1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 961 | Reviews: 523 | Show All Ratings:
Thanby

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a clear pale honey color with a small white head that leaves a crown.

Smells like a lemon explosion. Reminds me of a white wine. Very acidic, white grapes, sour apple, hard to pick out the malt.

Tastes like a lemon explosion. It tastes more like a tart pinot grigio than a beer. The malt comes through at the end as a pale dry wheat and is quickly drowned out by the after-effect of the tartness.

Light but a little sticky, very tart and with so much acidity it's hard to pick out detailed flavors because my glands are secreting as much saliva as possible in response to the tartness. Something of a confusing experience.

This was not at all what I was expecting. However, re-evaluated under the category it actually fits, it appears to be a fairly complex and interesting brew.

But it still is like a whole tree of lemons exploding in my mouth.

03-16-2011 00:07:51 | More by Thanby
bowersdm

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

16.9oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A - the color is reminiscent of a dehydrated person's urine. pale yellow. A tall white head quickly formed and then quickly dissipated...kind of like pouring 7-up or sprite into a cup. Even though there was no head, there was continual carbonation making its way to the top of the beer. very unappetizing appearance

S - lactic acid, wheat, and grape jelly?

T - way too dry for my enjoyment. I'm not sure whether the tanginess is due to the lactic acid, the wheat, or both. If it's because of the lactic acid then there was no malt flavor to notice. It was a very, tart, sour fruit flavor with a very acidic, biting quality to it. The beer was dry throughout.

M - a very bubbly beer, like champagne.

D - i was not a fan of this beer.

02-04-2009 03:22:00 | More by bowersdm
azorie

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

A: a very cloudy pale yellow in color, with a 2" head that dissipates fast and leaves no lacing.

S: sweet malt, flower perfume like hops, Tart apples cut open

T: semi sour at first with pineapple like mild flavor, some tart apple, some malt crispness, not much in the way of hops detected, yeast seems sweet. as it warms it goes to lemon citrus, and you get some light banana notes as well.

M: light, slick, fizzy, slightly astringent

D: refreshing, easy to drink, I enjoyed it.

09-07-2010 19:31:06 | More by azorie
Ozzylizard

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Undated bottle at 45 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma sour
Head huge (8 cm), white, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to a broken 1 mm layer
Lacing none
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins sour and dry – no malt, no hops, no diacetyl, no alcohol, very refreshing for a weisse
Palate light, dry, lively carbonation

This is a dry, refreshing, slightly lemony beer which would be an excellent lawn mower beer. Definitely worth trying – more jobs for Lactobacilli!

03-05-2014 13:18:04 | More by Ozzylizard
bminor7

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

16.9 - quite a fancy bottle.

A - straw golden, almost urinish. Fizzy bit of head that dissipates quickly. Not a lot to keep it up. a little bit of yeast at the bottom.

S - the wheaty, light hoppy notes of a hefeweizen, but with a sourness...wtf is this stuff...I did not know what a Berliner Weiss was before I got this

T - hmm, crispy fresh wheat beer flavor in the front, then unexpectedly, a sourness appears! This is pretty interesting and quite delicious. a very dry finish. dont know if it's all lactic acid, but there seems to be some citrus in the front as well. very interesting.

M - effervescent

D - good...good...if this came in cans I'm sure I would be toting it everywhere. Hard to find but this is a relatively rare style (only 7 beers listed on BA) with a great contrasting flavor profile. Big fan - get it if you see it and see what this style is all about.

11-26-2010 23:40:01 | More by bminor7
busterthecat

Picked up a bottle for ~$7. Poured into a wine glass. No date on bottle.

A- pours a bright wheat color from bottle. By adding a touch of the yeast from the bottle the beer sits a pale yellow hue. No head forms and only a few bubbles rise to the surface.

S- Bright sweet lemon with a good mellow tartness. Dusty notes with some wheat. Smells very light and refreshing.

T- Similar to the aroma indicated. Sweet lemon, a light tartness, wheat & dust. Simple mellow and refreshing. Flavors are pretty bold for such a light beer.

M- Medium bodied for a beer this light. Drinks like a light lemonade, except better. The tartness lingers lightly as the beer slowly dries.

O- A nice simple refreshing beer. Reminded me of JP Weizen Bam. So easy to drink. The flavors are bold enough to make this interesting. This beer exists between a wit and a blond sour. Would like to try more of this style.

11-08-2011 02:46:30 | More by busterthecat
BeerGodz

On Tap @ The Devil's Den

Look: Pale golden color, cloudy - yeasties dancing all over, with a head that dissipates very quickly

Smell: Lemon zest, vanilla, wheat, acid funk - very aromatic

Taste: Up Front: Nice and tart, lemon zest. Finish: Sweet. Good balance of malt and wheat flavors

Mouthfeel: Thin, and very smooth

Drinkability: Super quaffable session beer! Uber refreshing! Not sure how many I could have in a row. I'll have to test that one day.

Overall Impression: This is a style that will appeal to people that enjoy Tart Belgian Ales, and Wild Ales. I strongly recommend against getting the syrup poured into it, thus making it a foofoo girly drink.

02-25-2010 01:35:42 | More by BeerGodz
danedelman

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Planning on brewing a berliner weisse so doing some homework. Poured in a large sniffter glass.

I have to say after looking at reviews on youtube that those people do not understand the style at all. Saying it is like bud light and lime is an insult. They say the french brought over the sour mashing technique as they traveled through Flanders, it shows!!

A-very clear pale yellow with a nice white fluffy head.

S-funky sourness, grapefruit, lemon juice, wheat, peach, apricot and on and on. Very clean.

T-starts with the sourness of a ruby red grapefruit with lemon and some grass. Wheat smooths this one out nicely and adds some body. Flavors of peach come out too similiar to a Fou Foune.

M-very light and refreshing. I am brewing this to be enjoyed in the heat of summer. Can't wait!!

02-02-2012 02:19:55 | More by danedelman
sjccmd

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%

Foams upon opening. Pours mostly clear golden yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing probably because of the acidity.

Green apples, hay, some biscuity malts in the background. Very lemony. Relatively mild aroma. No hop character.

Tart up front followed by slight funk. Lemons and a tiny amount of malt sweetness in the finish. Earthy and refreshing.

Explosive carbonation. Very dry with lingering earthy and malty character. Cleans out very quickly. Extremely refreshing.

A very mild and refreshing beer.

03-10-2013 02:06:15 | More by sjccmd
schwaeh

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Picked this up in Zanesville, being forewarned by my buddy that it was probably an older bottle; I hope it worked out in my favor. No bottle dating ugh...

A: Pours a transparent light honey-yellow color, crazy carbonation. This this thing's head blew up into a faygo style fizz mountain, quickly receding into a little bubble cap.

S: This isn't the aroma I would expect from this style, the main thing is a kinda old caramel malt aroma. Some bubblegum, lacto, aged hops, and malt. Along with caramel this really has a honey sweet aroma.

T: As soon as I drink this has a "I start off seeming tart so I'm gonna get super puckering" thing that never really comes to fruition. It has a a good wine tartness I get some apricot, white grape, an apple variety, and spicy wheat. I enjoy the white wine characteristics on the swallow, the wheat kinda washes them out on the finish a bit. There is a fair amount of oxidation to go around.

M: Fizzy in the mouth. Real slick and coating with a not-too-thin body. One of the highlights of the beer for sure.

O: I've loved the other representations of this style I've had before, so I had high hopes for this one. I'm pretty sure this was indeed an older bottle and this stuff doesn't hold up the best. I would feel bad about rating this lower but they can't bother bottle dating these. I'd have to pass next time, too big of a gamble when most of the other Euro brewers can manage to date.

Leaving it in the glass for a little bit seems to let this open up much better. Dry white wine really begins to take over.

02-11-2012 23:55:43 | More by schwaeh
Mudpuppet

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Poured from a 20oz bottle into a Pilsner glass. Pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice 1/4" head. I left the yeast in the bottle.

S- Peaches for sure. I am pretty confident there are none in this style but I smell them very strongly. Some mild sourness comes through on the nose too.

T- Peaches again and some apples too. You would think they are in there. You get the wheat backbone also. The sourness is not over-powering, not quite as high as a lambic or wild ale.

M- Really highly carbonated. This is perfect for this style. Nice and crisp like a refreshing soda.

D- I could drink this all day. I am making a homebrew version of this later this month and I cannot wait to have it here to drink this summer. This is a beer you could drink 4 or 5 of.

03-17-2008 23:14:32 | More by Mudpuppet
Cheesemoose

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Split into a 12oz tulip.

Pours a mild yellow, though reveals a good brown note. Mild fizzy head that dissipates rather quickly.

Nose is very dry. Like sniffing a dry chardonnay. Earthy notes, a bit of citrus on the edges with a sour/funk that reminds me of cutting into an unripe lemon. Or grapefruit for that matter.

Light, mild citrus notes. Mild spice character. Lingering sweetness, though mild. Did I say the flavors presented are mild? Big bite in the front, but after that resides, the "weisse" part takes over.

Clean finish, crispness and a fizzy mouthfeel. An experience.

A testament to the style and a fine example of what it should be, although, it is rather bland and lifeless. If you could consider this to be the "banner bearer" of berliner weisse, then I can see plenty of room for which this style could grow. Regardless, an excellent summer style and beer.

09-04-2011 05:16:14 | More by Cheesemoose
BdubleEdubleRUN

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Big thanks to Stakem for this bottle in our recent trade, insane box.
A - Served in a tulip this beer pours a murky faint neon yellow with a small white head that fades quickly but has continuous bubbles running the side of the glass.
S - Theres definitly a tart funkiness in the nose of this beer, with notes that remind me of lemon pepper.
T - Stakem informed me this beer is better slightly warmer then most and there is no doubt about that. Spent about 45 minutes sipping on this and the last 20 were where it really stood out. Lots of lemon citrus taste with a funky brett character and perfect tartness.
M - Enjoyable mouthfeel, that was crisp and somewhat dry, very easy drinking.
O - Only my second in the style and really liked it.
Looking forward to some Stakem homebrew Berliner's someday, thanks again Adam.

09-29-2011 13:01:31 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
midnite2sixman

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this from a 16.9 bottle. It pours a hazy straw color with an immediate head from an aggressive pour which dissipates in a swirl of bubbles that continue to rise from the beer for a long time after the pour

Smells like fresh green apples, not the crap apples you buy in stores that are 2lbs and genetically modified. A real apple. Probably granny smith.

Taste is a bit sour with a sweet finish kind of a like an apple champagne or something like that.

Mouthfeel is light and champagney.

Worth a shot!

11-15-2008 08:14:56 | More by midnite2sixman
VaterRoss

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

Serving: poured from 500ml bottle into Blue Moon weizen glass.

Appearance: wow! huge frothing head that forced me to ease up on the pour. Clear straw yellow color with vigorous carbonation. Fun to watch the head from the top as it actually surges and bubbles for minutes.

Smell: dry with a hint of lemon citrus. Slight wheat smell.

Taste: dry with lemon, then you get the intense bitter sourness.

Mouthfeel: light, extremely carbonated and dry, slightly mouth puckering.

Overall: Very interesting, almost like a mix of a dry champagne and sugarless European citrus soda with some wheat grounding it in beer territory. While I am willing to try this style again, I found the dry sourness to be a bit intense. Luckily I was able to pair this with some food (baked salmon), but I do not think I would drink this without food.

12-22-2011 03:18:40 | More by VaterRoss
aficionado

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Crackling carbonation is quite high. Like a Perrier sparkling water. Nice head. The cleanest of light golden yellow bodies. Aroma is dominant with Granny apples, but there's also lots of lemon. Floral, fruity, Autumn apples. Taste is tart but not as sour as I had hoped. Fruity and dry. Thin, crisp, refreshing mouthfeel. On the bottle: Lactic acid. Mash hopped, No wort boiling...Hmmm I'm intrigued.

10-12-2011 22:38:36 | More by aficionado
BethanyB

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Hazy, and dark yellow, with a large, even, foamy, ivory head, which shrank considerably at first, but then decided to stick around.

Smell: Similar to a weizen, with banana, bubblegum, and light clove aromas. No sour or floral aromas.

Taste: Satisfying umami taste, with brettanomyces producing a cozy citrus sourness that was incredibly enjoyable, and not at all puckering.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light mouthfeel with high carbonation creates the beer's characteristic effervescence.

Overall: Absolutely delicious. Must be experienced to be truly understood, as there's nothing quite like a berliner weisse! A little confusing on the nose, since it lacked the sour aroma that would have prevented it from smelling like a hefeweizen.

08-21-2013 17:19:40 | More by BethanyB
chefelf

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

07-25-2011 13:53:07 | More by chefelf
dakid618

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into 10oz pilsner type glass. Pours a light golden color with tons of fizzy soapy head. Smell is faint and in my opinion apple like. I've never had a lighter beer that tasted quite like this. Very funky taste in a good way. Tastes like a really light sour to me. Light mouthfeel almost like drinking water. Very drinkable, I will be enjoying this beer often in the summer months.

03-23-2009 01:33:30 | More by dakid618
GuzzLah

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a hazy light yellow with a huge head and a ton of carbonation.

Aroma is bubblegum, green apple, hay and loose tobacco.

Taste is similar to the aroma with wheat and some green apple tartness, but not super tart. I don't pick up any lacto. The finish is relatively dry and slightly tart.

Overall, this was somewhat of a disappointment. It just tasted like a boring, fizzy wheat beer with a little bit of tartness. I'll conclude that I prefer the modern American Berliners with a more robust lacto component than this traditional Berliner.

03-03-2013 23:46:45 | More by GuzzLah
codysjb

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my lost abbey stem glass.
A: Pours a massive head that dissipates quickly, (20 seconds to bubble down). Straw yellow color that’s murky throughout.
S: Barnhouse funk, lemons and sourness, with some grape and orange notes. Smells amazing.
T: Sour and carbonated upfront with some funk and a slight lemon taste on the end with the traditional European taste that (to me) separates American beer from European styles. Kinda musty.
M: Carbonation and lemon that pull away from the funk.
O: Really good example of the style. It’s no limbic but it’s really tasty and certainly the best example of the style I’ve had (and one of the most affordable and price appropriate). A

01-17-2012 04:42:44 | More by codysjb
kylehayworth

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Cloudy golden wheat, the head bubbles up like alka-seltzer, and doesn't stick around very long.

S: Smell reminds me of sparkling champagne, with all the subtle nuances: sour apple, lemon, and lime.

T: It taste somewhat like the smell, lot of really crisp and tart notes, focusing on sour apple, lemon, and lime, in that order.

M/D: Loads of carbonation in the mouth feel, it even holds bubbles down to the last drop. Very clean and crisp. I really enjoy this, it is only my second beer from this style, but taste great. Perfect for the time, summer and heat. I would definitely drink this again.

05-08-2010 00:03:17 | More by kylehayworth
Pabs311

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -8%

A- pours a crisp, slear goldeen yellow with a very bubbly white head that disipates quickly, no lacing. alot of active carbonation.

S- lemon zest, lemonade, spices, yeasty bread qualities.

T- similar to the nose. alot of sour lemon zest ip front that finishes with a little dash of spice. very refreshing for a hot day.

M/D- medium-light bodied, high carbonation. very refreshing and quite appealing.

07-16-2010 22:19:15 | More by Pabs311
GregBlatz

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Thought I would give a Berliner Weisse a try. I know this is a reproduction, but it was all I could find at the local brew spot.

Very cloudy straw like color. Pours with an aggressive bleach white head that quickly recedes. Tight tiny bubbles persist.

Smell is similar to a typical german weisse, but with a fruity sour note.

Very tart and fruity. Strong lemon-like citrus flavor. No noticeable hop or malt flavor. Almost reminds me of a tall refreshing glass of lemonade. The tartness is very similar to sucking on a vitamin c tablet(which strangely, I kind of like).

I drank this out of a true Berliner Weisse bowl that I had received long ago. I know this glass is designed to drink with woodruff or fruit additives, but what the heck.

This is a beer that I could drink all day long on a hot summer day.

01-22-2008 01:42:36 | More by GregBlatz
eagles22

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: beautiful light golden body,carbonation bubbles flowing through this beer with a huge white fluffy heady.

Smell: Barnyard funk, lemons, light toffee tone with some bready malts and yeast.

Taste: slightly sweet, bready malts at first than leads to tart lemons and barnyard funk..very impressive beer

Mouthfeel: very sharp because of the carbonation but very light on the palate.

Drinkability:off the charts! This is going to be my goto beer for the summer.

03-06-2011 22:29:52 | More by eagles22