Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
corby112

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a cloudy thick yellowish orange color with a one finger foamy white head that quickly disappears, leaving no lacing. Kind of sludgy looking and unappealing.

Citrusy aroma with hints of corriander and orange peel as well as some funky sour tartness. Slightly spicy with hints of peppery lemon zest.

Funky sour version of a heffe. Bready yeaty bosy with hints of corinader, lemon and orange peel as well as some subtle grapefruit and ripe banana. The tartness is subtle and not as dominant as I was expecting and/or hoping for. Slightly tart finish but otherwise just tastes like a muddy earthy german wheat beer.

11-02-2009 09:03:41 | More by corby112
froghop

Washington

3.2/5  rDev -22.1%

pours a semi-hazy sunshine yellow, with a large white bubbly head, live carbonation, and not much of a lacing.

smell is of wheat, light citrus, and a touch of spice.

taste is crisp, lots of lemon (too much), and yeast, ends on the sour side.

overall tastes better than it look or smells, refreshing, leaves mouth clean.

06-21-2009 00:10:12 | More by froghop
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

a huge wheatiness spews forth. spice also, and it really smells like a wit. as i would have expected: some tartness. the head was huge up front, and fell steadily. very light, slightly hazy

the tartness is quite a bit more prevalent in the taste, and really carries the rest of the flavor profile on its back. some sweetness, but the citricity is the most noticeable of the flavors. coriander and other spices come through. caraway?

12-05-2007 00:56:53 | More by bruachan

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH

11-03-2012 04:12:53 | More by IMSPEAKNOENGLISH
musicforairports

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours straw colored, cloudy as the bottle gets towards the bottom. Nothing really as far as head or lacing goes.

Smells like tart, lemony funk.

Taste is light, tart through and through. Dry lemon flavors, some barnyard-style funk and not too much else.

A bit fizzy and very light.

This one is as easy to drink as seltzer water. Nothing bad here at all, and while I've never had a Berliner Weissbier before, I'd like my sour beers with a bit more going on than this.

03-07-2011 02:20:10 | More by musicforairports
VaterRoss

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

Serving: poured from 500ml bottle into Blue Moon weizen glass.

Appearance: wow! huge frothing head that forced me to ease up on the pour. Clear straw yellow color with vigorous carbonation. Fun to watch the head from the top as it actually surges and bubbles for minutes.

Smell: dry with a hint of lemon citrus. Slight wheat smell.

Taste: dry with lemon, then you get the intense bitter sourness.

Mouthfeel: light, extremely carbonated and dry, slightly mouth puckering.

Overall: Very interesting, almost like a mix of a dry champagne and sugarless European citrus soda with some wheat grounding it in beer territory. While I am willing to try this style again, I found the dry sourness to be a bit intense. Luckily I was able to pair this with some food (baked salmon), but I do not think I would drink this without food.

12-22-2011 03:18:40 | More by VaterRoss
chefelf

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

07-25-2011 13:53:07 | More by chefelf
Knapp85

3.33/5  rDev -19%

This beer poured out as a very pale hazy looking yellow color. The head was white and had a light lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer was kind of on the tart side, wasn't really thinking it'd be like that but it was. The taste of the beer was also a little tart but subtle. They offered some Woodruff syrup to add into the brew and I found that to be interesting. I liked the beer more with the syrup which is probably frowned upon by some people. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall the beer was refreshing the tartness was tolerable and would probably be most enjoyed on hot days.

06-06-2011 04:08:02 | More by Knapp85
nick76

3.33/5  rDev -19%

The aroma has sour wheat, sour kraut, barley, and yeast with virtually no hops. The appearance is hazy with gold color and a nice head. The flavor is sour but not overly so and very much like the aroma. The palate is thin but just right. Overall it's close to being good.

11-09-2008 06:16:36 | More by nick76
adamette

3.33/5  rDev -19%

Live review. Poured from the "1 pint, .9oz" bottle that I purchased at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor a few days ago for $2.99 into my SN Anniversary Ale pint glass.

A Huge, 4 inch white meringue like head that stuck around for a few minutes. The head was very active, popping with carbonation as it dissipated rather quickly down to a trace island in the middle of the beer. Body is very light yellow, kind of boring. 3.5

S Effervescent, citrus, barley smells. Beer also smells "light." 3.0

T/M Very light feel, bubbly, effervescent with carbonation dancing across my tongue in a light, citrusy dance. Taste is not very strong frankly with some light citrus and distant barley tastes. I cannot say that I really like this taste as it is too distant for me. Festina Peche (the only other Berliner Weisse that I rated) was more flavorful. 3.0

D Highly drinkable and I am sure refreshing on a hot day, say after yardwork or something. This thing is that I would not reach for this in that situation, I would probably go with a more tasty and more available beer such as SNPA. 4.5

09-12-2009 02:57:37 | More by adamette
chinchill

South Carolina

16.9 oz bottle served in a snifter

A - light yellow with particles, plenty of sediment despite careful pour.

S - not entirely pleasant

T - Surprise! Pleasant and shockingly tart. Typical German weisse flavor underneath but dominated by slightly fruity tartness.

M - tartness is main feature of the mouthfeel.

O - not being a fan of middle-of-the-road German weisse, I actually prefer this tart variant.

05-12-2011 22:56:32 | More by chinchill
hooliganlife

Missouri

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

poured crisp clean yellow with hints of orange and copper. light fizzy head that quickly disappeared. little to no retention or lacing.

light vinegar with hints of funk and lemon. light malt presence.

light sweetness. very light lemonhead like flavor. malts were a bit dominant but blended with the sweetness.

light to moderate carbonation. not much dryness but a bit.

i was a bit let down by this. not as pronounced as i'd like or have come to known. lacks dominating flavors and is more or less a bit bland. overall, probably would not seek out that often but easy to drink.

04-11-2010 00:39:37 | More by hooliganlife
portia99

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

500ml bottle poured into a Berliner Kindl bowl.

A - Pours a golden amber color which is a touch darker than I expect out of this style of beer. A thin soda-like head falls quickly to the surface leaving behind only the never-ending replenishment supply of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the bowl. Crystal clear - a beer you can read thru.

S - Acetic, sour, some apple cider vinegar nature, some slight lemony flavor too. Not as fruity or delicate as I'd like to see here.

T - Sour, as expected, acetic acid, a bit buttery, no real fruitiness, dry, a bit minerally, somewhat champagne like. Some breadlike malt character too...a bit heavy for the style.

M - Mouthfeel is thin and watery with good medium high carbonation. Puckering and quite dry and crisp. Pretty good overall.

D - I've had a number of Berliner Weissbiers and this one stands out as different from all of the others I've had...more alcohol, more malt character, darker color...all seem to be a bit off for the style. This is still an enjoyable beer, but I would call it a bit flawed for the style.

04-03-2010 22:29:02 | More by portia99
zoolzoo

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours golden, big white head. Lots of floaties.

S: Apple ciderish nose, citrus rind, accented with some must.

T/M: Tartness is present but subdued. Impression of lemons and yeasty bread. Light in body, high in carbonation.

O: A refreshing beer, excellent with a light meal with enough flavor to stand on its own. I liked the White Birch Berliner Weiss better, however.

04-11-2011 23:08:52 | More by zoolzoo
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

a 500ml bottle purchased for me from Jax in Cumming by OskarsBamaBlues for the clearance price of $2. Poured into its branded glass which is more of a weapon than a glass.

A: Very very light straw yellow color with quite a bit of carbonation at pour that disappears extremely fast. There is no lacing at all. According to the description the lack of head and lace is normal for the style.

S: The smell is an interesting lemony tart smell.

T: Quite a bit of lemony tartness from the first sip. You do not get much in the way of sweetness from the grain since the tartness is so much the life of the party, but it is there in the background. The tartness is even more overpowering in the finish. I can understand why people add syrup to make it less tart. If I had some, I would certainly try it.

M: Quite thin and almost watery. The tartness in the after taste leaves the mouth with an odd feeling that I can not describe. Once again, likely appropriate for the style so I won't dock it much.

D: This one is not drinkable at all for me due to the tartness.

07-22-2009 02:35:41 | More by GatorBeerNerd
Suds

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

This is a fascinating and amazingly interesting beer. It's not an appealing beer to behold, being a little cloudy and full of floaties. The head is a soda-pop fizz that fades as quickly as it forms. The aroma, however, is complex and intriguing. Sour-smelling, lactic, horse-sweat, funk, grass, and straw. It's not as appealing as a lambic's smell, but it is interesting, and will surely keep your nose engaged. The taste is not really sour..but very well balanced. More funk, and a very appealing crispness. It would be quite refreshing on a hot summer day (too bad I'm drinking it on a cold winter night). Light body, with a relatively low carbonation. Great smoothness and texture...I love the mouthfeel. All in all, this is not a beer that I'd go out of my way to drink, but it's a wonderful experience. Hail the funk!

01-23-2011 02:30:21 | More by Suds
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a hazy straw color. There's about one finger worth of white-colored head. Because the actual body looks fizzy, retention is poor. The soapiness of the head's texture also means that no lacing is left on the glass.

S: Like the style would suggest, there's a healthy lacto presence, expressing itself as funky, stank-ass cheese. Acidic notes are actually fairly prevalent. It's pretty simple, but a bit more balanced than most.

T: Tartness hits the palate first, but only very briefly. Wheat notes end up being the dominant flavor, especially around the mid-taste. If there's any flaw, it's that the finish seems a bit empty. I don't really care, though, because this is the first example of the style I'd call "good".

M: This has the kind of feel that works perfectly in hot weather: light-bodied, dry, fizzy, with a hint of lingering tartness. Really fizzy, in fact - the carbonation is almost brutal at times. Still goes down easily.

O: Out of the Berliner Weissbiers I've rated, not a single one has scored higher than a 3 from me. This, though, is actually quite solid. Beers like these are exactly why I never give up on a style I dislike. This would also make a great introduction to those who've never had the style before.

07-03-2014 21:34:27 | More by ThisWangsChung
Pecorasc

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

Purchased on 2/10/10 from Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH, and consumed the same day. 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle poured into a short wide tumbler and split with my lady. Bottle is certainly verbose, boasting traditional mash hopping and no wort boiling, as well as dubbing this part of a "Historic Signature Series." The bottle gives a loud hiss upon opening and smells of lactic acid and honey.

A- Pours a polished pale straw to straw with no head in the center and a large-bubbled, active, white collar (not to be confused with a large, bubbled, active, white collar). This is the clearest of the Berliner Weissbiers that I've had the pleasure of laying eyes on (third of three). Achieving this amount of clarity without boiling must require filtering, no? Can filtering be considered "traditional"? I'm not sure if I should add or subtract points: I guess I won't do either. A handful of beading bubbles aggressively race to the surface. No lacing- I would like to blame that on the acidity, but as discussed below, that may not be the case.

S- Sweeter than expected: oatmeal, wheat, rice, maple syrup and brown sugar (only in sweetness, not in dark sugar character), and a fruity-apple character. A small amount of lactic bacteria influence and equally as little yeast character. Much too mellow in what is arguably this style's two most important categories. Smells eerily similar to the "king of beers" with an added small amount of lactic sourness.

T- The acidity is gone as quickly as it shows itself, and is minimal at best. Very balanced between wheat and pils malt flavors, although finishing on the wheat based, sweet side. A fruity, apple flavor blends in with the small amount of acidity in the beginning and continues on after the sourness subsides. This is an average beer with too little acidity (even for a Berliner Weissbier) to lift this much above average.

M- Medium bodied for 5.0% ABV with a moderate to high amount of sweetness in the finish. Doesn't look very carbonated, but once on the tongue, it really expands with an elevated amount of carbonation. Any amount of "swishing" makes the beer fizz uncontrollably. Good for the style, but doesn't finish dry enough.

D- Overall, this scores well above average for drinkability. But, compared to other beers within its own style, it probably scores just above average (taking into account my limited experience with this style). Not sure this really qualifies as a historic representation. At 5%, aprroaching the higher end for style. Refreshing, but not in the ways I was hoping for.

Nothing leads me to believe I didn't drink this in good condition, but looking at the other reviews I would really like to give this another try since I like the style and this does come from a reputable brewer of wheat based beer.

02-11-2010 04:00:26 | More by Pecorasc
facundoCNB

3.44/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a hazy golden yellow pour with a finger of bright white head. a very wheat based bready aroma, a slight peppery nose to it as well - not getting any of the aromas i'm used to in berliner weiss as far as tart/acidic goes. a funky flavor profile, slightly tart, a bit on the sour side, but very subtle. a very refreshing bready beer, however if you were looking for a battery acid type flavor you're looking in the wrong place.
light body with high carbonation and a slightly sour feel. this is a nice traditional beer, not as good as some of the others i've had, and definitely not as tart as the others out there but i can see this being a good introduction into the style for some people willing to expand their tastes.

07-28-2013 15:59:14 | More by facundoCNB
schwaeh

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Picked this up in Zanesville, being forewarned by my buddy that it was probably an older bottle; I hope it worked out in my favor. No bottle dating ugh...

A: Pours a transparent light honey-yellow color, crazy carbonation. This this thing's head blew up into a faygo style fizz mountain, quickly receding into a little bubble cap.

S: This isn't the aroma I would expect from this style, the main thing is a kinda old caramel malt aroma. Some bubblegum, lacto, aged hops, and malt. Along with caramel this really has a honey sweet aroma.

T: As soon as I drink this has a "I start off seeming tart so I'm gonna get super puckering" thing that never really comes to fruition. It has a a good wine tartness I get some apricot, white grape, an apple variety, and spicy wheat. I enjoy the white wine characteristics on the swallow, the wheat kinda washes them out on the finish a bit. There is a fair amount of oxidation to go around.

M: Fizzy in the mouth. Real slick and coating with a not-too-thin body. One of the highlights of the beer for sure.

O: I've loved the other representations of this style I've had before, so I had high hopes for this one. I'm pretty sure this was indeed an older bottle and this stuff doesn't hold up the best. I would feel bad about rating this lower but they can't bother bottle dating these. I'd have to pass next time, too big of a gamble when most of the other Euro brewers can manage to date.

Leaving it in the glass for a little bit seems to let this open up much better. Dry white wine really begins to take over.

02-11-2012 23:55:43 | More by schwaeh
gabeerfanswife

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Split a bottle with gabeerfan. I was anxious to try this as a different style of wheat beer I have not yet had. Its probably better closer to the source. I was a bit underwhelmed for all the hype.

A: No head at all. Looks more like wine or cider coming out of the bottle into the bulb glass. Also not cloudy either.

S: tart and wheaty; in line with the style

T: ehh...I am a big hefe fan and this took some getting used to. This is very fruity but is more like lemons and pears. No banana, no clove, no coriander. Really, it tasted a lot like pear cider to me; just dryer.

M: not much fizz at all.

D: I would like to try other brands in this style and would probably like this beer better closer to its source. Not sure I will be picking it up in the bottle again any time soon.

06-19-2008 00:49:39 | More by gabeerfanswife
Jmamay22

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a personal first for this style. From what I've gathered this beer should act as a good representation.

1809 pours a lively and somewhat hazy golden yellow. The active fizziness provides a white head that quickly disappears leaving only the golden beer.

Smells of tart lemon zest and contains a slightly grassy or hay like scent.

Very tart tasting, but not overwhelmingly so or causing me to reach for some syrup. Lemon qualities stand out more so than in the nose. Crisp and clean finish.

Mouthfeel is reminiscent of ginger ale with large active carbonation. Likely to style, but not to my tastes. Highly drinkable, but I wouldn't reach for another. Altogether a fairly straightforward beer that doesn't carry much depth. I don't see the call for syrup as necessary.

05-08-2008 19:30:33 | More by Jmamay22