Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

draftpunk, Apr 07, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

There's a reason that Weinhenstephan has been around for a thousand years...

The bier pours a light yellow, with a lemonade appearance. A bright white head climbs up the side and stays. The head settled slowly. The aroma is of lemons, bananas (mostly yeast) and wheat. I didnt smell any hops.

I taste what I smell, banana, wheat and lemon. After the bier rolls of my tounge I get a little hop bite and finishes with yeast and wheat.

The mouthfeel is good. Light and refereshing. A good lawnmower drink.

balconybrew, May 11, 2007

A - Light golden color, good clarity, with a very small head.
S - Very clean smell, slight lacto aroma, and some wheat.
T - Good malt flavors, with a noticeable but not overwhelming lactic sourness.
M - Medium light bodied with a good carbonation.

This beer was good, it has a fuller body than I would expect, and the lactic acid flavors could be more pronounced. Very drinkable beer though.

donaldchapman, Jul 17, 2008

bevenson, Nov 23, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought out a case of this at my local liquor store, god I love this stuff...
Pours with a vigorus head, fluffy and bright white, the aroma of tart stone fruit, yeast, fresh bread are very present and welcomed. The beer is very effervescent which knocks up the sediment in the bottle, no matter, just got to pour it well and slow. The taste is great, that's why the beer is great. I don't think this as being a traditional beliner weisse, but I don't really care, it's freaking good. To me it is more of a tart, blonde ale, there is a bit more meat on this beer than I normally expect from BWs, and it is welcomed, again. Mouthfeel is very prickly, but not prickly enough from gulping this beer down, it is just absolutley refreshing.

Overall, final summation: Buy and drink the Sh1t out of this beer when you can find it.

Cheers!

OldPenguinHunter, Jun 13, 2012

Matty123, Jul 22, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(BA / BJCP)

Cloudy pale yellow. Exploding white, creamy heads hold remarkably well. Effervescent.
(3.5 / 2)

Light grainy malt. Medium light lemon, and apple. Moderate lactic sourness. No hops.
(4.5 / 11)

Light grainy sweet malt. Moderately light citric fruitiness. Medium light lactic sourness begins the long dry finish and ends with a slight citric sweetness aftertaste. No hops. No alcohol.
(4.5 / 18)

Very light body, very high carbonation. Airy, fluffy, delicate mouthfeel. Effervescent.
(4 / 4)

Quite refreshing, pale, and subtly sour beer. Citric fruitiness adds some pleasant complexity. Soft lactic sourness adds a refreshing quality. Nothing over-the-top, nothing vastly complex -- and I am completely OK with that!
(4.5 / 9)

( 4.4 / 44)

Grohnke, Jul 11, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - A very pale yellow with a lingering finger of white, frothy head.

S - Smells strongly of yeast/wheat, green apples, and white grapes.

T - This one is only mildly tart. Reminds me of a tart lager.

M - Medium-light body; not very carbonated.

O - A good beer but not one worth hunting down. I prefer the American BW's which seem to be a bit more tart.

BobaFret, Jun 21, 2013

GPGURU, Jul 13, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass creating immediate gigantic white head, which was gone as quickly as it appeared.
Pale and hazy golden straw-colored appearance.
Yeasty with citric aromas.
Refreshing, lightly sour and tart, light notes of lemon and lime.
Fizzy, light sourness then lemony.

My first try with Berliner Weissbier and I love it. Super refreshing.

Piotrek, Jul 21, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

A tasty beer, but one that seemed a bit absent. It had clear undertones of a hefeweizen beer, excepting some citrus and bright flavors independent of the sour, with obvious wheat and spice just to remind you of its origins from zee Germans.

As for the sourness, it just didn't come through. Present yes. But not in force. For something claiming to be this historical recipe by zee great doktor, lekturer and bier maker fritz briem, I thought it was a little flaccid.

Clearly above average in category and way above average in beers overall. But a lackluster turnout. It's a hefeweizen that has gone sour. Too much wheat character.

I'd give it an 83/100.

woolybully67, May 06, 2014

MikeEhrmantraut, Jan 11, 2013

Antnego, Jul 14, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

I love beer, but every now and then I get into a kind of beer doldrums where nothing sounds good and I'm temporarily bored of all my usual favorites. When this happens, I find that the best way to cast off my beer blues is to find something new and different: 1809, in this particular case. I've wanted to try this brew for some time, but at $5.99 the price was usually enough to make think "I'll try it next time." Damn I'm glad I bit the bullet this time. Appearance is dramatic - I popped off the cap and a fountain of tart-smelling fizz burst out. Glad I had it over the sink... Poured into my hefeweizen glass, 1809 had a towering puffy white head which slowly dissipated to leave a constant layer of froth on the surface. The beer itself looks like liquid wheat and is impenetrably cloudy. The smell of wheat is unmistakeable, but I've never smelled a wheat-beer quite so sour as this. Taste is even more tart than the smell suggests - flavors akin to sour green apple, under-ripe nectarine and grape skin are dominant. The sourness, while extreme, is not in any way unpleasant (quite the opposite), which is good because the tartness lingers on your palate long after you swallow. Mouthfeel is prickly with tenacious carbonation, but otherwise a bit spritzery - could use some more body. Drinkability is good for the style, but this certainly isn't anything you'd want to drink all night. Still, I find it enjoyably different. 1809 is certainly a special beer, and although I wouldn't seek it out as a staple, I look forward to revisiting it.

dfitch81, Dec 10, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - This is straw yellow. Pale in color with a bright white head that pops and fizzes and throws off a puff or two of foam and leaves copius lacing.

Smell - There's some lemon here for sure, this even smells tart. After my first experience with Duchesse du B I'm glad I do not detect acetic acids or funk. I will try in the future the sours I encounter to attempt to retrain and expand my palate, but as far as sours go this is rather good for me. Pure lacto, no brett, no acetic odor and flavor.

Taste - Inoffensive taste of light grains, with a large burst of juicy lemon and lactic tartness. This is a simple beer with a one-dimensional sort of flavor, but as a summer quencher it hits the mark perfectly. A tad bit sweet to my tastes, with a rather restrained maltiness. White grapes in the background, sourness, tartness, like ripe fruit. Reminds me of white wine or champagne in some way, not sure exactly what as they don't taste too much alike.

Mouthfeel - A spritzy carbonation level means that even a pour beyond gentle into geriatric territory brings forth a three finger head or so. The carbonation boueys up the lovely tartness.

Drinkability - High, especially in some hot weather, when the cold effervescence and tart flavors refresh to excess!

BacklitAvenger, Jul 10, 2009

MrSquash, Jun 22, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass

At first, and clear orange-golden color, with two solid fingers of rocky head. But the real story here is the ridiculously violent carbonation. It's truly at alka seltzer levels! I could watch this beer all night, and to be honest, it's one of the deciding factors when ordering. All of this changes once the sediment it poured in. The beer takes on a lemony-orange, hazy hue, and all carbonation goes away. One of the coolest visuals of any beer I've had.

The beer is somewhat aromatically challenged, with slight tart fruit and minerals coming through for me.

The beer tastes as carbonated as it looks, which actually works well with the tart, acidic citrus flavors. The wheat seems to provide a nice soft backdrop.

Very enjoyable beer, which drinks easy and is very thirst quenching on a warm day.

quinnsi, Sep 18, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

lord_jordo, Oct 07, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

marching through Prussia
stopping for a refreshment
Napolean's beer

I have never had another Berliner Weisse so I have no basis for comparison but this beer is amazining. It pours a thick hazy golden body with a head that quickly thins out. The taste has a lactic bitterness, somewhat like good yogurt, with citrus presence as well. Apparently Napolean loved this shit.

philberinghele, May 31, 2007

quirk6, Jun 03, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours hazy straw color. Lots of carbonation. Aroma is slightly sour, lemony/citrusy. Mouthfeel is spritzy, a bit like champagne. There's a pleasant tartness and nice citrusy flavor. A tad too sweet. It would be a nice refreshing beer on a hot day. Overall enjoyable

mbrandon2w, Dec 01, 2007