2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 963 | Reviews: 523 | Show All Ratings:
flagmantho

Washington

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 500mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: beautiful, slightly hazy silver-gold body with almost 2 fingers of frothy white foam. Lots of apparent effervescence in the body. A great looking beer.

Smell: light malt aroma with some green apples and a light pear character; the tartness is present but not overwhelming and there's a chalky back-aroma which is entirely welcome. I can very much dig it.

Taste: tart right up front but dies quickly to a rich malt flavor with some more of that chalky pear and then finishing with just a hint of grain. Really fabulous -- I had been looking forward to trying this beer and it is more than living up to my expectations.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a huge carbonation and concomitant creaminess. It works absolutely beautifully.

Overall: each of the elements in this beer work seamlessly to produce a wonderful, wonderful beer. I know the Germans like to doll this stuff up with raspberry or woodruff, but I can't imagine doing that -- this stuff is awesome as-is.

I'm finding as I get further into the glass that its drinkability is just amazing. What a wonderful beer.

08-09-2011 04:03:23 | More by flagmantho
OldPenguinHunter

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought out a case of this at my local liquor store, god I love this stuff...
Pours with a vigorus head, fluffy and bright white, the aroma of tart stone fruit, yeast, fresh bread are very present and welcomed. The beer is very effervescent which knocks up the sediment in the bottle, no matter, just got to pour it well and slow. The taste is great, that's why the beer is great. I don't think this as being a traditional beliner weisse, but I don't really care, it's freaking good. To me it is more of a tart, blonde ale, there is a bit more meat on this beer than I normally expect from BWs, and it is welcomed, again. Mouthfeel is very prickly, but not prickly enough from gulping this beer down, it is just absolutley refreshing.

Overall, final summation: Buy and drink the Sh1t out of this beer when you can find it.

Cheers!

06-13-2012 02:19:14 | More by OldPenguinHunter
notchucknorris

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a super cloudy pale golden color with some hints of orange. A huge rocky head forms on the pour and tons of carbonation is visible in the glass. Amazing.

S: Great sourness/funk right away with some notes of tart green apple and lemon, maybe some unripe kiwi. A hint of cedar in the back.

T: The flavor opens gradually and moves towards a medium lactic/lemony twang. Some green apple, light funk and wheat on the finish. Probably the best I've had of this style.

07-19-2012 18:22:53 | More by notchucknorris
gleemonger

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Very pale yellow and fizzy - looks very much like a cheapo adjunct. Frothy white head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing, but leaves a small head throughout.

Sour lemon and apples, some earthiness, yeasty banana. Very refreshing smelling.

Very interesting flavors here. Similar to the nose, I'm picking up the sour lemony apple flavors with a bit of an earthy, barnyard hop taste. Also getting a backbone of a weizen taste of banana and clove yeastiness. Super tasty and refreshing, very unique.

Crisp, highly carbonated but not too frothy (like an adjunct), thin.

This is my first of the style, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but got it because I've been wanting to try one and because of the good reviews. Definitely not disappointed, and would love to seek more of these out (and I've seen some random ones popping up at domestic breweries). I just really appreciate all the flavors that come through in this, despite the sour twang, which sometimes tends to overpower for me.

10-10-2012 01:56:07 | More by gleemonger
Brenden

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

It's taken a long time to review, but I've really been studying this style deeply to understand it as my first try so I could properly review it.

This is an extremely pale yellow, just a bit deeper than a good Kolsch but lighter than most macros in color. I expect this for the style. It's also extremely cloudy, as expected. The head doesn't last particularly long but what light, fluffy crown does sit on top doesn't dissipate all that quickly, either. A light touch of thick, white lacing is left in strands.
The aroma is tart and lightly citric, much like a good white white, with a strong note of earthy mustiness to it. There's also a dry malts adding a touch of breads and some wheat underlying. This is nearly perfect or the style and surprisingly potent.
The aroma follows suit, and the strong tart, sour flavors lead the way as they ought to. This beer is reminiscent of the green apple flavors of white wine with wheat and plenty of crackery malts underneath. This one is earthy without getting the grassy / herbal quality of a pils, and hops presence is appropriately light.
With a surprisingly rich mouthfeel proving that light-bodied and weak are not synonymous, this one goes down very nicely, particularly given the crispness that's in every sip.
This is spectacularly drinkable, and anyone looking for light, tart and gently sour and for a pinnacle of this style should reach for this one. Of course, I haven't tried any other Berliner Weissbiers, but I imagine this beer will be extremely difficult to match.

01-18-2011 22:56:49 | More by Brenden
tapman

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Body is a soft, light orange-yellow that is so full of delicious beasties that no light escapes through its opaqueness. The carbonation is so intense, though the head is still pretty manageable, that you can hear the bubbles popping like microscopic bubble wrap. I have never seen a beer act this way before.

Apples, sour cream, grapefruit zest make the aroma for me.

Traditional lactic sourness with a somewhat light toast flavor (very light, but definitely in the finish). Tastes like a really dry cider mixed with cream cheese.

Bright, crisp, dry and refreshing.

It's hard not to give this one good marks since A) it sticks pretty closely to the traditional recipe and brewing process and B) for most of us this is probably our first Berliner Weiss. These B.W.s aren't exactly clogging the shelves, but I much prefer this one to many sour beers I have been trying lately and find it quite enjoyable.

03-19-2011 03:42:08 | More by tapman
Sachsenfreude

Germany

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

appearance; depending on how one likes to pour, either a crystal clear, bright yellow or a cloudy, milky, yellow, packed with lots of thick chunks of sediment. A very fizzy white, that quickly dissipates to nothing. No lacing, very true to the style.

smell; tart, sour, acidic, wrapped in a blanket of milk whey. Lemons for sure, yet not from the hops.

taste; Upfront, lots of lemons and apple cider vinegar flavors. As the tart and sour flavors try to take control, lactic dairy flavors combat them to neutralize the acidity. The aftertaste is that of spicy wheat and lactic acid, mellowed out in bready yeastyness.

mouthfeel; very fizzy and refreshingly crisp. Puckers the mouth a bit after a slimy and sticky finish.

overall; Last time I visited Berlin, I liked the selections from Berliner Kindl and Schultheiss, but this one stands out to me above the others. A perfect beer for a sunny spring day in the states or a sunny summer day in Germany. Highly reccomended for anyone, who can appreciate a sour beer.

03-22-2011 17:35:55 | More by Sachsenfreude
CJStout

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Upon asking clerk for a style that is somewhat out of the ordinary with a distinct flavor this beer was recommended. In short - great call.

Smell: Muted, fresh, appropriate for style.
Taste: Like a tart, sour (tastefully) Jolly Rancher German wheat beer.
Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, quenching.
Drinkability: Off the charts - would drink plenty (if I could afford it!!!)

Overall: Fantastic, refreshing beer! It scratches that summertime itch...

07-18-2009 23:15:01 | More by CJStout
gueuzer

Colorado

Poured from bottle into Westy Chalice

App- Golden, cloudy with no head.

Sm- Very astringent. Green apples and pineapple.

Ta- Lots of delicious lactic balanced by a good full wheatiness. Fruits from the yeast play with the acid in there: pineapple, apricot and grapefruit.

MF- Very light carbonation which allows everything else to show off. Good wheaty mouth feel.

Dr- Awesome. Could drink all day.

Stellar brew. Total treat. Wish it was easier to get. I can't imagine a better beer to use as an introduction to sours. I really liked Dogfish Festina Peche and this puts it to shame.

09-02-2010 03:47:51 | More by gueuzer
ikats

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale yellow in color, slightly hazy with fluffy white head that subsides to a thin cover. There is a nice, constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. As I started pouring the room filled with the wonderful aroma. Reminds me of sour candy. Not too sour. Just some playful tartness. Lemon with a touch of sweetness. I've enjoyed aroma and was afraid that the taste will let me down. Not so. Lightly tart, but followed by some sweetness. Not overpowering at all. In fact, it's quite light. Very drinkable - the first sip was quickly followed by the second and then a few more before I realized that I need to continue with this review. Pleasant mouthfeel. I'm enjoying it in the middle of January, but it would probably taste even better on a warm summer evening.

Berliner Weissbier is one of my favorite styles, but unfortunately it is all too rare. So when I was picking up a few bottles for a friend, I couldn't resist grabbing this bottle as soon as I noticed it for myself. I was a little put off by 5% ABV (seemed a bit high), but now I'm glad I picked up a bottle.

01-24-2012 03:27:26 | More by ikats
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

500ml brown bottle from Ron's Market in Farmington. Pours a hazy light straw color with a good inch of short-lived off-white head. Smells fruity/citrussy, spicy, and slightly sour. Tastes fruity - citrus, apple, equally sweet and sour with a fairly dry clean finish. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Tasty, unique, complex, and super-drinkable. A new favorite!

