Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,248 | Reviews: 564
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Cloudy golden wheat, the head bubbles up like alka-seltzer, and doesn't stick around very long.

S: Smell reminds me of sparkling champagne, with all the subtle nuances: sour apple, lemon, and lime.

T: It taste somewhat like the smell, lot of really crisp and tart notes, focusing on sour apple, lemon, and lime, in that order.

M/D: Loads of carbonation in the mouth feel, it even holds bubbles down to the last drop. Very clean and crisp. I really enjoy this, it is only my second beer from this style, but taste great. Perfect for the time, summer and heat. I would definitely drink this again.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

A- pours a crisp, slear goldeen yellow with a very bubbly white head that disipates quickly, no lacing. alot of active carbonation.

S- lemon zest, lemonade, spices, yeasty bread qualities.

T- similar to the nose. alot of sour lemon zest ip front that finishes with a little dash of spice. very refreshing for a hot day.

M/D- medium-light bodied, high carbonation. very refreshing and quite appealing.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Thought I would give a Berliner Weisse a try. I know this is a reproduction, but it was all I could find at the local brew spot.

Very cloudy straw like color. Pours with an aggressive bleach white head that quickly recedes. Tight tiny bubbles persist.

Smell is similar to a typical german weisse, but with a fruity sour note.

Very tart and fruity. Strong lemon-like citrus flavor. No noticeable hop or malt flavor. Almost reminds me of a tall refreshing glass of lemonade. The tartness is very similar to sucking on a vitamin c tablet(which strangely, I kind of like).

I drank this out of a true Berliner Weisse bowl that I had received long ago. I know this glass is designed to drink with woodruff or fruit additives, but what the heck.

This is a beer that I could drink all day long on a hot summer day.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%

Fizzy overflow upon popping the cap. Big ol’ white head sits atop a liberally carbonated hazy yellow body: hard to fault the appearance of this one – stunning in a curvy hefe glass with a an even pancake of a head that sticks around for the long haul. Has the musty sort of lactic aroma associated with many wheat/Belgian styles; it’s citric, and there’s an aromatic sandalwood type smell. The carbonation jolts my throat – flavor is subtle but refreshing: light bodied, lemony, tart, and dry. Nice.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Served from pint bottle into Belgian tulip. Pale straw, rather opaque. Head dissipates quickly.

S: Creamy wheat with citrus fruit and herbal notes. Light and pleasant, not sour at all.

T: Light sour notes, more apple and light drinking yogurt than lemon. Reminds me of Federweisser, the partially fermented fresh wine drink.

D: High due to lively acidity and carbonation. Would be great with pizza or savory crepes.

Overall this is the first Berliner Weisse I have tried and I must say that the style is to my liking. Great beer.

Edit: If you don't like the sour taste, drink it with something greasy. Having it with Camembert cheese now and can hardly feel the sourness.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Trying to get more Berliner Weisse's under my belt. This is the first I'll review. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow or blonde color. Some floaters made it in there. No lacing and minimal head that fades to absolutely nothing. Not very impressive, but true to style.

Smell: Light vinegar, green apple, and mild tartness. Tough to dig much up in this, the aroma is not very strong.

Taste: Not as sour as I would've thought. Seems the tartness is up front mixed in with a good amount of carbonation and segues to the middle and is all but gone by the finish, which is thin. Light vinegar and apple flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thin. Not quite watery, but close. No lingering carbonation or bitterness in the end, just a funky aftertaste from the tartness and vinegar. Sourness is up front.

Drinkability: I could drink this until the vinegar and acidity got to me. Thin enough to drink forever though.

Not bad. I feel like I might've gotten an old bottle. I'll be sure to revisit it as I go through the rest of the Berliner Weisse's I've acquried.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Purchased on 2/10/10 from Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH, and consumed the same day. 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle poured into a short wide tumbler and split with my lady. Bottle is certainly verbose, boasting traditional mash hopping and no wort boiling, as well as dubbing this part of a "Historic Signature Series." The bottle gives a loud hiss upon opening and smells of lactic acid and honey.

A- Pours a polished pale straw to straw with no head in the center and a large-bubbled, active, white collar (not to be confused with a large, bubbled, active, white collar). This is the clearest of the Berliner Weissbiers that I've had the pleasure of laying eyes on (third of three). Achieving this amount of clarity without boiling must require filtering, no? Can filtering be considered "traditional"? I'm not sure if I should add or subtract points: I guess I won't do either. A handful of beading bubbles aggressively race to the surface. No lacing- I would like to blame that on the acidity, but as discussed below, that may not be the case.

S- Sweeter than expected: oatmeal, wheat, rice, maple syrup and brown sugar (only in sweetness, not in dark sugar character), and a fruity-apple character. A small amount of lactic bacteria influence and equally as little yeast character. Much too mellow in what is arguably this style's two most important categories. Smells eerily similar to the "king of beers" with an added small amount of lactic sourness.

T- The acidity is gone as quickly as it shows itself, and is minimal at best. Very balanced between wheat and pils malt flavors, although finishing on the wheat based, sweet side. A fruity, apple flavor blends in with the small amount of acidity in the beginning and continues on after the sourness subsides. This is an average beer with too little acidity (even for a Berliner Weissbier) to lift this much above average.

M- Medium bodied for 5.0% ABV with a moderate to high amount of sweetness in the finish. Doesn't look very carbonated, but once on the tongue, it really expands with an elevated amount of carbonation. Any amount of "swishing" makes the beer fizz uncontrollably. Good for the style, but doesn't finish dry enough.

D- Overall, this scores well above average for drinkability. But, compared to other beers within its own style, it probably scores just above average (taking into account my limited experience with this style). Not sure this really qualifies as a historic representation. At 5%, aprroaching the higher end for style. Refreshing, but not in the ways I was hoping for.

Nothing leads me to believe I didn't drink this in good condition, but looking at the other reviews I would really like to give this another try since I like the style and this does come from a reputable brewer of wheat based beer.

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A: cloudy, yellow pour with thick, white 1 inch head. I left the large clump of sediment in the bottle.

S: Amazing! The wheat and the lacto blend nicely in the nose. There's some lemon, grass and banana also.

T: Once again I'm really liking the wheat and the sour together. The lemon and banana are there also.

M: Nice and crisp! It's so refreshing and perfect on a summer day.

D: Very, very high! This beer really took me by surprise. I had no idea that the Germans messed with lacto. This was the perfect blend of wheat and lacto (that's the 3rd time I said that). I can't wait to find more beers in this style. This would be a great intro to sours!

4.51/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 11-04-14

Look - Pours a hazy pale yellow, almost white, with a huge fluffy wheat head. Very good bubble distribution. No clinging. 4 paws.

Smell - Super funky, with lots of yogurt and fruit. Strawberry cream and a bit of citrus. Very inviting. 4.25 paws.

Taste - Not super sour, in fact not very sour at all, even for a Berlinerweisse. Funky, yogurt, citrus rind, and a bit of the strawberry pops up. Surprising slight bitter undertone. 3.75 paws.

Feel - Somewhat viscous feel, like diluted milk. Sharp tingle at the front of the tongue, mild tingle on the sides. Very easy drinking. 4 paws.

Overall - A very nice Berlinerweisse. I would have liked a bit more pucker, but the yogurt funk is very nice. Overall a very good beer. 4.25 paws.

Meow beer.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: Poured out a pale, hazy yellow with about two fingers worth of head that completely faded. When I say completely faded, I do mean completely. There was no collar, no cap, nothing and with that obviously no lacing.

Smell: Tart, fresh squeezed lemon juice is on the forefront. Following the lemon is an almost vinegar like acidic sour kick. Further in the background is some spicy wheat malt. It's not overly complex, but it smells very nice.

Taste: Continuing from the smell this really does have a nice tart sourness that is akin to biting on a lemon. Both in flavor and in acidity. It doesn't have the vinegar twang that was present in the smell. Complementing this perfectly is the spicy wheat malt that reminds me of a good hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel: The yeast provides a nice medium body with a fairly high level of carbonation that seems to work for this beer. It's very crisp and refreshing with a drying finish.

Drinkability: As I mentioned a second ago this is very refreshing and the sour aspect of it is pleasant and not overpowering. The drying finish makes me want another sip.

Overall I really didn't know what to expect of the Berliner Weisse. But this is an extremely delicious and refreshing beer. It almost reminds me of a hefeweizen on some kind of sour jag. It's very tasty, now if only it was easier to track this stuff down in Michigan!

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer since I haven't really had a Berliner weissbier before but this beer is awesome! Has a light acidity that makes it dry and refreshing. Not sweet nor bitter just very pleasant and palatable. I could definitely see this paired with chicken or maybe even fish entrees since the lightness of the beer would enhance without competing with the flavors. This is also a beer I would be comfortable sharing with non-beer geeks/craft beer novices as well as beer snobs. I could see how some more experienced beer geeks might find this beer a bit too subtle, but I find this beer to be extremely well crafted

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a three finger head that dissipates into nothing. This beer is off-white, it looks exactly like cloudy lemon-aid. I am oddly attracted to its unique looks despite having no head and rather large pieces of sediment floating around it.

S: Lactic acid sourness, a note of wild yeast, and a bit of biscuity malt. Fairly aromatic and smells great. Warn leather is definitely present in the aroma.

T: A nice lemony though lactic-like sourness starts the taste off. The taste soon fades into a nice warn leather like note, while revealing the complexities of the wild yeast, and then finishing with a quick, clean, and sour bite. The bite makes you want to take another sip. The malt is a little overshadowed by the sourness and funkiness from the wild yeast (though the funkiness is super-restrained).
The faintest amount of weisse-like malt backbone comes through when you least expect it, fading in and out with every sip. Fruity esters, including apple and banana, are prevalent in the aftertaste.

M: Not light bodied, but not quite medium bodied. A bit thin for a weisse, though carbonated well enough to create a creaminess in the mouth. A little thin overall, extra body would help this one.

D: Very refreshing, very drinkable. I could drink this one all day (though I am a sucker for sours).

O: My first example of such an elusive style of beer. I wish that more breweries would take this style seriously, this style has incredible potential. As usual, this happens to be an excellent beer from the World's oldest brewery.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem