Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Ratings: 1,292 | Reviews: 578
4.1/5  rDev 0%

From the Weihenstephan brewery that makes one of my favorite Hefewiezens, this Berliner Weissbier seems to lack the intense sour luster of the Kindl Weisse. It does have a slightly sour element but is it so I enjoy that but the wheat and grain is the primary taste and smell. It seems to me like the hefe wiese soured.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

eyes...
very much like many typical wheat beers, hazy and pale yellow, like murky lemonade, sizzling white head crackles away in mere seconds but carbonation is streaming up the glass all the live long day, it almost has a two toned hue aspect to it... good looking brew.

nose...
lemony seltzer with wheat base, nix that, the wheat is more up front and the lemon aspect is the last waft you encounter, ever notice how even seltzer sort of has an odor ? well, whatever that is (perhaps my over active imagination?) it is also in the mix. I am liking this...

taste etc...
sour, and I love it. The active carbonation and sourness make this devilishly refreshing... for me this is an excellent lazy hazy day of summer beer, I think the sourness may put off some but man this hits the spot after being trapped in traffic all day for work, it is nice, light and is session-able. the wheat taste is very much in the back here, much less so than in the aroma.. but I don't rightly care. the wheat comes out more as you go down the glass but not enough to dull the sour/refreshment factor.

verdict?
readily available by me.. I am going to buy more this summer without a doubt. I would recommend this to those who like geuze as well.

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

A quickly diminishing frothy white head covers a hazy pale yellow beer. Aroma is dry and sour...I'm not sure how else to describe it. Sweetly fruity in some sense, but mostly funky with a lactic sourness. The taste follows suit, but the sourness is not as upfront. Wheat appears cleanly before the tartness takes hold like funky lemon juice with an almost salty trace. Light bodied, dry, and very refreshing. My glass is empty already?

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours quite hazy, with a yellowish straw color and is topped by a frothy, initially three finger thick, fluffy, off-white colored head, which dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is quite aromatic, with aromas reaching my nose as I pour this beer; at first aromatic notes of clove and banana reach my nose (like found in a traditional German Hefeweizen). In fact even when I go in for a better sense of the aroma, these notes are still the most noticeable. There is a solid, grain-like wheat character, a light tartness, which gives the nose a hint of an edge, as well as fruity notes of lemon zest, apricot and green apple. Once you start digging around in the aroma a distinct, funky note reminiscent of cheddar cheese becomes noticeable. In fact once noticed, this funkiness becomes quite apparent; funky cheese, but a musty cotton thing, and some mushroom like notes. The funk, as it were, remains fairly subdued; this allows the traditional yeast and grain character to come through quite well; though I could certainly wish for a touch more funkiness in the nose.

The taste is quite a bit tarter than the aroma would suggest; it is by no means hard, but has a nice lactic edge to it that is immediately noticeable. Wheat and lightly kilned malt notes come through quite well, supplying a bread-like note as well as some soda cracker notes. Despite the fact that the head disappeared quickly, the beer is still quite well carbonated; this adds a zesty textural note of fizz as it hits the tongue. The beer is quite light and drinkable, though it is on the heavy side for a modern style Berliner Weiss. It also has a bit more alcohol than the modern versions, but given the allusions on the bottle, it seems to be trying to be a stronger, earlier take on the style. I would guess that a traditional Hefe-Weizen yeast was used here as those flavors are here too; notes of banana and clove are definitely distinguishable and are a welcome addition.

The second pour yields a taste that is a touch more yeast, and thus bread-like and perhaps a touch less tart. This is a tasty beer; I would be really curious as to how this will bottle condition over the years; I certainly wish I had more of this right now, so I will have to pick up a couple bottles the next time I have a chance. I think that this beer might get considerably better after some age on it.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Interesting beer... is this specially brewed for the distributor here in America? Hmmm. Anyway, it pours the typical Berliner Weisse appearance with a slightly hazy golden body and short head of bright white foam. It offer the typical slightly-sour and mildly wheatish grainy nose, and it delivers the same tartness and graininess in the flavor. Hop flavors are not to be found, as expected, and the bitterness is next to nil, but not needed anyway. It could be a bit more sour like the Kindl Weisse, but at the same time this is probably a tad more accessible to the general public. And it's remarkably clean, which can sometimes be difficult in the production of this style. So, in an ever smaller world of Berliner Weisse, I'd say this has to come out within the top three. Well worth trying.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1809 pours an absolutely beautiful golden color with a white head from a brown 16.9 ounce bottle. It definitely smells like a German wheat beer, banana and clove are noticeable, as is a lactic acid type of smell. I definitely get banana and clove at the end of the flavor, the middle is all lactic acid and citric flavors and I like it. The sourness here is refreshing, like a sour glass of lemonade might be. I like the mouthfeel, it's very carbonated in a champagne like way. A really good beer.

Bottle at Tria cafe in Philadelphia.

Pours a proper hazy hue berliner weisse. Light fruity scents that are pronounced with the green woodruff syrup. Light tartness and elegantly sour. Clean finish and refreshing all the way. At first I went light on the syrup, then I added a few spoonfuls towards the end of the 16 oz'er bottle. Overall a proper style that went back easily.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Brilliant clear gold body with a head that dissipates within a minute.

Sharp wheat scent accented by a tart lemon nose which finishes clove-spiked.

Everything in a standard weiss (wheat-y zing, lemon, yeasty) turned on its head with a bracing and refreshing sourness.

Thinner than I like from most beers and especially something in the weizen family. However, the mouth puckering finish is a big plus. When the weather is as hot as it is today in Chicago (95 and humid) something like this really hits the spot.

NOTE: I decided to concoct my own fruit syrup as I've heard such a mixture is added to Berliner Weiss' in their traditional setting. Using a mixture of blended peach and strawberry and a simple syrup strained through a mesh filter, I added the concoction to the beer. The appearance was dramatically improved upon by the resulting Champagne-esqe head with tremendous staying power. The taste was altered a good deal and was honestly (If I do say so) quite good but I wouldn't say better per se. It was simply different. If I were to choose, I would take the beer in its original form sans syrup and enjoy the sheer sourness and uniqueness of the experience.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance:
The beer pours pale straw yellow in color with a substantial haze, looks sort of like Orangina. A sizable rocky white head is quick to build but almost equally so to fall while leaving little lacing, probably the only draw back I would say is the wonky head retention on this beer.

Smell:
As is to be expected from Weihenstephan this beer smells great. There's a strong presence of bananas, lemon zest, sourdough bread, and a kick of nasty runners socks way in the back (love that funk!). There's some lesser notes of pepper and nutmeg but they are more apparent towards the end of the smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks light, crisp, and rather effervescently. Up front there's some dry wheat character partnered with a refreshing boost of sour lemon zest and a tinge of a switch of straw. The beer drinks a tad abruptly and finishes with a flavor that I could easily mistake for yellow Sour Patch Kids in a blind tasting. There's little aftertaste to note with an exception of about 3 seconds of funky wheat.

Drinkability:
This beer takes everything that is great about hefeweizen and makes it a tad more refreshing and crisp. It's hot and humid out and I couldn't be drinking a more satisfying beer.

Bottom Line:
My first dip in to this style and up until actually trying it I expected something more sour from what I've read. This is not the case, the beer is only mildly tart and it really only serves the beer well rather than being overwhelming like you might find in even domesticated lambic. Awesome beer.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 500ml brown bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a slightly cloudy golden yellow/orange color with about two fingers of white foam. Smells of crisp wheat as well as a mild sourness. Taste is refreshingly sour, almost addictive, making you crave another sip. Lemon and yeast are also present. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation that works perfectly with this beer. An excellent warm weather beer. Wish I would have bought more than one bottle.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a good initial head that fades fast. Smell is of hay, a slight lactic sourness, and a touch of grain. The flavor is surprisingly gentle. I was expecting and hoping for something a little more sour. The sourness is pleasant and quite yogurty, but I wanted something more brisk. In some ways this Berlinerweiss is more complicated than some others, and I like the taste, but I'm not sure or not if it is true to style.In any case, you won't be adding syrups to this one. Its also a little higher alcohol than most. Mouthfeel is creamy and delicious, but not as crisp as some. Drinkable if a bit different.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I first tried this beer at a National Geographic beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver, so I've had it before. But I didn't take good enough notes and kicked myself after the event when I didn't see the beer around town. Thank goodness it's back on the shelves in DC.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a decent white foamy head and lots of bubbles. Lots and lots and lots of bubbles. The new champagne of beers, anyone? The aroma is a lemony butter scent, or a buttery lemon scent, depending on how you want to look at it. Light and airy, it smells like a field of grass on a crisp spring day. Not overwhelming, but nice and to the point. Admittedly, I've never had a true Berliner Weisse in Germany (woe is I) but I truly love this style of beer. Kinda reminds me at times of the tart Flemish sour reds in the Belgian highlands. This definitely holds up. Tart and tangy, with a strong lemony/citrus zest, the 1809 packs a puckering punch and, in my opinion, is really really addictive. I could drink this beer all day (and perhaps all night). It's that good. Wonderful in the summertime especially. I can see why the Germans put flavored sweeteners in theirs, but I personally like this style just the way it is. Mouthfeel is crisp, but smooth, and finishes with dryness and a lingering tang. Gotta stock up on more of the 1809 for the rest of the summer.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color and formed a huge foamy white head that refused to go away but eventually did, coating the glass with latticed lace. A heavy amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, banana, clove and yeast. The flavor was of hops, citrus and clove. The body is light and the finish is tart. Similar to in some ways to a hefe, but definately different flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy golden straw yellow body with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. The head is a big soapy white that fades quickly to a thin ring.

S- The crisp clean smell of wheat has a slight tart note to it but it is very clean.

T- The slight tart note has a hint of lemon and a light fresh wheat followed by a note of club soda. The finish is a light cider note with a hint of mead flavor.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a very dry finish.

D- This beer has a light tangy note but it is very filling. This beer is smooth but there is not much depth of flavor and the tartness is a bit too soft to keep in interesting.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 pint 0.9 oz bottle served in a Kindl Weisse glass. I'm very happy to find a new (to me) Berliner Weisse. It pours a hazy straw color with a finger of head that falls to a patchy coat over the beer. Haze is prevalent and carbonation is rapidly escaping from solution. Just as expected. The nose is definitely in the realm of hefeweizen, with a banana/clove ester present along with a lemony citric tinge and a lactic acid sharpness. I really like the character brought to the style with the hefe characters. The flavor hits immediately with a lemony tartness and lactic bite that fades to a creamy banana and clove character, rounding out with a strong wheaty creamyness. Enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to moderate with a moderate carbonation. The acidic character leaves some stringy spit behind, making me want some water to go along with it. Overall, this one is very nice. This is a beer to sit and drink on a nice warm day...no syrup needed. The hefe base to it really adds a dimension to this one that I don't recall from other experiences with the style. I will be drinking this one again, and soon.

Slightly beat up bottle no freshness date
Chilled and poured aggressively into a nonic, pure white head rose and dissipated rapidly. The body is hazy blond with lighter milky tones around the edges (reminiscent of orange juice that has sat around and the majority of fruit separates from the water). Tiny bubbles are present and maintain subtle carbonation. Smells of yeast up front with notes of citrus, lemon, maybe even slight hint of green apple.
Taste is crisp and refreshing with a mild sourness not terribly dissimilar to sucking on a lemon, however more subdued. I get tiny hints of sour apple and lemon with those same yeast flavors, a generous acidity and tartness, which IMO is specific to lactic bacteria and differs from brett.
I also want to mention that label states that traditionally this style was mashed hopped and not boiled, which is extremely interesting.
Given this is my first experience tasting the style, but after reading it would seem that this is true to the style. Its also quite tasty, drinkable and refreshing. Although it really doesn’t require fruit syrup it would be interesting to taste the beer

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Amazingly refreshing sour power. This is not for reveryone, beautiful creamy appearance with light yellow/beige body. All the foam cuddles the tart product in creaminess and malt. And all this at 5%
Commercial Description highlights:
It is bottle-conditioned, unfiltered and unpasteurized. "1809" will age beautifully in a dark and cool location. Its complex fruitiness and tartness will most likely develop in quite astonishing ways. “1809” is fermented in traditional open fermenters and horizontal lager tanks. The applied mashing regime is a single step decoction mash with 50 % wheat malt.The total amount of hops is added to the mash so that isomerisation takes place in the decocotion part of the mash. The wort is not boiled but only heated up to boiling temperature and then transferred to the open fermenters and pitched with yeast and lactic acid bacteria (isolated from malt) at 18 °C (64°F).

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first of the style.
Pours out a beautiful cloudy gold with a big frothy head, which settles slowly with craters forming.
The smell is really nice...earthy yeast , a bit of citrus and funk.
The taste is excellent...starts barely sweet and wheaty ...quickly a sourness hits...not overpowering..just right ..acidic...there are some hints of banana way in the background and citrus rind bitter. It finishes smooth , doughy and sour , and leaves a dry , tart aftertaste.
I understand that the Germans sometimes add something fruity to flavor this , but I can't imagine messing with this wonderful beer.
Mouhtfeel is also very good...velvety microcarboation.
Very , very drinkable.
A little pricey , but probably worth it once in a while.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

marching through Prussia
stopping for a refreshment
Napolean's beer

I have never had another Berliner Weisse so I have no basis for comparison but this beer is amazining. It pours a thick hazy golden body with a head that quickly thins out. The taste has a lactic bitterness, somewhat like good yogurt, with citrus presence as well. Apparently Napolean loved this shit.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was $6.20 at Downtown Liquors in Boston, expensive, but Im glad I got a chance to try it.

Pours a hazy straw color with a wispy head that quickly turns to a thick ring and some patches. The carbonation is very active, creating whirlpools at the surface. Citrusy, wheaty, fruit estery, woody aromas fill the nose. Minimal sourness shows in the nose as well. Cidery acidity greets my tastebuds upon first sip. Tangy wheat malt, ginger, cloves, and orange flesh flavors all abound. Even some herbal hops make a showing. The mouthfeel is medium with a creamy subtle carbonation feel. The finish is tart and citrusy with a bit of lingering spice.

The balance between sourness and traditional weissbier flavors work really well. This is a fantastic beer, and If its representative of the style, I like this style. Its like a lambic without the funk.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

I found this on a tip from another beer site and after I reported seeing it, I decided to try it out as a new one on me. It poured well into hazy golden orange cloud in my bodum insulated glass which produced the scents of hops and grapefruit.

My first taste through the generous head started with a light cream that went bitter and then stopped with a tart snappiness. It was interesting to try this as it could be good palate clearing light ale. One of the other reviewers noted the sour elements which I also came across as I drank this further.

As for its long term drinkability, I do not think this would be an all night kind of beer, but would be better suited to getting used to first.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle, with a lot of cool history lessons, but absolutely no indication Weihenstephan makes this stuff.

Pours opaque gold with a fine, quickly-dissipating head. When I say opaque, I mean opaque even for an unfiltered German wheat beer-- the only thing you can see through this glass is beer. About ten seconds later, there is not even a trace of a head. Weird.

The aroma is awesome-- typical banana custard esters with hints of mixed fruits and just a drop of funk. Based on other reviews, I was expecting this style to be heavy-handed and ridiculously ridiculously infected, but at least from the aroma, it's complex and enticing.

Opens up with yeast character and banana esters that quickly blow up into refreshing, mouth-puckering sourness, apple cider, and oranges. Lingering yeast and lactic acid sourness mingle to create a fantastic fruity finish.

The yeast gives this beer a nice medium body, but acidity rules the mouthfeel. It works.

This beer is light and refreshing; to me, at least, it's pretty damned drinkable.

I could see how this would be a really easy style to mess up, but this beer just nails it.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

In my opinion, if there were to be a pyramid hierarchy of beer flavors, sour would be at the top. I think sour takes the longest to acquire a taste for, and can be one of the most sublime. As such, I really liked this beer.

This beer poured a hazy gold/straw color with lots of fluffy head. Aroma was light clove and sourness. Flavor was also a blend of sour and cloviness. I felt this beer was less sour than Berliner Kindl Weiss. I had this beer with a meal, and I noticed a pleasing fruitiness as the beer warmed which was really a nice complement to my meal. Mouthfeel was soft and champagne-like. I really thought highly of this beer.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

There's a reason that Weinhenstephan has been around for a thousand years...

The bier pours a light yellow, with a lemonade appearance. A bright white head climbs up the side and stays. The head settled slowly. The aroma is of lemons, bananas (mostly yeast) and wheat. I didnt smell any hops.

I taste what I smell, banana, wheat and lemon. After the bier rolls of my tounge I get a little hop bite and finishes with yeast and wheat.

The mouthfeel is good. Light and refereshing. A good lawnmower drink.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great beer. I really didn't expect to like this after having hated the Berliner Kindl-Weisse so much, but this one is very different. Just a light tartness and still very refreshing.

The beer pours fairly clear at first, but after mixing in the sediment, it looks like a witbier. Very pale yellow, almost white with all of the light reflecting off the sediment. Has a nice lofty head with great retention and washy sheets of lacing. Unexpectedly very little apparent carbonation.

The smell is awesome. Just a light lactic tartness with a strong citrus twang. Quite lemony with a soft sweet wheat malt aroma and undertones of banana. Even more subtle hints of spice. Almost smells like a malt based lemonade, but in a good way (not like Lienie Summer Shandy, or something like that).

The taste is phenomenally refreshing. Up front, flavors of banana and wheat come in to play, but as it is forced down the palate a light tartness takes over. Great lemon zest flavor. The finish is very dry with no lingering aftertaste. Only a hint of spice, perhaps coriander. Very easy to drink. I may have to try this with a hit of syrup sometime.

The body is quite light and dry. The carbonation is so light it almost can't be felt on the palate. If it weren't for the lactic acid burn, this would seem almost flat. I am going to make this my new summer drinker, though I may have to take it easy at $5 a half liter.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem