Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

Serving Type: Pilsner glass

Appearance: Bubbles float to the top very fast, champagne like. The head quickly disintegrates from the bubbles. Rich golden color. Has a thin viscosity.

Smell: Cider like, citrus, pear, green apple

Taste: Tart, refreshing, a little watery. I taste pear and almonds. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent , the bubbles tingle my tongue a little more than I would like a beer to. The beer feels a little too thin, watery in my mouth.

Overall: I like it. Drinkability is the biggest factor, I can drink this with or without food. A no fuss, refreshing beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

A - Pale straw yellow with tons of fluffy white head.

S - Hay, malt, and lemon peel.

T - Dry, some faint malt, dominated by a bitter lemon flavor and mouth-puckering sourness. Slightly peppery at the finish.

M - Insane carbonation, like a champagne.

O - A great beer for a light meal or on a hot day.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy honey yellow with thin white head. Smells of apricot, Belgian yeast and dried fruits. Sweet orange, chardonnay and wheat. Nice effervescence and chardonnay aftertaste. Medium light body goes nicely with the style.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - A very pale yellow with a lingering finger of white, frothy head.

S - Smells strongly of yeast/wheat, green apples, and white grapes.

T - This one is only mildly tart. Reminds me of a tart lager.

M - Medium-light body; not very carbonated.

O - A good beer but not one worth hunting down. I prefer the American BW's which seem to be a bit more tart.

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse | 500 ml. | 5.0% ABV | 2011

Brewer: Professor Fritz Briem
Style: Berliner Weissbier
Glass: Duvel tulip

Appearance:
Murky pale straw-colored body, with a spasmodic head, at first bursting with big bubbles and then fizzling out. Next to no lacing. This is apparently on par or better for the style.

Aroma:
Eww... it smells like wet socks and stagnant piss, or maybe the socks are wet because of the piss; either way this is an arresting smell that makes my nose crinkle. I'll be slightly more scientific about it: there's citrus (lemon and white grapefruit) in the background, and pungent malt and a tangy white wine aroma in the foreground. Not pleasant at first, though it settles down.

Taste:
Very tangy, citrusy, acidic and sour from the first sip. This will take some getting used to… OK, I've adjusted to it a bit. The tart flavor carries throughout the experience, though the finish is quick and clean, leaving behind a puckering astringency and lingering sourness on the tongue. With some more sipping, the grains become much more apparent (wheat and maybe barley), which pleases me. Those tart white grapes from the aroma come back in the aftertaste, leaving a sour, lactose-coated (from the lactobacillus culture?) film in the mouth for quite some time.

Mouthfeel:
Prickly and highly carbonated while evidencing a sort of velvety softness as the liquid rolls off my tongue. Light-bodied.

Harmony:
This is a beer (and style) that grew on me while I was drinking it. At first the tartness and astringency provided a taste and texture I don't really like. But there was more to this brew then first met the tongue. In the end, I feel it is quite well balanced for the style, though next time I'll have it with food to balance out the sourness.

Would I get it again?:
Yes… but not as a regular beer. I would recommend it to someone who wants to try a Berliner Weissbier, and I might have it for a German-themed bierfest; just not on a regular basis.

Bottled: ?
Served: May 8, 2011

Price = $5.99 at Whole Foods (NYC)

Additional notes:
I did not like the smell at all. It seemed to me to be just that, a smell not a pleasing aroma. That said, if I find it to be typical of the style, I will have to change my score to reflect a middle ground between my personal aversion and what is to be expected. That would likely shift my score from a B+ to an A-.

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Pours a clear gold with a fizzy white mousse that disappears within seconds. Carbonation is obviously very active.

S: Tart and lactic on the nose with plenty of yeasty funk. A mild, grassy hop aroma is present in the background once the beer settles a bit. I wouldn't call this the most complex smelling beer in the world, but perhaps that is just a trait of this style.

T: Notes of minerals, sherry, champagne, lemon zest, herbs, grass, and honey are all over the palate. To be honest, I didn't detect much in the way of a wheat flavor. The finish is crisp and clipped with mineral, champagne, and grass flavors.

M: Light bodied, dry, and extremely spritzy. It feels a bit like champagne.

O: I'm not all that familiar with Berliner Weisse as a style, but I would venture to say that this is a solid example of what a traditional Berliner Weisse is supposed to be. I enjoyed the elegant character of this ale, but I'm not sure that I would be all that keen on revisiting this one until I've tried some other Berliner Weissbiers. All in all, this is a pretty decent beer.

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%

Fizzy overflow upon popping the cap. Big ol’ white head sits atop a liberally carbonated hazy yellow body: hard to fault the appearance of this one – stunning in a curvy hefe glass with a an even pancake of a head that sticks around for the long haul. Has the musty sort of lactic aroma associated with many wheat/Belgian styles; it’s citric, and there’s an aromatic sandalwood type smell. The carbonation jolts my throat – flavor is subtle but refreshing: light bodied, lemony, tart, and dry. Nice.

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16.9oz bottle poured into Samuel Smith pint glass

no visible dating on the bottle. however, this just came into the store I work at today and last week when we ordered it, it was out of stock. so I’m guessing this just recently arrived from across the pond and is as fresh as one can reasonably expect of a European beer.

A: (4)golden yellow, quite hazy. active carbonation. 3 finger bright white head that dissipated quickly leaving some but not much lacing.

S: (3.5) big yeast aromas, kind of Belgian-y. some coriander and citrus aroma too.

T: (3.75) a bit sour/tart, but not as much as I expected. the sourness more compliments the other flavors (which are reminiscent of a wheat beer) rather than overpowering them. some banana and lime flavors followed by a cleansing tartness. aftertaste is minimal, slightly sour.

M: (3.75) light, refreshing, tart. slightly below medium carbonation.

O: (3.75) a nice and refreshing beer for the summer months. kind of reminds me of a belgian wheat beer, but the added sourness/tartness makes it something different and quite a bit better in my opinion. a bit pricey at $6/16.9oz bottle, but something I’ll probably come back to one or two more times before the hot weather subsides.

3.69/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a tulip

A: This pours a clear, very light golden color with three fingers of head even with a very delicate pour.

S: A moderately strong lactic aroma dominates with lemon zest and light to moderate wheat in the background. I get a fruity guava aroma, too. Fairly strong aroma for a Berliner Weisse.

T: A strong tart flavor starts out, similar to granny smith apples. Not overly acidic, though. I get a good amount of wheat flavor as well, more than I'm used to for a Berliner Weisse.

M: Medium thickness, actually fairly thick for the style with very strong carbonation.

O: A bit thick and wheaty for a Berliner Weisse, but still quite nice.

3.69/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow body with a thick white head.

Smell: Aroma of sour wheat and tart lemon with a noticeable DMS character that smells distinctly of pot stewed veggies.

Taste: Faint, soft wheat flavors with a splash of lemon juice and merely a hint of sweetness. The DMS is much, much lighter - like adding an asparagus swizzle stick. Suspiciously refreshing finish that's both lightly sour and salty.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Not so bad, really. In fact, it's so tasty, I just HAD to tell the world!

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Reviewed on 7/22/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy yellow gold with a fizzy white head. Aroma of lots of spices, yeast. Smells like a witbier. Flavor of initial carbonation, yeast/bread, spices, with a slightly sour finish. Not as sour/tart as I'd expected from a berliner weisse and a little bit spicier. Still quite tasty and very drinkable.
7/4/7/4/13 (3.5/5)

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pours a very pale and hazy straw color with a big frothy head. THe head quickly fizzes away. No lace.

S: Musty smelling, but with the familiar Weihenstephaner cloves and banana smell.

T: Tart and acidic. A strong lemon and citrus flavor up front gives way to a bready character in the finish.

M: Light with lots of carbonation. FIzzy.

D: The sourness takes some getting used to, but true to Weihenstephaner fashion, this is a good beer. I'll probably stick to the hefe next time though.

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%

Overall, I've had much stronger example of the style, but this is a very adequate rendition.

Appearance: One finger of quickly dissipating foam. Hazy yellow that my GF described accurately as "Mayer lemon" in color.

Aroma: Tartness is on the nose, which is a hard smell to describe. Slightly yeasty. Not very complex.

Taste: Crisp and tart at the get go with no real strong flavor comparisons. Dry like champagne, but nearly as robust. Tart but not sour, no pucker quality here. Overall taste fades very quickly and no strong after taste is present. Not an ounce of sweetness in this one.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, and smooth for a tart beer. Bubbly and crisp taste that goes down quickly.

Drinkability: While not complex, it is very refreshing and almost thirst quenching. It hides 5% ABV very well, especially when compared to lower ABV examples I've had in this style. This would actually be an awesome beer for a hot sumer day and a great beer to have for a picnic or day at the beach.

Overall: This is an adequate beer that I'd pick up again if I ran across it and was in the mood for this style, but I would not hold it to the same regard I hold others(The Bruery & Cambridge Brewing Company were much better).

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem