Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

One of the very few I have tried and this by far has been the best its just unbelievably drinkable.Poured into a standard pint glass a dull lemon color with a sptritzy white head almost like a sparkling lemonade,a little funk was noticeable in the aroma wich is a bit unpleasant but it has a nice lemon pith note that makes it a little better.Non as mind numbing tart as the others I have had this has just enough tartness to make it refreshing and not mouth puckering a bit of wet grain as well but the lemony flavors linger for a long time they still are.Man would this be a summer quencher although I am not one to drink beer real cold I bet this would be the shiznit very cold on a hot day,very nice.

oberon, Oct 20, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Very interesting bottle. Label is informative.

While the appearance is very indicative of a berliner weisse, I have never liked it. Looks more like cider than beer. Probably both are just as acidic.

Smell has that musty grain, yeast, and some citric fruit.

Taste is up front sour/tart, with sweet grain coming after. Fruit flavors permeate the aftertaste. Banana, and a bit of lemon.

A bit sticky in the palate, but is still rather clean for the style.

Freshie, Oct 01, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

My first review was from 2007...suffice it to say my tastes have improved:

This is a nice cidery brew, which I normally hate, but this was carbonated and the sweetness is tamed. Very nice. Don't know what I was thinking the first time I reviewed.

From 2007:

App: Not that it is important, but I love the bottle. The beer itself has a thick head. Very pale, yet semi-opaque yellow.

Smell: Nice wheaty smell that you would expect from a Weisse.

Taste: I hate it. I'm sorry, but it tastes like someone poured lemon juice in my beer. Way too tart (even if that was what they were going for) for my liking.

Drinkability: Honestly, it was so tart it upset my stomach.

It's probably something where I just don't care for this style of beer, but I do love Weisse beers. It was just too sour for me to drink. I feel bad, because it is probably a good beer for most, but I have to give my honest opinion.

Amalak, Sep 25, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a mildly hazy pale yellow with a frothy two finger head that fades quickly to a thin cap. The lacing is a bit thin, leaving just a few rings behind. A little later the foam almost fades completely away.

Smell; this has a wheat malt dominated aroma at first, but as this warms up a bit some lemons, tart apples and a slightly musty aroma come out.

Taste; the wheat flavor is not quite as strong as i was expecting after the nose, but there's still enough to let you know that this is still a wheat beer. A mild mustiness come through in the middle followed by tart lemons and a bit of honey. Not quite as tart as I was expecting for a Berliner weiss, but still pretty darn good.

Mothfeel is light to medium bodied with a light carbonation that helps make this a refreshing warm weather beer.

RedHaze, Sep 22, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow body with a thick white head.

Smell: Aroma of sour wheat and tart lemon with a noticeable DMS character that smells distinctly of pot stewed veggies.

Taste: Faint, soft wheat flavors with a splash of lemon juice and merely a hint of sweetness. The DMS is much, much lighter - like adding an asparagus swizzle stick. Suspiciously refreshing finish that's both lightly sour and salty.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Not so bad, really. In fact, it's so tasty, I just HAD to tell the world!

ChainGangGuy, Sep 13, 2007
2.55/5  rDev -38%

*did not really mind would not buy*

app: icky cloudy yellow with white bubbly head

smell: oh no, smells like a heffe with some steamed greens in it. like canned spinach.

taste: lil sour lil bananas lil of the green smell sneaks in through the nose. mostly a sourish heffe

mf: nice alive and soothing

drinkable?: sure, sept for the greens

AndoBrew, Sep 08, 2007

Viggo shared this one. thanks eric!

500ml bottle.

pours bright yellow, almost flourescent, with just a touch of haze. a small dense ring of bubbles surrounds the glass.

aroma is nice. grain, crackers, white bread. bit of lemony sourness. a little earthy character too. just a hint of spice hiding in the background - clove maybe?

taste is nice. lemony sourness. bit of honey sweetness. crackers and a bit of grain. slightly acidic. just a hint of banana or something in the background that i can't quite place.

mouthfeel is good. medium-high carbonation level. fairly light body.

drinkability is good. light and refreshing. my first experience with this interesting style, and i really enjoyed it. definitely something i'll have to try again, and maybe attempt brewing myself.

grub, Aug 27, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a cloudy pale straw with massive head that dissipates slowly at first, and then? Where did it go?

Nose of wheat, faint lemon and sour apple.

Tart and refreshing, the taste pretty much evinces a wheat beer with faint lemon and green apple in evidence.

Feels close to medium bodied due to a coating effect on the palate, but the carbonation helps to give a clean taste.

Pretty drinkable, but I don't think I'd spend the bucks for a case of it.

techdiver, Aug 24, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +1%

According to the brown bottle I poured from this is brewed by Dr. Briem.
Poured cold into a traditional wheat glass and added sediment halfway through.

A - A light golden with slight haze. Yeast particulate dropped out immediately. The head is thin and white with compact bubbles. The bubbles continually stream vertically.

S - Nuts, spice, slight sour apple and citrus smell.

M - A nutty, highly effervescent with generally mild sour and spiced attributes.

T - Flavors of wheat and spice are dominant and a fruit flavor emerges next w/ subtle flavors of lemon and pineapple. A light vegetable (celery?) flavor comes in later.

Green apple and tea are some minor flavors that arrive in the finish.

D - A very tasty ale and the light sourness gives you just enough to continue wanting to drink the beer. The wheat and carbonation are refreshing and when the yeast is added even more grainy, nutty spice flavors show up. A bready quality is apparent and very enjoyable. Quite drinkable summer beer and big flavor for a 5% ale.

Slatetank, Aug 23, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an absolute perfect example of a berliner weisse. I can't imagine drinking it with syrup, though. It pours with little head, and it's a pale yellow with cloudy yeast. The aroma is slight lemon and light flowers with yeast. Mouthfeel is spritzy, the tartness of the taste changing the mouthfeel. Refreshing, light, and extremely quaffable. I'm glad the world's oldest brewery hasn't sold out.

elinash, Aug 21, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem, this beer is brewed as a collaboration between the Doemens Institute and Weihenstephaner. Half-liter bottle with loads of info, yet no freshness date; unpasteurized, unfiltered, and bottle-conditioned. Pours into the weizen glass a clouded, milky-yellow, lighter than a witbier, with high carbonation and a finger of white head that disappears, then reappears. It smells phenolic, spicy, almost funky, with tart, husky wheat, and a dash of hops. The flavor is similar, but adds a big lemon and yeast kick, a hefty lactic sourness, notes of banana, tart/nutty wheat, and a mild bitterness from the green/grassy/spicy hops. Its body is light, smooth, and almost dry, with medium carbonation and finish. My first experience with a Berliner Weisse - if this were a blind tasting, I'd call it a hefe gone sour... the intentional sourness, however, is pleasing and quite refreshing. Recommended, and worth seeking out.

mmmbeer, Aug 13, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Pours a hazy blonde body, like grapefruit juice, with a rapidly diminishing white head. Some patchy lacing left on the goblet. Aroma has a sour lactic note, with green apples and green banana skins in the forefront. Some wheat malt underneath. Light bodied with crisp carbonation and an acidic bite. Taste is tart and acidic. Green apples, wheat biscuits,and lemon drops dance around in the spritzy carbonation pool. Seems like a cousin to a Flanders Red Ale with its sour bite. Fascinating style that is supremely refreshing. Wish there were more breweries trying these.

merlin48, Aug 12, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

From the Weihenstephan brewery that makes one of my favorite Hefewiezens, this Berliner Weissbier seems to lack the intense sour luster of the Kindl Weisse. It does have a slightly sour element but is it so I enjoy that but the wheat and grain is the primary taste and smell. It seems to me like the hefe wiese soured.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Aug 10, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

eyes...
very much like many typical wheat beers, hazy and pale yellow, like murky lemonade, sizzling white head crackles away in mere seconds but carbonation is streaming up the glass all the live long day, it almost has a two toned hue aspect to it... good looking brew.

nose...
lemony seltzer with wheat base, nix that, the wheat is more up front and the lemon aspect is the last waft you encounter, ever notice how even seltzer sort of has an odor ? well, whatever that is (perhaps my over active imagination?) it is also in the mix. I am liking this...

taste etc...
sour, and I love it. The active carbonation and sourness make this devilishly refreshing... for me this is an excellent lazy hazy day of summer beer, I think the sourness may put off some but man this hits the spot after being trapped in traffic all day for work, it is nice, light and is session-able. the wheat taste is very much in the back here, much less so than in the aroma.. but I don't rightly care. the wheat comes out more as you go down the glass but not enough to dull the sour/refreshment factor.

verdict?
readily available by me.. I am going to buy more this summer without a doubt. I would recommend this to those who like geuze as well.

