1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 961 | Reviews: 523 | Show All Ratings:
HabiMendes

Rhode Island

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

I knew this beer had a different character, but it still surprised me negatively, even though I enjoy sour beers. This Berliner Weisse poured as a golden, somewhat hazy with no neck at all (not even a poorly retained one). The smell is a mixture of curdled milk, leather, sweat - all expected from the style, but they were too evident here. The taste is very refreshing, with good carbonation and acidity. The low-body, but impacting taste leaves more tartness in the finish.

My scores were based on the pure, non-syruped drink. For reference, I also used a non-standard passion fruit concentrate, but even generous amounts of it did not mitigate the overwhelming lactic character - again, it was expected, but too evident on this beer. It helped the appearance, though, as I could finally see a white neck just for a few seconds.

03-10-2013 17:43:42 | More by HabiMendes
Cinderbike

Nevada

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Pale straw yellow with tons of fluffy white head.

S - Hay, malt, and lemon peel.

T - Dry, some faint malt, dominated by a bitter lemon flavor and mouth-puckering sourness. Slightly peppery at the finish.

M - Insane carbonation, like a champagne.

O - A great beer for a light meal or on a hot day.

12-24-2011 03:05:13 | More by Cinderbike
Profchaos20

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Reviewed 5/17/13. 16.9 OZ bottle in snifter.

A - Pale straw, clear at first but gets cloudy the deeper into the bottle you get. A gigantic fluffy white head.

S - Tart, spicy, sour cherry, faint base malt and a little bit of funk.

T - Sour but not over powering. Light and tart almost like a white wine but not as syrupy. Light fruit flavors, dry and crisp.

M - Very light body and high carbonation. Very drinkable. Very enjoyable and could easily be a good session beer.

O - I haven't had a ton of Berliner Weissbiers but I do like the style and this probably the best one I've had in the style.

09-13-2013 01:35:45 | More by Profchaos20
nycwinter

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a chalice.
A: misty pale orange. Look close to see the bubble party around the perimeter. Though I poured carefully, there are sediment parties as well.

S: slight frutiness with Brett wildness on the nose. Oh, did I forget to mention the sharp sourness.

T: sour. Need I say more? Yes I need. Earthy wild Brett yeast and bready wheat balance the sourness very well.

M: light and refreshing

O: great sessionability, though a little pricey. I would drink again.

09-30-2010 04:23:29 | More by nycwinter
Grohnke

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(BA / BJCP)

Cloudy pale yellow. Exploding white, creamy heads hold remarkably well. Effervescent.
(3.5 / 2)

Light grainy malt. Medium light lemon, and apple. Moderate lactic sourness. No hops.
(4.5 / 11)

Light grainy sweet malt. Moderately light citric fruitiness. Medium light lactic sourness begins the long dry finish and ends with a slight citric sweetness aftertaste. No hops. No alcohol.
(4.5 / 18)

Very light body, very high carbonation. Airy, fluffy, delicate mouthfeel. Effervescent.
(4 / 4)

Quite refreshing, pale, and subtly sour beer. Citric fruitiness adds some pleasant complexity. Soft lactic sourness adds a refreshing quality. Nothing over-the-top, nothing vastly complex -- and I am completely OK with that!
(4.5 / 9)

( 4.4 / 44)

07-11-2012 00:40:43 | More by Grohnke
dfitch81

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

I love beer, but every now and then I get into a kind of beer doldrums where nothing sounds good and I'm temporarily bored of all my usual favorites. When this happens, I find that the best way to cast off my beer blues is to find something new and different: 1809, in this particular case. I've wanted to try this brew for some time, but at $5.99 the price was usually enough to make think "I'll try it next time." Damn I'm glad I bit the bullet this time. Appearance is dramatic - I popped off the cap and a fountain of tart-smelling fizz burst out. Glad I had it over the sink... Poured into my hefeweizen glass, 1809 had a towering puffy white head which slowly dissipated to leave a constant layer of froth on the surface. The beer itself looks like liquid wheat and is impenetrably cloudy. The smell of wheat is unmistakeable, but I've never smelled a wheat-beer quite so sour as this. Taste is even more tart than the smell suggests - flavors akin to sour green apple, under-ripe nectarine and grape skin are dominant. The sourness, while extreme, is not in any way unpleasant (quite the opposite), which is good because the tartness lingers on your palate long after you swallow. Mouthfeel is prickly with tenacious carbonation, but otherwise a bit spritzery - could use some more body. Drinkability is good for the style, but this certainly isn't anything you'd want to drink all night. Still, I find it enjoyably different. 1809 is certainly a special beer, and although I wouldn't seek it out as a staple, I look forward to revisiting it.

12-10-2008 03:27:26 | More by dfitch81
BacklitAvenger

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - This is straw yellow. Pale in color with a bright white head that pops and fizzes and throws off a puff or two of foam and leaves copius lacing.

Smell - There's some lemon here for sure, this even smells tart. After my first experience with Duchesse du B I'm glad I do not detect acetic acids or funk. I will try in the future the sours I encounter to attempt to retrain and expand my palate, but as far as sours go this is rather good for me. Pure lacto, no brett, no acetic odor and flavor.

Taste - Inoffensive taste of light grains, with a large burst of juicy lemon and lactic tartness. This is a simple beer with a one-dimensional sort of flavor, but as a summer quencher it hits the mark perfectly. A tad bit sweet to my tastes, with a rather restrained maltiness. White grapes in the background, sourness, tartness, like ripe fruit. Reminds me of white wine or champagne in some way, not sure exactly what as they don't taste too much alike.

Mouthfeel - A spritzy carbonation level means that even a pour beyond gentle into geriatric territory brings forth a three finger head or so. The carbonation boueys up the lovely tartness.

Drinkability - High, especially in some hot weather, when the cold effervescence and tart flavors refresh to excess!

07-10-2009 01:23:18 | More by BacklitAvenger
quinnsi

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass

At first, and clear orange-golden color, with two solid fingers of rocky head. But the real story here is the ridiculously violent carbonation. It's truly at alka seltzer levels! I could watch this beer all night, and to be honest, it's one of the deciding factors when ordering. All of this changes once the sediment it poured in. The beer takes on a lemony-orange, hazy hue, and all carbonation goes away. One of the coolest visuals of any beer I've had.

The beer is somewhat aromatically challenged, with slight tart fruit and minerals coming through for me.

The beer tastes as carbonated as it looks, which actually works well with the tart, acidic citrus flavors. The wheat seems to provide a nice soft backdrop.

Very enjoyable beer, which drinks easy and is very thirst quenching on a warm day.

09-18-2009 04:22:04 | More by quinnsi
philberinghele

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

marching through Prussia
stopping for a refreshment
Napolean's beer

I have never had another Berliner Weisse so I have no basis for comparison but this beer is amazining. It pours a thick hazy golden body with a head that quickly thins out. The taste has a lactic bitterness, somewhat like good yogurt, with citrus presence as well. Apparently Napolean loved this shit.

05-31-2007 00:56:21 | More by philberinghele
mbrandon2w

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours hazy straw color. Lots of carbonation. Aroma is slightly sour, lemony/citrusy. Mouthfeel is spritzy, a bit like champagne. There's a pleasant tartness and nice citrusy flavor. A tad too sweet. It would be a nice refreshing beer on a hot day. Overall enjoyable

12-01-2007 00:46:20 | More by mbrandon2w
OldPenguinHunter

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought out a case of this at my local liquor store, god I love this stuff...
Pours with a vigorus head, fluffy and bright white, the aroma of tart stone fruit, yeast, fresh bread are very present and welcomed. The beer is very effervescent which knocks up the sediment in the bottle, no matter, just got to pour it well and slow. The taste is great, that's why the beer is great. I don't think this as being a traditional beliner weisse, but I don't really care, it's freaking good. To me it is more of a tart, blonde ale, there is a bit more meat on this beer than I normally expect from BWs, and it is welcomed, again. Mouthfeel is very prickly, but not prickly enough from gulping this beer down, it is just absolutley refreshing.

Overall, final summation: Buy and drink the Sh1t out of this beer when you can find it.

Cheers!

06-13-2012 02:19:14 | More by OldPenguinHunter
AshleyMiller

Vermont

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

thanks to ejeffer11 for this; poured into my stone snifter

a - pours a beyond opaque straw gold and this one's a bubbler! more than a three finger head that died after a few minutes, leaving no lacing whatsoever.

s - spicy german yeast, plenty of herbals in there as well

t - this one started colder than it should have and all i could taste was tart early on. as it warms an apply tart dominates. those with me thought it tasted watered down, which i only half bought into. the german yeast if very present throughout as well.

m - medium bodied with tons of carbonation, which i balanced the tartness nicely. a sipper for me.

o - this was my intro into berliner weissbiers, so i don't have a lot for comparison. but it was good as an after dinner beer to sip on while drinking. i definitely prefer lambiks and russian river sours in comparison, but it was great to try a german sour.

11-19-2011 04:18:51 | More by AshleyMiller
7ate9

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Cloudy gold color with a big bubble fluff head that dies to nothing and leaves no lace. fine.
Smells a bit farty sadly. Smells like wine that's been left on the lees for too long. Anaerobic decomposition stank. A bit eggy. Some h2s smellies? Or like a half jug of apple cider you forgot you had in the back of your fridge. Not entirely unpleasant but not so nice.
MMM taste is clean tart and refreshing with absolutely no hint at all of the stinksies in the nose. Not complex but so nice to quaff. Lemon and cider with a bit of wet grain on the swallow.
Carb is lively and inviting and it goes down nice a easy.
I wish that nose was a bit cleaner. I understand the process lends itself to that...but not all of 'em I've had have a stank. With my experience so far with this style I've liked the American versions much better than the german versions. This one is alright and nice to quaff.

05-13-2011 21:02:19 | More by 7ate9
JeffV

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a great gold color with some cloudy yeast floating around. It is clearer at the bottom than on top.

Smells great. A little soury. Kind of sweet.

This is amazing. Elegant and Refreshing. I wish I could have this by the keg for the summer time.

Very nice mouthfeel. Enough said.

The tartness might be a little much for a long session but this is a terrific beer and I'd like another.

02-22-2009 03:24:45 | More by JeffV
elinash

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an absolute perfect example of a berliner weisse. I can't imagine drinking it with syrup, though. It pours with little head, and it's a pale yellow with cloudy yeast. The aroma is slight lemon and light flowers with yeast. Mouthfeel is spritzy, the tartness of the taste changing the mouthfeel. Refreshing, light, and extremely quaffable. I'm glad the world's oldest brewery hasn't sold out.

08-21-2007 00:51:57 | More by elinash
Petrislav

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into pint glass

A: Vigorous bright white champagne bubble head, pale gold and hazy with sediment

S: Sweet, acidic like a sparkling wine, dry, fruity, many different smells and aromas, complex

T: Not as fruity or dry as champagne, has notes of grape/white fruit, tart

M: Tart, sweet and bubbly

04-30-2010 21:18:57 | More by Petrislav
scoots511

A: Pours a fizzy white head, bigger bubbles that disappear at a higher rate. Looks nice and clear, turned cloudy towards the end of the bottle when the yeast was stirred up a bit.

S: Lemon, sour some malt

T: Lemon, slight sour, slight acidic taste. I could still taste some of the tartness when I licked my lips.

M: Nice fizzynness reminiscent of a lower carbonated deus, etc

O: Light and lightly tart, refreshing concoction, it actually reminds me of my wifes prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) a bit. This was my first berliner weiss, it seemed nice I've rated it 4's across the board.

10-25-2011 02:02:27 | More by scoots511
Living816

Northwest Territories (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

A tasty beer, but one that seemed a bit absent. It had clear undertones of a hefeweizen beer, excepting some citrus and bright flavors independent of the sour, with obvious wheat and spice just to remind you of its origins from zee Germans.

As for the sourness, it just didn't come through. Present yes. But not in force. For something claiming to be this historical recipe by zee great doktor, lekturer and bier maker fritz briem, I thought it was a little flaccid.

Clearly above average in category and way above average in beers overall. But a lackluster turnout. It's a hefeweizen that has gone sour. Too much wheat character.

I'd give it an 83/100.

08-27-2012 03:21:19 | More by Living816
kiya

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

A great label design on this one...
Pours a golden yellow with a light head that disappears within a minute. The initial scent is that of a overripe pear with a strong barnyard and wet hay scent that seems quite strong for a Berliner Weisse.
The flavors are intense even when straight out of a fridge. There's crisp apples, hard cider, and a lot of lemon flavor. The lemon accent is extremely strong and goes very well with the more dark grassy scents coming off the top of this beer. Throughout the glass the beer continues to be heavily carbonated, giving it a very light feel. The balance is perfect on all levels, its crisp and clean yet has strong notes of a deeper beer on the nose.
One of the best BW styles i've had.

01-06-2013 02:44:53 | More by kiya
ausonius

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

500 ml bottle into a Riedel Vinum Bordeaux

My bottle - like all the other ones I've seen say Dr., not Professer, but whatever.

Murky yellow, straw, orange.
Big foamy Wheat Beer head. Settles in a few minutes. Not too much lacing with this foamy head.

Nose: Sweaty lactic sour with earthy key lime & some funk in the background. Violet, licorice, fresh semolina bread, & a hint of raw tangy, pungent honey.
Some complex yeasty Belgian-like creamy sweetness.
Miraculous & unique.

Palate: Big, full, round & grainy. Pungent/spicy ginger & beautiful grainy wheat. Hints at limestone minerality allied to blood orange/lime & wheat character. Vinous, & even Champagne-like, in an earthy, lactic way.
Pretty friggin' complex on the palate as well.

96 Points

One of the great, unique beers of the world.

Not sure if I can ever live without this one.

CHEERS!

12-21-2010 23:19:43 | More by ausonius
Reiksguard

Rhode Island

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Rated from a bottle conditioned 500ml poured into a pint glass (didn't have the appropriate glassware).

Poured a hazy light gold with a very deep head that dissipated rather quickly. The nose of the beer was mild at best - perhaps some buttery notes. The taste and mouthfeel were very good. I would classify it as a mildly sour beer with a good pale ale base. Minimal hop flavor.

Overall, a very good beer - something I would drink more than one of in a night.

03-05-2009 00:57:26 | More by Reiksguard
t8s8l8

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Look- A hazy golden yellow appearance. Nice smooth fluffy head that falls quickly and leaves a band of foam around the glass.

Aroma- slight acidic aroma, also present are fruits, pears and golden delicious apples, slight spiciness not necessarily clove like though, Brett seems to be current as well.

Taste- Real smooth it has that fruit bite from the acidic aroma that follows through in the taste especially in the middle. the mouthfeel is extremely light, not as dry as I was expecting, some what wheaty which i think is common. a champagne bubbly smoothness as well. the acidic character really plays nicely my mouth is still watering as I write this review.
Overall Experience- This was my first Berliner Weisse and i really enjoyed it. the aroma and taste was similar to a nice sour but the wheat character gave it a very summery kick. a mix of summer wheat with a sour would love to try some others of this style.

09-19-2011 21:56:47 | More by t8s8l8
gabemasiulis

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

A) This Berliner-Weisse is litght in color, quite murky, but still translucent, it had a decent size fine fizzy head, almost like a soda.
S) The aroma was sweet with a hint of a tart fruity taste, maybe kind of cherry-like.
T) This beer bites in dry, but rapidly swells to a sweet and wet lingering taste. The dark cherry sweetness lilts leaving the tartness at the bottom of the palate to linger.
M) This beer has a fair share of complexity to its feel. It starts dry, lingers wet, as if it were almost sticky, if it wasn't for the fizz dancing on the tongue.
D) The tart-sweetness, combined with the light fizziness strikes me like it would be a very nice summer celebration beer. It is tart, but very slightly, and leaves me wanting another.

05-08-2008 19:25:31 | More by gabemasiulis
gabeerfanswife

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Split a bottle with gabeerfan. I was anxious to try this as a different style of wheat beer I have not yet had. Its probably better closer to the source. I was a bit underwhelmed for all the hype.

A: No head at all. Looks more like wine or cider coming out of the bottle into the bulb glass. Also not cloudy either.

S: tart and wheaty; in line with the style

T: ehh...I am a big hefe fan and this took some getting used to. This is very fruity but is more like lemons and pears. No banana, no clove, no coriander. Really, it tasted a lot like pear cider to me; just dryer.

M: not much fizz at all.

D: I would like to try other brands in this style and would probably like this beer better closer to its source. Not sure I will be picking it up in the bottle again any time soon.

06-19-2008 00:49:39 | More by gabeerfanswife
stimy

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

I drank this at an "Art of Refermentation" beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver at the National Geographic.

These are my tasting notes:

This beer had a Lambic type aroma. The finish on the beer was tart. The mouthfeel was champagne like.

01-24-2008 17:38:29 | More by stimy