Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,246 | Reviews: 564
3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a clear pale honey color with a small white head that leaves a crown.

Smells like a lemon explosion. Reminds me of a white wine. Very acidic, white grapes, sour apple, hard to pick out the malt.

Tastes like a lemon explosion. It tastes more like a tart pinot grigio than a beer. The malt comes through at the end as a pale dry wheat and is quickly drowned out by the after-effect of the tartness.

Light but a little sticky, very tart and with so much acidity it's hard to pick out detailed flavors because my glands are secreting as much saliva as possible in response to the tartness. Something of a confusing experience.

This was not at all what I was expecting. However, re-evaluated under the category it actually fits, it appears to be a fairly complex and interesting brew.

But it still is like a whole tree of lemons exploding in my mouth.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a hazy light yellow with a huge head and a ton of carbonation.

Aroma is bubblegum, green apple, hay and loose tobacco.

Taste is similar to the aroma with wheat and some green apple tartness, but not super tart. I don't pick up any lacto. The finish is relatively dry and slightly tart.

Overall, this was somewhat of a disappointment. It just tasted like a boring, fizzy wheat beer with a little bit of tartness. I'll conclude that I prefer the modern American Berliners with a more robust lacto component than this traditional Berliner.

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%

16.9oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A - the color is reminiscent of a dehydrated person's urine. pale yellow. A tall white head quickly formed and then quickly dissipated...kind of like pouring 7-up or sprite into a cup. Even though there was no head, there was continual carbonation making its way to the top of the beer. very unappetizing appearance

S - lactic acid, wheat, and grape jelly?

T - way too dry for my enjoyment. I'm not sure whether the tanginess is due to the lactic acid, the wheat, or both. If it's because of the lactic acid then there was no malt flavor to notice. It was a very, tart, sour fruit flavor with a very acidic, biting quality to it. The beer was dry throughout.

M - a very bubbly beer, like champagne.

D - i was not a fan of this beer.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a chalice.
A: misty pale orange. Look close to see the bubble party around the perimeter. Though I poured carefully, there are sediment parties as well.

S: slight frutiness with Brett wildness on the nose. Oh, did I forget to mention the sharp sourness.

T: sour. Need I say more? Yes I need. Earthy wild Brett yeast and bready wheat balance the sourness very well.

M: light and refreshing

O: great sessionability, though a little pricey. I would drink again.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A-hazy light yellow with a strong 2 finger head, carbination noticable
S- strong citrus notes,lighter pilsner wheet favor comes in as well
T- Sour and Funky upfront but not overwhelming. Sour apples, lemons and a wheat beer mixed togeather. Nice balance.
M- Light, crisp and carbonated.

Overall, I like this syle and this was the best one Ive had so far. It is really a crisp refreshing beer, would have no problem drinking these all day long in the summer

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

16.9 - quite a fancy bottle.

A - straw golden, almost urinish. Fizzy bit of head that dissipates quickly. Not a lot to keep it up. a little bit of yeast at the bottom.

S - the wheaty, light hoppy notes of a hefeweizen, but with a sourness...wtf is this stuff...I did not know what a Berliner Weiss was before I got this

T - hmm, crispy fresh wheat beer flavor in the front, then unexpectedly, a sourness appears! This is pretty interesting and quite delicious. a very dry finish. dont know if it's all lactic acid, but there seems to be some citrus in the front as well. very interesting.

M - effervescent

D - good...good...if this came in cans I'm sure I would be toting it everywhere. Hard to find but this is a relatively rare style (only 7 beers listed on BA) with a great contrasting flavor profile. Big fan - get it if you see it and see what this style is all about.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into my Hill Farmstead tulip. Big ups to the guys at HF for a bottle of this. Buying massive amounts of beer pays off.

A - Cloudy straw coloring with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Yeasty goodness with a slightly sour aroma. There is even a very slight banana in there.

T - Now that's a prototypical Berlinner. Taste follows the nose with yeasty sour goodness. Not overly tart, staying within the style, at least in this lushes opinion.

M - Light on the mouthfeel, the beer seems to just cruise down the back of your throat. Very slight creaminess to it.

O - This is a go to Berlinner. It's widely available and is just fantastic. It may not be elite but for the price and the availability, DO IT!

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

On Tap @ The Devil's Den

Look: Pale golden color, cloudy - yeasties dancing all over, with a head that dissipates very quickly

Smell: Lemon zest, vanilla, wheat, acid funk - very aromatic

Taste: Up Front: Nice and tart, lemon zest. Finish: Sweet. Good balance of malt and wheat flavors

Mouthfeel: Thin, and very smooth

Drinkability: Super quaffable session beer! Uber refreshing! Not sure how many I could have in a row. I'll have to test that one day.

Overall Impression: This is a style that will appeal to people that enjoy Tart Belgian Ales, and Wild Ales. I strongly recommend against getting the syrup poured into it, thus making it a foofoo girly drink.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Had this particular beer multiple times, with different aged bottles. This one immediately doesn't seem to have the bright tartness I've found in other bottles, but interesting nonetheless...

Appearance: Really pale golden/honey colored body. Really active carbonation is visible. Nice head retention, with some really strong stickiness.

Smell: Lots of grass and earthier, almost spicy notes on the nose...along with some lemongrass. I pick up some light mustiness along with a distinctive sweetness. No real hop presence to speak of, unless it's lingering in that musty and herbal area...which I think would be really great.

Taste: Well, there may have not been a very bright tartness on the nose, but it certainly makes itself known upon the first sip. Great dryness accompanies a really clean tartness, which carries some lemon and citric qualities. I detect some perceivable bitterness here that wasn't really apparent on the nose, which works nicely with such a dry finishing beer. The aftertaste is especially neutral, and not bombarding on the palate...I plan on pairing this with food in the near future.

Mouthfeel: This is yet another strong point for this beer, the fact that the mouthfeel is so light and effervescent. This is an exceptionally easy drinking beer, which remains refreshing while still having those intricate flavor complexities. This is truly a wonderful beer to drink thanks to it's crispness, it's tartness, and it's accessibility.

Overall: A really awesome beer that I love to keep around the house. It's a really solid entry-level "sour," and it's pretty easy on the wallet. I don't really have anything else to say about it, that isn't just reiterating what i've already said...

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Split into a 12oz tulip.

Pours a mild yellow, though reveals a good brown note. Mild fizzy head that dissipates rather quickly.

Nose is very dry. Like sniffing a dry chardonnay. Earthy notes, a bit of citrus on the edges with a sour/funk that reminds me of cutting into an unripe lemon. Or grapefruit for that matter.

Light, mild citrus notes. Mild spice character. Lingering sweetness, though mild. Did I say the flavors presented are mild? Big bite in the front, but after that resides, the "weisse" part takes over.

Clean finish, crispness and a fizzy mouthfeel. An experience.

A testament to the style and a fine example of what it should be, although, it is rather bland and lifeless. If you could consider this to be the "banner bearer" of berliner weisse, then I can see plenty of room for which this style could grow. Regardless, an excellent summer style and beer.

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.51/5  rDev -14.4%

thanks to ejeffer11 for this; poured into my stone snifter

a - pours a beyond opaque straw gold and this one's a bubbler! more than a three finger head that died after a few minutes, leaving no lacing whatsoever.

s - spicy german yeast, plenty of herbals in there as well

t - this one started colder than it should have and all i could taste was tart early on. as it warms an apply tart dominates. those with me thought it tasted watered down, which i only half bought into. the german yeast if very present throughout as well.

m - medium bodied with tons of carbonation, which i balanced the tartness nicely. a sipper for me.

o - this was my intro into berliner weissbiers, so i don't have a lot for comparison. but it was good as an after dinner beer to sip on while drinking. i definitely prefer lambiks and russian river sours in comparison, but it was great to try a german sour.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

A- Poured from a 20oz bottle into a Pilsner glass. Pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice 1/4" head. I left the yeast in the bottle.

S- Peaches for sure. I am pretty confident there are none in this style but I smell them very strongly. Some mild sourness comes through on the nose too.

T- Peaches again and some apples too. You would think they are in there. You get the wheat backbone also. The sourness is not over-powering, not quite as high as a lambic or wild ale.

M- Really highly carbonated. This is perfect for this style. Nice and crisp like a refreshing soda.

D- I could drink this all day. I am making a homebrew version of this later this month and I cannot wait to have it here to drink this summer. This is a beer you could drink 4 or 5 of.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this from a 16.9 bottle. It pours a hazy straw color with an immediate head from an aggressive pour which dissipates in a swirl of bubbles that continue to rise from the beer for a long time after the pour

Smells like fresh green apples, not the crap apples you buy in stores that are 2lbs and genetically modified. A real apple. Probably granny smith.

Taste is a bit sour with a sweet finish kind of a like an apple champagne or something like that.

Mouthfeel is light and champagney.

Worth a shot!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem