Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
JoshJayne

04-24-2012 15:36:01 | More by JoshJayne
dfitch81

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

I love beer, but every now and then I get into a kind of beer doldrums where nothing sounds good and I'm temporarily bored of all my usual favorites. When this happens, I find that the best way to cast off my beer blues is to find something new and different: 1809, in this particular case. I've wanted to try this brew for some time, but at $5.99 the price was usually enough to make think "I'll try it next time." Damn I'm glad I bit the bullet this time. Appearance is dramatic - I popped off the cap and a fountain of tart-smelling fizz burst out. Glad I had it over the sink... Poured into my hefeweizen glass, 1809 had a towering puffy white head which slowly dissipated to leave a constant layer of froth on the surface. The beer itself looks like liquid wheat and is impenetrably cloudy. The smell of wheat is unmistakeable, but I've never smelled a wheat-beer quite so sour as this. Taste is even more tart than the smell suggests - flavors akin to sour green apple, under-ripe nectarine and grape skin are dominant. The sourness, while extreme, is not in any way unpleasant (quite the opposite), which is good because the tartness lingers on your palate long after you swallow. Mouthfeel is prickly with tenacious carbonation, but otherwise a bit spritzery - could use some more body. Drinkability is good for the style, but this certainly isn't anything you'd want to drink all night. Still, I find it enjoyably different. 1809 is certainly a special beer, and although I wouldn't seek it out as a staple, I look forward to revisiting it.

12-10-2008 03:27:26 | More by dfitch81
BacklitAvenger

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - This is straw yellow. Pale in color with a bright white head that pops and fizzes and throws off a puff or two of foam and leaves copius lacing.

Smell - There's some lemon here for sure, this even smells tart. After my first experience with Duchesse du B I'm glad I do not detect acetic acids or funk. I will try in the future the sours I encounter to attempt to retrain and expand my palate, but as far as sours go this is rather good for me. Pure lacto, no brett, no acetic odor and flavor.

Taste - Inoffensive taste of light grains, with a large burst of juicy lemon and lactic tartness. This is a simple beer with a one-dimensional sort of flavor, but as a summer quencher it hits the mark perfectly. A tad bit sweet to my tastes, with a rather restrained maltiness. White grapes in the background, sourness, tartness, like ripe fruit. Reminds me of white wine or champagne in some way, not sure exactly what as they don't taste too much alike.

Mouthfeel - A spritzy carbonation level means that even a pour beyond gentle into geriatric territory brings forth a three finger head or so. The carbonation boueys up the lovely tartness.

Drinkability - High, especially in some hot weather, when the cold effervescence and tart flavors refresh to excess!

07-10-2009 01:23:18 | More by BacklitAvenger
MrSquash

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

06-22-2013 02:51:04 | More by MrSquash
quinnsi

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass

At first, and clear orange-golden color, with two solid fingers of rocky head. But the real story here is the ridiculously violent carbonation. It's truly at alka seltzer levels! I could watch this beer all night, and to be honest, it's one of the deciding factors when ordering. All of this changes once the sediment it poured in. The beer takes on a lemony-orange, hazy hue, and all carbonation goes away. One of the coolest visuals of any beer I've had.

The beer is somewhat aromatically challenged, with slight tart fruit and minerals coming through for me.

The beer tastes as carbonated as it looks, which actually works well with the tart, acidic citrus flavors. The wheat seems to provide a nice soft backdrop.

Very enjoyable beer, which drinks easy and is very thirst quenching on a warm day.

09-18-2009 04:22:04 | More by quinnsi

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

marching through Prussia
stopping for a refreshment
Napolean's beer

I have never had another Berliner Weisse so I have no basis for comparison but this beer is amazining. It pours a thick hazy golden body with a head that quickly thins out. The taste has a lactic bitterness, somewhat like good yogurt, with citrus presence as well. Apparently Napolean loved this shit.

05-31-2007 00:56:21 | More by philberinghele
quirk6

06-03-2013 19:26:39 | More by quirk6
mbrandon2w

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours hazy straw color. Lots of carbonation. Aroma is slightly sour, lemony/citrusy. Mouthfeel is spritzy, a bit like champagne. There's a pleasant tartness and nice citrusy flavor. A tad too sweet. It would be a nice refreshing beer on a hot day. Overall enjoyable

12-01-2007 00:46:20 | More by mbrandon2w

10-02-2013 22:05:29 | More by BigPapaMolar
haggadah

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a 'Berliner Weisse'--a sour wheat bear that used to be (in the 1800s) the most popular beer in Northern Germany. Syrups are sometimes added to this style of beer to cut the sourness. Napoleon himself praised this beer as the "Champagne of the North". It's a cross between champagne and beer: sharp, rather tart, and very very bubbly. The citrus is light and delicious. A great--and fun--summer drink. Sip, don't gulp this one.

12-23-2013 19:29:54 | More by haggadah
7ate9

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Cloudy gold color with a big bubble fluff head that dies to nothing and leaves no lace. fine.
Smells a bit farty sadly. Smells like wine that's been left on the lees for too long. Anaerobic decomposition stank. A bit eggy. Some h2s smellies? Or like a half jug of apple cider you forgot you had in the back of your fridge. Not entirely unpleasant but not so nice.
MMM taste is clean tart and refreshing with absolutely no hint at all of the stinksies in the nose. Not complex but so nice to quaff. Lemon and cider with a bit of wet grain on the swallow.
Carb is lively and inviting and it goes down nice a easy.
I wish that nose was a bit cleaner. I understand the process lends itself to that...but not all of 'em I've had have a stank. With my experience so far with this style I've liked the American versions much better than the german versions. This one is alright and nice to quaff.

05-13-2011 21:02:19 | More by 7ate9

frDan

08-10-2014 22:48:58 | More by frDan
JeffV

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a great gold color with some cloudy yeast floating around. It is clearer at the bottom than on top.

Smells great. A little soury. Kind of sweet.

This is amazing. Elegant and Refreshing. I wish I could have this by the keg for the summer time.

Very nice mouthfeel. Enough said.

The tartness might be a little much for a long session but this is a terrific beer and I'd like another.

02-22-2009 03:24:45 | More by JeffV

Delaware

03-22-2014 01:40:36 | More by msimone372
elinash

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an absolute perfect example of a berliner weisse. I can't imagine drinking it with syrup, though. It pours with little head, and it's a pale yellow with cloudy yeast. The aroma is slight lemon and light flowers with yeast. Mouthfeel is spritzy, the tartness of the taste changing the mouthfeel. Refreshing, light, and extremely quaffable. I'm glad the world's oldest brewery hasn't sold out.

08-21-2007 00:51:57 | More by elinash
Petrislav

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into pint glass

A: Vigorous bright white champagne bubble head, pale gold and hazy with sediment

S: Sweet, acidic like a sparkling wine, dry, fruity, many different smells and aromas, complex

T: Not as fruity or dry as champagne, has notes of grape/white fruit, tart

M: Tart, sweet and bubbly

04-30-2010 21:18:57 | More by Petrislav
scoots511

A: Pours a fizzy white head, bigger bubbles that disappear at a higher rate. Looks nice and clear, turned cloudy towards the end of the bottle when the yeast was stirred up a bit.

S: Lemon, sour some malt

T: Lemon, slight sour, slight acidic taste. I could still taste some of the tartness when I licked my lips.

M: Nice fizzynness reminiscent of a lower carbonated deus, etc

O: Light and lightly tart, refreshing concoction, it actually reminds me of my wifes prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) a bit. This was my first berliner weiss, it seemed nice I've rated it 4's across the board.

10-25-2011 02:02:27 | More by scoots511
kiya

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

A great label design on this one...
Pours a golden yellow with a light head that disappears within a minute. The initial scent is that of a overripe pear with a strong barnyard and wet hay scent that seems quite strong for a Berliner Weisse.
The flavors are intense even when straight out of a fridge. There's crisp apples, hard cider, and a lot of lemon flavor. The lemon accent is extremely strong and goes very well with the more dark grassy scents coming off the top of this beer. Throughout the glass the beer continues to be heavily carbonated, giving it a very light feel. The balance is perfect on all levels, its crisp and clean yet has strong notes of a deeper beer on the nose.
One of the best BW styles i've had.

01-06-2013 02:44:53 | More by kiya