Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Reviews: 574 | Hads: 1,336
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into my Hill Farmstead tulip. Big ups to the guys at HF for a bottle of this. Buying massive amounts of beer pays off.

A - Cloudy straw coloring with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Yeasty goodness with a slightly sour aroma. There is even a very slight banana in there.

T - Now that's a prototypical Berlinner. Taste follows the nose with yeasty sour goodness. Not overly tart, staying within the style, at least in this lushes opinion.

M - Light on the mouthfeel, the beer seems to just cruise down the back of your throat. Very slight creaminess to it.

O - This is a go to Berlinner. It's widely available and is just fantastic. It may not be elite but for the price and the availability, DO IT!

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

On Tap @ The Devil's Den

Look: Pale golden color, cloudy - yeasties dancing all over, with a head that dissipates very quickly

Smell: Lemon zest, vanilla, wheat, acid funk - very aromatic

Taste: Up Front: Nice and tart, lemon zest. Finish: Sweet. Good balance of malt and wheat flavors

Mouthfeel: Thin, and very smooth

Drinkability: Super quaffable session beer! Uber refreshing! Not sure how many I could have in a row. I'll have to test that one day.

Overall Impression: This is a style that will appeal to people that enjoy Tart Belgian Ales, and Wild Ales. I strongly recommend against getting the syrup poured into it, thus making it a foofoo girly drink.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this particular beer multiple times, with different aged bottles. This one immediately doesn't seem to have the bright tartness I've found in other bottles, but interesting nonetheless...

Appearance: Really pale golden/honey colored body. Really active carbonation is visible. Nice head retention, with some really strong stickiness.

Smell: Lots of grass and earthier, almost spicy notes on the nose...along with some lemongrass. I pick up some light mustiness along with a distinctive sweetness. No real hop presence to speak of, unless it's lingering in that musty and herbal area...which I think would be really great.

Taste: Well, there may have not been a very bright tartness on the nose, but it certainly makes itself known upon the first sip. Great dryness accompanies a really clean tartness, which carries some lemon and citric qualities. I detect some perceivable bitterness here that wasn't really apparent on the nose, which works nicely with such a dry finishing beer. The aftertaste is especially neutral, and not bombarding on the palate...I plan on pairing this with food in the near future.

Mouthfeel: This is yet another strong point for this beer, the fact that the mouthfeel is so light and effervescent. This is an exceptionally easy drinking beer, which remains refreshing while still having those intricate flavor complexities. This is truly a wonderful beer to drink thanks to it's crispness, it's tartness, and it's accessibility.

Overall: A really awesome beer that I love to keep around the house. It's a really solid entry-level "sour," and it's pretty easy on the wallet. I don't really have anything else to say about it, that isn't just reiterating what i've already said...

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Split into a 12oz tulip.

Pours a mild yellow, though reveals a good brown note. Mild fizzy head that dissipates rather quickly.

Nose is very dry. Like sniffing a dry chardonnay. Earthy notes, a bit of citrus on the edges with a sour/funk that reminds me of cutting into an unripe lemon. Or grapefruit for that matter.

Light, mild citrus notes. Mild spice character. Lingering sweetness, though mild. Did I say the flavors presented are mild? Big bite in the front, but after that resides, the "weisse" part takes over.

Clean finish, crispness and a fizzy mouthfeel. An experience.

A testament to the style and a fine example of what it should be, although, it is rather bland and lifeless. If you could consider this to be the "banner bearer" of berliner weisse, then I can see plenty of room for which this style could grow. Regardless, an excellent summer style and beer.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

I wasn't really familiar with the Berliner Weisse style before having this beer. After one sip I'm sure I'll never forget it now. Not expecting the lemon wallop that hit me in the mouth I thought there was something wrong with the beer at first until I read up a little on the style.

Reading the reviews here I wonder if I'm more sensitive to lemon. I read here that some people thought this was a "subtle" lemon flavor. To me this was a sharp, intense, lemon flavor that was shockingly tart.

While this is not really my style of beer at all I did enjoy trying a very different beer than what I'm used to. I appreciated it but I don't know if I'll be rushing out to try more beers in this style.

3.51/5  rDev -14.2%

thanks to ejeffer11 for this; poured into my stone snifter

a - pours a beyond opaque straw gold and this one's a bubbler! more than a three finger head that died after a few minutes, leaving no lacing whatsoever.

s - spicy german yeast, plenty of herbals in there as well

t - this one started colder than it should have and all i could taste was tart early on. as it warms an apply tart dominates. those with me thought it tasted watered down, which i only half bought into. the german yeast if very present throughout as well.

m - medium bodied with tons of carbonation, which i balanced the tartness nicely. a sipper for me.

o - this was my intro into berliner weissbiers, so i don't have a lot for comparison. but it was good as an after dinner beer to sip on while drinking. i definitely prefer lambiks and russian river sours in comparison, but it was great to try a german sour.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Poured from a 20oz bottle into a Pilsner glass. Pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice 1/4" head. I left the yeast in the bottle.

S- Peaches for sure. I am pretty confident there are none in this style but I smell them very strongly. Some mild sourness comes through on the nose too.

T- Peaches again and some apples too. You would think they are in there. You get the wheat backbone also. The sourness is not over-powering, not quite as high as a lambic or wild ale.

M- Really highly carbonated. This is perfect for this style. Nice and crisp like a refreshing soda.

D- I could drink this all day. I am making a homebrew version of this later this month and I cannot wait to have it here to drink this summer. This is a beer you could drink 4 or 5 of.

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this from a 16.9 bottle. It pours a hazy straw color with an immediate head from an aggressive pour which dissipates in a swirl of bubbles that continue to rise from the beer for a long time after the pour

Smells like fresh green apples, not the crap apples you buy in stores that are 2lbs and genetically modified. A real apple. Probably granny smith.

Taste is a bit sour with a sweet finish kind of a like an apple champagne or something like that.

Mouthfeel is light and champagney.

Worth a shot!

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Color is a clear golden straw color with a quickly dissipating white head and quite a bit of carbonation. Evan after the head makes its exit the carbonation keeps going and going, sending a plume of bubbles right up the middle of my tulip glass...good show.

The aroma is odd, not like your usual beer. The nose is dominated primarily by an unusual combination of musty pale malts and a citric sourness...funky.

Flavor begins with slightly sweet muted grains and then quickly shifts into a delicious citric lemon tartness, quite refreshing. This beer finishes with a lingering lemony tartness that is quite different and pleasurable. Body is light with plenty of carbonation. An enjoyable drink.

This is my first Berliner Weisse and I am definitely enjoying it and will be buying more in the future.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into 10oz pilsner type glass. Pours a light golden color with tons of fizzy soapy head. Smell is faint and in my opinion apple like. I've never had a lighter beer that tasted quite like this. Very funky taste in a good way. Tastes like a really light sour to me. Light mouthfeel almost like drinking water. Very drinkable, I will be enjoying this beer often in the summer months.

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Pale straw yellow with tons of fluffy white head.

S - Hay, malt, and lemon peel.

T - Dry, some faint malt, dominated by a bitter lemon flavor and mouth-puckering sourness. Slightly peppery at the finish.

M - Insane carbonation, like a champagne.

O - A great beer for a light meal or on a hot day.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Thought I would give a Berliner Weisse a try. I know this is a reproduction, but it was all I could find at the local brew spot.

Very cloudy straw like color. Pours with an aggressive bleach white head that quickly recedes. Tight tiny bubbles persist.

Smell is similar to a typical german weisse, but with a fruity sour note.

Very tart and fruity. Strong lemon-like citrus flavor. No noticeable hop or malt flavor. Almost reminds me of a tall refreshing glass of lemonade. The tartness is very similar to sucking on a vitamin c tablet(which strangely, I kind of like).

I drank this out of a true Berliner Weisse bowl that I had received long ago. I know this glass is designed to drink with woodruff or fruit additives, but what the heck.

This is a beer that I could drink all day long on a hot summer day.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Cloudy golden wheat, the head bubbles up like alka-seltzer, and doesn't stick around very long.

S: Smell reminds me of sparkling champagne, with all the subtle nuances: sour apple, lemon, and lime.

T: It taste somewhat like the smell, lot of really crisp and tart notes, focusing on sour apple, lemon, and lime, in that order.

M/D: Loads of carbonation in the mouth feel, it even holds bubbles down to the last drop. Very clean and crisp. I really enjoy this, it is only my second beer from this style, but taste great. Perfect for the time, summer and heat. I would definitely drink this again.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

A- pours a crisp, slear goldeen yellow with a very bubbly white head that disipates quickly, no lacing. alot of active carbonation.

S- lemon zest, lemonade, spices, yeasty bread qualities.

T- similar to the nose. alot of sour lemon zest ip front that finishes with a little dash of spice. very refreshing for a hot day.

M/D- medium-light bodied, high carbonation. very refreshing and quite appealing.

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%

Fizzy overflow upon popping the cap. Big ol’ white head sits atop a liberally carbonated hazy yellow body: hard to fault the appearance of this one – stunning in a curvy hefe glass with a an even pancake of a head that sticks around for the long haul. Has the musty sort of lactic aroma associated with many wheat/Belgian styles; it’s citric, and there’s an aromatic sandalwood type smell. The carbonation jolts my throat – flavor is subtle but refreshing: light bodied, lemony, tart, and dry. Nice.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Served from pint bottle into Belgian tulip. Pale straw, rather opaque. Head dissipates quickly.

S: Creamy wheat with citrus fruit and herbal notes. Light and pleasant, not sour at all.

T: Light sour notes, more apple and light drinking yogurt than lemon. Reminds me of Federweisser, the partially fermented fresh wine drink.

D: High due to lively acidity and carbonation. Would be great with pizza or savory crepes.

Overall this is the first Berliner Weisse I have tried and I must say that the style is to my liking. Great beer.

Edit: If you don't like the sour taste, drink it with something greasy. Having it with Camembert cheese now and can hardly feel the sourness.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Trying to get more Berliner Weisse's under my belt. This is the first I'll review. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow or blonde color. Some floaters made it in there. No lacing and minimal head that fades to absolutely nothing. Not very impressive, but true to style.

Smell: Light vinegar, green apple, and mild tartness. Tough to dig much up in this, the aroma is not very strong.

Taste: Not as sour as I would've thought. Seems the tartness is up front mixed in with a good amount of carbonation and segues to the middle and is all but gone by the finish, which is thin. Light vinegar and apple flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thin. Not quite watery, but close. No lingering carbonation or bitterness in the end, just a funky aftertaste from the tartness and vinegar. Sourness is up front.

Drinkability: I could drink this until the vinegar and acidity got to me. Thin enough to drink forever though.

Not bad. I feel like I might've gotten an old bottle. I'll be sure to revisit it as I go through the rest of the Berliner Weisse's I've acquried.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

Purchased on 2/10/10 from Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH, and consumed the same day. 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle poured into a short wide tumbler and split with my lady. Bottle is certainly verbose, boasting traditional mash hopping and no wort boiling, as well as dubbing this part of a "Historic Signature Series." The bottle gives a loud hiss upon opening and smells of lactic acid and honey.

A- Pours a polished pale straw to straw with no head in the center and a large-bubbled, active, white collar (not to be confused with a large, bubbled, active, white collar). This is the clearest of the Berliner Weissbiers that I've had the pleasure of laying eyes on (third of three). Achieving this amount of clarity without boiling must require filtering, no? Can filtering be considered "traditional"? I'm not sure if I should add or subtract points: I guess I won't do either. A handful of beading bubbles aggressively race to the surface. No lacing- I would like to blame that on the acidity, but as discussed below, that may not be the case.

S- Sweeter than expected: oatmeal, wheat, rice, maple syrup and brown sugar (only in sweetness, not in dark sugar character), and a fruity-apple character. A small amount of lactic bacteria influence and equally as little yeast character. Much too mellow in what is arguably this style's two most important categories. Smells eerily similar to the "king of beers" with an added small amount of lactic sourness.

T- The acidity is gone as quickly as it shows itself, and is minimal at best. Very balanced between wheat and pils malt flavors, although finishing on the wheat based, sweet side. A fruity, apple flavor blends in with the small amount of acidity in the beginning and continues on after the sourness subsides. This is an average beer with too little acidity (even for a Berliner Weissbier) to lift this much above average.

M- Medium bodied for 5.0% ABV with a moderate to high amount of sweetness in the finish. Doesn't look very carbonated, but once on the tongue, it really expands with an elevated amount of carbonation. Any amount of "swishing" makes the beer fizz uncontrollably. Good for the style, but doesn't finish dry enough.

D- Overall, this scores well above average for drinkability. But, compared to other beers within its own style, it probably scores just above average (taking into account my limited experience with this style). Not sure this really qualifies as a historic representation. At 5%, aprroaching the higher end for style. Refreshing, but not in the ways I was hoping for.

Nothing leads me to believe I didn't drink this in good condition, but looking at the other reviews I would really like to give this another try since I like the style and this does come from a reputable brewer of wheat based beer.

4.64/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A: cloudy, yellow pour with thick, white 1 inch head. I left the large clump of sediment in the bottle.

S: Amazing! The wheat and the lacto blend nicely in the nose. There's some lemon, grass and banana also.

T: Once again I'm really liking the wheat and the sour together. The lemon and banana are there also.

M: Nice and crisp! It's so refreshing and perfect on a summer day.

D: Very, very high! This beer really took me by surprise. I had no idea that the Germans messed with lacto. This was the perfect blend of wheat and lacto (that's the 3rd time I said that). I can't wait to find more beers in this style. This would be a great intro to sours!

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Poured out a pale, hazy yellow with about two fingers worth of head that completely faded. When I say completely faded, I do mean completely. There was no collar, no cap, nothing and with that obviously no lacing.

Smell: Tart, fresh squeezed lemon juice is on the forefront. Following the lemon is an almost vinegar like acidic sour kick. Further in the background is some spicy wheat malt. It's not overly complex, but it smells very nice.

Taste: Continuing from the smell this really does have a nice tart sourness that is akin to biting on a lemon. Both in flavor and in acidity. It doesn't have the vinegar twang that was present in the smell. Complementing this perfectly is the spicy wheat malt that reminds me of a good hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel: The yeast provides a nice medium body with a fairly high level of carbonation that seems to work for this beer. It's very crisp and refreshing with a drying finish.

Drinkability: As I mentioned a second ago this is very refreshing and the sour aspect of it is pleasant and not overpowering. The drying finish makes me want another sip.

Overall I really didn't know what to expect of the Berliner Weisse. But this is an extremely delicious and refreshing beer. It almost reminds me of a hefeweizen on some kind of sour jag. It's very tasty, now if only it was easier to track this stuff down in Michigan!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer since I haven't really had a Berliner weissbier before but this beer is awesome! Has a light acidity that makes it dry and refreshing. Not sweet nor bitter just very pleasant and palatable. I could definitely see this paired with chicken or maybe even fish entrees since the lightness of the beer would enhance without competing with the flavors. This is also a beer I would be comfortable sharing with non-beer geeks/craft beer novices as well as beer snobs. I could see how some more experienced beer geeks might find this beer a bit too subtle, but I find this beer to be extremely well crafted

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a three finger head that dissipates into nothing. This beer is off-white, it looks exactly like cloudy lemon-aid. I am oddly attracted to its unique looks despite having no head and rather large pieces of sediment floating around it.

S: Lactic acid sourness, a note of wild yeast, and a bit of biscuity malt. Fairly aromatic and smells great. Warn leather is definitely present in the aroma.

T: A nice lemony though lactic-like sourness starts the taste off. The taste soon fades into a nice warn leather like note, while revealing the complexities of the wild yeast, and then finishing with a quick, clean, and sour bite. The bite makes you want to take another sip. The malt is a little overshadowed by the sourness and funkiness from the wild yeast (though the funkiness is super-restrained).
The faintest amount of weisse-like malt backbone comes through when you least expect it, fading in and out with every sip. Fruity esters, including apple and banana, are prevalent in the aftertaste.

M: Not light bodied, but not quite medium bodied. A bit thin for a weisse, though carbonated well enough to create a creaminess in the mouth. A little thin overall, extra body would help this one.

D: Very refreshing, very drinkable. I could drink this one all day (though I am a sucker for sours).

O: My first example of such an elusive style of beer. I wish that more breweries would take this style seriously, this style has incredible potential. As usual, this happens to be an excellent beer from the World's oldest brewery.

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a tulip

a: hazy straw yellow with looks to be lots of carbonation. Large head that goes away

s: kinda of sour, some funk, straw, slight barnyard smell which isn't off-putting

t: sour lemon and lactic acid, some sweetness

m: tart, bubbly with a dry finish... enjoyable on a hot summer afternoon

I like this beer and wish to try more in the style. This is refreshing in the heat.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Got a bottle at Olive Tree Market in OB, thanks Mike!

Cap came off with an assertive pop, nice.

A friendly pale yellow, completely clear. Huge white head of bubbles that quickly disappear. Slight ring of bubbles around the rim. Bubbles coming from the bottom the whole time, from my non-etched glass. No lacing.

Aroma is earthy, wheaty, some citrus peel combo I can't quite figure out - lemon and orange peel? Bread dough.

Taste: moderately light body, some dull citrus, noticeable tartness on the tongue. The wheat and bready aroma are also noticeable in the taste. Hints of a white grape wine, very slight sweetness. Lemon, lemon peel. A clean finish in the beginning, although the pucker builds up after a few sips. The tartness is not overpowering, actually not as intense as I assumed it would be. Seems to be extremely balanced, not too sweet or citrus-heavy as many domestic Berliners.

Goes down very well. I would love to try this in Germany to see how the shipping affects it. A shame we can't get 6 packs of Berliners here in San Diego, this would be a great summer session beer. I might have to pour one in a pepsi can for the beach ;)

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Poured from bottle into Westy Chalice

App- Golden, cloudy with no head.

Sm- Very astringent. Green apples and pineapple.

Ta- Lots of delicious lactic balanced by a good full wheatiness. Fruits from the yeast play with the acid in there: pineapple, apricot and grapefruit.

MF- Very light carbonation which allows everything else to show off. Good wheaty mouth feel.

Dr- Awesome. Could drink all day.

Stellar brew. Total treat. Wish it was easier to get. I can't imagine a better beer to use as an introduction to sours. I really liked Dogfish Festina Peche and this puts it to shame.

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse from Professor Fritz Briem