Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Reviews: 573 | Hads: 1,334
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Pours a straw yellow and resembles a BMC product. Nice amount of head and a lot of carbonation.

Smell: Smells nice and tart with wheat characteristics in the nose.

Feel: Very well carbonated, light and dry on the tongue.

Overall: Nice beer although I would've liked more sourness in the tast.

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Pale straw yellow with tons of fluffy white head.

S - Hay, malt, and lemon peel.

T - Dry, some faint malt, dominated by a bitter lemon flavor and mouth-puckering sourness. Slightly peppery at the finish.

M - Insane carbonation, like a champagne.

O - A great beer for a light meal or on a hot day.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy honey yellow with thin white head. Smells of apricot, Belgian yeast and dried fruits. Sweet orange, chardonnay and wheat. Nice effervescence and chardonnay aftertaste. Medium light body goes nicely with the style.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - A very pale yellow with a lingering finger of white, frothy head.

S - Smells strongly of yeast/wheat, green apples, and white grapes.

T - This one is only mildly tart. Reminds me of a tart lager.

M - Medium-light body; not very carbonated.

O - A good beer but not one worth hunting down. I prefer the American BW's which seem to be a bit more tart.

3.72/5  rDev -9%

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse | 500 ml. | 5.0% ABV | 2011

Brewer: Professor Fritz Briem
Style: Berliner Weissbier
Glass: Duvel tulip

Murky pale straw-colored body, with a spasmodic head, at first bursting with big bubbles and then fizzling out. Next to no lacing. This is apparently on par or better for the style.

Eww... it smells like wet socks and stagnant piss, or maybe the socks are wet because of the piss; either way this is an arresting smell that makes my nose crinkle. I'll be slightly more scientific about it: there's citrus (lemon and white grapefruit) in the background, and pungent malt and a tangy white wine aroma in the foreground. Not pleasant at first, though it settles down.

Very tangy, citrusy, acidic and sour from the first sip. This will take some getting used to… OK, I've adjusted to it a bit. The tart flavor carries throughout the experience, though the finish is quick and clean, leaving behind a puckering astringency and lingering sourness on the tongue. With some more sipping, the grains become much more apparent (wheat and maybe barley), which pleases me. Those tart white grapes from the aroma come back in the aftertaste, leaving a sour, lactose-coated (from the lactobacillus culture?) film in the mouth for quite some time.

Prickly and highly carbonated while evidencing a sort of velvety softness as the liquid rolls off my tongue. Light-bodied.

This is a beer (and style) that grew on me while I was drinking it. At first the tartness and astringency provided a taste and texture I don't really like. But there was more to this brew then first met the tongue. In the end, I feel it is quite well balanced for the style, though next time I'll have it with food to balance out the sourness.

Would I get it again?:
Yes… but not as a regular beer. I would recommend it to someone who wants to try a Berliner Weissbier, and I might have it for a German-themed bierfest; just not on a regular basis.

Bottled: ?
Served: May 8, 2011

Price = $5.99 at Whole Foods (NYC)

Additional notes:
I did not like the smell at all. It seemed to me to be just that, a smell not a pleasing aroma. That said, if I find it to be typical of the style, I will have to change my score to reflect a middle ground between my personal aversion and what is to be expected. That would likely shift my score from a B+ to an A-.

3.72/5  rDev -9%

A: Pours a clear gold with a fizzy white mousse that disappears within seconds. Carbonation is obviously very active.

S: Tart and lactic on the nose with plenty of yeasty funk. A mild, grassy hop aroma is present in the background once the beer settles a bit. I wouldn't call this the most complex smelling beer in the world, but perhaps that is just a trait of this style.

T: Notes of minerals, sherry, champagne, lemon zest, herbs, grass, and honey are all over the palate. To be honest, I didn't detect much in the way of a wheat flavor. The finish is crisp and clipped with mineral, champagne, and grass flavors.

M: Light bodied, dry, and extremely spritzy. It feels a bit like champagne.

O: I'm not all that familiar with Berliner Weisse as a style, but I would venture to say that this is a solid example of what a traditional Berliner Weisse is supposed to be. I enjoyed the elegant character of this ale, but I'm not sure that I would be all that keen on revisiting this one until I've tried some other Berliner Weissbiers. All in all, this is a pretty decent beer.

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%

Fizzy overflow upon popping the cap. Big ol’ white head sits atop a liberally carbonated hazy yellow body: hard to fault the appearance of this one – stunning in a curvy hefe glass with a an even pancake of a head that sticks around for the long haul. Has the musty sort of lactic aroma associated with many wheat/Belgian styles; it’s citric, and there’s an aromatic sandalwood type smell. The carbonation jolts my throat – flavor is subtle but refreshing: light bodied, lemony, tart, and dry. Nice.

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16.9oz bottle poured into Samuel Smith pint glass

no visible dating on the bottle. however, this just came into the store I work at today and last week when we ordered it, it was out of stock. so I’m guessing this just recently arrived from across the pond and is as fresh as one can reasonably expect of a European beer.

A: (4)golden yellow, quite hazy. active carbonation. 3 finger bright white head that dissipated quickly leaving some but not much lacing.

S: (3.5) big yeast aromas, kind of Belgian-y. some coriander and citrus aroma too.

T: (3.75) a bit sour/tart, but not as much as I expected. the sourness more compliments the other flavors (which are reminiscent of a wheat beer) rather than overpowering them. some banana and lime flavors followed by a cleansing tartness. aftertaste is minimal, slightly sour.

M: (3.75) light, refreshing, tart. slightly below medium carbonation.

O: (3.75) a nice and refreshing beer for the summer months. kind of reminds me of a belgian wheat beer, but the added sourness/tartness makes it something different and quite a bit better in my opinion. a bit pricey at $6/16.9oz bottle, but something I’ll probably come back to one or two more times before the hot weather subsides.

3.69/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a tulip

A: This pours a clear, very light golden color with three fingers of head even with a very delicate pour.

S: A moderately strong lactic aroma dominates with lemon zest and light to moderate wheat in the background. I get a fruity guava aroma, too. Fairly strong aroma for a Berliner Weisse.

T: A strong tart flavor starts out, similar to granny smith apples. Not overly acidic, though. I get a good amount of wheat flavor as well, more than I'm used to for a Berliner Weisse.

M: Medium thickness, actually fairly thick for the style with very strong carbonation.

O: A bit thick and wheaty for a Berliner Weisse, but still quite nice.

3.69/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow body with a thick white head.

Smell: Aroma of sour wheat and tart lemon with a noticeable DMS character that smells distinctly of pot stewed veggies.

Taste: Faint, soft wheat flavors with a splash of lemon juice and merely a hint of sweetness. The DMS is much, much lighter - like adding an asparagus swizzle stick. Suspiciously refreshing finish that's both lightly sour and salty.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Not so bad, really. In fact, it's so tasty, I just HAD to tell the world!

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Reviewed on 7/22/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy yellow gold with a fizzy white head. Aroma of lots of spices, yeast. Smells like a witbier. Flavor of initial carbonation, yeast/bread, spices, with a slightly sour finish. Not as sour/tart as I'd expected from a berliner weisse and a little bit spicier. Still quite tasty and very drinkable.
7/4/7/4/13 (3.5/5)

3.67/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours a very pale and hazy straw color with a big frothy head. THe head quickly fizzes away. No lace.

S: Musty smelling, but with the familiar Weihenstephaner cloves and banana smell.

T: Tart and acidic. A strong lemon and citrus flavor up front gives way to a bready character in the finish.

M: Light with lots of carbonation. FIzzy.

D: The sourness takes some getting used to, but true to Weihenstephaner fashion, this is a good beer. I'll probably stick to the hefe next time though.

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%

Overall, I've had much stronger example of the style, but this is a very adequate rendition.

Appearance: One finger of quickly dissipating foam. Hazy yellow that my GF described accurately as "Mayer lemon" in color.

Aroma: Tartness is on the nose, which is a hard smell to describe. Slightly yeasty. Not very complex.

Taste: Crisp and tart at the get go with no real strong flavor comparisons. Dry like champagne, but nearly as robust. Tart but not sour, no pucker quality here. Overall taste fades very quickly and no strong after taste is present. Not an ounce of sweetness in this one.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, and smooth for a tart beer. Bubbly and crisp taste that goes down quickly.

Drinkability: While not complex, it is very refreshing and almost thirst quenching. It hides 5% ABV very well, especially when compared to lower ABV examples I've had in this style. This would actually be an awesome beer for a hot sumer day and a great beer to have for a picnic or day at the beach.

Overall: This is an adequate beer that I'd pick up again if I ran across it and was in the mood for this style, but I would not hold it to the same regard I hold others(The Bruery & Cambridge Brewing Company were much better).

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured a 16.9oz bottle into my Unibroue tulip. This beer pours a clear, straw yellow with a nice 2 inch white head. The aroma of this beer is what reminds me of sweet tarts. Definite sour notes, with a little grain, and just a hint of brown sugar. The taste is sour wheat malt. It seems to me to be really 1 dimensional. Just tart with a bit of what reminds me of green veggies. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. While drinkable, I find it just a little to tart for a beer that's not a sour.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle from Winking Lizard. Served with a cup of raspberry syrup which I declined. Pours a somewhat hazy yellow-gold color with a medium thin bone white head that diminishes slowly. Patches of lacing on the glass. Tart fruit, doughy malt and spices in the nose. Light-bodied and clean with a tart citrus and raspberry character. Mild spices and grainy malt flavors as well. The finish is fruity with a lingering tartness afterward. Overall this is pretty interesting.

3.64/5  rDev -11%

Reviewing beers like this is always tough: does it matter more that it is a good beer or more that it is horrifically not to style?

The beer pours a nice pale straw with an incredibly amount of carbonation. It certainly looks like a Berliner Weiss.

But then the smell hits. Bananas. It seems like they used a weizen yeast for this beer, which is very unusual as Berliner Weisses normally use a very clean fermenting yeast strain. It is really a very one dimensional smell: just bananas.

The taste is an awkward love-child of Weizen and Berliner Weiss flavors. A blast of banana followed by a nice, light lactic tartness. Personally, I think it could have been more tart, but I tend to like my beers very sour. The aftertaste is a lingering "cream" from the protein in the wheat.

The mouthfeel is fantastic, nice and bubbly. Given that this beer is twice the strength of a modern Berliner Weiss, I was expecting the beer to be too full for the style, but it maintains a nice champagne-like mouthfeel: thin and bubbly. I dig it.

The drinkability of the beer is pretty good. I certainly like it and will probably buy it again, but I'm having a hard time getting past the banana. I mean, if they are going to use a weizen yeast, they should at least try to get some clove in there to balance it out. It reminds me of a homebrewed Berliner Weiss I made a while ago, where my girlfriend turned the temperature up in the apartment without telling me. The yeast I used (nottingham -- not quite to style either, I know) kicked off a ton of banana. Just one-dimensional banana. This beer reminds me of that homebrew.

Certainly not bad, but not what I was looking for either.

3.64/5  rDev -11%

Large, noisey, white head that burns itself out into nothing. I'm told this is standard for the style. Cloudly, pale lager yellow. Lotsa bubbles.

Tart green apple.

Tastes like water (yet very dry, huh)that has had Lemonheads soaking in it--kind of a one trick pony. Again, not my thing but par for the course I guess. Thin.

I'll take everybody's word that this is a good representation of style and hey, the bottle says Napolean drank it so that's good. Right?

3.64/5  rDev -11%

16.9oz bottle. Poured a light and hazy straw color with a huge sized white head. Aromas of cloves, bananas, wheat, and citrus. Tastes of wheat, lemons/citrus, and very light spices. Tart finish. Body on the thinner side. I could see drinking this on a hot and humid day.

Notes from and tasted on 6/12/07.

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle. Pours a hazy golden with a huge white head that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. The head reappears with some swirling of the glass. Aroma is wheat, grass, a light funk, and some lemony zest. Initial taste is a lemony zest, going into some wheat, light grapefruit. Finish is more wheat with some yeasty funk. Light body. Medium-low carbonation. Overall a pretty tasty beer.

3.62/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse. 5% ABV.

A: Two full fingers of head. Dull yellow, with just a hint of orange. White-ish in the dimple. Lacing slides right off.

S: Smells like a standard wheat beer, with some added tartness. Slight hay.

T/MF: Damn! That's a lot of acidity, at first. It starts out really crisp and straight up acidic, but the acid fades quickly. No inherent fruit flavor. Slight kiss of lemon-lime/grapefruit as it fades. Bone dry, immediately afterwards (very interesting, considering the lower ABV). Actually, there is a stone fruit aspect to the tartness. Like a very light colored (white, even) nectarine. Nice, but needs more flavor to it. Added fruit, perhaps. Either way, this does peak my interest for further exploration into Berliner Weisses.

This actually reminds me a lot of a Sierra Mist or Squirt.

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

3.61/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brought back from Indy. Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. The labels had interesting story about the style and how this is part of their lost style series - interesting. No dating info. It was a hazy pale straw color. Amazing amount of carbonation in it. Almost like champagne. No lacing. It had a massive fizzy white head that quickly settled into a thick foam that was constantly fed by the carb.

After reading the other reviews, I was drooling as I love sour beers but this one disappointed. The aroma was almost wit or saison like with some granny smith apple in there as well. Some sour from the apple but pretty muted. The taste had even less sour to it. Just a small sour bite. Not sure if I got a bad bottle or if I'm just used to really sour beers after going on a Wild Ale kick these days. The flavor was good but seemed to be lacking. A bigger sour bite would make this one outstanding. As is, this bottle is good but not great. Gonna have to find another sometime.

Overall, an interesting beer that has potential if it gets more sour to it. Hopefully, my bottle was off and I can try a new one in the future. I do recommend as it is rare style and it does have a unique taste.

3.6/5  rDev -12%

I knew this beer had a different character, but it still surprised me negatively, even though I enjoy sour beers. This Berliner Weisse poured as a golden, somewhat hazy with no neck at all (not even a poorly retained one). The smell is a mixture of curdled milk, leather, sweat - all expected from the style, but they were too evident here. The taste is very refreshing, with good carbonation and acidity. The low-body, but impacting taste leaves more tartness in the finish.

My scores were based on the pure, non-syruped drink. For reference, I also used a non-standard passion fruit concentrate, but even generous amounts of it did not mitigate the overwhelming lactic character - again, it was expected, but too evident on this beer. It helped the appearance, though, as I could finally see a white neck just for a few seconds.

500ml bottle.

It pours a light hazy gold with a super foamy bright white head that lasts seemingly forever.

The smell has some brett scent to it, some funk, but mostly fruitiness. Mostly light fruits.

The flavor is similar. Light and zippy, though heavier than other examples I have had.

3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Extraordinarily clear liquid, at least until I poured the second half of the bottle. Now, there's LOTS of clumped yeast in the beer. Straw colored. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. Good starting head but it completely fizzes out to no bubbles and correspondingly no lace.

Mildly wheaty and quite sour to the nose. Some yeast.

Initial sip is mild but soon grows in lemony tartness. The beer is less carbonated than the appearance would lead one to believe.Crisp and clean, there is virtually no aftertaste except a lingering creaminess that reminds me of skim milk.

This tastes better once the yeast from the base of the bottle is added to the glass.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - pours a golden color with great clarity into a hefe half-liter. The bead coming up to meet the 2 inch head is pretty cool looking. I held up on the pour and unwittingly disturbed some of the sediment in the bottle. A bit got in, clouding the view, but it's only a light haze. The head bubbles down but is staying at a cover thanks to active bubbling below.

Aroma - standard grain and a light funkiness.

Taste - a quick flavor of graininess, taken over by a lemony sourness in short order. Being style-prepped by Festina Peche, I was more expectant of the flavor, which helps. The funky element is light and this is a fairly enjoyable beer. The finish is dry, tart, and clean, albeit burp-inducing.

Mouthfeel - high carbonation, crisp body, lighter weight.

Drinkability - mostly tasted for posterity, but after the experience, I would have it in Berlin, no problem.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem