Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Ratings: 1,296 | Reviews: 578

My first review was from 2007...suffice it to say my tastes have improved:

This is a nice cidery brew, which I normally hate, but this was carbonated and the sweetness is tamed. Very nice. Don't know what I was thinking the first time I reviewed.

From 2007:

App: Not that it is important, but I love the bottle. The beer itself has a thick head. Very pale, yet semi-opaque yellow.

Smell: Nice wheaty smell that you would expect from a Weisse.

Taste: I hate it. I'm sorry, but it tastes like someone poured lemon juice in my beer. Way too tart (even if that was what they were going for) for my liking.

Drinkability: Honestly, it was so tart it upset my stomach.

It's probably something where I just don't care for this style of beer, but I do love Weisse beers. It was just too sour for me to drink. I feel bad, because it is probably a good beer for most, but I have to give my honest opinion.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky yellow color with two fingers of head that dies down quickly to a collar.

The aroma is a pleasant mix of yeast, lemon zest, straw, milkiness, and a light peppery element. Nice and appetizing.

The taste is very lightly tart with notes of lemon zest, yeast, and straw. A bit watery. Clean flavor profile.

The body is light and carbonation is high and spritzy. The mouthfeel and flavor both improve significantly after it sits out for a while and releases those bubbles and flattens out a bit.

Drinkability is high. This is just such a clean tasting beer with subtle characteristics that are intriguing and inviting. A true lawnmower gem.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

500ml bottle. Pours hazy golden with a short lived, thin, white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of lemon fruit, barnyard, sour dough and hints of hops. Medium, tart body. Very sour, tart taste with hints of hops, while high carbonation adds to drinkability. This beer grew on me with every sip. I would not mix it with a syrup.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Served in a Chimay goblet.

My first Berliner, so I figured I'd attack this one "ohne Schuss"...always time for Schuss next time, right? Well, let's see... ... ...Sorry, the jet of bubbles through the champagne-y gold's got me all... ... ...Finding Nemo and whatnot... Shake it off, man, shake it off! Alright, maybe a good, healthy sniff will divert my attentions elsewhere. It's a bit light, but it'll do: some wet, spicy straw, coriander, peppercorns, and lemon peel. If nothing else, my trance is broken (at least momentarily), the perfect opportunity to get a taste in before the bubbles regain their insidious hold on my apparently weak spirit. The taste is heavy on the lemon peel, with those peppercorns and coriander seeds grinding their way about before having some less-than-innocent meetings with some funky characters. Not as sour as I was led to believe by my contemporaries, but not all that blunt either. Really interested in trying it mit Schuss now. Without it, it's pretty dern light and airy, leaving me with a pleasantly dry, tart aftermath. Prolly would be nice on a summer day in Saxony, mit oder ohne Schuss; gonna haveta try that someti-- ... ... ... ... bubbles... ...

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

I love beer, but every now and then I get into a kind of beer doldrums where nothing sounds good and I'm temporarily bored of all my usual favorites. When this happens, I find that the best way to cast off my beer blues is to find something new and different: 1809, in this particular case. I've wanted to try this brew for some time, but at $5.99 the price was usually enough to make think "I'll try it next time." Damn I'm glad I bit the bullet this time. Appearance is dramatic - I popped off the cap and a fountain of tart-smelling fizz burst out. Glad I had it over the sink... Poured into my hefeweizen glass, 1809 had a towering puffy white head which slowly dissipated to leave a constant layer of froth on the surface. The beer itself looks like liquid wheat and is impenetrably cloudy. The smell of wheat is unmistakeable, but I've never smelled a wheat-beer quite so sour as this. Taste is even more tart than the smell suggests - flavors akin to sour green apple, under-ripe nectarine and grape skin are dominant. The sourness, while extreme, is not in any way unpleasant (quite the opposite), which is good because the tartness lingers on your palate long after you swallow. Mouthfeel is prickly with tenacious carbonation, but otherwise a bit spritzery - could use some more body. Drinkability is good for the style, but this certainly isn't anything you'd want to drink all night. Still, I find it enjoyably different. 1809 is certainly a special beer, and although I wouldn't seek it out as a staple, I look forward to revisiting it.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a mildly hazy pale yellow with a frothy two finger head that fades quickly to a thin cap. The lacing is a bit thin, leaving just a few rings behind. A little later the foam almost fades completely away.

Smell; this has a wheat malt dominated aroma at first, but as this warms up a bit some lemons, tart apples and a slightly musty aroma come out.

Taste; the wheat flavor is not quite as strong as i was expecting after the nose, but there's still enough to let you know that this is still a wheat beer. A mild mustiness come through in the middle followed by tart lemons and a bit of honey. Not quite as tart as I was expecting for a Berliner weiss, but still pretty darn good.

Mothfeel is light to medium bodied with a light carbonation that helps make this a refreshing warm weather beer.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle from Ledger's Liquors. Poured into a pint glass. Hazy gold with a large white head. Expectedly fizzy due to the sourness. Aroma is wheaty banana with a meringue note. Flavor is raw tart lemonade with wheaty maltiness and banana esters, some apple, a touch of clove. Very drinkable and crisp.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: clear, gold in color, 1/4 inch head that dissapates quickly, moderate carbonation

Smell: like a dry riesling, notes of honey, toasted malt, and grapefruit

Taste: follows the smell

Mouthfeel: crisp, high carbonation that is present throughout, dry, light body, sweet start with a slightly bitter backbone

Drinkability: Above average for the style. Never have I had a beer that tastes so much like a wine before. Not as sour and tangy as my previous experience with the style. Not bad, but I would probably reach for others in this style first.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

500 ml bottle picked up at the Coop earlier this week for I think about $5.. poured into my New Belgium snifter.

2 finger head dies back quick above an only slightly hazy dark straw beer.

Aroma is lactic... but not out of control.. grainy.. and wheat... but definitely smells sour.. I am intrigued.

Sour is in the front of the palate.. but not nearly as much as expected.. more like a surprising addition to a hefe... under-ripe peaches and lemon dominate .. sorta dry grainy finish backs into the remnants of the sour peach component.. I want some crackers .. I am still getting quite a bit of wheat that pokes its head through the sour.. drying but in a good way.

Very interesting for sure.. I should probably get some more.. but beer funds are limited.. Hopefully the Matt has a couple more when I go hunting.. This would be fantastic on a hot summer day.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a hazy straw color and is opaque when held to the glass. A very short-lived almost white 2 inch head forms and reduces leaving no lacing. Some sediment is present.

The aroma has a sour lemon component with some mild earthy hops notes. Just a bit of yeast.

The taste is also much like lemon zest combined with yeast and a nice earthy/grassiness from the bacteria.

The mouthfeel is clean and crisp, leaving a nice dryness. It is light bodied and has a quick and high but clean carbonation.

Overall, this is not my preferred beer style, but I could sit and easily drink one or two of these and enjoy it. Nice components combined with a uniqueness keeps me coming back.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a hazy straw color that seems to have a little bit of burn orange to it as well. A big white head forms with no effort on the pour and doesn't really seem to dissipate at all.
Smells citric and fruity. Honestly, the nose isn't nearly as sour as I expected. It's no Bavarian weiss, but it's not as sour as many lambics or other Beliner weisses either.
The taste is more along the lines of what I expected. Not quite as mouth puckeringly tart as a couple others, but still about as sour as beer gets. Citric acid, a little lemon zest, and surprisingly a hint of wheat malt flavor shows up.
Not too chalky or thick or watery either. Pretty much the ideal body for the style.
Not my favorite style, but probably the best example I've had. My wife loves Berliners and this has been her favorite thus far, so take that for what it's worth.
Cheers to Weihenstephan for going after a "dead" style with a long history. Pretty cool idea.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a pale, transparent yellow with a giant head that recedes as fast as it grows. Head dies to nothing with no lacing whatsoever.

Smells of tart Granny Smiths with underripe grapes. A wheaty background note.

Tastes almost like a nice dry cider--tart apples and dry grapes with an interesting wheatiness. Almost minerally it's so dry.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Very clean finish.

Incredibly drinkable and refreshing, this would make a nice session beer if it didn't cost me 7 bucks for the 500ml bottle.

For a beer I've been wanting to try for a long time, this came as somewhat of a letdown. Too expensive and unidimensional to be really satisfying in the end.

3.86/5  rDev -5.9%

A-pale cloudy yellow with a thin white head

S-smells like tart wheat. medium strength

T-comes in with a great and smooth taste of tart wheats. really good! ends with a taste that reminds me of banana champagne

M-medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-this is definitely an easy and fun beer to drink. the germans might really be making this style the best. it tastes so much more genuine and pure than the other that i've had.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy pale yellow with a small white head. No lacing.

Smell: Pale wheat malt and tartness.

Taste: Very tart with a dry finish. Pale wheat malt. Not alot of complexity but it's still pretty good.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Served from pint bottle into Belgian tulip. Pale straw, rather opaque. Head dissipates quickly.

S: Creamy wheat with citrus fruit and herbal notes. Light and pleasant, not sour at all.

T: Light sour notes, more apple and light drinking yogurt than lemon. Reminds me of Federweisser, the partially fermented fresh wine drink.

D: High due to lively acidity and carbonation. Would be great with pizza or savory crepes.

Overall this is the first Berliner Weisse I have tried and I must say that the style is to my liking. Great beer.

Edit: If you don't like the sour taste, drink it with something greasy. Having it with Camembert cheese now and can hardly feel the sourness.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Pours a cloudy light golden color with a decent head that fades to no real lacing.

S: Aroma of lemon, some wheat and bit of spice and yeast.

T: Taste starts lemony with some tart. Then a mixture of fruit and spice with a bit of grain. Subtle bitterness and a clean finish.

F: fairly light body, tart, quite smooth and refreshing.

O: Easy drinker, especially on a hot day. Good for a few.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

02/06/09- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, CA.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle. Did not check for freshness info. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Fairly clear, a bit clouded yellow colored pour. Fizzy two fingered head which fades fairly quickly. Doesn't really leave any signs of lace, but I'm not sure what the ideal appearance is for a Berlineer.

Smell- Light nose of funk with mostly lemon peel and some sourness.

Taste- Sour, but not as much as the other ones per style I have had. Lemony tartness and almost a light honeyed tea flavor. Nice

Mouthfeel- Prickly higher carbonation level. Wine cooler like. Nice short tartness in the aftertaste.

Drinkability- Enjoyed this beer. Would like to try a mainstay of the style if I get a chance, just to compare.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

My first crack at a Berliner Weiss. 16.9oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

This one pours a pale golden/straw color with a bit of haze. So many tiny bubbles make its appearance almost champagne-like. A fizzy, towering head quickly recedes to a thin ring which is only kept alive by its highly active carbonation.

Smells at first like sweet grains. Wheat and a small amount of citric zest come through. After a while of sniffing and trying to pinpoint the aroma, I finally settled on apple sauce. It makes me think of a big bowl of apple sauce. Nothing overwhelming, but it's there.

Tastes mildly citric. A wave of sweetness from the wheat. A nice drying tartness. Nothing overwhelming in the way of sourness- the slight pucker actually is quite pleasing.

Fizzy, spritzy carbonation lighten the body, but the flavors are washed clean and it seems a bit thin. However, the pleasing tartness and the clean finish make this one highly drinkable. An extremely refreshing beer for the Summer.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Lots of visible carbonation fuels a white head. The body has some haze to it. Leaves some splotches behind.

Pretty pungent wheat aroma. Lemon and some mustiness.

Light and effervescent on the tongue. Not much tartness to it especially when compared to American takes on the style. Follows through with the nose with that citric lemon character and wheat.

Probably the best of the style I've had so far. It's more dynamic than the others, but with less lacto presence.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Pours a bright, golden straw color with a one finger head of heavily carbonated foam that dissipates pretty quickly. Looks light and refreshing. Cloudiness forms when the contents at the bottle's bottom enter the glass.

S: Hefeweizen qualities: wheat, banana, light cloven-lemon with a shred of wheat. Ho hop to speak of, merely sweet, light malts and some ethyl alcohol.

T: Sweet, cold, lemony and tart. Has lambic like qualities with a tart lemon finish. The aftertaste leaves some other light fruits in my nose, an a sweet, sugary tartness on my molars. Like a well-crafted malternative sans gut-rot.

M: Mouthfeel is thin, crisp, sharp and acidic. Like swishing around a sparkling pinot grigio.

D: It's a really refreshing brew, and the low ABV would ensure you could handle a lot of it. However, I feel this is one to pop the cap on one, split it with a friend, and move on. The tart build-up in my throat would get to me after a while.

A great representation of the style and a refreshing beer overall. A little too tart for the fall season, but it's my fault for opening it now anyway. Save it for late spring/summer, and it'll be money.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very turbid pale marigold colour, with large carbonation bubbles skulking up to the top. Head is white and foamy, pretty humble but decent retention for the bubble size. Lace is not really there. Looks quite nice.

Smell is fairly funkadelic. Tart and crisp with a lot of acid, giving me Granny Smith apples, cranberries and citrus, all contained within a nice spice jar with cinnamon, ginger and a marmalade sweetness hanging at the back. Nice complexity, crispness, balance. It's ticking many of my boxes.

Taste is interestingly tart. Very fruity with a large melon component that starts early and gets far more pronounced towards the back. Not actually as much acid as I anticipated; the texture puckers slightly but doesn't take hold like other Berliner Weißes I've had. Slight tart berry component late-mid and a strong vinous character on the back is helped by the dry texture. Mostly sour towards the finish but it doesn't linger, and leaves you nicely refreshed, like a very strong lemon squash.

Could use a touch more flavour on the front and perhaps more of a flourish on the finish. It's quite enjoyable as it is, however.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours quite hazy, with a yellowish straw color and is topped by a frothy, initially three finger thick, fluffy, off-white colored head, which dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is quite aromatic, with aromas reaching my nose as I pour this beer; at first aromatic notes of clove and banana reach my nose (like found in a traditional German Hefeweizen). In fact even when I go in for a better sense of the aroma, these notes are still the most noticeable. There is a solid, grain-like wheat character, a light tartness, which gives the nose a hint of an edge, as well as fruity notes of lemon zest, apricot and green apple. Once you start digging around in the aroma a distinct, funky note reminiscent of cheddar cheese becomes noticeable. In fact once noticed, this funkiness becomes quite apparent; funky cheese, but a musty cotton thing, and some mushroom like notes. The funk, as it were, remains fairly subdued; this allows the traditional yeast and grain character to come through quite well; though I could certainly wish for a touch more funkiness in the nose.

The taste is quite a bit tarter than the aroma would suggest; it is by no means hard, but has a nice lactic edge to it that is immediately noticeable. Wheat and lightly kilned malt notes come through quite well, supplying a bread-like note as well as some soda cracker notes. Despite the fact that the head disappeared quickly, the beer is still quite well carbonated; this adds a zesty textural note of fizz as it hits the tongue. The beer is quite light and drinkable, though it is on the heavy side for a modern style Berliner Weiss. It also has a bit more alcohol than the modern versions, but given the allusions on the bottle, it seems to be trying to be a stronger, earlier take on the style. I would guess that a traditional Hefe-Weizen yeast was used here as those flavors are here too; notes of banana and clove are definitely distinguishable and are a welcome addition.

The second pour yields a taste that is a touch more yeast, and thus bread-like and perhaps a touch less tart. This is a tasty beer; I would be really curious as to how this will bottle condition over the years; I certainly wish I had more of this right now, so I will have to pick up a couple bottles the next time I have a chance. I think that this beer might get considerably better after some age on it.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle served in a tulip glass. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw yellow color with 2 fingers of a white soapy head. Very effervescent. Body is very hazy with lots of visible carbonation streaming throughout.

Smell: Clove, spice, lemon peel, apple and some lactic character

Taste: Wheat, clove, banana, pear, light funk. Sourness is low.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. Carbonation is relatively high, but the wheat helps soften the mouthfeel a bit.

Overall: Good, but not amazing. While it's not completely true to style it's one of the better easily available Berliner options out there.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a tulip

a: hazy straw yellow with looks to be lots of carbonation. Large head that goes away

s: kinda of sour, some funk, straw, slight barnyard smell which isn't off-putting

t: sour lemon and lactic acid, some sweetness

m: tart, bubbly with a dry finish... enjoyable on a hot summer afternoon

I like this beer and wish to try more in the style. This is refreshing in the heat.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

(16.9oz bottle). Gusher. Pours cloudy lemon yellow color with massive white head. Active carbonation. Aroma of funk, basement, citrus and lavender; it's perfumey. Taste is tart with some malt sweetness underneath. Medium bodied with a smooth finish. This is a gentle beer. I definitely should get more to age. Nice.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem