Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

pDev: 10%
Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

Presticle, Feb 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

sharpski, Feb 15, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Huge white head of a couple inches. A cloudy yellow body with nice streams of rising carbonation.

S - A light malty and recognizably sour aroma.

T - It has the flavors that remind of watered down Gatorade from a high school football game. This is one of the most unique flavors I've ever had in a beer. Well done.

M - Light and airy. Much like champagne but even less heavy.

~ This is not something I could have on a regular basis. It seems like it would be a very interesting conversation piece if it were to be served at a social gathering. Not something I will seek out again.

cdkrenz, Feb 15, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

logicalparadox, Feb 12, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

Picked this up in Zanesville, being forewarned by my buddy that it was probably an older bottle; I hope it worked out in my favor. No bottle dating ugh...

A: Pours a transparent light honey-yellow color, crazy carbonation. This this thing's head blew up into a faygo style fizz mountain, quickly receding into a little bubble cap.

S: This isn't the aroma I would expect from this style, the main thing is a kinda old caramel malt aroma. Some bubblegum, lacto, aged hops, and malt. Along with caramel this really has a honey sweet aroma.

T: As soon as I drink this has a "I start off seeming tart so I'm gonna get super puckering" thing that never really comes to fruition. It has a a good wine tartness I get some apricot, white grape, an apple variety, and spicy wheat. I enjoy the white wine characteristics on the swallow, the wheat kinda washes them out on the finish a bit. There is a fair amount of oxidation to go around.

M: Fizzy in the mouth. Real slick and coating with a not-too-thin body. One of the highlights of the beer for sure.

O: I've loved the other representations of this style I've had before, so I had high hopes for this one. I'm pretty sure this was indeed an older bottle and this stuff doesn't hold up the best. I would feel bad about rating this lower but they can't bother bottle dating these. I'd have to pass next time, too big of a gamble when most of the other Euro brewers can manage to date.

Leaving it in the glass for a little bit seems to let this open up much better. Dry white wine really begins to take over.

schwaeh, Feb 11, 2012

Tasted On: 02-10-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 500 ml brown bottle
Glassware: Chalice
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green, KY

A: Color is bright golden and semi-clear. Tons of bubbles are in the glass. Huge, off-white head has very good retention and no lacing.

S: Sour and spicy aromas of lemons, oranges and green apples. Very strong and unique.

T: Zesty and tart, with a fruity lemon citrus taste. Quite unlike most beer, this one is neither malty or hoppy. Sour, spicy and a little salty as well.

M: Highly carbonated, with a clean and tangy mouthfeel. Finishes dry, with lemon and salt aftertastes.

O: Very different and excellent beer. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. I think this would be even better on a hot day in the summertime.

sommersb, Feb 11, 2012

JimmyTango, Feb 10, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A: The head is basically unmeasurable it's so huge. White and fluffy at 3++ fingers. It does quickly turn into just a thin layer though. Color is straw yellow and cloudy. That's to be expected with a wheat beer though. Nice lacing too.

S: Aroma is typical of hefeweizen... bubblegum and cloves. A very light tart related acid aroma too.

T: The first thing that strikes me is the sour acidic quality. Nice light tartness. After that the wheat comes through and there's a nice clove. Malts come out in a pleasant breadiness. Nice lemon as well. Also has a distinct sauvignon blanc flavor.

M: Body is light and effervescent. It perfectly goes with the rest of the beer.

O: Such a refreshing beer! Lightly tart, good carbonation and light body. A really delightful style and one I'd love to have much more of.

tony223366, Feb 07, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with little visible carbonation. The head is about two fingers high fluffy white head. Excellent head retention and quite a bit of lacing.

S: Aromas of funky sourness with hints of grapefruit, lemon, and apple. A very clean aroma.

T: The flavors are sour up front followed by citrus and grapefruit notes. There is a nice balance and complexity to the flavors. Quite refreshing.

M: Light bodied with a moderate to high amounts of carbonation. It could easily be described as fresh, crisp, and effervescent.

O: One of my favorite styles of beer, would have been interesting to sample this with the red and green syrups as well as on it's own like I did when I was in Berlin last fall. Very refreshing and very sessionable, easy to drink in the cold or in the heat. Would easily pair with lots of different foods.

dbrauneis, Feb 04, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

m26taylor, Feb 02, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Planning on brewing a berliner weisse so doing some homework. Poured in a large sniffter glass.

I have to say after looking at reviews on youtube that those people do not understand the style at all. Saying it is like bud light and lime is an insult. They say the french brought over the sour mashing technique as they traveled through Flanders, it shows!!

A-very clear pale yellow with a nice white fluffy head.

S-funky sourness, grapefruit, lemon juice, wheat, peach, apricot and on and on. Very clean.

T-starts with the sourness of a ruby red grapefruit with lemon and some grass. Wheat smooths this one out nicely and adds some body. Flavors of peach come out too similiar to a Fou Foune.

M-very light and refreshing. I am brewing this to be enjoyed in the heat of summer. Can't wait!!

danedelman, Feb 02, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 01, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

App: Light yellow straw color, cloudy. Fair amount of floaties despite a gentle pour. Fluffy white head, good retention and lace.

Smell: Mild lemon tartness, very clean aroma, not particularly strong however.

Taste: Tart and lemony, crisp and refreshing. Lightly sour but certainly nothing too strong. Mildly lactic, hints of green apple, sauvignon blanc.

Mf: Crisp and clean. Thinnish body with good carbonation. Super easy to drink, pairs well with food.

Overall: Delicious, quenching, refreshing. One of my favorites of one of my favorite styles; wish more breweries were doing a Berliner weiss. Hopefully they will be soon, 1809 is fantastic.

tobelerone, Jan 31, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 29, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +8%

A-hazy straw color with a forger of head at the start. Quickly dissipates.

S-strong notes of tart/sour citrus with some wheat and a hint of earthy hops... Very enjoyable.

T-tart up front with citrus favors followed by some wheat and other fruity notes to finish out... Very nice balance and complexity.

M-slightly overcarbed... And the only reason I say this is because I want the flavor to last longer

O-a great take on a sour beer... Has definitely become one of my staples (whenever I can find one)

csiewert, Jan 28, 2012

grownfool, Jan 27, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

A - This look okay, nothing special. Cloudy golden yellow with a foamy head that dissaptes shortly after pour. The bottle gushed a bit, but I was clumsy with it. I think it's more my fault. Anyways, lacing is nil, but whatever.

S - Smell is better. It's been out of the fridge for about ~25 minutes so the esters are really popping out. Cracked wheat, tons of yeast. It's very yeasty, floral, with lactic/citric... almost cider notes. More floral than bananas, but a nice melange of yeasty goodness.

T - First and most noticeable is the lactic acidity that bathes your tongue initially. It's very tart, but not overly so, and also not dry... I'm normally used to my sours being aged in oak. This is a new and welcomed taste for me. On the back end is a light sweetness, and all of those floral and sweet fruity esters I mentioned earlier in the smell. The yeast is the star here.

M - Sparkly, crisp, light, effervescent. Very nice.

O - So, it's been that long since I've been here that Drinkability now starts with an O. But yeah, this is a delicious, stand out beer, that deserves a place in every serious beer-drinkers fridge. It's challenging to dissect, but also a pleasure to drink.

SaucyA, Jan 25, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale yellow in color, slightly hazy with fluffy white head that subsides to a thin cover. There is a nice, constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. As I started pouring the room filled with the wonderful aroma. Reminds me of sour candy. Not too sour. Just some playful tartness. Lemon with a touch of sweetness. I've enjoyed aroma and was afraid that the taste will let me down. Not so. Lightly tart, but followed by some sweetness. Not overpowering at all. In fact, it's quite light. Very drinkable - the first sip was quickly followed by the second and then a few more before I realized that I need to continue with this review. Pleasant mouthfeel. I'm enjoying it in the middle of January, but it would probably taste even better on a warm summer evening.

Berliner Weissbier is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately it is all too rare. So when I was picking up a few bottles for a friend, I couldn't resist grabbing this bottle as soon as I noticed it for myself. I was a little put off by 5% ABV (seemed a bit high), but now I'm glad I picked up a bottle.

ikats, Jan 24, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +8%

Pours a large fizzy whit head. Fades to nothing. Color is a hazed pale yellow.

Aroma: a sour wheat. Funky old cheeder. A little bit of spice. Smells old. Smells light.

Taste: lemon citrus and old funk. Wheat and spices. A little bit of green apple tartness. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel: crisp with a little tartness. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends very clean.

Overall, this was a great Berliner. Easy drinking with a nice amount of sour. I could easily drink a lot of this on a hot summer day. Amazing!

mothman, Jan 22, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Kahlerbock, Jan 18, 2012

beerhorn12, Jan 18, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a clear, golden straw color with a large white head that diminishes quickly. Scent is initially sharp and acidic with a bit of musty, damp cellar-like aroma. A bit grainy with some tart, yeasty aromas. Apples, white grapes, and hay. Nice, complex aroma. Taste is just slightly astringent with lovely green apple and grape flavors...somewhat champagne-like. Perfect amount of tartness for this style...puts Festina Peche to shame. Up there with Hottenroth. A bit of clove and banana with wheat and grain. Mouthfeel is nice and light with a crisp, refreshing finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, not typically the right weather to be drinking such a beer, but DAMN this would be PERFECT on a hot summer day. Outstanding beer.

DovaliHops, Jan 18, 2012

KAF, Jan 17, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my lost abbey stem glass.
A: Pours a massive head that dissipates quickly, (20 seconds to bubble down). Straw yellow color that’s murky throughout.
S: Barnhouse funk, lemons and sourness, with some grape and orange notes. Smells amazing.
T: Sour and carbonated upfront with some funk and a slight lemon taste on the end with the traditional European taste that (to me) separates American beer from European styles. Kinda musty.
M: Carbonation and lemon that pull away from the funk.
O: Really good example of the style. It’s no limbic but it’s really tasty and certainly the best example of the style I’ve had (and one of the most affordable and price appropriate). A

codysjb, Jan 17, 2012