The acidity is restrained and just strong enough to set off the other flavors and it makes for a perfectly refreshing, tart finish. I am really blow away by this beer, it is easily the best Berliner Weisse that I have ever tasted and it is definitely worth seeking out.

4.54/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my lost abbey stem glass.
A: Pours a massive head that dissipates quickly, (20 seconds to bubble down). Straw yellow color that’s murky throughout.
S: Barnhouse funk, lemons and sourness, with some grape and orange notes. Smells amazing.
T: Sour and carbonated upfront with some funk and a slight lemon taste on the end with the traditional European taste that (to me) separates American beer from European styles. Kinda musty.
M: Carbonation and lemon that pull away from the funk.
O: Really good example of the style. It’s no limbic but it’s really tasty and certainly the best example of the style I’ve had (and one of the most affordable and price appropriate). A

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

500ml brown bottle from Ron's Market in Farmington. Pours a hazy light straw color with a good inch of short-lived off-white head. Smells fruity/citrussy, spicy, and slightly sour. Tastes fruity - citrus, apple, equally sweet and sour with a fairly dry clean finish. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Tasty, unique, complex, and super-drinkable. A new favorite!

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

this is a hard beer to review because it is art in a different kind of way than most of the beers we try and review on here. the art here is replicating a process and evoking a sense of place and time for the sake of art, enjoyment and education. if we don't know where styles come from, we don't know where to go with them. dr. fritz gives us the foundation of a style that was almost lost to the tee and it is awesome. pale golden with a white head that hangs out for a while, but doesn't leave much lace. nose is awesome. musty, mossy-wet-rock-in-a-cellar, wet animal, and a touch of citric acidity. the semi-spicy (yeasty) taste is way less tart than one might imagine from the nose, and everything seems just a touch subdued, but like i said, fritz isn't really trying to pull out the stops here, he's trying to school us and make us happy at the same time. ahhhh. this is why they called it the champagne of the north. the cellary, cobweb, musty wet-rockiness is very similar to real champagne. yum. i think i've gone on enough here. awesome beer. know your beery roots. cheers!

4.51/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a goblet. Clear, straw colored with a finger of head. Lots of bubbles. Head broke down quickly to almost nothing.
Impressive smell of wet hay, apple, pear and cherry.
Taste like pear and apple too. Sour lemon and a dry bitterness. Lovely.
Almost champagne like in texture. Lots of carbonation, lighter body. Drying effect.
Quite enjoyable. I would drink it on the regular.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A: poured into a chalice to a clear and bright yellow with a finger and a half of dense head that retains well and leaves minimal lacing
S: smells of wheat, bready yeast and lemony tartness
T: taste is tart lemons, a little fruity, creamy wheat and the swallow is more lemony and lactic tartness with a little more wheat
M: fairly light but not watery with plentiful carb that isn't prickly and a slightly drying finish
O:Overall this is a well crafted beer with great flavors and seems to hit all the marks for the style. I prefer hottenroth a little more but this one is much easier to find on the shelves.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a massive rising white head that quickly fizzles out to nothing; just as it should.

Smell- Green apple, white grape, and lots of lemon. A very distinct wheatyness and mild funk.

Taste- Tart green apple again, with slightly sour lemon. I have had much more sour, but this has very nice balance. The wheat stands out a bit more towards the finish. Slightly acidic and funky from the lactic acid. Zesty and fruity with a nice dry clean finish. Licking your lips gives you another nice rush of lemon.

Mouthfeel- Light body with spritzy carbonation, dry on the finish. Very refreshing, overly drinkable.

Overall- Outstanding beer, going to have to stock up on this big time. I wish more breweries would give a stab at this style, though this is definitely the best I have had.

Poured from bottle into Westy Chalice

App- Golden, cloudy with no head.

Sm- Very astringent. Green apples and pineapple.

Ta- Lots of delicious lactic balanced by a good full wheatiness. Fruits from the yeast play with the acid in there: pineapple, apricot and grapefruit.

MF- Very light carbonation which allows everything else to show off. Good wheaty mouth feel.

Dr- Awesome. Could drink all day.