Ego, Aug 07, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

A quickly diminishing frothy white head covers a hazy pale yellow beer. Aroma is dry and sour...I'm not sure how else to describe it. Sweetly fruity in some sense, but mostly funky with a lactic sourness. The taste follows suit, but the sourness is not as upfront. Wheat appears cleanly before the tartness takes hold like funky lemon juice with an almost salty trace. Light bodied, dry, and very refreshing. My glass is empty already?

wedge, Aug 06, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours quite hazy, with a yellowish straw color and is topped by a frothy, initially three finger thick, fluffy, off-white colored head, which dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is quite aromatic, with aromas reaching my nose as I pour this beer; at first aromatic notes of clove and banana reach my nose (like found in a traditional German Hefeweizen). In fact even when I go in for a better sense of the aroma, these notes are still the most noticeable. There is a solid, grain-like wheat character, a light tartness, which gives the nose a hint of an edge, as well as fruity notes of lemon zest, apricot and green apple. Once you start digging around in the aroma a distinct, funky note reminiscent of cheddar cheese becomes noticeable. In fact once noticed, this funkiness becomes quite apparent; funky cheese, but a musty cotton thing, and some mushroom like notes. The funk, as it were, remains fairly subdued; this allows the traditional yeast and grain character to come through quite well; though I could certainly wish for a touch more funkiness in the nose.

The taste is quite a bit tarter than the aroma would suggest; it is by no means hard, but has a nice lactic edge to it that is immediately noticeable. Wheat and lightly kilned malt notes come through quite well, supplying a bread-like note as well as some soda cracker notes. Despite the fact that the head disappeared quickly, the beer is still quite well carbonated; this adds a zesty textural note of fizz as it hits the tongue. The beer is quite light and drinkable, though it is on the heavy side for a modern style Berliner Weiss. It also has a bit more alcohol than the modern versions, but given the allusions on the bottle, it seems to be trying to be a stronger, earlier take on the style. I would guess that a traditional Hefe-Weizen yeast was used here as those flavors are here too; notes of banana and clove are definitely distinguishable and are a welcome addition.

The second pour yields a taste that is a touch more yeast, and thus bread-like and perhaps a touch less tart. This is a tasty beer; I would be really curious as to how this will bottle condition over the years; I certainly wish I had more of this right now, so I will have to pick up a couple bottles the next time I have a chance. I think that this beer might get considerably better after some age on it.

Gueuzedude, Jul 31, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Interesting beer... is this specially brewed for the distributor here in America? Hmmm. Anyway, it pours the typical Berliner Weisse appearance with a slightly hazy golden body and short head of bright white foam. It offer the typical slightly-sour and mildly wheatish grainy nose, and it delivers the same tartness and graininess in the flavor. Hop flavors are not to be found, as expected, and the bitterness is next to nil, but not needed anyway. It could be a bit more sour like the Kindl Weisse, but at the same time this is probably a tad more accessible to the general public. And it's remarkably clean, which can sometimes be difficult in the production of this style. So, in an ever smaller world of Berliner Weisse, I'd say this has to come out within the top three. Well worth trying.

NeroFiddled, Jul 25, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1809 pours an absolutely beautiful golden color with a white head from a brown 16.9 ounce bottle. It definitely smells like a German wheat beer, banana and clove are noticeable, as is a lactic acid type of smell. I definitely get banana and clove at the end of the flavor, the middle is all lactic acid and citric flavors and I like it. The sourness here is refreshing, like a sour glass of lemonade might be. I like the mouthfeel, it's very carbonated in a champagne like way. A really good beer.

Drew966, Jul 22, 2007

Bottle at Tria cafe in Philadelphia.

Pours a proper hazy hue berliner weisse. Light fruity scents that are pronounced with the green woodruff syrup. Light tartness and elegantly sour. Clean finish and refreshing all the way. At first I went light on the syrup, then I added a few spoonfuls towards the end of the 16 oz'er bottle. Overall a proper style that went back easily.

blitheringidiot, Jul 13, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Brilliant clear gold body with a head that dissipates within a minute.

Sharp wheat scent accented by a tart lemon nose which finishes clove-spiked.

Everything in a standard weiss (wheat-y zing, lemon, yeasty) turned on its head with a bracing and refreshing sourness.

Thinner than I like from most beers and especially something in the weizen family. However, the mouth puckering finish is a big plus. When the weather is as hot as it is today in Chicago (95 and humid) something like this really hits the spot.

