Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Reviews: 570 | Hads: 1,319
4.58/5  rDev +12%

Body is a soft, light orange-yellow that is so full of delicious beasties that no light escapes through its opaqueness. The carbonation is so intense, though the head is still pretty manageable, that you can hear the bubbles popping like microscopic bubble wrap. I have never seen a beer act this way before.

Apples, sour cream, grapefruit zest make the aroma for me.

Traditional lactic sourness with a somewhat light toast flavor (very light, but definitely in the finish). Tastes like a really dry cider mixed with cream cheese.

Bright, crisp, dry and refreshing.

It's hard not to give this one good marks since A) it sticks pretty closely to the traditional recipe and brewing process and B) for most of us this is probably our first Berliner Weiss. These B.W.s aren't exactly clogging the shelves, but I much prefer this one to many sour beers I have been trying lately and find it quite enjoyable.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

It's taken a long time to review, but I've really been studying this style deeply to understand it as my first try so I could properly review it.

This is an extremely pale yellow, just a bit deeper than a good Kolsch but lighter than most macros in color. I expect this for the style. It's also extremely cloudy, as expected. The head doesn't last particularly long but what light, fluffy crown does sit on top doesn't dissipate all that quickly, either. A light touch of thick, white lacing is left in strands.
The aroma is tart and lightly citric, much like a good white white, with a strong note of earthy mustiness to it. There's also a dry malts adding a touch of breads and some wheat underlying. This is nearly perfect or the style and surprisingly potent.
The aroma follows suit, and the strong tart, sour flavors lead the way as they ought to. This beer is reminiscent of the green apple flavors of white wine with wheat and plenty of crackery malts underneath. This one is earthy without getting the grassy / herbal quality of a pils, and hops presence is appropriately light.
With a surprisingly rich mouthfeel proving that light-bodied and weak are not synonymous, this one goes down very nicely, particularly given the crispness that's in every sip.
This is spectacularly drinkable, and anyone looking for light, tart and gently sour and for a pinnacle of this style should reach for this one. Of course, I haven't tried any other Berliner Weissbiers, but I imagine this beer will be extremely difficult to match.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a great gold color with some cloudy yeast floating around. It is clearer at the bottom than on top.

Smells great. A little soury. Kind of sweet.

This is amazing. Elegant and Refreshing. I wish I could have this by the keg for the summer time.

Very nice mouthfeel. Enough said.

The tartness might be a little much for a long session but this is a terrific beer and I'd like another.

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%

Very pale yellow and fizzy - looks very much like a cheapo adjunct. Frothy white head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing, but leaves a small head throughout.

Sour lemon and apples, some earthiness, yeasty banana. Very refreshing smelling.

Very interesting flavors here. Similar to the nose, I'm picking up the sour lemony apple flavors with a bit of an earthy, barnyard hop taste. Also getting a backbone of a weizen taste of banana and clove yeastiness. Super tasty and refreshing, very unique.

Crisp, highly carbonated but not too frothy (like an adjunct), thin.

This is my first of the style, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but got it because I've been wanting to try one and because of the good reviews. Definitely not disappointed, and would love to seek more of these out (and I've seen some random ones popping up at domestic breweries). I just really appreciate all the flavors that come through in this, despite the sour twang, which sometimes tends to overpower for me.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale yellow in color, slightly hazy with fluffy white head that subsides to a thin cover. There is a nice, constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. As I started pouring the room filled with the wonderful aroma. Reminds me of sour candy. Not too sour. Just some playful tartness. Lemon with a touch of sweetness. I've enjoyed aroma and was afraid that the taste will let me down. Not so. Lightly tart, but followed by some sweetness. Not overpowering at all. In fact, it's quite light. Very drinkable - the first sip was quickly followed by the second and then a few more before I realized that I need to continue with this review. Pleasant mouthfeel. I'm enjoying it in the middle of January, but it would probably taste even better on a warm summer evening.

Berliner Weissbier is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately it is all too rare. So when I was picking up a few bottles for a friend, I couldn't resist grabbing this bottle as soon as I noticed it for myself. I was a little put off by 5% ABV (seemed a bit high), but now I'm glad I picked up a bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Pours with a decent sized head of loose, white foam that settles rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is a slightly hazy, deep gold color.

S - Light malt and wheat with a yeasty intensity and some spicy lactic acid.

T - Tangy wheat and some sweet, bready malt up front with a surprisingly light note of lactic acid. The malt intensifies in the middle with notes of honey and some fruity pear character that may or may not be yeast derived. The beer finishes with more malt and some creamy wheat flavor as well as moderate tartness and some lemon zest.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - This is a shockingly drinkable beer. I expected intense sourness that would overshadow all other flavors, but the acidity is actually quite restrained and while the flavor profile is simple, it is very well managed. The intense carbonation helps to bring out the subtle flavor of the wheat and some notes of lemon and pear. The acidity is restrained and just strong enough to set off the other flavors and it makes for a perfectly refreshing, tart finish. I am really blow away by this beer, it is easily the best Berliner Weisse that I have ever tasted and it is definitely worth seeking out.

4.54/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my lost abbey stem glass.
A: Pours a massive head that dissipates quickly, (20 seconds to bubble down). Straw yellow color that’s murky throughout.
S: Barnhouse funk, lemons and sourness, with some grape and orange notes. Smells amazing.
T: Sour and carbonated upfront with some funk and a slight lemon taste on the end with the traditional European taste that (to me) separates American beer from European styles. Kinda musty.
M: Carbonation and lemon that pull away from the funk.
O: Really good example of the style. It’s no limbic but it’s really tasty and certainly the best example of the style I’ve had (and one of the most affordable and price appropriate). A

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

500ml brown bottle from Ron's Market in Farmington. Pours a hazy light straw color with a good inch of short-lived off-white head. Smells fruity/citrussy, spicy, and slightly sour. Tastes fruity - citrus, apple, equally sweet and sour with a fairly dry clean finish. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Tasty, unique, complex, and super-drinkable. A new favorite!

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

this is a hard beer to review because it is art in a different kind of way than most of the beers we try and review on here. the art here is replicating a process and evoking a sense of place and time for the sake of art, enjoyment and education. if we don't know where styles come from, we don't know where to go with them. dr. fritz gives us the foundation of a style that was almost lost to the tee and it is awesome. pale golden with a white head that hangs out for a while, but doesn't leave much lace. nose is awesome. musty, mossy-wet-rock-in-a-cellar, wet animal, and a touch of citric acidity. the semi-spicy (yeasty) taste is way less tart than one might imagine from the nose, and everything seems just a touch subdued, but like i said, fritz isn't really trying to pull out the stops here, he's trying to school us and make us happy at the same time. ahhhh. this is why they called it the champagne of the north. the cellary, cobweb, musty wet-rockiness is very similar to real champagne. yum. i think i've gone on enough here. awesome beer. know your beery roots. cheers!

4.51/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a goblet. Clear, straw colored with a finger of head. Lots of bubbles. Head broke down quickly to almost nothing.
Impressive smell of wet hay, apple, pear and cherry.
Taste like pear and apple too. Sour lemon and a dry bitterness. Lovely.
Almost champagne like in texture. Lots of carbonation, lighter body. Drying effect.
Quite enjoyable. I would drink it on the regular.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A: poured into a chalice to a clear and bright yellow with a finger and a half of dense head that retains well and leaves minimal lacing
S: smells of wheat, bready yeast and lemony tartness
T: taste is tart lemons, a little fruity, creamy wheat and the swallow is more lemony and lactic tartness with a little more wheat
M: fairly light but not watery with plentiful carb that isn't prickly and a slightly drying finish
O:Overall this is a well crafted beer with great flavors and seems to hit all the marks for the style. I prefer hottenroth a little more but this one is much easier to find on the shelves.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a massive rising white head that quickly fizzles out to nothing; just as it should.

Smell- Green apple, white grape, and lots of lemon. A very distinct wheatyness and mild funk.

Taste- Tart green apple again, with slightly sour lemon. I have had much more sour, but this has very nice balance. The wheat stands out a bit more towards the finish. Slightly acidic and funky from the lactic acid. Zesty and fruity with a nice dry clean finish. Licking your lips gives you another nice rush of lemon.

Mouthfeel- Light body with spritzy carbonation, dry on the finish. Very refreshing, overly drinkable.

Overall- Outstanding beer, going to have to stock up on this big time. I wish more breweries would give a stab at this style, though this is definitely the best I have had.

Poured from bottle into Westy Chalice

App- Golden, cloudy with no head.

Sm- Very astringent. Green apples and pineapple.

Ta- Lots of delicious lactic balanced by a good full wheatiness. Fruits from the yeast play with the acid in there: pineapple, apricot and grapefruit.

MF- Very light carbonation which allows everything else to show off. Good wheaty mouth feel.

Dr- Awesome. Could drink all day.

Stellar brew. Total treat. Wish it was easier to get. I can't imagine a better beer to use as an introduction to sours. I really liked Dogfish Festina Peche and this puts it to shame.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellowish color and a cloudy consistency. Some sediment. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: A sweet smell of fruit, wheat and a little hops.

T: This beer tasted of bananas, wheat, some lemon and mild hops. The fruity part was most evident when going down, but overall a tasty experience.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a smooth, dry finish. Medium-bodied. Refreshing mouthfeel. Would be a good summer beer.

D: This is the first Berliner Weissbier I've had and hopefully I'll be able to find more of these.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a clouded straw gold with a very sizeable brighter white head. Nose is yeasty and wheat. Touch of citrus. Just the nose you want on a weisse. Flavor is extremely tart and tangy, so much so that it really grabs the back of your mouth. Very strong citrus tones. Long lasting lighter aftertaste combines with a lot of small bubbles on the tongue and a good liquid feel. Heavily drinkable, though that first taste really hit the back of my mouth and sent me for a spin. After that though it was very smooth sailing. Well worth trying. Even though the price tag was a wee bit high.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Upon asking clerk for a style that is somewhat out of the ordinary with a distinct flavor this beer was recommended. In short - great call.

Smell: Muted, fresh, appropriate for style.
Taste: Like a tart, sour (tastefully) Jolly Rancher German wheat beer.
Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, quenching.
Drinkability: Off the charts - would drink plenty (if I could afford it!!!)

Overall: Fantastic, refreshing beer! It scratches that summertime itch...

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer since I haven't really had a Berliner weissbier before but this beer is awesome! Has a light acidity that makes it dry and refreshing. Not sweet nor bitter just very pleasant and palatable. I could definitely see this paired with chicken or maybe even fish entrees since the lightness of the beer would enhance without competing with the flavors. This is also a beer I would be comfortable sharing with non-beer geeks/craft beer novices as well as beer snobs. I could see how some more experienced beer geeks might find this beer a bit too subtle, but I find this beer to be extremely well crafted

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Fresh this is a great beer. Locally I stumbled across a stash that was 6-10 years old (nobody knew for sure) and they were really amazing brews. Tart, light, sparkling, and super drinkable.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%

a - pours a bright amber color, one-inch white head, not retention or lacing, hazy with lots of sediment

s - great aroma, lots of funkiness a sour smell, some lemon citrus as well as wheat and a bit of hay

t - nice crisp funky tartness up front, mild wheat sweetness underlying a lemony sourness on the mid-palate, more crisp tartness and funk on the finish mixed with a little graininess, no alcohol detectable

m - light-to-medium bodied, higher carbonation, effervescent, dry finish

d - very drinkable, par for the style, the crispness is very refreshing, I could see this as a perfect warm weather beer

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%

500mL bottle served into a nucleated imperial pint glass

Pours a very light, pale straw yellow color. Tons and tons of carbonation jets up from the nucleation. Lots of foamy white bubbles form at first but soon disappear. This beer basically looks just like an adjunct lager. Only with hella yeast sediment. Floaties everywhere! Weird, alien life form floaties! I think these floaties might be the Arsenic microbes that NASA found. So yeah, it doesn't look pretty. And I don't have any woodruff syrup to gussy things up. For the style? I have to imagine that this is spot-on. Some beers just can't be pretty.

1809 smells, in part, like a typical wheat beer. You've got some zippy tang, some banana ester. But what dominates is the tartness. This is not a funky beer, no. This is a tart beer. Lemon juice everywhere. There's other stuff too: some carbonate smells, something almost milky. But that tart lemon is what stays with you.

The beer smells way more tart than it actually tastes. There is just enough sharp lemon juice sourness to encourage further drinking. You've got wheat bread flavors everywhere, some lactose like flavors, a bit of water (yeah, it gets watery around the middle of the drink - to the point where I thought I had lemon water in my mouth). This is very good. Light, tart, refreshing.

The mouthfeel has a flaw - that watery business that I just mentioned. Other than that, the carbonation is wonderfully lively and the body as thin as could be. The drinkability? Off the charts. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. Lightly tart, the beer just commands continued quaffing. Amazing.

How is this style of beer not more popular? It's great great great. This particular beer needs to be in six-packs as soon as years ago. It's awesome.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an absolute perfect example of a berliner weisse. I can't imagine drinking it with syrup, though. It pours with little head, and it's a pale yellow with cloudy yeast. The aroma is slight lemon and light flowers with yeast. Mouthfeel is spritzy, the tartness of the taste changing the mouthfeel. Refreshing, light, and extremely quaffable. I'm glad the world's oldest brewery hasn't sold out.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a bottle at a local bottle shop and poured it into 2 tulip glasses. Gave a quick swirl to pull the yeast off the bottom of the bottle and into the beer.

Hazy, light straw in color, the bottle gushed like crazy, but I guess that shoulda been expected when I didn't keep it in the fridge for 24 hours before opening. At least I managed to save most of what gushed...ample carbonation creates a huge head, but no retention. Surprisingly, though, for a beer with almost no residual sugar, if any, a swirl produces cabernet-like legs.

The aroma is full of tart wheat and a light funkiness. The tartness is a clean and citrusy lactic sourness that brings on grapefruit and lemon zest. There are also some clove esters from the sacc. strain. The flavor follows suit beautifully. Clean, crisp, and tart, this is what a berlinerweiss should taste like. Complex enough to keep drinking and sour enough for me to remember that this isn't just a weissbier.

Light and spritzy on the palate, this is definitely a summer beer. Easily drinkable, this is something I will return to again and again, especially with its sub-$5 price tag. I wish there were more of these that were so widely available.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Body is pale yellow, with a slight greenish tinge. Even though the bottle was refrigerated, it was a bit of a gusher, but I had the glass ready, and none was lost. But a very gentle pour still produced a voluminous head. I let it settle for a few minutes and then it poured better.

Smells of lemon, light malt, hay, and a little spice (from the lactobacillus).

Tastes very fresh, light, and tart. It has a nice level of acidity, and there is a nice lemon flavor over a light malt backbone. The finish is dry with just a slight bit of lemon rind bitterness and spice. It is really refreshing.

The body is light and the carbonation is fizzy, giving this a lively and refreshing mouthfeel.

This is a fine example of the Berliner Weiss style. Very refreshing and at 5.0%, highly drinkable, although it is fairly tart. To moderate the acidity, Germans add sweet syrups to the beer, but I prefer consuming it with food where the acidity can do its thing. This would pair very well with roast chicken, seafood, and cheeses.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Pours an exceedingly pale straw color with a modest head that fizzes away rather quickly without leaving much lace behind

Smell: Musty aroma, definitely tart, with plenty of bready wheat underlying

Taste: Opens with a mellow bready flavor that is quickly joined by a tart lemon element that grows more sour by the minute; after the swallow, the lemony tartness continues to play off the bland base in a way that is intriguing and satisfying; as the beer warms, it betrays a hint of banana that wasn't there at colder temperature

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with buoyant carbonation

Drinkability: For a sour beer, this is compellingly easy to drink

4.46/5  rDev +9%

Great beer! Poured with a fine, white head and no lace. Color is a clear, light yellow. Aroma is tart, grassy, lemony, berry. Taste has tartness in the fore and the nose qualities. Body and carbonation are perfect for the style. Finish is clean and short to medium in length. Excellent summer beer alone and also equally good with a bit of fruit syrup such as raspberry. Would really like to get some more and lay it by.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem