Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner WeisseProfessor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Professor Fritz Briem

Berliner Weissbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: MaltyGoodness on 04-16-2007

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Reviews: 573 | Hads: 1,334
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

My first time trying a Berliner Weissbier after reading and hearing about this ancient style for a long time. Grabbed it at the Port Bottle Shop. Poured with little head, a lot of rising bubbles and pretty damn clear. The yeast in the bottle was highly compacted at the bottom. Aroma was rather odd, and not what I was expecting. Mostly lemony tartness and some yeasty smells. Tastes of tart tropical fruits, under ripe grapes, lemon peel and a lactic quality that doesn't dominate but is very evident. The mouthfeel is light but prickly with a good carbonation level. Very dry though and would go very well on a super hot day. High drinkability if the time is right, but I wouldn't want to drink it right after eating something sweet, or on a cold night.

Overall very unusual beer but highly enjoyable. They said on the bottle it is mash hopped and uses no wort boil. Strange. I think I'm a fan of the style now.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Truly a barometer for the style. Pours with a huge densley carbonated white head (4 fingers?) that doesn't stick around too long unfortunately, but is true to style. This hazy blonde fills out a Weiss glass in style.

The nose on this beer is truly a pleaser. Tropical fruit and yeastiness explode from the glass.

The beer does not disappoint on impact. This takes the traditional Weiss style and adds a kick of sour-fruity tartness (think lactic acid). The tight carbonation adds to the flavor profile and gives this beer a very refreshing quality. Truly a great summer beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Fresh this is a great beer. Locally I stumbled across a stash that was 6-10 years old (nobody knew for sure) and they were really amazing brews. Tart, light, sparkling, and super drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

1 pt .9 fl oz bottle: Aroma is tart, lemony, nice pungent almost sour hop aroma, and green apples. Pours a clear golden color with really nice lacing bubbling up the side of the glass. Taste is nice and sour, citrus, tart, light hop characteristics, awesome taste in my honest opinion. Palate is very carbonated on the lips, and aftertaste has a lingering sweetness and tartness. Overall, This is the prefect style for a hot summer day. My first Beliner I thought it was a sour disgusting mess. Now I love the style. Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass creating immediate gigantic white head, which was gone as quickly as it appeared.
Pale and hazy golden straw-colored appearance.
Yeasty with citric aromas.
Refreshing, lightly sour and tart, light notes of lemon and lime.
Fizzy, light sourness then lemony.

My first try with Berliner Weissbier and I love it. Super refreshing.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

$8.99 price tag on this b-weisse.

Poured this one into my tulip which generated a decent egg shell foam cap, sitting on top of a pale gold liquid. The body was a little hazy and the head fell pretty quickly, although the presentation looked good, especially in a clean glass.

The aroma was nice, lots of tartness, sweet citrus, lemon zest, as the beer warmed and opened up a funky tartness emerges. The funky component becomes more prominent at room temperture adding some wet grass and damp earth scents which really adds to the nose.

The flavor is initially low med tartness. The tartness as some depth behind it. 1809 finishes really clean on the pallette. There is a floral taste every once in a while and only gets better as it warms.

The mouthfeel is just right, good amount of carbonation, and finishes very clean.

This beer is really enjoyable and refreshing. I could definitely drink a lot of this, if it wasn't for the price tag. I liked that this version is higher in alcohol than other berliner weisse's. Pretty good.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A hazy gold with bright white head that dissipates quickly into a lasting thick ring.

Smells of soft plastic sheeting and tangy grains.

Tastes like heaven. Sweet bananas and apricots, followed by a very balanced sourness that gives you a pucker only during the first sip. A hint of hop bitterness vanishes into the dryest cleanest finish I've tasted from a beer in a long time, almost like the dry vinous finish to a champagne.

Throughout, carbonation is high and spritzy, giving the illusion (perhaps reality?) of a light body. But the body could not be too watery, because it never tastes thin or watery. It is this contradiction in the mouthfeel that makes drinking this beer so exceptional. I can't imagine why anyone would ever choose Bud Light to cool off on a hot day after tasting this beer.

Expected DMS from the unboiled wort, but instead got the most delicate malt sweetness and the flavor of grains. The body is flush with malt flavor, balanced with sourness that, because of the complete lack of vinegar, tickles the tongue.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

My first crack at a Berliner Weiss. 16.9oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

This one pours a pale golden/straw color with a bit of haze. So many tiny bubbles make its appearance almost champagne-like. A fizzy, towering head quickly recedes to a thin ring which is only kept alive by its highly active carbonation.

Smells at first like sweet grains. Wheat and a small amount of citric zest come through. After a while of sniffing and trying to pinpoint the aroma, I finally settled on apple sauce. It makes me think of a big bowl of apple sauce. Nothing overwhelming, but it's there.

Tastes mildly citric. A wave of sweetness from the wheat. A nice drying tartness. Nothing overwhelming in the way of sourness- the slight pucker actually is quite pleasing.

Fizzy, spritzy carbonation lighten the body, but the flavors are washed clean and it seems a bit thin. However, the pleasing tartness and the clean finish make this one highly drinkable. An extremely refreshing beer for the Summer.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

There's a reason that Weinhenstephan has been around for a thousand years...

The bier pours a light yellow, with a lemonade appearance. A bright white head climbs up the side and stays. The head settled slowly. The aroma is of lemons, bananas (mostly yeast) and wheat. I didnt smell any hops.

I taste what I smell, banana, wheat and lemon. After the bier rolls of my tounge I get a little hop bite and finishes with yeast and wheat.

The mouthfeel is good. Light and refereshing. A good lawnmower drink.

A - Light golden color, good clarity, with a very small head.
S - Very clean smell, slight lacto aroma, and some wheat.
T - Good malt flavors, with a noticeable but not overwhelming lactic sourness.
M - Medium light bodied with a good carbonation.

This beer was good, it has a fuller body than I would expect, and the lactic acid flavors could be more pronounced. Very drinkable beer though.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought out a case of this at my local liquor store, god I love this stuff...
Pours with a vigorus head, fluffy and bright white, the aroma of tart stone fruit, yeast, fresh bread are very present and welcomed. The beer is very effervescent which knocks up the sediment in the bottle, no matter, just got to pour it well and slow. The taste is great, that's why the beer is great. I don't think this as being a traditional beliner weisse, but I don't really care, it's freaking good. To me it is more of a tart, blonde ale, there is a bit more meat on this beer than I normally expect from BWs, and it is welcomed, again. Mouthfeel is very prickly, but not prickly enough from gulping this beer down, it is just absolutley refreshing.

Overall, final summation: Buy and drink the Sh1t out of this beer when you can find it.

4.39/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy pale yellow. Exploding white, creamy heads hold remarkably well. Effervescent.
(3.5 / 2)

Light grainy malt. Medium light lemon, and apple. Moderate lactic sourness. No hops.
(4.5 / 11)

Light grainy sweet malt. Moderately light citric fruitiness. Medium light lactic sourness begins the long dry finish and ends with a slight citric sweetness aftertaste. No hops. No alcohol.
(4.5 / 18)

Very light body, very high carbonation. Airy, fluffy, delicate mouthfeel. Effervescent.
(4 / 4)

Quite refreshing, pale, and subtly sour beer. Citric fruitiness adds some pleasant complexity. Soft lactic sourness adds a refreshing quality. Nothing over-the-top, nothing vastly complex -- and I am completely OK with that!
(4.5 / 9)

( 4.4 / 44)

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - A very pale yellow with a lingering finger of white, frothy head.

S - Smells strongly of yeast/wheat, green apples, and white grapes.

T - This one is only mildly tart. Reminds me of a tart lager.

M - Medium-light body; not very carbonated.

O - A good beer but not one worth hunting down. I prefer the American BW's which seem to be a bit more tart.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

A tasty beer, but one that seemed a bit absent. It had clear undertones of a hefeweizen beer, excepting some citrus and bright flavors independent of the sour, with obvious wheat and spice just to remind you of its origins from zee Germans.

As for the sourness, it just didn't come through. Present yes. But not in force. For something claiming to be this historical recipe by zee great doktor, lekturer and bier maker fritz briem, I thought it was a little flaccid.

Clearly above average in category and way above average in beers overall. But a lackluster turnout. It's a hefeweizen that has gone sour. Too much wheat character.

I'd give it an 83/100.

4.58/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Clean yellow with a white head. Dark, smoky, and inviting. Nicely carbonated

Smell - Fruity and yeast.

Taste - Light wheat and lemon.

Mouthfeel - Refreshing.

Overall - Great beer. I will not hesitate to drink this beer again.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

I love beer, but every now and then I get into a kind of beer doldrums where nothing sounds good and I'm temporarily bored of all my usual favorites. When this happens, I find that the best way to cast off my beer blues is to find something new and different: 1809, in this particular case. I've wanted to try this brew for some time, but at $5.99 the price was usually enough to make think "I'll try it next time." Damn I'm glad I bit the bullet this time. Appearance is dramatic - I popped off the cap and a fountain of tart-smelling fizz burst out. Glad I had it over the sink... Poured into my hefeweizen glass, 1809 had a towering puffy white head which slowly dissipated to leave a constant layer of froth on the surface. The beer itself looks like liquid wheat and is impenetrably cloudy. The smell of wheat is unmistakeable, but I've never smelled a wheat-beer quite so sour as this. Taste is even more tart than the smell suggests - flavors akin to sour green apple, under-ripe nectarine and grape skin are dominant. The sourness, while extreme, is not in any way unpleasant (quite the opposite), which is good because the tartness lingers on your palate long after you swallow. Mouthfeel is prickly with tenacious carbonation, but otherwise a bit spritzery - could use some more body. Drinkability is good for the style, but this certainly isn't anything you'd want to drink all night. Still, I find it enjoyably different. 1809 is certainly a special beer, and although I wouldn't seek it out as a staple, I look forward to revisiting it.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance - This is straw yellow. Pale in color with a bright white head that pops and fizzes and throws off a puff or two of foam and leaves copius lacing.

Smell - There's some lemon here for sure, this even smells tart. After my first experience with Duchesse du B I'm glad I do not detect acetic acids or funk. I will try in the future the sours I encounter to attempt to retrain and expand my palate, but as far as sours go this is rather good for me. Pure lacto, no brett, no acetic odor and flavor.

Taste - Inoffensive taste of light grains, with a large burst of juicy lemon and lactic tartness. This is a simple beer with a one-dimensional sort of flavor, but as a summer quencher it hits the mark perfectly. A tad bit sweet to my tastes, with a rather restrained maltiness. White grapes in the background, sourness, tartness, like ripe fruit. Reminds me of white wine or champagne in some way, not sure exactly what as they don't taste too much alike.

Mouthfeel - A spritzy carbonation level means that even a pour beyond gentle into geriatric territory brings forth a three finger head or so. The carbonation boueys up the lovely tartness.

Drinkability - High, especially in some hot weather, when the cold effervescence and tart flavors refresh to excess!

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass

At first, and clear orange-golden color, with two solid fingers of rocky head. But the real story here is the ridiculously violent carbonation. It's truly at alka seltzer levels! I could watch this beer all night, and to be honest, it's one of the deciding factors when ordering. All of this changes once the sediment it poured in. The beer takes on a lemony-orange, hazy hue, and all carbonation goes away. One of the coolest visuals of any beer I've had.

The beer is somewhat aromatically challenged, with slight tart fruit and minerals coming through for me.

The beer tastes as carbonated as it looks, which actually works well with the tart, acidic citrus flavors. The wheat seems to provide a nice soft backdrop.

Very enjoyable beer, which drinks easy and is very thirst quenching on a warm day.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

marching through Prussia
stopping for a refreshment
Napolean's beer

I have never had another Berliner Weisse so I have no basis for comparison but this beer is amazining. It pours a thick hazy golden body with a head that quickly thins out. The taste has a lactic bitterness, somewhat like good yogurt, with citrus presence as well. Apparently Napolean loved this shit.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%

This is a 'Berliner Weisse'--a sour wheat bear that used to be (in the 1800s) the most popular beer in Northern Germany. Syrups are sometimes added to this style of beer to cut the sourness. Napoleon himself praised this beer as the "Champagne of the North". It's a cross between champagne and beer: sharp, rather tart, and very very bubbly. The citrus is light and delicious. A great--and fun--summer drink. Sip, don't gulp this one.

3.82/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours hazy straw color. Lots of carbonation. Aroma is slightly sour, lemony/citrusy. Mouthfeel is spritzy, a bit like champagne. There's a pleasant tartness and nice citrusy flavor. A tad too sweet. It would be a nice refreshing beer on a hot day. Overall enjoyable

3.39/5  rDev -17.1%

Cloudy gold color with a big bubble fluff head that dies to nothing and leaves no lace. fine.
Smells a bit farty sadly. Smells like wine that's been left on the lees for too long. Anaerobic decomposition stank. A bit eggy. Some h2s smellies? Or like a half jug of apple cider you forgot you had in the back of your fridge. Not entirely unpleasant but not so nice.
MMM taste is clean tart and refreshing with absolutely no hint at all of the stinksies in the nose. Not complex but so nice to quaff. Lemon and cider with a bit of wet grain on the swallow.
Carb is lively and inviting and it goes down nice a easy.
I wish that nose was a bit cleaner. I understand the process lends itself to that...but not all of 'em I've had have a stank. With my experience so far with this style I've liked the American versions much better than the german versions. This one is alright and nice to quaff.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a great gold color with some cloudy yeast floating around. It is clearer at the bottom than on top.

Smells great. A little soury. Kind of sweet.

This is amazing. Elegant and Refreshing. I wish I could have this by the keg for the summer time.

Very nice mouthfeel. Enough said.

The tartness might be a little much for a long session but this is a terrific beer and I'd like another.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an absolute perfect example of a berliner weisse. I can't imagine drinking it with syrup, though. It pours with little head, and it's a pale yellow with cloudy yeast. The aroma is slight lemon and light flowers with yeast. Mouthfeel is spritzy, the tartness of the taste changing the mouthfeel. Refreshing, light, and extremely quaffable. I'm glad the world's oldest brewery hasn't sold out.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into pint glass

A: Vigorous bright white champagne bubble head, pale gold and hazy with sediment

S: Sweet, acidic like a sparkling wine, dry, fruity, many different smells and aromas, complex

T: Not as fruity or dry as champagne, has notes of grape/white fruit, tart

M: Tart, sweet and bubbly