NOTE: I decided to concoct my own fruit syrup as I've heard such a mixture is added to Berliner Weiss' in their traditional setting. Using a mixture of blended peach and strawberry and a simple syrup strained through a mesh filter, I added the concoction to the beer. The appearance was dramatically improved upon by the resulting Champagne-esqe head with tremendous staying power. The taste was altered a good deal and was honestly (If I do say so) quite good but I wouldn't say better per se. It was simply different. If I were to choose, I would take the beer in its original form sans syrup and enjoy the sheer sourness and uniqueness of the experience.

malcontent, Jul 10, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance:
The beer pours pale straw yellow in color with a substantial haze, looks sort of like Orangina. A sizable rocky white head is quick to build but almost equally so to fall while leaving little lacing, probably the only draw back I would say is the wonky head retention on this beer.

Smell:
As is to be expected from Weihenstephan this beer smells great. There's a strong presence of bananas, lemon zest, sourdough bread, and a kick of nasty runners socks way in the back (love that funk!). There's some lesser notes of pepper and nutmeg but they are more apparent towards the end of the smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks light, crisp, and rather effervescently. Up front there's some dry wheat character partnered with a refreshing boost of sour lemon zest and a tinge of a switch of straw. The beer drinks a tad abruptly and finishes with a flavor that I could easily mistake for yellow Sour Patch Kids in a blind tasting. There's little aftertaste to note with an exception of about 3 seconds of funky wheat.

Drinkability:
This beer takes everything that is great about hefeweizen and makes it a tad more refreshing and crisp. It's hot and humid out and I couldn't be drinking a more satisfying beer.

Bottom Line:
My first dip in to this style and up until actually trying it I expected something more sour from what I've read. This is not the case, the beer is only mildly tart and it really only serves the beer well rather than being overwhelming like you might find in even domesticated lambic. Awesome beer.

Grundle20, Jul 05, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 500ml brown bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a slightly cloudy golden yellow/orange color with about two fingers of white foam. Smells of crisp wheat as well as a mild sourness. Taste is refreshingly sour, almost addictive, making you crave another sip. Lemon and yeast are also present. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation that works perfectly with this beer. An excellent warm weather beer. Wish I would have bought more than one bottle.

ClockworkOrange, Jul 03, 2007

Pours a cloudy straw color with a good initial head that fades fast. Smell is of hay, a slight lactic sourness, and a touch of grain. The flavor is surprisingly gentle. I was expecting and hoping for something a little more sour. The sourness is pleasant and quite yogurty, but I wanted something more brisk. In some ways this Berlinerweiss is more complicated than some others, and I like the taste, but I'm not sure or not if it is true to style.In any case, you won't be adding syrups to this one. Its also a little higher alcohol than most. Mouthfeel is creamy and delicious, but not as crisp as some. Drinkable if a bit different.

Georgiabeer, Jul 03, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

I first tried this beer at a National Geographic beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver, so I've had it before. But I didn't take good enough notes and kicked myself after the event when I didn't see the beer around town. Thank goodness it's back on the shelves in DC.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a decent white foamy head and lots of bubbles. Lots and lots and lots of bubbles. The new champagne of beers, anyone? The aroma is a lemony butter scent, or a buttery lemon scent, depending on how you want to look at it. Light and airy, it smells like a field of grass on a crisp spring day. Not overwhelming, but nice and to the point. Admittedly, I've never had a true Berliner Weisse in Germany (woe is I) but I truly love this style of beer. Kinda reminds me at times of the tart Flemish sour reds in the Belgian highlands. This definitely holds up. Tart and tangy, with a strong lemony/citrus zest, the 1809 packs a puckering punch and, in my opinion, is really really addictive. I could drink this beer all day (and perhaps all night). It's that good. Wonderful in the summertime especially. I can see why the Germans put flavored sweeteners in theirs, but I personally like this style just the way it is. Mouthfeel is crisp, but smooth, and finishes with dryness and a lingering tang. Gotta stock up on more of the 1809 for the rest of the summer.

Atlas1, Jul 03, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color and formed a huge foamy white head that refused to go away but eventually did, coating the glass with latticed lace. A heavy amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, banana, clove and yeast. The flavor was of hops, citrus and clove. The body is light and the finish is tart. Similar to in some ways to a hefe, but definately different flavor.

Wildman, Jul 02, 2007