1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next › last »
Ratings: 961 | Reviews: 523 | Show All Ratings:
Drew966

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1809 pours an absolutely beautiful golden color with a white head from a brown 16.9 ounce bottle. It definitely smells like a German wheat beer, banana and clove are noticeable, as is a lactic acid type of smell. I definitely get banana and clove at the end of the flavor, the middle is all lactic acid and citric flavors and I like it. The sourness here is refreshing, like a sour glass of lemonade might be. I like the mouthfeel, it's very carbonated in a champagne like way. A really good beer.

07-22-2007 00:00:01 | More by Drew966
blitheringidiot

Bottle at Tria cafe in Philadelphia.

Pours a proper hazy hue berliner weisse. Light fruity scents that are pronounced with the green woodruff syrup. Light tartness and elegantly sour. Clean finish and refreshing all the way. At first I went light on the syrup, then I added a few spoonfuls towards the end of the 16 oz'er bottle. Overall a proper style that went back easily.

07-13-2007 01:39:35 | More by blitheringidiot
malcontent

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Brilliant clear gold body with a head that dissipates within a minute.

Sharp wheat scent accented by a tart lemon nose which finishes clove-spiked.

Everything in a standard weiss (wheat-y zing, lemon, yeasty) turned on its head with a bracing and refreshing sourness.

Thinner than I like from most beers and especially something in the weizen family. However, the mouth puckering finish is a big plus. When the weather is as hot as it is today in Chicago (95 and humid) something like this really hits the spot.

NOTE: I decided to concoct my own fruit syrup as I've heard such a mixture is added to Berliner Weiss' in their traditional setting. Using a mixture of blended peach and strawberry and a simple syrup strained through a mesh filter, I added the concoction to the beer. The appearance was dramatically improved upon by the resulting Champagne-esqe head with tremendous staying power. The taste was altered a good deal and was honestly (If I do say so) quite good but I wouldn't say better per se. It was simply different. If I were to choose, I would take the beer in its original form sans syrup and enjoy the sheer sourness and uniqueness of the experience.

07-10-2007 03:30:33 | More by malcontent
Grundle20

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance:
The beer pours pale straw yellow in color with a substantial haze, looks sort of like Orangina. A sizable rocky white head is quick to build but almost equally so to fall while leaving little lacing, probably the only draw back I would say is the wonky head retention on this beer.

Smell:
As is to be expected from Weihenstephan this beer smells great. There's a strong presence of bananas, lemon zest, sourdough bread, and a kick of nasty runners socks way in the back (love that funk!). There's some lesser notes of pepper and nutmeg but they are more apparent towards the end of the smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks light, crisp, and rather effervescently. Up front there's some dry wheat character partnered with a refreshing boost of sour lemon zest and a tinge of a switch of straw. The beer drinks a tad abruptly and finishes with a flavor that I could easily mistake for yellow Sour Patch Kids in a blind tasting. There's little aftertaste to note with an exception of about 3 seconds of funky wheat.

Drinkability:
This beer takes everything that is great about hefeweizen and makes it a tad more refreshing and crisp. It's hot and humid out and I couldn't be drinking a more satisfying beer.

Bottom Line:
My first dip in to this style and up until actually trying it I expected something more sour from what I've read. This is not the case, the beer is only mildly tart and it really only serves the beer well rather than being overwhelming like you might find in even domesticated lambic. Awesome beer.

07-05-2007 20:09:03 | More by Grundle20
ClockworkOrange

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 500ml brown bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a slightly cloudy golden yellow/orange color with about two fingers of white foam. Smells of crisp wheat as well as a mild sourness. Taste is refreshingly sour, almost addictive, making you crave another sip. Lemon and yeast are also present. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation that works perfectly with this beer. An excellent warm weather beer. Wish I would have bought more than one bottle.

07-03-2007 17:17:37 | More by ClockworkOrange
Georgiabeer

Georgia

Pours a cloudy straw color with a good initial head that fades fast. Smell is of hay, a slight lactic sourness, and a touch of grain. The flavor is surprisingly gentle. I was expecting and hoping for something a little more sour. The sourness is pleasant and quite yogurty, but I wanted something more brisk. In some ways this Berlinerweiss is more complicated than some others, and I like the taste, but I'm not sure or not if it is true to style.In any case, you won't be adding syrups to this one. Its also a little higher alcohol than most. Mouthfeel is creamy and delicious, but not as crisp as some. Drinkable if a bit different.

07-03-2007 00:44:31 | More by Georgiabeer
Atlas1

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

I first tried this beer at a National Geographic beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver, so I've had it before. But I didn't take good enough notes and kicked myself after the event when I didn't see the beer around town. Thank goodness it's back on the shelves in DC.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a decent white foamy head and lots of bubbles. Lots and lots and lots of bubbles. The new champagne of beers, anyone? The aroma is a lemony butter scent, or a buttery lemon scent, depending on how you want to look at it. Light and airy, it smells like a field of grass on a crisp spring day. Not overwhelming, but nice and to the point. Admittedly, I've never had a true Berliner Weisse in Germany (woe is I) but I truly love this style of beer. Kinda reminds me at times of the tart Flemish sour reds in the Belgian highlands. This definitely holds up. Tart and tangy, with a strong lemony/citrus zest, the 1809 packs a puckering punch and, in my opinion, is really really addictive. I could drink this beer all day (and perhaps all night). It's that good. Wonderful in the summertime especially. I can see why the Germans put flavored sweeteners in theirs, but I personally like this style just the way it is. Mouthfeel is crisp, but smooth, and finishes with dryness and a lingering tang. Gotta stock up on more of the 1809 for the rest of the summer.

07-03-2007 00:14:02 | More by Atlas1
Wildman

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color and formed a huge foamy white head that refused to go away but eventually did, coating the glass with latticed lace. A heavy amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, banana, clove and yeast. The flavor was of hops, citrus and clove. The body is light and the finish is tart. Similar to in some ways to a hefe, but definately different flavor.

07-02-2007 01:00:37 | More by Wildman
rhoadsrage

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy golden straw yellow body with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. The head is a big soapy white that fades quickly to a thin ring.

S- The crisp clean smell of wheat has a slight tart note to it but it is very clean.

T- The slight tart note has a hint of lemon and a light fresh wheat followed by a note of club soda. The finish is a light cider note with a hint of mead flavor.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a very dry finish.

D- This beer has a light tangy note but it is very filling. This beer is smooth but there is not much depth of flavor and the tartness is a bit too soft to keep in interesting.

06-22-2007 01:21:25 | More by rhoadsrage
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 pint 0.9 oz bottle served in a Kindl Weisse glass. I'm very happy to find a new (to me) Berliner Weisse. It pours a hazy straw color with a finger of head that falls to a patchy coat over the beer. Haze is prevalent and carbonation is rapidly escaping from solution. Just as expected. The nose is definitely in the realm of hefeweizen, with a banana/clove ester present along with a lemony citric tinge and a lactic acid sharpness. I really like the character brought to the style with the hefe characters. The flavor hits immediately with a lemony tartness and lactic bite that fades to a creamy banana and clove character, rounding out with a strong wheaty creamyness. Enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to moderate with a moderate carbonation. The acidic character leaves some stringy spit behind, making me want some water to go along with it. Overall, this one is very nice. This is a beer to sit and drink on a nice warm day...no syrup needed. The hefe base to it really adds a dimension to this one that I don't recall from other experiences with the style. I will be drinking this one again, and soon.

06-13-2007 01:53:34 | More by kmpitz2
mmcave

Slightly beat up bottle no freshness date
Chilled and poured aggressively into a nonic, pure white head rose and dissipated rapidly. The body is hazy blond with lighter milky tones around the edges (reminiscent of orange juice that has sat around and the majority of fruit separates from the water). Tiny bubbles are present and maintain subtle carbonation. Smells of yeast up front with notes of citrus, lemon, maybe even slight hint of green apple.
Taste is crisp and refreshing with a mild sourness not terribly dissimilar to sucking on a lemon, however more subdued. I get tiny hints of sour apple and lemon with those same yeast flavors, a generous acidity and tartness, which IMO is specific to lactic bacteria and differs from brett.
I also want to mention that label states that traditionally this style was mashed hopped and not boiled, which is extremely interesting.
Given this is my first experience tasting the style, but after reading it would seem that this is true to the style. Its also quite tasty, drinkable and refreshing. Although it really doesn’t require fruit syrup it would be interesting to taste the beer

06-06-2007 20:34:51 | More by mmcave
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Amazingly refreshing sour power. This is not for reveryone, beautiful creamy appearance with light yellow/beige body. All the foam cuddles the tart product in creaminess and malt. And all this at 5%
Commercial Description highlights:
It is bottle-conditioned, unfiltered and unpasteurized. "1809" will age beautifully in a dark and cool location. Its complex fruitiness and tartness will most likely develop in quite astonishing ways. “1809” is fermented in traditional open fermenters and horizontal lager tanks. The applied mashing regime is a single step decoction mash with 50 % wheat malt.The total amount of hops is added to the mash so that isomerisation takes place in the decocotion part of the mash. The wort is not boiled but only heated up to boiling temperature and then transferred to the open fermenters and pitched with yeast and lactic acid bacteria (isolated from malt) at 18 °C (64°F).

06-03-2007 04:18:01 | More by Sammy
Hautacam

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first of the style.
Pours out a beautiful cloudy gold with a big frothy head, which settles slowly with craters forming.
The smell is really nice...earthy yeast , a bit of citrus and funk.
The taste is excellent...starts barely sweet and wheaty ...quickly a sourness hits...not overpowering..just right ..acidic...there are some hints of banana way in the background and citrus rind bitter. It finishes smooth , doughy and sour , and leaves a dry , tart aftertaste.
I understand that the Germans sometimes add something fruity to flavor this , but I can't imagine messing with this wonderful beer.
Mouhtfeel is also very good...velvety microcarboation.
Very , very drinkable.
A little pricey , but probably worth it once in a while.

06-01-2007 23:31:33 | More by Hautacam
philberinghele

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

marching through Prussia
stopping for a refreshment
Napolean's beer

I have never had another Berliner Weisse so I have no basis for comparison but this beer is amazining. It pours a thick hazy golden body with a head that quickly thins out. The taste has a lactic bitterness, somewhat like good yogurt, with citrus presence as well. Apparently Napolean loved this shit.

05-31-2007 00:56:21 | More by philberinghele
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was $6.20 at Downtown Liquors in Boston, expensive, but Im glad I got a chance to try it.

Pours a hazy straw color with a wispy head that quickly turns to a thick ring and some patches. The carbonation is very active, creating whirlpools at the surface. Citrusy, wheaty, fruit estery, woody aromas fill the nose. Minimal sourness shows in the nose as well. Cidery acidity greets my tastebuds upon first sip. Tangy wheat malt, ginger, cloves, and orange flesh flavors all abound. Even some herbal hops make a showing. The mouthfeel is medium with a creamy subtle carbonation feel. The finish is tart and citrusy with a bit of lingering spice.

The balance between sourness and traditional weissbier flavors work really well. This is a fantastic beer, and If its representative of the style, I like this style. Its like a lambic without the funk.

05-29-2007 01:06:55 | More by CAMRAhardliner
bonbright7

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

I found this on a tip from another beer site and after I reported seeing it, I decided to try it out as a new one on me. It poured well into hazy golden orange cloud in my bodum insulated glass which produced the scents of hops and grapefruit.

My first taste through the generous head started with a light cream that went bitter and then stopped with a tart snappiness. It was interesting to try this as it could be good palate clearing light ale. One of the other reviewers noted the sour elements which I also came across as I drank this further.

As for its long term drinkability, I do not think this would be an all night kind of beer, but would be better suited to getting used to first.

05-21-2007 00:41:27 | More by bonbright7
kajerm

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle, with a lot of cool history lessons, but absolutely no indication Weihenstephan makes this stuff.

Pours opaque gold with a fine, quickly-dissipating head. When I say opaque, I mean opaque even for an unfiltered German wheat beer-- the only thing you can see through this glass is beer. About ten seconds later, there is not even a trace of a head. Weird.

The aroma is awesome-- typical banana custard esters with hints of mixed fruits and just a drop of funk. Based on other reviews, I was expecting this style to be heavy-handed and ridiculously ridiculously infected, but at least from the aroma, it's complex and enticing.

Opens up with yeast character and banana esters that quickly blow up into refreshing, mouth-puckering sourness, apple cider, and oranges. Lingering yeast and lactic acid sourness mingle to create a fantastic fruity finish.

The yeast gives this beer a nice medium body, but acidity rules the mouthfeel. It works.

This beer is light and refreshing; to me, at least, it's pretty damned drinkable.

I could see how this would be a really easy style to mess up, but this beer just nails it.

05-18-2007 00:01:03 | More by kajerm
BeerBelcher

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

In my opinion, if there were to be a pyramid hierarchy of beer flavors, sour would be at the top. I think sour takes the longest to acquire a taste for, and can be one of the most sublime. As such, I really liked this beer.

This beer poured a hazy gold/straw color with lots of fluffy head. Aroma was light clove and sourness. Flavor was also a blend of sour and cloviness. I felt this beer was less sour than Berliner Kindl Weiss. I had this beer with a meal, and I noticed a pleasing fruitiness as the beer warmed which was really a nice complement to my meal. Mouthfeel was soft and champagne-like. I really thought highly of this beer.

05-11-2007 13:28:10 | More by BeerBelcher
balconybrew

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

There's a reason that Weinhenstephan has been around for a thousand years...

The bier pours a light yellow, with a lemonade appearance. A bright white head climbs up the side and stays. The head settled slowly. The aroma is of lemons, bananas (mostly yeast) and wheat. I didnt smell any hops.

I taste what I smell, banana, wheat and lemon. After the bier rolls of my tounge I get a little hop bite and finishes with yeast and wheat.

The mouthfeel is good. Light and refereshing. A good lawnmower drink.

05-11-2007 00:02:47 | More by balconybrew
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great beer. I really didn't expect to like this after having hated the Berliner Kindl-Weisse so much, but this one is very different. Just a light tartness and still very refreshing.

The beer pours fairly clear at first, but after mixing in the sediment, it looks like a witbier. Very pale yellow, almost white with all of the light reflecting off the sediment. Has a nice lofty head with great retention and washy sheets of lacing. Unexpectedly very little apparent carbonation.

The smell is awesome. Just a light lactic tartness with a strong citrus twang. Quite lemony with a soft sweet wheat malt aroma and undertones of banana. Even more subtle hints of spice. Almost smells like a malt based lemonade, but in a good way (not like Lienie Summer Shandy, or something like that).

The taste is phenomenally refreshing. Up front, flavors of banana and wheat come in to play, but as it is forced down the palate a light tartness takes over. Great lemon zest flavor. The finish is very dry with no lingering aftertaste. Only a hint of spice, perhaps coriander. Very easy to drink. I may have to try this with a hit of syrup sometime.

The body is quite light and dry. The carbonation is so light it almost can't be felt on the palate. If it weren't for the lactic acid burn, this would seem almost flat. I am going to make this my new summer drinker, though I may have to take it easy at $5 a half liter.

05-04-2007 06:41:08 | More by neonbrown82
emerge077

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a light, cloudy, lemon yellow in to a Schwelmer Weizen glass. Lots of foam on the first pour, not as much when the yeast was poured in. Body is almost a pastel yellow against the orangy tendrils of yeast that slowly descend. Looks similar to a Witbier.

Odor is slightly musty, barnyard hay, and grain. I've had many Hefeweizens when they are past their prime, and this is reminiscent of that, unfortunately. Not offensive, but not entirely pleasant.

Taste redeems the lacking aroma. Nice citric lemony tartness up front, followed by a mellow wheaty finish. The tartness is unique to the style, and seems to enhance the drinkability.

Slight prickly quality to the carbonation, with a mild creaminess to the mouthfeel. A nice warm weather quaffer. The price is a little prohibitive though, at $5.49 per .5L.

Label notes: "Brewed with traditional mash hoping and without wort boiling. This along with a traditional strain of lactic acid bacteria provide a fruity and dry but palateful (sic) character."

05-03-2007 00:57:37 | More by emerge077
geexploitation

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a very light, slightly cloudy yellow with a tinge of gold. Delicate, perfectly white head that kicks up and stays put but leaves no lace. Big, pungent aroma of funky, sour citrus notes (lemon and grapefruit). Distinct lactic acid smell laid on top of a slightly grainy note. On the palate, soft fruit flavors come out first, but then things sharpen up with whip-crack acidity that starts light and then gains weight through the mid-palate. The mid-palate has a very metallic flavor to it, then gives off one final burst of sourness before fading into a surprisingly sticky finish. Wonderfully bold acidity and citrus flavors -- kind of like a good New Zealand sauvignon blanc. Light in body, lots of activity on the sides of my tongue, stiff carbonation. I don't have much experience at all with this style, but I'm really impressed with this beer. Great for summer time, great for summer foods, very distinctive and interesting.

04-21-2007 03:49:54 | More by geexploitation
MaltyGoodness

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

16.9oz bottle

Found this odd brew @ Shawn Liquors. No real brewery listed, only "brewed by Dr. Fritz Breim, Munich, Germany". A Google search found the impoter, B. United Intl's website that loosely indicates that this is a collaboration between Doemens Institue and Weihenstephan.

Pours a hazy pale straw colow with a fluffy white head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is bready and yeasty with a nice sour twang.

Taste is bready upfront immediatly washed over by a refreshing sourness and yeasty taste. Finishes quite clean with a mild fruitiness.

Light body, solid carbonation.

This was my first experience with this style, and quite a positive one. Delicious flavor and super drinkability. A bit pricey at $5 for 16.9oz, but well worth it for the experience. I hope to find this again, but I suspect that it's quite a rare find.

04-16-2007 23:27:14 | More by MaltyGoodness