Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

500ml bottle poured into a Berliner Kindl bowl.

A - Pours a golden amber color which is a touch darker than I expect out of this style of beer. A thin soda-like head falls quickly to the surface leaving behind only the never-ending replenishment supply of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the bowl. Crystal clear - a beer you can read thru.

S - Acetic, sour, some apple cider vinegar nature, some slight lemony flavor too. Not as fruity or delicate as I'd like to see here.

T - Sour, as expected, acetic acid, a bit buttery, no real fruitiness, dry, a bit minerally, somewhat champagne like. Some breadlike malt character too...a bit heavy for the style.

M - Mouthfeel is thin and watery with good medium high carbonation. Puckering and quite dry and crisp. Pretty good overall.

D - I've had a number of Berliner Weissbiers and this one stands out as different from all of the others I've had...more alcohol, more malt character, darker color...all seem to be a bit off for the style. This is still an enjoyable beer, but I would call it a bit flawed for the style.

portia99, Apr 03, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours golden, big white head. Lots of floaties.

S: Apple ciderish nose, citrus rind, accented with some must.

T/M: Tartness is present but subdued. Impression of lemons and yeasty bread. Light in body, high in carbonation.

O: A refreshing beer, excellent with a light meal with enough flavor to stand on its own. I liked the White Birch Berliner Weiss better, however.

zoolzoo, Apr 11, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

a 500ml bottle purchased for me from Jax in Cumming by OskarsBamaBlues for the clearance price of $2. Poured into its branded glass which is more of a weapon than a glass.

A: Very very light straw yellow color with quite a bit of carbonation at pour that disappears extremely fast. There is no lacing at all. According to the description the lack of head and lace is normal for the style.

S: The smell is an interesting lemony tart smell.

T: Quite a bit of lemony tartness from the first sip. You do not get much in the way of sweetness from the grain since the tartness is so much the life of the party, but it is there in the background. The tartness is even more overpowering in the finish. I can understand why people add syrup to make it less tart. If I had some, I would certainly try it.

M: Quite thin and almost watery. The tartness in the after taste leaves the mouth with an odd feeling that I can not describe. Once again, likely appropriate for the style so I won't dock it much.

D: This one is not drinkable at all for me due to the tartness.

GatorBeerNerd, Jul 22, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

This is a fascinating and amazingly interesting beer. It's not an appealing beer to behold, being a little cloudy and full of floaties. The head is a soda-pop fizz that fades as quickly as it forms. The aroma, however, is complex and intriguing. Sour-smelling, lactic, horse-sweat, funk, grass, and straw. It's not as appealing as a lambic's smell, but it is interesting, and will surely keep your nose engaged. The taste is not really sour..but very well balanced. More funk, and a very appealing crispness. It would be quite refreshing on a hot summer day (too bad I'm drinking it on a cold winter night). Light body, with a relatively low carbonation. Great smoothness and texture...I love the mouthfeel. All in all, this is not a beer that I'd go out of my way to drink, but it's a wonderful experience. Hail the funk!

Suds, Jan 23, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

500ml bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a hazy straw color. There's about one finger worth of white-colored head. Because the actual body looks fizzy, retention is poor. The soapiness of the head's texture also means that no lacing is left on the glass.

S: Like the style would suggest, there's a healthy lacto presence, expressing itself as funky, stank-ass cheese. Acidic notes are actually fairly prevalent. It's pretty simple, but a bit more balanced than most.

T: Tartness hits the palate first, but only very briefly. Wheat notes end up being the dominant flavor, especially around the mid-taste. If there's any flaw, it's that the finish seems a bit empty. I don't really care, though, because this is the first example of the style I'd call "good".

M: This has the kind of feel that works perfectly in hot weather: light-bodied, dry, fizzy, with a hint of lingering tartness. Really fizzy, in fact - the carbonation is almost brutal at times. Still goes down easily.

O: Out of the Berliner Weissbiers I've rated, not a single one has scored higher than a 3 from me. This, though, is actually quite solid. Beers like these are exactly why I never give up on a style I dislike. This would also make a great introduction to those who've never had the style before.

