2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 968 | Reviews: 524 | Show All Ratings:
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into pint glass.

A- Slightly hazy yellow pour with a short lived finger width white head. Lacing is minimal.

S- Apple juice, lemons, lemon skin, grape skins and a touch of white wine. There is a nice sweetness I haven't experienced with any other Berliners I've had.

T- Apple juice, apple cider, lemon juice, lemon skin, grapes and a touch of white wine. Very refreshing, very tart and all around just fantastic!

M- Light bodied, excellent carbonation, cheek tingling tart.

O- This is beyond any Berliner I've come across. This is just magnificent in all aspects.

05-09-2012 23:52:13 | More by korguy123
ccrida

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

500ml bottle that I've cellared for about a year. Poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, 1809 is chill hazed pale gold with a large white head that leaves light lace.

Smell is a bit of sour wheat, light sweetness and a hint lemon.

Taste is very nice, clean wheat flavor, light tartness from the acidity, quinine like mineral finish. Very similar to a fine saison, by far the best berliner weiss I've ever had, and also the only one I've had that is from Germany.

Mouthfeel is light and lively, dry, very nice, fine spritz.

Drinkability is high, this is an excellent beer. I love it.

07-19-2009 22:07:45 | More by ccrida
krisandajt

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up some of these while visiting family down in Baltimore. Just getting into the style, here it goes...

Poured from a bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

Appearance: Wow, quite the carbonation in this bad boy. Heaps of bubbles are shooting up from the bottom of the glass rising to meet at least two inches worth of bone white, thick, bubbly head. The retention is some of the best I've ever seen, though there's not much lacing which I find surprising. There's also a bit of cloudiness to this light golden colored brew.

Smell: There's a nice tartness to this beer, kind of gives the smell a bit of bite. There's some nice wheat beer characteristics coming through too, a slight yeasty grassy kind of smell. Smells quite refreshing.

Taste: A refreshing mix of lemon citrus and tart blended perfectly with the thirst quenching qualities of a wheat beer. Crisp, smooth, nice. This is a damn good beer.

Mouthfeel: A nice light to medium body with enough carbonation to make the beer tingle on the tongue. Outstanding.

Drinkability: It's the first 70+ degree day I've seen this year, and I can't think of a better beer to drink on this beautiful day. Very refreshing, tasty, and a reasonable and sessionable ABV. I highly recommend picking this one up if you get the chance...I know I will the next time I see it.

04-02-2010 22:14:00 | More by krisandajt
Immortale25

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Green Flash snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium gold color with a huge two-finger crown that retains good and long before arriving at a 1/4 inch. Sudsy, billowy lacing.

S- Wonderfully funky wild yeast smell with a crisp citrus undercurrent. Possibly some lactic acid aroma. Short whiff of tropical candy.

T- Quick punch of yeast and citrus that transforms into a tart lemon aftertaste. Definitely some lactic acid present as this can officially be classified a "sour" beer. It all works well together though and doesn't deter one from taking multiple sips. A little soapy.

M- High carbonation and a very soft, fluffy feel. Some pucker at the end.

O- So this is what a real Berliner Weisse should taste like. I like it much better than DFH's "neo" berliner weisse, Festina Peche.

05-02-2012 01:48:38 | More by Immortale25
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great beer. I really didn't expect to like this after having hated the Berliner Kindl-Weisse so much, but this one is very different. Just a light tartness and still very refreshing.

The beer pours fairly clear at first, but after mixing in the sediment, it looks like a witbier. Very pale yellow, almost white with all of the light reflecting off the sediment. Has a nice lofty head with great retention and washy sheets of lacing. Unexpectedly very little apparent carbonation.

The smell is awesome. Just a light lactic tartness with a strong citrus twang. Quite lemony with a soft sweet wheat malt aroma and undertones of banana. Even more subtle hints of spice. Almost smells like a malt based lemonade, but in a good way (not like Lienie Summer Shandy, or something like that).

The taste is phenomenally refreshing. Up front, flavors of banana and wheat come in to play, but as it is forced down the palate a light tartness takes over. Great lemon zest flavor. The finish is very dry with no lingering aftertaste. Only a hint of spice, perhaps coriander. Very easy to drink. I may have to try this with a hit of syrup sometime.

The body is quite light and dry. The carbonation is so light it almost can't be felt on the palate. If it weren't for the lactic acid burn, this would seem almost flat. I am going to make this my new summer drinker, though I may have to take it easy at $5 a half liter.

05-04-2007 06:41:08 | More by neonbrown82
twiggamortis420

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Very cloudy golden color. Has a pretty thick foamy head, but it fades rapidly.

Smells like baked pears with honey glaze. I also get some red wine-like tannins, sour white grapes and lemon zest.

WOW! This bad boy is sour...and delicious. Starts sour and citrusy and finished acidic and dry. I think I can even taste a bit of floral hops and some of the wheat crispness.

For sour beer lovers, this is a must try. If I can find this again, it will most definitely make its way into my shopping cart!

09-28-2008 04:38:45 | More by twiggamortis420
gdfan47

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

A- pours a nice light yellow with no head or lacing... remarkable
S- yeast, a tart sugar smell, wheat, very inviting
T- very tart and refreshing,very easy to drink but complex at the same time, some hints of wheat and sugar but not very sweet
M- really really carbonated, refreshing, its so hard to believe its so carbonated cause it looks so flat... sneaky sneaky
D- this beer is 5 percent, awesome... give me this one all day

03-16-2009 06:11:07 | More by gdfan47
Adamdc

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A: cloudy, yellow pour with thick, white 1 inch head. I left the large clump of sediment in the bottle.

S: Amazing! The wheat and the lacto blend nicely in the nose. There's some lemon, grass and banana also.

T: Once again I'm really liking the wheat and the sour together. The lemon and banana are there also.

M: Nice and crisp! It's so refreshing and perfect on a summer day.

D: Very, very high! This beer really took me by surprise. I had no idea that the Germans messed with lacto. This was the perfect blend of wheat and lacto (that's the 3rd time I said that). I can't wait to find more beers in this style. This would be a great intro to sours!

08-22-2010 21:48:27 | More by Adamdc
Brad007

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

It's not often that you see an example of this style in stores. The only example I've tried comes from Dogfish Head.

Regardless, pours a beautiful bright yellow color with a thin-head into my glass. Love the color, even if others would find it average.

Tart with citrus and cherry in the nose. A huge whiff of wheat in the aroma as well.

Ditto for the taste. Tart with cherry and light citrus notes. Cloves and wheat make up the rest of the taste.

Lingering citrus, cherry and tartness followed by a hint of clove. Very interesting.

Wow, now this is to the style! I didn't know what to expect but I have to rate this high for drinkability, etc.

04-25-2011 03:32:53 | More by Brad007
kmpitz2

Tennessee

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 pint 0.9 oz bottle served in a Kindl Weisse glass. I'm very happy to find a new (to me) Berliner Weisse. It pours a hazy straw color with a finger of head that falls to a patchy coat over the beer. Haze is prevalent and carbonation is rapidly escaping from solution. Just as expected. The nose is definitely in the realm of hefeweizen, with a banana/clove ester present along with a lemony citric tinge and a lactic acid sharpness. I really like the character brought to the style with the hefe characters. The flavor hits immediately with a lemony tartness and lactic bite that fades to a creamy banana and clove character, rounding out with a strong wheaty creamyness. Enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to moderate with a moderate carbonation. The acidic character leaves some stringy spit behind, making me want some water to go along with it. Overall, this one is very nice. This is a beer to sit and drink on a nice warm day...no syrup needed. The hefe base to it really adds a dimension to this one that I don't recall from other experiences with the style. I will be drinking this one again, and soon.

06-13-2007 01:53:34 | More by kmpitz2
NolanGTI

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Truly a barometer for the style. Pours with a huge densley carbonated white head (4 fingers?) that doesn't stick around too long unfortunately, but is true to style. This hazy blonde fills out a Weiss glass in style.

The nose on this beer is truly a pleaser. Tropical fruit and yeastiness explode from the glass.

The beer does not disappoint on impact. This takes the traditional Weiss style and adds a kick of sour-fruity tartness (think lactic acid). The tight carbonation adds to the flavor profile and gives this beer a very refreshing quality. Truly a great summer beer.

06-23-2008 13:15:04 | More by NolanGTI
JeffV

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a great gold color with some cloudy yeast floating around. It is clearer at the bottom than on top.

Smells great. A little soury. Kind of sweet.

This is amazing. Elegant and Refreshing. I wish I could have this by the keg for the summer time.

Very nice mouthfeel. Enough said.

The tartness might be a little much for a long session but this is a terrific beer and I'd like another.

02-22-2009 03:24:45 | More by JeffV
rye726

Colorado

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy, yellow straw with an active white head that settles to a thin cover.

Nose has wheaty malts, tart citrus, manure, horse blanket and musty farmyard hay.

Taste not as sour as I would like, but does have a nice lactic tartness. Wheat, tropical fruits, cloves and barnyard funk round this one out.

Crisp, clean body is well carbonated. Quite easy to drink despite being a bit strong for the style.

04-26-2010 04:50:56 | More by rye726
nickfl

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Pours with a decent sized head of loose, white foam that settles rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is a slightly hazy, deep gold color.

S - Light malt and wheat with a yeasty intensity and some spicy lactic acid.

T - Tangy wheat and some sweet, bready malt up front with a surprisingly light note of lactic acid. The malt intensifies in the middle with notes of honey and some fruity pear character that may or may not be yeast derived. The beer finishes with more malt and some creamy wheat flavor as well as moderate tartness and some lemon zest.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - This is a shockingly drinkable beer. I expected intense sourness that would overshadow all other flavors, but the acidity is actually quite restrained and while the flavor profile is simple, it is very well managed. The intense carbonation helps to bring out the subtle flavor of the wheat and some notes of lemon and pear. The acidity is restrained and just strong enough to set off the other flavors and it makes for a perfectly refreshing, tart finish. I am really blow away by this beer, it is easily the best Berliner Weisse that I have ever tasted and it is definitely worth seeking out.

10-14-2010 06:18:58 | More by nickfl
biggmike

Mississippi

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pour a lemony, yellow color that was topped off with a white fluffy head that dissipated rather slowly. Very cloudy and full of yeast. Nice citrusy aroma. Citrusly, clean, crisp taste. I could drink a lot of these on a hot summer day as drinkability is extremely high.

11-29-2010 21:44:26 | More by biggmike
flagmantho

Washington

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 500mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: beautiful, slightly hazy silver-gold body with almost 2 fingers of frothy white foam. Lots of apparent effervescence in the body. A great looking beer.

Smell: light malt aroma with some green apples and a light pear character; the tartness is present but not overwhelming and there's a chalky back-aroma which is entirely welcome. I can very much dig it.

Taste: tart right up front but dies quickly to a rich malt flavor with some more of that chalky pear and then finishing with just a hint of grain. Really fabulous -- I had been looking forward to trying this beer and it is more than living up to my expectations.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a huge carbonation and concomitant creaminess. It works absolutely beautifully.

Overall: each of the elements in this beer work seamlessly to produce a wonderful, wonderful beer. I know the Germans like to doll this stuff up with raspberry or woodruff, but I can't imagine doing that -- this stuff is awesome as-is.

I'm finding as I get further into the glass that its drinkability is just amazing. What a wonderful beer.

08-09-2011 04:03:23 | More by flagmantho
OldPenguinHunter

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought out a case of this at my local liquor store, god I love this stuff...
Pours with a vigorus head, fluffy and bright white, the aroma of tart stone fruit, yeast, fresh bread are very present and welcomed. The beer is very effervescent which knocks up the sediment in the bottle, no matter, just got to pour it well and slow. The taste is great, that's why the beer is great. I don't think this as being a traditional beliner weisse, but I don't really care, it's freaking good. To me it is more of a tart, blonde ale, there is a bit more meat on this beer than I normally expect from BWs, and it is welcomed, again. Mouthfeel is very prickly, but not prickly enough from gulping this beer down, it is just absolutley refreshing.

Overall, final summation: Buy and drink the Sh1t out of this beer when you can find it.

Cheers!

06-13-2012 02:19:14 | More by OldPenguinHunter
notchucknorris

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a super cloudy pale golden color with some hints of orange. A huge rocky head forms on the pour and tons of carbonation is visible in the glass. Amazing.

S: Great sourness/funk right away with some notes of tart green apple and lemon, maybe some unripe kiwi. A hint of cedar in the back.

T: The flavor opens gradually and moves towards a medium lactic/lemony twang. Some green apple, light funk and wheat on the finish. Probably the best I've had of this style.

07-19-2012 18:22:53 | More by notchucknorris
gleemonger

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Very pale yellow and fizzy - looks very much like a cheapo adjunct. Frothy white head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing, but leaves a small head throughout.

Sour lemon and apples, some earthiness, yeasty banana. Very refreshing smelling.

Very interesting flavors here. Similar to the nose, I'm picking up the sour lemony apple flavors with a bit of an earthy, barnyard hop taste. Also getting a backbone of a weizen taste of banana and clove yeastiness. Super tasty and refreshing, very unique.

Crisp, highly carbonated but not too frothy (like an adjunct), thin.

This is my first of the style, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but got it because I've been wanting to try one and because of the good reviews. Definitely not disappointed, and would love to seek more of these out (and I've seen some random ones popping up at domestic breweries). I just really appreciate all the flavors that come through in this, despite the sour twang, which sometimes tends to overpower for me.

10-10-2012 01:56:07 | More by gleemonger
Brenden

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

It's taken a long time to review, but I've really been studying this style deeply to understand it as my first try so I could properly review it.

This is an extremely pale yellow, just a bit deeper than a good Kolsch but lighter than most macros in color. I expect this for the style. It's also extremely cloudy, as expected. The head doesn't last particularly long but what light, fluffy crown does sit on top doesn't dissipate all that quickly, either. A light touch of thick, white lacing is left in strands.
The aroma is tart and lightly citric, much like a good white white, with a strong note of earthy mustiness to it. There's also a dry malts adding a touch of breads and some wheat underlying. This is nearly perfect or the style and surprisingly potent.
The aroma follows suit, and the strong tart, sour flavors lead the way as they ought to. This beer is reminiscent of the green apple flavors of white wine with wheat and plenty of crackery malts underneath. This one is earthy without getting the grassy / herbal quality of a pils, and hops presence is appropriately light.
With a surprisingly rich mouthfeel proving that light-bodied and weak are not synonymous, this one goes down very nicely, particularly given the crispness that's in every sip.
This is spectacularly drinkable, and anyone looking for light, tart and gently sour and for a pinnacle of this style should reach for this one. Of course, I haven't tried any other Berliner Weissbiers, but I imagine this beer will be extremely difficult to match.

01-18-2011 22:56:49 | More by Brenden
tapman

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Body is a soft, light orange-yellow that is so full of delicious beasties that no light escapes through its opaqueness. The carbonation is so intense, though the head is still pretty manageable, that you can hear the bubbles popping like microscopic bubble wrap. I have never seen a beer act this way before.

Apples, sour cream, grapefruit zest make the aroma for me.

Traditional lactic sourness with a somewhat light toast flavor (very light, but definitely in the finish). Tastes like a really dry cider mixed with cream cheese.

Bright, crisp, dry and refreshing.

It's hard not to give this one good marks since A) it sticks pretty closely to the traditional recipe and brewing process and B) for most of us this is probably our first Berliner Weiss. These B.W.s aren't exactly clogging the shelves, but I much prefer this one to many sour beers I have been trying lately and find it quite enjoyable.

03-19-2011 03:42:08 | More by tapman
Sachsenfreude

Germany

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

appearance; depending on how one likes to pour, either a crystal clear, bright yellow or a cloudy, milky, yellow, packed with lots of thick chunks of sediment. A very fizzy white, that quickly dissipates to nothing. No lacing, very true to the style.

smell; tart, sour, acidic, wrapped in a blanket of milk whey. Lemons for sure, yet not from the hops.

taste; Upfront, lots of lemons and apple cider vinegar flavors. As the tart and sour flavors try to take control, lactic dairy flavors combat them to neutralize the acidity. The aftertaste is that of spicy wheat and lactic acid, mellowed out in bready yeastyness.

mouthfeel; very fizzy and refreshingly crisp. Puckers the mouth a bit after a slimy and sticky finish.

overall; Last time I visited Berlin, I liked the selections from Berliner Kindl and Schultheiss, but this one stands out to me above the others. A perfect beer for a sunny spring day in the states or a sunny summer day in Germany. Highly reccomended for anyone, who can appreciate a sour beer.

03-22-2011 17:35:55 | More by Sachsenfreude
CJStout

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Upon asking clerk for a style that is somewhat out of the ordinary with a distinct flavor this beer was recommended. In short - great call.

Smell: Muted, fresh, appropriate for style.
Taste: Like a tart, sour (tastefully) Jolly Rancher German wheat beer.
Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, quenching.
Drinkability: Off the charts - would drink plenty (if I could afford it!!!)

Overall: Fantastic, refreshing beer! It scratches that summertime itch...

07-18-2009 23:15:01 | More by CJStout
gueuzer

Colorado

Poured from bottle into Westy Chalice

App- Golden, cloudy with no head.

Sm- Very astringent. Green apples and pineapple.

Ta- Lots of delicious lactic balanced by a good full wheatiness. Fruits from the yeast play with the acid in there: pineapple, apricot and grapefruit.

MF- Very light carbonation which allows everything else to show off. Good wheaty mouth feel.

Dr- Awesome. Could drink all day.

Stellar brew. Total treat. Wish it was easier to get. I can't imagine a better beer to use as an introduction to sours. I really liked Dogfish Festina Peche and this puts it to shame.

09-02-2010 03:47:51 | More by gueuzer
ikats

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale yellow in color, slightly hazy with fluffy white head that subsides to a thin cover. There is a nice, constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. As I started pouring the room filled with the wonderful aroma. Reminds me of sour candy. Not too sour. Just some playful tartness. Lemon with a touch of sweetness. I've enjoyed aroma and was afraid that the taste will let me down. Not so. Lightly tart, but followed by some sweetness. Not overpowering at all. In fact, it's quite light. Very drinkable - the first sip was quickly followed by the second and then a few more before I realized that I need to continue with this review. Pleasant mouthfeel. I'm enjoying it in the middle of January, but it would probably taste even better on a warm summer evening.

Berliner Weissbier is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately it is all too rare. So when I was picking up a few bottles for a friend, I couldn't resist grabbing this bottle as soon as I noticed it for myself. I was a little put off by 5% ABV (seemed a bit high), but now I'm glad I picked up a bottle.

01-24-2012 03:27:26 | More by ikats