Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

Bottle from Keg Liqour on 09/17/2007.

Poured hazy yellow color with a large frothy white head that mostly lasted with fair lacing.

Moderate wheat sour fruit aroma.

Light to medium body.

Light sour fruit flavor with a light sour finish of moderate duration.

Interesting, not my style.

tmoneyba, Nov 12, 2008
3.06/5  rDev -25.5%

From: The Andersons, Columbus, OH
Date: None on bottle (purchased 5/2013)
Glass: Standard US pint glass

A somewhat strange, overcarbonated, overly sweet like-green-grapes-and-apples and just slightly tart beer in the Berliner weisse style, Fritz Briem's attempt is one that I don't anticipate revisiting, despite having done so several times already.

A gentle pour produces a pale white head several centimeters in height, made up of medium-sized bubbles, giving a slightly sponge-like appearance. Retention is excellent, and fades to a Some residual lacing on glass, and after each sip. Body is a light golden yellow color, with light bringing out pale yellow hues. Carbonation is visible through the rather murky (60-70% opaque) beer, numerous and very active.

Scent is of sweet, green grape juice, tart apples, slightly soured wheat mash, very light lemon citrus notes, and clover flowers. For the style, somewhat expressive, but also nowhere near tart enough and with no real lactobacillus influence, despite its being mentioned.

A surprisingly sweet Berliner weisse, with a touch of lactobacillus-influenced flavor and Mcintosh apple-like tartness. Front of palate picks up flour-like wheat malts with a modest touch of tartness and lactobacillus flavor, along with moderately strong green grape and Mcintosh apple-like sweetness. Mid-palate continues the mild tartness, as mostly from Mcintosh apples and green grapes with mild wheat malt characters. Back of palate finally detects some Lactobacillus influences, along with continued Mcintosh apple tartness and green grape sweetness alongside a slight hint of wheat malt; still too sweet. Closes sweet with slight tartness, Lactobacillus-influenced flavor, and Mcintosh apples with a hint of wheat flour.

Beer is with carbonation of high intensity, leading to a very fizzy (painfully so), ultra-foamy mouthfeel that's just too much for the style and the beer itself as well. Closes semi-dry, with light stickiness remaining on the palate.

falloutsnow, Oct 12, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -25.1%

A - Cloudy yellow with a small head, ton of floaty yeast or something in there. Nice dissipation leaving some very intricate lacing around.

S - Yeast and malty with a tart smell. Apples and pears come through on the nose.

T - Quite tart, but not quite sharp enough. A little creamy, pear taste is just a little too much like juice to be good. Don't get me wrong, pretty pleasant to drink, but missing the sharpness of the berliner weisses that I prefer. Nice yeast hints with some malts appearing on the backend.

T - Creamy, slipperly, light. Would have liked a touch more carbonation.

D - For some reason this beer just was not super drinkable for me, surprising considering the low ABV. Maybe it's just the sweetness becoming overpowering. Had trouble getting through the single bottle.

AgentZero, Mar 02, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a clear pale honey color with a small white head that leaves a crown.

Smells like a lemon explosion. Reminds me of a white wine. Very acidic, white grapes, sour apple, hard to pick out the malt.

Tastes like a lemon explosion. It tastes more like a tart pinot grigio than a beer. The malt comes through at the end as a pale dry wheat and is quickly drowned out by the after-effect of the tartness.

Light but a little sticky, very tart and with so much acidity it's hard to pick out detailed flavors because my glands are secreting as much saliva as possible in response to the tartness. Something of a confusing experience.

This was not at all what I was expecting. However, re-evaluated under the category it actually fits, it appears to be a fairly complex and interesting brew.

But it still is like a whole tree of lemons exploding in my mouth.

Thanby, Mar 16, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a hazy light yellow with a huge head and a ton of carbonation.

Aroma is bubblegum, green apple, hay and loose tobacco.

Taste is similar to the aroma with wheat and some green apple tartness, but not super tart. I don't pick up any lacto. The finish is relatively dry and slightly tart.

Overall, this was somewhat of a disappointment. It just tasted like a boring, fizzy wheat beer with a little bit of tartness. I'll conclude that I prefer the modern American Berliners with a more robust lacto component than this traditional Berliner.

GuzzLah, Mar 03, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a cloudy thick yellowish orange color with a one finger foamy white head that quickly disappears, leaving no lacing. Kind of sludgy looking and unappealing.

Citrusy aroma with hints of corriander and orange peel as well as some funky sour tartness. Slightly spicy with hints of peppery lemon zest.

Funky sour version of a heffe. Bready yeaty bosy with hints of corinader, lemon and orange peel as well as some subtle grapefruit and ripe banana. The tartness is subtle and not as dominant as I was expecting and/or hoping for. Slightly tart finish but otherwise just tastes like a muddy earthy german wheat beer.

corby112, Nov 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -22.1%

pours a semi-hazy sunshine yellow, with a large white bubbly head, live carbonation, and not much of a lacing.

smell is of wheat, light citrus, and a touch of spice.

taste is crisp, lots of lemon (too much), and yeast, ends on the sour side.

overall tastes better than it look or smells, refreshing, leaves mouth clean.

froghop, Jun 21, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

a huge wheatiness spews forth. spice also, and it really smells like a wit. as i would have expected: some tartness. the head was huge up front, and fell steadily. very light, slightly hazy

the tartness is quite a bit more prevalent in the taste, and really carries the rest of the flavor profile on its back. some sweetness, but the citricity is the most noticeable of the flavors. coriander and other spices come through. caraway?

bruachan, Dec 05, 2007

DCgolfpro, Jan 12, 2014

draftpunk, Apr 07, 2013

Bryanbrown0420, Jul 25, 2014

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH, Nov 03, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours straw colored, cloudy as the bottle gets towards the bottom. Nothing really as far as head or lacing goes.

Smells like tart, lemony funk.

Taste is light, tart through and through. Dry lemon flavors, some barnyard-style funk and not too much else.

A bit fizzy and very light.

This one is as easy to drink as seltzer water. Nothing bad here at all, and while I've never had a Berliner Weissbier before, I'd like my sour beers with a bit more going on than this.

musicforairports, Mar 07, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

Serving: poured from 500ml bottle into Blue Moon weizen glass.

Appearance: wow! huge frothing head that forced me to ease up on the pour. Clear straw yellow color with vigorous carbonation. Fun to watch the head from the top as it actually surges and bubbles for minutes.

Smell: dry with a hint of lemon citrus. Slight wheat smell.

Taste: dry with lemon, then you get the intense bitter sourness.

Mouthfeel: light, extremely carbonated and dry, slightly mouth puckering.

Overall: Very interesting, almost like a mix of a dry champagne and sugarless European citrus soda with some wheat grounding it in beer territory. While I am willing to try this style again, I found the dry sourness to be a bit intense. Luckily I was able to pair this with some food (baked salmon), but I do not think I would drink this without food.

VaterRoss, Dec 22, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

chefelf, Jul 25, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -19%

This beer poured out as a very pale hazy looking yellow color. The head was white and had a light lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer was kind of on the tart side, wasn't really thinking it'd be like that but it was. The taste of the beer was also a little tart but subtle. They offered some Woodruff syrup to add into the brew and I found that to be interesting. I liked the beer more with the syrup which is probably frowned upon by some people. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall the beer was refreshing the tartness was tolerable and would probably be most enjoyed on hot days.

Knapp85, Jun 06, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -19%

The aroma has sour wheat, sour kraut, barley, and yeast with virtually no hops. The appearance is hazy with gold color and a nice head. The flavor is sour but not overly so and very much like the aroma. The palate is thin but just right. Overall it's close to being good.

nick76, Nov 09, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -19%

Live review. Poured from the "1 pint, .9oz" bottle that I purchased at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor a few days ago for $2.99 into my SN Anniversary Ale pint glass.

A Huge, 4 inch white meringue like head that stuck around for a few minutes. The head was very active, popping with carbonation as it dissipated rather quickly down to a trace island in the middle of the beer. Body is very light yellow, kind of boring. 3.5

S Effervescent, citrus, barley smells. Beer also smells "light." 3.0

T/M Very light feel, bubbly, effervescent with carbonation dancing across my tongue in a light, citrusy dance. Taste is not very strong frankly with some light citrus and distant barley tastes. I cannot say that I really like this taste as it is too distant for me. Festina Peche (the only other Berliner Weisse that I rated) was more flavorful. 3.0

D Highly drinkable and I am sure refreshing on a hot day, say after yardwork or something. This thing is that I would not reach for this in that situation, I would probably go with a more tasty and more available beer such as SNPA. 4.5

adamette, Sep 12, 2009

16.9 oz bottle served in a snifter

A - light yellow with particles, plenty of sediment despite careful pour.

S - not entirely pleasant

T - Surprise! Pleasant and shockingly tart. Typical German weisse flavor underneath but dominated by slightly fruity tartness.

M - tartness is main feature of the mouthfeel.

O - not being a fan of middle-of-the-road German weisse, I actually prefer this tart variant.

chinchill, May 12, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

poured crisp clean yellow with hints of orange and copper. light fizzy head that quickly disappeared. little to no retention or lacing.

light vinegar with hints of funk and lemon. light malt presence.

light sweetness. very light lemonhead like flavor. malts were a bit dominant but blended with the sweetness.

light to moderate carbonation. not much dryness but a bit.

i was a bit let down by this. not as pronounced as i'd like or have come to known. lacks dominating flavors and is more or less a bit bland. overall, probably would not seek out that often but easy to drink.

hooliganlife, Apr 11, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

500ml bottle poured into a Berliner Kindl bowl.

A - Pours a golden amber color which is a touch darker than I expect out of this style of beer. A thin soda-like head falls quickly to the surface leaving behind only the never-ending replenishment supply of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the bowl. Crystal clear - a beer you can read thru.

S - Acetic, sour, some apple cider vinegar nature, some slight lemony flavor too. Not as fruity or delicate as I'd like to see here.

T - Sour, as expected, acetic acid, a bit buttery, no real fruitiness, dry, a bit minerally, somewhat champagne like. Some breadlike malt character too...a bit heavy for the style.

M - Mouthfeel is thin and watery with good medium high carbonation. Puckering and quite dry and crisp. Pretty good overall.

D - I've had a number of Berliner Weissbiers and this one stands out as different from all of the others I've had...more alcohol, more malt character, darker color...all seem to be a bit off for the style. This is still an enjoyable beer, but I would call it a bit flawed for the style.

portia99, Apr 03, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours golden, big white head. Lots of floaties.

S: Apple ciderish nose, citrus rind, accented with some must.

T/M: Tartness is present but subdued. Impression of lemons and yeasty bread. Light in body, high in carbonation.

O: A refreshing beer, excellent with a light meal with enough flavor to stand on its own. I liked the White Birch Berliner Weiss better, however.

zoolzoo, Apr 11, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

a 500ml bottle purchased for me from Jax in Cumming by OskarsBamaBlues for the clearance price of $2. Poured into its branded glass which is more of a weapon than a glass.

A: Very very light straw yellow color with quite a bit of carbonation at pour that disappears extremely fast. There is no lacing at all. According to the description the lack of head and lace is normal for the style.

S: The smell is an interesting lemony tart smell.

T: Quite a bit of lemony tartness from the first sip. You do not get much in the way of sweetness from the grain since the tartness is so much the life of the party, but it is there in the background. The tartness is even more overpowering in the finish. I can understand why people add syrup to make it less tart. If I had some, I would certainly try it.

M: Quite thin and almost watery. The tartness in the after taste leaves the mouth with an odd feeling that I can not describe. Once again, likely appropriate for the style so I won't dock it much.

D: This one is not drinkable at all for me due to the tartness.

GatorBeerNerd, Jul 22, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

This is a fascinating and amazingly interesting beer. It's not an appealing beer to behold, being a little cloudy and full of floaties. The head is a soda-pop fizz that fades as quickly as it forms. The aroma, however, is complex and intriguing. Sour-smelling, lactic, horse-sweat, funk, grass, and straw. It's not as appealing as a lambic's smell, but it is interesting, and will surely keep your nose engaged. The taste is not really sour..but very well balanced. More funk, and a very appealing crispness. It would be quite refreshing on a hot summer day (too bad I'm drinking it on a cold winter night). Light body, with a relatively low carbonation. Great smoothness and texture...I love the mouthfeel. All in all, this is not a beer that I'd go out of my way to drink, but it's a wonderful experience. Hail the funk!

Suds, Jan 23, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

500ml bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a hazy straw color. There's about one finger worth of white-colored head. Because the actual body looks fizzy, retention is poor. The soapiness of the head's texture also means that no lacing is left on the glass.

S: Like the style would suggest, there's a healthy lacto presence, expressing itself as funky, stank-ass cheese. Acidic notes are actually fairly prevalent. It's pretty simple, but a bit more balanced than most.

T: Tartness hits the palate first, but only very briefly. Wheat notes end up being the dominant flavor, especially around the mid-taste. If there's any flaw, it's that the finish seems a bit empty. I don't really care, though, because this is the first example of the style I'd call "good".

M: This has the kind of feel that works perfectly in hot weather: light-bodied, dry, fizzy, with a hint of lingering tartness. Really fizzy, in fact - the carbonation is almost brutal at times. Still goes down easily.

O: Out of the Berliner Weissbiers I've rated, not a single one has scored higher than a 3 from me. This, though, is actually quite solid. Beers like these are exactly why I never give up on a style I dislike. This would also make a great introduction to those who've never had the style before.

ThisWangsChung, Jul 03, 2014