ThisWangsChung, Jul 03, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

Purchased on 2/10/10 from Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH, and consumed the same day. 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle poured into a short wide tumbler and split with my lady. Bottle is certainly verbose, boasting traditional mash hopping and no wort boiling, as well as dubbing this part of a "Historic Signature Series." The bottle gives a loud hiss upon opening and smells of lactic acid and honey.

A- Pours a polished pale straw to straw with no head in the center and a large-bubbled, active, white collar (not to be confused with a large, bubbled, active, white collar). This is the clearest of the Berliner Weissbiers that I've had the pleasure of laying eyes on (third of three). Achieving this amount of clarity without boiling must require filtering, no? Can filtering be considered "traditional"? I'm not sure if I should add or subtract points: I guess I won't do either. A handful of beading bubbles aggressively race to the surface. No lacing- I would like to blame that on the acidity, but as discussed below, that may not be the case.

S- Sweeter than expected: oatmeal, wheat, rice, maple syrup and brown sugar (only in sweetness, not in dark sugar character), and a fruity-apple character. A small amount of lactic bacteria influence and equally as little yeast character. Much too mellow in what is arguably this style's two most important categories. Smells eerily similar to the "king of beers" with an added small amount of lactic sourness.

T- The acidity is gone as quickly as it shows itself, and is minimal at best. Very balanced between wheat and pils malt flavors, although finishing on the wheat based, sweet side. A fruity, apple flavor blends in with the small amount of acidity in the beginning and continues on after the sourness subsides. This is an average beer with too little acidity (even for a Berliner Weissbier) to lift this much above average.

M- Medium bodied for 5.0% ABV with a moderate to high amount of sweetness in the finish. Doesn't look very carbonated, but once on the tongue, it really expands with an elevated amount of carbonation. Any amount of "swishing" makes the beer fizz uncontrollably. Good for the style, but doesn't finish dry enough.

D- Overall, this scores well above average for drinkability. But, compared to other beers within its own style, it probably scores just above average (taking into account my limited experience with this style). Not sure this really qualifies as a historic representation. At 5%, aprroaching the higher end for style. Refreshing, but not in the ways I was hoping for.

Nothing leads me to believe I didn't drink this in good condition, but looking at the other reviews I would really like to give this another try since I like the style and this does come from a reputable brewer of wheat based beer.

Pecorasc, Feb 11, 2010
3.44/5  rDev -16.3%

a hazy golden yellow pour with a finger of bright white head. a very wheat based bready aroma, a slight peppery nose to it as well - not getting any of the aromas i'm used to in berliner weiss as far as tart/acidic goes. a funky flavor profile, slightly tart, a bit on the sour side, but very subtle. a very refreshing bready beer, however if you were looking for a battery acid type flavor you're looking in the wrong place.
light body with high carbonation and a slightly sour feel. this is a nice traditional beer, not as good as some of the others i've had, and definitely not as tart as the others out there but i can see this being a good introduction into the style for some people willing to expand their tastes.

facundoCNB, Jul 28, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Picked this up in Zanesville, being forewarned by my buddy that it was probably an older bottle; I hope it worked out in my favor. No bottle dating ugh...

A: Pours a transparent light honey-yellow color, crazy carbonation. This this thing's head blew up into a faygo style fizz mountain, quickly receding into a little bubble cap.

S: This isn't the aroma I would expect from this style, the main thing is a kinda old caramel malt aroma. Some bubblegum, lacto, aged hops, and malt. Along with caramel this really has a honey sweet aroma.

T: As soon as I drink this has a "I start off seeming tart so I'm gonna get super puckering" thing that never really comes to fruition. It has a a good wine tartness I get some apricot, white grape, an apple variety, and spicy wheat. I enjoy the white wine characteristics on the swallow, the wheat kinda washes them out on the finish a bit. There is a fair amount of oxidation to go around.

M: Fizzy in the mouth. Real slick and coating with a not-too-thin body. One of the highlights of the beer for sure.

O: I've loved the other representations of this style I've had before, so I had high hopes for this one. I'm pretty sure this was indeed an older bottle and this stuff doesn't hold up the best. I would feel bad about rating this lower but they can't bother bottle dating these. I'd have to pass next time, too big of a gamble when most of the other Euro brewers can manage to date.

Leaving it in the glass for a little bit seems to let this open up much better. Dry white wine really begins to take over.

schwaeh, Feb 11, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Split a bottle with gabeerfan. I was anxious to try this as a different style of wheat beer I have not yet had. Its probably better closer to the source. I was a bit underwhelmed for all the hype.

A: No head at all. Looks more like wine or cider coming out of the bottle into the bulb glass. Also not cloudy either.

S: tart and wheaty; in line with the style

T: ehh...I am a big hefe fan and this took some getting used to. This is very fruity but is more like lemons and pears. No banana, no clove, no coriander. Really, it tasted a lot like pear cider to me; just dryer.

M: not much fizz at all.

D: I would like to try other brands in this style and would probably like this beer better closer to its source. Not sure I will be picking it up in the bottle again any time soon.

gabeerfanswife, Jun 19, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

This is a personal first for this style. From what I've gathered this beer should act as a good representation.

1809 pours a lively and somewhat hazy golden yellow. The active fizziness provides a white head that quickly disappears leaving only the golden beer.

Smells of tart lemon zest and contains a slightly grassy or hay like scent.

Very tart tasting, but not overwhelmingly so or causing me to reach for some syrup. Lemon qualities stand out more so than in the nose. Crisp and clean finish.

Mouthfeel is reminiscent of ginger ale with large active carbonation. Likely to style, but not to my tastes. Highly drinkable, but I wouldn't reach for another. Altogether a fairly straightforward beer that doesn't carry much depth. I don't see the call for syrup as necessary.

Jmamay22, May 08, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Cloudy gold color with a big bubble fluff head that dies to nothing and leaves no lace. fine.
Smells a bit farty sadly. Smells like wine that's been left on the lees for too long. Anaerobic decomposition stank. A bit eggy. Some h2s smellies? Or like a half jug of apple cider you forgot you had in the back of your fridge. Not entirely unpleasant but not so nice.
MMM taste is clean tart and refreshing with absolutely no hint at all of the stinksies in the nose. Not complex but so nice to quaff. Lemon and cider with a bit of wet grain on the swallow.
Carb is lively and inviting and it goes down nice a easy.
I wish that nose was a bit cleaner. I understand the process lends itself to that...but not all of 'em I've had have a stank. With my experience so far with this style I've liked the American versions much better than the german versions. This one is alright and nice to quaff.

7ate9, May 13, 2011
3.49/5  rDev -15.1%

500ml bottle, vintage 2009. Reviewed from notes; thanks to whoever shared this!

A: Opaque yellow body under a fine layer of off-white head that settles into a ring and leaves spotty lace. All right.

S: Moderate lemony sourness, some strawberry, grassiness, and peppery spice. Mild yet complex.

T: Follows the nose - mix of fruity sourness, bready malt, and bizarre spice. A little musty on the back end. Interesting and enjoyable.

M: Medium body, still, and slick. Ok.

O: Intriguing beer, but not one I'm dying to revisit.

Cheers!

woosterbill, May 19, 2014

alienlifeforcecube, May 15, 2014

williamjbauer, Oct 27, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy golden straw yellow body with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. The head is a big soapy white that fades quickly to a thin ring.

S- The crisp clean smell of wheat has a slight tart note to it but it is very clean.

T- The slight tart note has a hint of lemon and a light fresh wheat followed by a note of club soda. The finish is a light cider note with a hint of mead flavor.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a very dry finish.

D- This beer has a light tangy note but it is very filling. This beer is smooth but there is not much depth of flavor and the tartness is a bit too soft to keep in interesting.

rhoadsrage, Jun 22, 2007

sunofneurot, Mar 23, 2014

CaptainNomihodai, May 28, 2014

jpajpajeff, Mar 18, 2012

ThatsThatDude, Jan 06, 2014

ilikebeer03, Aug 19, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip

A- Pours a cloudy shade of orangeish/yellow with a two finger pure white head that sticks around for awhile

S- nice lemony laced aroma

T- tart and lemony...but I'm also getting hints of booze (in a 5% beer?!) and some sweetness as well

M- actually a little thick...decent body to it, which is a turnoff for the style

O- it's a good beer, but it's not a good berliner weisse.

bigfnjoe, May 21, 2012