Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007)
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Trying to get more Berliner Weisse's under my belt. This is the first I'll review. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow or blonde color. Some floaters made it in there. No lacing and minimal head that fades to absolutely nothing. Not very impressive, but true to style.

Smell: Light vinegar, green apple, and mild tartness. Tough to dig much up in this, the aroma is not very strong.

Taste: Not as sour as I would've thought. Seems the tartness is up front mixed in with a good amount of carbonation and segues to the middle and is all but gone by the finish, which is thin. Light vinegar and apple flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thin. Not quite watery, but close. No lingering carbonation or bitterness in the end, just a funky aftertaste from the tartness and vinegar. Sourness is up front.

Drinkability: I could drink this until the vinegar and acidity got to me. Thin enough to drink forever though.

Not bad. I feel like I might've gotten an old bottle. I'll be sure to revisit it as I go through the rest of the Berliner Weisse's I've acquried.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

Purchased on 2/10/10 from Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH, and consumed the same day. 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle poured into a short wide tumbler and split with my lady. Bottle is certainly verbose, boasting traditional mash hopping and no wort boiling, as well as dubbing this part of a "Historic Signature Series." The bottle gives a loud hiss upon opening and smells of lactic acid and honey.

A- Pours a polished pale straw to straw with no head in the center and a large-bubbled, active, white collar (not to be confused with a large, bubbled, active, white collar). This is the clearest of the Berliner Weissbiers that I've had the pleasure of laying eyes on (third of three). Achieving this amount of clarity without boiling must require filtering, no? Can filtering be considered "traditional"? I'm not sure if I should add or subtract points: I guess I won't do either. A handful of beading bubbles aggressively race to the surface. No lacing- I would like to blame that on the acidity, but as discussed below, that may not be the case.

S- Sweeter than expected: oatmeal, wheat, rice, maple syrup and brown sugar (only in sweetness, not in dark sugar character), and a fruity-apple character. A small amount of lactic bacteria influence and equally as little yeast character. Much too mellow in what is arguably this style's two most important categories. Smells eerily similar to the "king of beers" with an added small amount of lactic sourness.

T- The acidity is gone as quickly as it shows itself, and is minimal at best. Very balanced between wheat and pils malt flavors, although finishing on the wheat based, sweet side. A fruity, apple flavor blends in with the small amount of acidity in the beginning and continues on after the sourness subsides. This is an average beer with too little acidity (even for a Berliner Weissbier) to lift this much above average.

M- Medium bodied for 5.0% ABV with a moderate to high amount of sweetness in the finish. Doesn't look very carbonated, but once on the tongue, it really expands with an elevated amount of carbonation. Any amount of "swishing" makes the beer fizz uncontrollably. Good for the style, but doesn't finish dry enough.

D- Overall, this scores well above average for drinkability. But, compared to other beers within its own style, it probably scores just above average (taking into account my limited experience with this style). Not sure this really qualifies as a historic representation. At 5%, aprroaching the higher end for style. Refreshing, but not in the ways I was hoping for.

Nothing leads me to believe I didn't drink this in good condition, but looking at the other reviews I would really like to give this another try since I like the style and this does come from a reputable brewer of wheat based beer.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A: cloudy, yellow pour with thick, white 1 inch head. I left the large clump of sediment in the bottle.

S: Amazing! The wheat and the lacto blend nicely in the nose. There's some lemon, grass and banana also.

T: Once again I'm really liking the wheat and the sour together. The lemon and banana are there also.

M: Nice and crisp! It's so refreshing and perfect on a summer day.

D: Very, very high! This beer really took me by surprise. I had no idea that the Germans messed with lacto. This was the perfect blend of wheat and lacto (that's the 3rd time I said that). I can't wait to find more beers in this style. This would be a great intro to sours!

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

November 6, 2014

500 ml bottle, tulip

A – Huge, three to four inches plus, fluffy, dense, creamy white head, slowly droping down to a few centimeters sitting on top of a straw to very light gold. Hazy, fairly thin appearance.

S – Lemon, bright citrus, and tartness and lactobacillus. Very fresh, slightly creamy. Some floral, earthy, and citric hop bitterness.

T – Lemon is highly prominent, the lactic acid from the lactobacillus is very tart but not mouth-puckering. Very little malt or hop flavor, if any. A refreshing brightness to the flavor.

M – Very highly carbonated, but a somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Feels thick and sudsy. Tartness is not overwhelming. Extremely dry finish.

O – Not quite what I expected in my first Berliner Weisse, as the tart is fairly mild in comparison to the standard in the style. However, this is an excellent, tasty, very refreshing beer, that I could go back to over and over again.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Poured out a pale, hazy yellow with about two fingers worth of head that completely faded. When I say completely faded, I do mean completely. There was no collar, no cap, nothing and with that obviously no lacing.

Smell: Tart, fresh squeezed lemon juice is on the forefront. Following the lemon is an almost vinegar like acidic sour kick. Further in the background is some spicy wheat malt. It's not overly complex, but it smells very nice.

Taste: Continuing from the smell this really does have a nice tart sourness that is akin to biting on a lemon. Both in flavor and in acidity. It doesn't have the vinegar twang that was present in the smell. Complementing this perfectly is the spicy wheat malt that reminds me of a good hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel: The yeast provides a nice medium body with a fairly high level of carbonation that seems to work for this beer. It's very crisp and refreshing with a drying finish.

Drinkability: As I mentioned a second ago this is very refreshing and the sour aspect of it is pleasant and not overpowering. The drying finish makes me want another sip.

Overall I really didn't know what to expect of the Berliner Weisse. But this is an extremely delicious and refreshing beer. It almost reminds me of a hefeweizen on some kind of sour jag. It's very tasty, now if only it was easier to track this stuff down in Michigan!

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer since I haven't really had a Berliner weissbier before but this beer is awesome! Has a light acidity that makes it dry and refreshing. Not sweet nor bitter just very pleasant and palatable. I could definitely see this paired with chicken or maybe even fish entrees since the lightness of the beer would enhance without competing with the flavors. This is also a beer I would be comfortable sharing with non-beer geeks/craft beer novices as well as beer snobs. I could see how some more experienced beer geeks might find this beer a bit too subtle, but I find this beer to be extremely well crafted

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a three finger head that dissipates into nothing. This beer is off-white, it looks exactly like cloudy lemon-aid. I am oddly attracted to its unique looks despite having no head and rather large pieces of sediment floating around it.

S: Lactic acid sourness, a note of wild yeast, and a bit of biscuity malt. Fairly aromatic and smells great. Warn leather is definitely present in the aroma.

T: A nice lemony though lactic-like sourness starts the taste off. The taste soon fades into a nice warn leather like note, while revealing the complexities of the wild yeast, and then finishing with a quick, clean, and sour bite. The bite makes you want to take another sip. The malt is a little overshadowed by the sourness and funkiness from the wild yeast (though the funkiness is super-restrained).
The faintest amount of weisse-like malt backbone comes through when you least expect it, fading in and out with every sip. Fruity esters, including apple and banana, are prevalent in the aftertaste.

M: Not light bodied, but not quite medium bodied. A bit thin for a weisse, though carbonated well enough to create a creaminess in the mouth. A little thin overall, extra body would help this one.

D: Very refreshing, very drinkable. I could drink this one all day (though I am a sucker for sours).

O: My first example of such an elusive style of beer. I wish that more breweries would take this style seriously, this style has incredible potential. As usual, this happens to be an excellent beer from the World's oldest brewery.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Got a bottle at Olive Tree Market in OB, thanks Mike!

Cap came off with an assertive pop, nice.

A friendly pale yellow, completely clear. Huge white head of bubbles that quickly disappear. Slight ring of bubbles around the rim. Bubbles coming from the bottom the whole time, from my non-etched glass. No lacing.

Aroma is earthy, wheaty, some citrus peel combo I can't quite figure out - lemon and orange peel? Bread dough.

Taste: moderately light body, some dull citrus, noticeable tartness on the tongue. The wheat and bready aroma are also noticeable in the taste. Hints of a white grape wine, very slight sweetness. Lemon, lemon peel. A clean finish in the beginning, although the pucker builds up after a few sips. The tartness is not overpowering, actually not as intense as I assumed it would be. Seems to be extremely balanced, not too sweet or citrus-heavy as many domestic Berliners.

Goes down very well. I would love to try this in Germany to see how the shipping affects it. A shame we can't get 6 packs of Berliners here in San Diego, this would be a great summer session beer. I might have to pour one in a pepsi can for the beach ;)

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a tulip

a: hazy straw yellow with looks to be lots of carbonation. Large head that goes away

s: kinda of sour, some funk, straw, slight barnyard smell which isn't off-putting

t: sour lemon and lactic acid, some sweetness

m: tart, bubbly with a dry finish... enjoyable on a hot summer afternoon

I like this beer and wish to try more in the style. This is refreshing in the heat.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Poured from bottle into Westy Chalice

App- Golden, cloudy with no head.

Sm- Very astringent. Green apples and pineapple.

Ta- Lots of delicious lactic balanced by a good full wheatiness. Fruits from the yeast play with the acid in there: pineapple, apricot and grapefruit.

MF- Very light carbonation which allows everything else to show off. Good wheaty mouth feel.

Dr- Awesome. Could drink all day.

Stellar brew. Total treat. Wish it was easier to get. I can't imagine a better beer to use as an introduction to sours. I really liked Dogfish Festina Peche and this puts it to shame.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

My first time trying a Berliner Weissbier after reading and hearing about this ancient style for a long time. Grabbed it at the Port Bottle Shop. Poured with little head, a lot of rising bubbles and pretty damn clear. The yeast in the bottle was highly compacted at the bottom. Aroma was rather odd, and not what I was expecting. Mostly lemony tartness and some yeasty smells. Tastes of tart tropical fruits, under ripe grapes, lemon peel and a lactic quality that doesn't dominate but is very evident. The mouthfeel is light but prickly with a good carbonation level. Very dry though and would go very well on a super hot day. High drinkability if the time is right, but I wouldn't want to drink it right after eating something sweet, or on a cold night.

Overall very unusual beer but highly enjoyable. They said on the bottle it is mash hopped and uses no wort boil. Strange. I think I'm a fan of the style now.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle (no experation date) into a weizen glass.

Big huge fluffy head typical of wheat beer.

Aroma was very citrusy with a little musty funkiness.

Had very pleasent citrusy tartness. Didn't hit you in the jaw like a lambic, but had a nice sour taste. Highly carbonated and refreshing. Would be great on a hot day.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Truly a barometer for the style. Pours with a huge densley carbonated white head (4 fingers?) that doesn't stick around too long unfortunately, but is true to style. This hazy blonde fills out a Weiss glass in style.

The nose on this beer is truly a pleaser. Tropical fruit and yeastiness explode from the glass.

The beer does not disappoint on impact. This takes the traditional Weiss style and adds a kick of sour-fruity tartness (think lactic acid). The tight carbonation adds to the flavor profile and gives this beer a very refreshing quality. Truly a great summer beer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%