07-03-2008 01:44:57 | More by MrHurmateeowish
timtim

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

this is a hard beer to review because it is art in a different kind of way than most of the beers we try and review on here. the art here is replicating a process and evoking a sense of place and time for the sake of art, enjoyment and education. if we don't know where styles come from, we don't know where to go with them. dr. fritz gives us the foundation of a style that was almost lost to the tee and it is awesome. pale golden with a white head that hangs out for a while, but doesn't leave much lace. nose is awesome. musty, mossy-wet-rock-in-a-cellar, wet animal, and a touch of citric acidity. the semi-spicy (yeasty) taste is way less tart than one might imagine from the nose, and everything seems just a touch subdued, but like i said, fritz isn't really trying to pull out the stops here, he's trying to school us and make us happy at the same time. ahhhh. this is why they called it the champagne of the north. the cellary, cobweb, musty wet-rockiness is very similar to real champagne. yum. i think i've gone on enough here. awesome beer. know your beery roots. cheers!

09-27-2010 21:40:00 | More by timtim
codysjb

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my lost abbey stem glass.
A: Pours a massive head that dissipates quickly, (20 seconds to bubble down). Straw yellow color that’s murky throughout.
S: Barnhouse funk, lemons and sourness, with some grape and orange notes. Smells amazing.
T: Sour and carbonated upfront with some funk and a slight lemon taste on the end with the traditional European taste that (to me) separates American beer from European styles. Kinda musty.
M: Carbonation and lemon that pull away from the funk.
O: Really good example of the style. It’s no limbic but it’s really tasty and certainly the best example of the style I’ve had (and one of the most affordable and price appropriate). A

01-17-2012 04:42:44 | More by codysjb
elinash

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an absolute perfect example of a berliner weisse. I can't imagine drinking it with syrup, though. It pours with little head, and it's a pale yellow with cloudy yeast. The aroma is slight lemon and light flowers with yeast. Mouthfeel is spritzy, the tartness of the taste changing the mouthfeel. Refreshing, light, and extremely quaffable. I'm glad the world's oldest brewery hasn't sold out.

08-21-2007 00:51:57 | More by elinash
RblWthACoz

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a clouded straw gold with a very sizeable brighter white head. Nose is yeasty and wheat. Touch of citrus. Just the nose you want on a weisse. Flavor is extremely tart and tangy, so much so that it really grabs the back of your mouth. Very strong citrus tones. Long lasting lighter aftertaste combines with a lot of small bubbles on the tongue and a good liquid feel. Heavily drinkable, though that first taste really hit the back of my mouth and sent me for a spin. After that though it was very smooth sailing. Well worth trying. Even though the price tag was a wee bit high.

12-31-2007 05:18:36 | More by RblWthACoz
avalon07

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellowish color and a cloudy consistency. Some sediment. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: A sweet smell of fruit, wheat and a little hops.

T: This beer tasted of bananas, wheat, some lemon and mild hops. The fruity part was most evident when going down, but overall a tasty experience.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a smooth, dry finish. Medium-bodied. Refreshing mouthfeel. Would be a good summer beer.

D: This is the first Berliner Weissbier I've had and hopefully I'll be able to find more of these.

12-08-2008 13:38:28 | More by avalon07
WeisGuy

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

a - pours a bright amber color, one-inch white head, not retention or lacing, hazy with lots of sediment

s - great aroma, lots of funkiness a sour smell, some lemon citrus as well as wheat and a bit of hay

t - nice crisp funky tartness up front, mild wheat sweetness underlying a lemony sourness on the mid-palate, more crisp tartness and funk on the finish mixed with a little graininess, no alcohol detectable

m - light-to-medium bodied, higher carbonation, effervescent, dry finish

d - very drinkable, par for the style, the crispness is very refreshing, I could see this as a perfect warm weather beer

01-06-2010 04:35:59 | More by WeisGuy
Reaper16

Alabama

500mL bottle served into a nucleated imperial pint glass

Pours a very light, pale straw yellow color. Tons and tons of carbonation jets up from the nucleation. Lots of foamy white bubbles form at first but soon disappear. This beer basically looks just like an adjunct lager. Only with hella yeast sediment. Floaties everywhere! Weird, alien life form floaties! I think these floaties might be the Arsenic microbes that NASA found. So yeah, it doesn't look pretty. And I don't have any woodruff syrup to gussy things up. For the style? I have to imagine that this is spot-on. Some beers just can't be pretty.

1809 smells, in part, like a typical wheat beer. You've got some zippy tang, some banana ester. But what dominates is the tartness. This is not a funky beer, no. This is a tart beer. Lemon juice everywhere. There's other stuff too: some carbonate smells, something almost milky. But that tart lemon is what stays with you.

The beer smells way more tart than it actually tastes. There is just enough sharp lemon juice sourness to encourage further drinking. You've got wheat bread flavors everywhere, some lactose like flavors, a bit of water (yeah, it gets watery around the middle of the drink - to the point where I thought I had lemon water in my mouth). This is very good. Light, tart, refreshing.

The mouthfeel has a flaw - that watery business that I just mentioned. Other than that, the carbonation is wonderfully lively and the body as thin as could be. The drinkability? Off the charts. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. Lightly tart, the beer just commands continued quaffing. Amazing.

How is this style of beer not more popular? It's great great great. This particular beer needs to be in six-packs as soon as years ago. It's awesome.

12-03-2010 02:43:59 | More by Reaper16
JLeege

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a massive rising white head that quickly fizzles out to nothing; just as it should.

Smell- Green apple, white grape, and lots of lemon. A very distinct wheatyness and mild funk.

Taste- Tart green apple again, with slightly sour lemon. I have had much more sour, but this has very nice balance. The wheat stands out a bit more towards the finish. Slightly acidic and funky from the lactic acid. Zesty and fruity with a nice dry clean finish. Licking your lips gives you another nice rush of lemon.

Mouthfeel- Light body with spritzy carbonation, dry on the finish. Very refreshing, overly drinkable.

Overall- Outstanding beer, going to have to stock up on this big time. I wish more breweries would give a stab at this style, though this is definitely the best I have had.

06-27-2011 23:52:22 | More by JLeege
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a goblet. Clear, straw colored with a finger of head. Lots of bubbles. Head broke down quickly to almost nothing.
Impressive smell of wet hay, apple, pear and cherry.
Taste like pear and apple too. Sour lemon and a dry bitterness. Lovely.
Almost champagne like in texture. Lots of carbonation, lighter body. Drying effect.
Quite enjoyable. I would drink it on the regular.

09-27-2012 19:39:39 | More by Fatehunter
wd40

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer since I haven't really had a Berliner weissbier before but this beer is awesome! Has a light acidity that makes it dry and refreshing. Not sweet nor bitter just very pleasant and palatable. I could definitely see this paired with chicken or maybe even fish entrees since the lightness of the beer would enhance without competing with the flavors. This is also a beer I would be comfortable sharing with non-beer geeks/craft beer novices as well as beer snobs. I could see how some more experienced beer geeks might find this beer a bit too subtle, but I find this beer to be extremely well crafted

07-29-2013 01:54:26 | More by wd40
Ozzylizard

Undated bottle at 45 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma sour
Head huge (8 cm), white, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to a broken 1 mm layer
Lacing none
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins sour and dry – no malt, no hops, no diacetyl, no alcohol, very refreshing for a weisse
Palate light, dry, lively carbonation

This is a dry, refreshing, slightly lemony beer which would be an excellent lawn mower beer. Definitely worth trying – more jobs for Lactobacilli!

03-05-2014 13:18:04 | More by Ozzylizard
brentk56

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Pours an exceedingly pale straw color with a modest head that fizzes away rather quickly without leaving much lace behind

Smell: Musty aroma, definitely tart, with plenty of bready wheat underlying

Taste: Opens with a mellow bready flavor that is quickly joined by a tart lemon element that grows more sour by the minute; after the swallow, the lemony tartness continues to play off the bland base in a way that is intriguing and satisfying; as the beer warms, it betrays a hint of banana that wasn't there at colder temperature

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with buoyant carbonation

Drinkability: For a sour beer, this is compellingly easy to drink

06-13-2008 23:36:06 | More by brentk56
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I LOVE this style. Not my favorite, but really good. I would love to try it in Germany.

On the pour, this one had a three finger, fast and loudly fizzy head that was rocky as it subsided. This was atop a hazy yellow body, which is expected for the style.

Aroma was sour, again expected. There was a little bit of hoppiness, and definite wheat malt presence.

Ooooh, the taste. Lightly fruity, with hints of carbonated apple juice. Slightly sour with crisp wheat. Nicely balanced, really really good. No bitterness to speak of, but there is some sour bite.

Mouthfeel is very good. The style is expected to be thin, but there is some perceived body because of the pucker factor. Nicely carbonated, sparkly and just damn pleasant.

Great marks for drinkability. This could easily be a session beer for me, and one I will revisit from time to time.

03-27-2009 02:23:24 | More by connecticutpoet
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Great beer! Poured with a fine, white head and no lace. Color is a clear, light yellow. Aroma is tart, grassy, lemony, berry. Taste has tartness in the fore and the nose qualities. Body and carbonation are perfect for the style. Finish is clean and short to medium in length. Excellent summer beer alone and also equally good with a bit of fruit syrup such as raspberry. Would really like to get some more and lay it by.

07-12-2010 21:36:43 | More by drpimento