Stellar brew. Total treat. Wish it was easier to get. I can't imagine a better beer to use as an introduction to sours. I really liked Dogfish Festina Peche and this puts it to shame.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellowish color and a cloudy consistency. Some sediment. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: A sweet smell of fruit, wheat and a little hops.

T: This beer tasted of bananas, wheat, some lemon and mild hops. The fruity part was most evident when going down, but overall a tasty experience.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a smooth, dry finish. Medium-bodied. Refreshing mouthfeel. Would be a good summer beer.

D: This is the first Berliner Weissbier I've had and hopefully I'll be able to find more of these.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a clouded straw gold with a very sizeable brighter white head. Nose is yeasty and wheat. Touch of citrus. Just the nose you want on a weisse. Flavor is extremely tart and tangy, so much so that it really grabs the back of your mouth. Very strong citrus tones. Long lasting lighter aftertaste combines with a lot of small bubbles on the tongue and a good liquid feel. Heavily drinkable, though that first taste really hit the back of my mouth and sent me for a spin. After that though it was very smooth sailing. Well worth trying. Even though the price tag was a wee bit high.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Upon asking clerk for a style that is somewhat out of the ordinary with a distinct flavor this beer was recommended. In short - great call.

Smell: Muted, fresh, appropriate for style.
Taste: Like a tart, sour (tastefully) Jolly Rancher German wheat beer.
Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, quenching.
Drinkability: Off the charts - would drink plenty (if I could afford it!!!)

Overall: Fantastic, refreshing beer! It scratches that summertime itch...

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer since I haven't really had a Berliner weissbier before but this beer is awesome! Has a light acidity that makes it dry and refreshing. Not sweet nor bitter just very pleasant and palatable. I could definitely see this paired with chicken or maybe even fish entrees since the lightness of the beer would enhance without competing with the flavors. This is also a beer I would be comfortable sharing with non-beer geeks/craft beer novices as well as beer snobs. I could see how some more experienced beer geeks might find this beer a bit too subtle, but I find this beer to be extremely well crafted

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Fresh this is a great beer. Locally I stumbled across a stash that was 6-10 years old (nobody knew for sure) and they were really amazing brews. Tart, light, sparkling, and super drinkable.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%

a - pours a bright amber color, one-inch white head, not retention or lacing, hazy with lots of sediment

s - great aroma, lots of funkiness a sour smell, some lemon citrus as well as wheat and a bit of hay

t - nice crisp funky tartness up front, mild wheat sweetness underlying a lemony sourness on the mid-palate, more crisp tartness and funk on the finish mixed with a little graininess, no alcohol detectable

m - light-to-medium bodied, higher carbonation, effervescent, dry finish

d - very drinkable, par for the style, the crispness is very refreshing, I could see this as a perfect warm weather beer

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%

500mL bottle served into a nucleated imperial pint glass

Pours a very light, pale straw yellow color. Tons and tons of carbonation jets up from the nucleation. Lots of foamy white bubbles form at first but soon disappear. This beer basically looks just like an adjunct lager. Only with hella yeast sediment. Floaties everywhere! Weird, alien life form floaties! I think these floaties might be the Arsenic microbes that NASA found. So yeah, it doesn't look pretty. And I don't have any woodruff syrup to gussy things up. For the style? I have to imagine that this is spot-on. Some beers just can't be pretty.

1809 smells, in part, like a typical wheat beer. You've got some zippy tang, some banana ester. But what dominates is the tartness. This is not a funky beer, no. This is a tart beer. Lemon juice everywhere. There's other stuff too: some carbonate smells, something almost milky. But that tart lemon is what stays with you.

The beer smells way more tart than it actually tastes. There is just enough sharp lemon juice sourness to encourage further drinking. You've got wheat bread flavors everywhere, some lactose like flavors, a bit of water (yeah, it gets watery around the middle of the drink - to the point where I thought I had lemon water in my mouth). This is very good. Light, tart, refreshing.

The mouthfeel has a flaw - that watery business that I just mentioned. Other than that, the carbonation is wonderfully lively and the body as thin as could be. The drinkability? Off the charts. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. Lightly tart, the beer just commands continued quaffing. Amazing.

How is this style of beer not more popular? It's great great great. This particular beer needs to be in six-packs as soon as years ago. It's awesome.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem