Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer pours a somewhat hazy pale orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma is of funky and sour with some dark fruit and plums. The taste has more of a sour zing to it, and some nice acidity in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of refreshing carbonation. Overall, this is a very nice Berliner Weisse. I will certainly drink this again.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a nice blend of wheat, bananas and citrus, light malts, some spice and some hops.

T: The taste is bready, fruity and spicy up front with flavors of wheat, bananas and citrus. The malt character is on the thin side as it should be and there's a mild hops presence that provides some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and extremely crisp, light body, high carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not filling at all, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent light and flavorful beer that is worth drinking for a whole evening.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a personal first for this style. From what I've gathered this beer should act as a good representation.

1809 pours a lively and somewhat hazy golden yellow. The active fizziness provides a white head that quickly disappears leaving only the golden beer.

Smells of tart lemon zest and contains a slightly grassy or hay like scent.

Very tart tasting, but not overwhelmingly so or causing me to reach for some syrup. Lemon qualities stand out more so than in the nose. Crisp and clean finish.

Mouthfeel is reminiscent of ginger ale with large active carbonation. Likely to style, but not to my tastes. Highly drinkable, but I wouldn't reach for another. Altogether a fairly straightforward beer that doesn't carry much depth. I don't see the call for syrup as necessary.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A) This Berliner-Weisse is litght in color, quite murky, but still translucent, it had a decent size fine fizzy head, almost like a soda.
S) The aroma was sweet with a hint of a tart fruity taste, maybe kind of cherry-like.
T) This beer bites in dry, but rapidly swells to a sweet and wet lingering taste. The dark cherry sweetness lilts leaving the tartness at the bottom of the palate to linger.
M) This beer has a fair share of complexity to its feel. It starts dry, lingers wet, as if it were almost sticky, if it wasn't for the fizz dancing on the tongue.
D) The tart-sweetness, combined with the light fizziness strikes me like it would be a very nice summer celebration beer. It is tart, but very slightly, and leaves me wanting another.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into a duvel snifter. Poured a cloudy murky straw color with thick foamy white head very little lacing. Smell is a mixture of lemon zest, banana phenolic, apple cider, and sour lactic scents. Taste is extermely refreshing with a sour citur dry flavor again with some apple flavor minus hop and only slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing with a light body. I could drink this beer on the beach, mowing the lawn, pretty much anywhere and especially in times of hot weather because I think its more refreshing then lemonade. First Berliner weissbier and to me its a nice one.

Colorful, Napoleon reference laced bottle (500ml) poured into big Schneider Weisen glass.

A bit of a test for me, virgin to the style and did not enjoy Festina Peche but have been more than impressed by this brewer's other offerings so getting back on the horse.

A: Nice nice pour. Cloudy maize colored wheaty body. The yeast made some escape and settled in. The head had substance but dropped away real fast. Lacing- none.

S: Stonefruit tart smell, plenty of puckering tart. Combo of lemon peel, orange peel, banana and peach- complex.

T: Wheat and not over the top tartness of which I feared. The fruitiness was good in that it didnt taste fake but almost like you expected some seeds to be in there. No bitterness, reminds me of the flavors in the back of a well made ceviche.

M: Lots of carbonation fizz. Tart but awfully refreshing. Ginger ale texture.

D: Refreshing and not put off like I thought I would- might be growing into appreciation of the style. Still a bit too tart to have too many at once but great for summertime Im sure.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked this one up on the advice of my drinking buddy rate beerian fishingnet.

A: Pours a nice light yellow hue, somewhat cloudy. The head is big and bold. 3 fingers in height with tons of carbonation. The head dies to absoultely nothing with no lacing but some floaters are present.

S: Nice light aromas with hints of yeast, wheat, and lemon.

T: Wow. Nice, light, yeasty, wheaty, lemony goodness. Very good.

M: Nice and light, tons of carbonation.

D: Soo drinkable. The perfect florida summer brew.

Overall: I loved Festina Peche which sent me in search of other wonderful Berliner's. Fishingnet from ratebeer told he to get this one. Boy was he right. Tons of nice light flavor with wonderful drinkability. I can see me sipping many of these during the hot Florida summer days.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

500ml Bottle
$5.49
West Lakeview

1809 pours a great looking slightly hazy straw golden with a great deal of carbonation. Streams and explosions of carbonation rush to the surface and help keep the fingers worth of micro-bubbled head intact. 1809 just looks refreshing and leaves some decent but thin lace down the glass.

My nose is immediately greeted by a very noticeable wheat twang and a nice sour wheatiness as well. Once I dig beyond the wheat there's a healthy dose of mouth puckering lemon juice. The sourness of the wheat and lemon make this all at once smell refreshing and makes my mouth water. I didn't catch it at first but with a little warming there seems to be a low key banana by-product from the yeast used that adds another layer of complexity. I can't get my nose out of this glass.

The body is very champagne like in the mouth. The wheat is all over the tongue along with puckering lemon sourness and a damp(sour) wheatiness. The lemon really plays a huge role in the flavor and this beer is better because of it. Not much, if any, banana in the flavor but there does seem to be a green apple like tartness floating around in there. Each sip quenches your thirst and then leaves a slight pucker which makes you want another drink.

The mouthfeel is right on. Again this is very champagne like with big yet smooth carbonation rolling over the tongue. Light bodied with a nice puckering ability and a slight drying on the back of the tongue.

This is one of those ultimate warm weather drinkers. If it didn't cost so much I would buy this by the case and sip the summer away.

1809 turns out to be a great brew that is lower on the abv but packs a lot of flavor. A definite session beer and something to be enjoyed while outside on a warm day. I will pick this up again without question.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Brewed by Dr. Fritz Briem of the Doemens Institute with traditional mash hopping and without a wort boil.

A: Pours a hazy golden-yellow with a huge 3 finger rocky white head that slowy faded. There is very active visible carbonation per style.

S: very yeasty, with light bananas, cloves, lemonbread scents, and a dominant citrus sourness.

T: The beer starts out with a moderate but very smooth sour yeasty bite, a dry fruity champagne like palate and is followed by a summer quenching freshly squeezed tart lemony tang. The yeast truly highlights this beer with a traditional lactic acid character. The palate is dry and fruity and wheat dominated and very crisp. The finish is tangy with a big wet citrus kiss balanced against the yeasty sourness.

M: lively from the active carbonation with an oily texture.

D: Overall a very refreshing beer with great yeast attributes providing a sour citrusy bite makes this beer truly standout in its class. Very good drinkability and a very good rating overall within style.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

This is my first review of a Berliner Weiss (I've had some that were overwhelmingly sour, and when I was in Germany I wimped out and tried the syrups).

A: Clear yellow-straw (becomes very cloudy with sediment), fizzy white head, initially a little retention & leg/lace.

S: Clean sour/tart aroma with lemon, tropical fruit, citrus rind, biscuity malt & a light grassy spicing.

T: Tart fruitiness (slightly puckering), citrus, cider, pineapple, underlying biscuity malt.

M: Light to moderate body is smooth & slightly acidic with a crisp, dry finish.

D: Very drinkable for the style.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

500 ml bottle picked up at the Coop earlier this week for I think about $5.. poured into my New Belgium snifter.

2 finger head dies back quick above an only slightly hazy dark straw beer.

Aroma is lactic... but not out of control.. grainy.. and wheat... but definitely smells sour.. I am intrigued.

Sour is in the front of the palate.. but not nearly as much as expected.. more like a surprising addition to a hefe... under-ripe peaches and lemon dominate .. sorta dry grainy finish backs into the remnants of the sour peach component.. I want some crackers .. I am still getting quite a bit of wheat that pokes its head through the sour.. drying but in a good way.

Very interesting for sure.. I should probably get some more.. but beer funds are limited.. Hopefully the Matt has a couple more when I go hunting.. This would be fantastic on a hot summer day.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Poured from a 20oz bottle into a Pilsner glass. Pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice 1/4" head. I left the yeast in the bottle.

S- Peaches for sure. I am pretty confident there are none in this style but I smell them very strongly. Some mild sourness comes through on the nose too.

T- Peaches again and some apples too. You would think they are in there. You get the wheat backbone also. The sourness is not over-powering, not quite as high as a lambic or wild ale.

M- Really highly carbonated. This is perfect for this style. Nice and crisp like a refreshing soda.

D- I could drink this all day. I am making a homebrew version of this later this month and I cannot wait to have it here to drink this summer. This is a beer you could drink 4 or 5 of.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

A: I left the yeast in the bottle, so the beer in the glass was a crystal clear golden color with tons of visible carbonation topped with a thin pure white head.

S: Wheaty somewhat tart aroma. A touch of banana in there also.

T: Very wheaty flavor with a slight edge of tartness. I've had tarter Berlinerwiess beers before and this doesn't require any syrups at all. There are notes of apple and banana also.

M: Medium light bodied. It would be very light bodied except for the wheat's influence.

D: This is a good beer and I know this is supposed to the one of the quintessential beers of the style, but I've had better.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance - An opaque wheat color with a fizzy, short-lived head. While it's not the most inviting beer in terms of appearance, it looks exactly as it should.

Smell - The usual banana and clove hefeweizen smell is met with a slightly funky sourness, leaning perhaps a bit more toward the traditional hefeweizen aroma.

Taste & mouthfeel - An even mix of fruity, phenolic flavors and lactic sourness. Banana bread and lemon juice come to mind. Light-bodied and spritzy. Very refreshing and drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance - pours a golden color with great clarity into a hefe half-liter. The bead coming up to meet the 2 inch head is pretty cool looking. I held up on the pour and unwittingly disturbed some of the sediment in the bottle. A bit got in, clouding the view, but it's only a light haze. The head bubbles down but is staying at a cover thanks to active bubbling below.

Aroma - standard grain and a light funkiness.

Taste - a quick flavor of graininess, taken over by a lemony sourness in short order. Being style-prepped by Festina Peche, I was more expectant of the flavor, which helps. The funky element is light and this is a fairly enjoyable beer. The finish is dry, tart, and clean, albeit burp-inducing.

Mouthfeel - high carbonation, crisp body, lighter weight.

Drinkability - mostly tasted for posterity, but after the experience, I would have it in Berlin, no problem.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a pale golden yellow with a streaming rush of bubbles and a 2 finger white head that left a layer of suds behind.

S - Tart lemon and wheat with a slight hint of banana and a touch of sour.

T - Bready wheat malt and tart lemon mixed with banana and a yeasty flavor followed by a sour bready finish.

M - Crisp and refreshing with high carbonation and a dry finish.

D - Tasty. Poured the yeast in half way through and the only difference I noticed was the clarity.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a straw to golden in color, vibrant and clear with the lightest haze. A white head rises up and falls, though very active carbonation keeps coming up throughout. Smell is of tart fruits, light grain and wheat. Taste expands on the subtleties the nose provides. Good and sharp, crisp flavors hitting the tongue. It starts somewhat dry with wheat but moves to tart fruits. Green apple, nearing sour at times. Light orange, lemon, and banana flavors. A refreshing and again crisp mouthfeel, very big on carbonation. At times it's near creamy to the tongue. Reminds me somewhat of champagne but I could drink this more easily...not bad at all.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Reviewing beers like this is always tough: does it matter more that it is a good beer or more that it is horrifically not to style?

The beer pours a nice pale straw with an incredibly amount of carbonation. It certainly looks like a Berliner Weiss.

But then the smell hits. Bananas. It seems like they used a weizen yeast for this beer, which is very unusual as Berliner Weisses normally use a very clean fermenting yeast strain. It is really a very one dimensional smell: just bananas.

The taste is an awkward love-child of Weizen and Berliner Weiss flavors. A blast of banana followed by a nice, light lactic tartness. Personally, I think it could have been more tart, but I tend to like my beers very sour. The aftertaste is a lingering "cream" from the protein in the wheat.

The mouthfeel is fantastic, nice and bubbly. Given that this beer is twice the strength of a modern Berliner Weiss, I was expecting the beer to be too full for the style, but it maintains a nice champagne-like mouthfeel: thin and bubbly. I dig it.

The drinkability of the beer is pretty good. I certainly like it and will probably buy it again, but I'm having a hard time getting past the banana. I mean, if they are going to use a weizen yeast, they should at least try to get some clove in there to balance it out. It reminds me of a homebrewed Berliner Weiss I made a while ago, where my girlfriend turned the temperature up in the apartment without telling me. The yeast I used (nottingham -- not quite to style either, I know) kicked off a ton of banana. Just one-dimensional banana. This beer reminds me of that homebrew.

Certainly not bad, but not what I was looking for either.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

I drank this at an "Art of Refermentation" beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver at the National Geographic.

These are my tasting notes:

This beer had a Lambic type aroma. The finish on the beer was tart. The mouthfeel was champagne like.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Thought I would give a Berliner Weisse a try. I know this is a reproduction, but it was all I could find at the local brew spot.

Very cloudy straw like color. Pours with an aggressive bleach white head that quickly recedes. Tight tiny bubbles persist.

Smell is similar to a typical german weisse, but with a fruity sour note.

Very tart and fruity. Strong lemon-like citrus flavor. No noticeable hop or malt flavor. Almost reminds me of a tall refreshing glass of lemonade. The tartness is very similar to sucking on a vitamin c tablet(which strangely, I kind of like).

I drank this out of a true Berliner Weisse bowl that I had received long ago. I know this glass is designed to drink with woodruff or fruit additives, but what the heck.

This is a beer that I could drink all day long on a hot summer day.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a slightly cloudy lemon yellow with a fine white head that disappears quickly, save for a persistent ring from the abundant carbonation. The aroma is that of a great hefeweizen with a sharpness from the Brett. The flavor is true to the smell, with a clear sourness that does more to balance the malty body than the light hop bitterness. Absolutely adherent to style and with such clean and crisp flavors that the addition of the woodruff or respberry syrup traditional with this style would be a sacrilege. Certainly will inspire a homebrewing batch in a month or so.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a clouded straw gold with a very sizeable brighter white head. Nose is yeasty and wheat. Touch of citrus. Just the nose you want on a weisse. Flavor is extremely tart and tangy, so much so that it really grabs the back of your mouth. Very strong citrus tones. Long lasting lighter aftertaste combines with a lot of small bubbles on the tongue and a good liquid feel. Heavily drinkable, though that first taste really hit the back of my mouth and sent me for a spin. After that though it was very smooth sailing. Well worth trying. Even though the price tag was a wee bit high.

Bottle courtesy of jjpm74: Poured a cloudy and hazy deep yellow color ale with some white hue also noticeable and a huge pure white bubbly head with some good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of wheat malt with some sour notes. Taste consisted of wheat malt with some medium sour notes without much acidity. Full body with some good carbonation. Very well done, easily drinkable and I am just glad somebody tries to brew this though to get style.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

500 ml Bottle, poured in to my Orval glass. Hay yellow with a big, fizzy white head. A soft wheaty aroma, with plenty of fruity citrus acidic notes. To me, that flavor is not much different that your average weissbier, then you get to the ultra refreshing tartness. Super dry finish. Really glad I picked this one up today.

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

a huge wheatiness spews forth. spice also, and it really smells like a wit. as i would have expected: some tartness. the head was huge up front, and fell steadily. very light, slightly hazy

the tartness is quite a bit more prevalent in the taste, and really carries the rest of the flavor profile on its back. some sweetness, but the citricity is the most noticeable of the flavors. coriander and other spices come through. caraway?

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem