Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut BierProfessor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Professor Fritz Briem

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Slatetank on 07-29-2008

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier Alström Bros

L: Pours straw with a slight haze under a thin, white foam cap.
S: A bouquet of spice, most noticeably rosemary, caraway, ginger and anise.
T: A lightly sweet with a hint of sour backgone provides a playground for the spice. Many are hard to pin down and come in and out of focus. Anise and rosemary definitely with a does of ginger heat and flavor that lingers long into the aftertaste. Some background chamomile.
F: Light, refreshing with some sparkle.
O: This is a unique, fragrant, perfumey, herby, light and real fresh beer, well worth hunting down and drinking.

I've been wanting to get my hands on this brew for quite some time and low-and-behold
it shows up at the beer store next door to my place! This is going to be a perfect treat as my
weekend starts now...

Pours up cloudy gold with a quickly fading, frizzy white head. Lots of yeast balls nestled into
the bottom of my Duvel chalice. The nose is what'll blow your dick off. It smells of ginger, anise,
rosemary, menthol, lemon peel, mango, licorice. Amazing! Taste is not as diversified. Tart,
oranges, lemons, white pepper, pale malts, floral hops. Spritzy carbo, medium leaning light
bodied. The best gruit I've ever had! Find this and drink this. You won't be dissapointed

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

I honestly had no idea what to expect from this, and I really *wanted* to like it -- so a certain trepidation factor entered in, and I was preparing myself for disappointment.

There was no need. This is the most surprising -- and surprisingly different -- brew I've had in quite a while. The closest thing I've had to this would be the offerings from Williams Brothers (makers of Heather Ale and such), but this one really picks up where they leave off.
In summary: I love it. The $7 price tag (ouch!) might keep me from having a steady supply on hand, but otherwise I'd make this a staple in my house.

Appearance: Yellow. Bold, sparkly, glowing, translucently-cloudy yellow. With a billowy white sea-foam top. In my Duvel goblet, it looks divinely perfect. For some reason (and ignoring the other posts on here) I was expecting a much darker brew (thanks to Williams Brothers). Lovely.

Aroma: Wow. This smell is incredible -- like the way I hope my kitchen smells on good days! Bay leaves, ginger, anise, cardamom, peppercorns, coriander, sour cherry, pear, and cinnamon.

Taste: Mulling spices meet Belgian farmhouse meet heather ale. This is absolutely out-of-this-world. My fear was that the "herbiness" would quickly become tiresome and over-the-top, but the opposite happened -- it becomes increasingly catchy and addictive the more I sip. Extremely thirst-quenching and unendingly intriguing. I could honestly stand it to be stronger in the malt, or overall-strength, department, but that's my only (slight) complaint.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Juicy, piquant, scrubby-bubbles, off-dry. It would even work as a lawnmower beer for some days.

Drinkability: Again, the hefty price tag for a 16.9 fl oz bottle, but geezus this is delicious stuff. I'm going to have to show superhero restraint, put the rest of my unconsumed glass in the fridge, and cook up some vegetarian Indian food to go with this. It's begging for it. It would also be a winner with my "Chaucerian" spiced-Venison pie.

Holy cow I'm in love with this beer.

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a whitish pale gold that is nice and cloudy with a thick, rich long lived white head that settles very slowly leaving more of a tall ring than a lacing. My observation is that the head is so thick and slow to settle that it pulls itself back down the inside of the glass.

The nose is somewhat spicy and crisp with hints of bread, grass, tangerines, ginger and bay, and is very pleasant.

The taste is extremely unique and reflects this brews unique style and origins. The notes of ginger, bay leaves, anise and the combination of the wheat and yeast are a great success.

The moutfeel is reach and delivers the complex taste to eh palate nicely.

Overall this is an exceptionally good beer. Very different but very good. I will drink it again, and again, and...

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From bottle at Rattle n Hum, NYC. You think you know beer? Nah ha! This will open your eyes. Nose says lemon-ish, Bay leaves? Yesiree, Bob. Not only are all those ancients present they exist within harmoniously. I`m left with a feeling of want & deprivation because there are no more in the cellar & I want.

I`ll stop here because I'm afraid my praise will distance me from my next bottle.

I've said too much.

4.56/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: really cloudy, yellow....bright white head, spongy - a nice amount, good rise, just doesn't want to stick around....it looks like a Berliner Weisse, or Absinthe

S: herbal - pasta sauce?! (but this goes away)...I'd like to think the rosemary and ginger comes out most predominantly....sniffed, for reference, all the herbs/spices listed on the label (with the exception of gentian, though I did have Angostura on hand...)....wasn't detecting any caraway and the anise was thankfully just enough to balance, bay leaves perhaps the same...with the green herbs and the ginger was a wonderful citrus blend of an aroma....the whole spice bill was so well balanced and edged toward accessibility

T: up front, a nasty, funky mystery (but this goes away)....the aftertaste very much mirrors the smell....I suppose that's the gentian that's prevalent here....fruity, mildly tart, some vague sweetness - herbs and spices are so well balanced and mellow enough....ginger/bay-leaf bite very late, but still fairly subdued....a sort of herbal/floral and certainly bright citrus flavors are the core here

M: sort of thinnish, a little dry....spritzy (or is that the citrusy/herbal bite?) - enhances the thinness....later, there's actually a pleasant, yet soft, filling sensation, yet it washes away somewhat clean, though a little residual stickiness remains on the palate....the lighter body works to its advantage here though

O: in my mind, this is the best of the more readily available gruit ales on the market....something that truly stands out, and it's so drinkable!...and only a German or (better) British yeast seems appropriate for this style (Belgian "gruit" is a waste/joke)...the yeast must have some hand in the flavor here, but it still allows the flavorings to come through....definitely try this if you haven't!

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #39 (Apr 2010):

This rare treat is part of the Historic Signature Series of forgotten styles brewed according to the historic recipes by Dr. Fritz Briem of the Doemens Institute. Gruits have their place in lore, with sources citing psychotropic properties and berserking effects. Not sure if we'll get our Viking on here, but this interpretation is brewed with bay leaves, ginger, caraway, anise, rosemary, gentian, wheat, barley and wild hops.

Pale, straw, cloudy, with a ton of carbonation that induces a massive foaming white head. This eventu- ally settles to a creamy lace that sticks to the end. Very fragrant in the nose. Sweet herbal with ginger, floral (lilac), soft rosemary, mint, menthol and wheat husks. Light bodied; flash of crispness, then smooth with an underlying creaminess. A bit tart with a nice wheat twang, mild grassy bitterness and pine sap. Ginger flavors dominate with a soft spiciness. Juniper. Sage. Cloves. Soft licorice. Touch of sweetness, but dry overall. Wheat tannins toward the end with a linger of mixed-bag of spices, grassiness and menthol.

For those looking to experience beer of yore, this is a must. There's a lot going on, but it's delicious, highly drinkable and refreshing; it works well, and gives you a glimpse into beer geek palates of the 13th century. And though examples of the style are quite rare (we currently list fewer than 50 on the website), this is quite possibly one of the best Gruits we've had to-date.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

P: Bright cloudy yellow lemonade body with a fast disappearing white head.

S: Crazy aroma. Caraway, rosemary, bay leaves, ginger, mustard seed, subtle fennel, tart citrus kissed wheat and spicy barley. Weird but amazing. Timid grapefruit in the back.

T/M: Taste comes off as a super spiced up summer wheat ale. The bay leaves really bring a bitter earthy profile along with the caraway and rosemary. Like drinking a brine solution mixed with wheat beer and tart yeast. Light zesty body that is nice and refreshing. Grapefruit in the finish.

O: I wasn't sure what to expect but I gotta say its superb. The spices really work as weird as they seem. A great easy drinking summer beer. I will definitely grab more of this. Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a pale yellow color and a cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Not a whole lot of lacing.

S: A sweet smelling beer - spicy, malty, hoppy.

T: Tasted of hops and spices with some malt. Spices ruled the roost, but that's not necessarily a bad thing this beer.

M: A vibrant amount of carbonation and a dry, smooth finish. Light-bodied.

D: An airy, tasty, drinkable beer. Great for summer.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Great Odin's raven, how have I not reviewed this one yet?! Fixing this right now. From notes (and many bottles):

I'M FRITZ BRIEM BITCH! </ Rick James> Okay, now that we've the requisite introduction out of the way... no really, try it out loud, it's funny... who is Fritz Briem? I mean, his name is on the label of this (I assume) contract brewed beer by Wiehenstephan... a quick Google sez: he was "a member of the technical and research staff at Weihenstephan."

Okay. So the good Doctor obviously knows his stuff. Now onto the beer. This is a Gruit. It replaces hops with a tonne of weird botanicals including Ginger, Anise, Gentian (???), Rosemary and Caraway. Oh, and Bay leaves. Okay. So now you have something to go on with.

I dunno... the best review of this unique minor masterpiece is simply to crack one for yourself. Serve at around 55 degrees F and go to town... as it warms all kinds, and I mean all kinds, of weird, impossible to pinpoint aromas come out of this hazy-pale yellow ale. It's sort of mystical, actually.

The nose is quite simply a cornucopia of herbs. Insanity. Potpourri. Lemon, ginger (check), anise, pepper, tart, tea-like, grassy, spicy, earthy. You'll come up with your own adjectives. There is zero hop aroma, of course, and barely any real malt to be smelt, leaving your brain and nose reeling from the (well balanced) herbal assault. Smells sort of like walking through a spice aisle, but fresher. You simply MUST experience it for yourself -- exceptional? Yes.

The flavor is weird, and woolly, and herbal. Fritz Briem (...bitch) has made a beer like absolutely NOTHING else I've ever had.
No food, no drink has come within yards of the unique herbal-fizz punch this... thing... packs. it's soft and drinkable and tart-sour and light and as you sip on this beverage your eyes get wider and wider and you get The Fear and expect elves or kobolds to suddenly leap out from behind the oaks and rowan trees that keep... getting... closer... they'll drag you into the circle and force some vegetal potion down your throat and you'll feel light headed, and dance with them till dawn, till you awake to find yourself face-down in a freshly cut lawn with a three eyed moon-child scattering flower cuttings over your prone form while she hums in a high-pitched, sing-song voice... the trees, the colors...

Er, sorry, where was I? Oh, yeah, the Gruit. Please drink some. Find it and drink it out of a goblet while listening to your trip-out music of choice and wearing less clothing than you'd usually.
This is devastatingly unique, to me, and I love it.

On a more... useful note, when I serve this to beer geeks, which is often, I tell them to think of it as an herbal soda. It only remotely resembles beer, but is supremely memorable, mind-expanding and, dare I say, delicious. Surely the best Gruit I have had to date. Fritz Briem, I bow in your general direction. Keep taking orders from the faeries and I'll keep drinking.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%

G - .3 Aventinus glass.

A - Cloudy with particulates and sediment, and a persistent micro-head but no lacing. This beer has a great deal of information about the ingredients and inspiration for the brew on the label, so read it!

S - Bizzarely, I detect A-1 Sauce or Lea & Perrins Worcestershire from the get-go, and also ginger, peppermint and tea tree notes. Despite the mélange of spices, the aroma (and taste) is neither unbalanced nor overpowering.

T - I've had other Gruit-style brews, but often they are disappointingly south of exotic. This, however, is a strange, exceptionally interesting brew; it is similar in body and base to a Berliner Wiessbier, but way spiced up with some crazy tastes. This beer has a strong ginger flavor initially. Honey sweetness, but very subtle. As you adjust to an initially shocking flavor profile, the individual flavor constituents become discernible and identifiable.

M - Relatively thin, lightly carbonated, exceptionally refreshing

D - Awesome. This Dr. Fritz Briem, who makes these historic brews at Weihenstephan, kicks ass. 1809 is a real winner, and this is too. Such an intriguing flavor; exotic, yet familiar.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Three fingers of one of the fizziest beers I've seen in a long time. It's actually kind of amazing how fizzy it is considering how big it got. White color that quickly turned into a fine lace. Golden straw hue with some sediment. Slightly cloudy. Honestly this is hard to judge because I've never had one before.

S: Wow this is incredibly fragrant. I get lots of fruity notes along the lines of a sweet apple but then it's all herbs. I get the rosemary/bay leaves primarily. Especially the bay leaves. And ginger. Wow! It's exciting to smell something so different. Some grain too.

T: I don't even know how to classify this... but I do know it's good! I thought the spices were going to hit me over the head, but they're actually pretty well balanced. Granted I can definitely taste them but they're not overtaking the beer. I get a lot of tangy wheat flavors as well. Then lots of the bay leaf and ginger. This isn't nearly as sweet as I thought it'd be. It's fairly dry and really good! I can't get over how surprising this beer is.

M: Light body with great carbonation. Some mild creaminess. Great!

O: Huge surprise in how much I like this beer. I would actually drink it on occasion! Not every week but definitely atleast once a month! Nice work Fritz

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Drank from a 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle purchased at Mountview Plaza Wines & Liquors, Naugatuck, Connecticut
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a slightly cloudy, pale yellow color with a flimsy, bright white, one-finger head that quickly dissipated.

The aroma was absolutely amazing and so unique. Super herbal, spicy and floral with notes of ginger and orange zest. As the beer warmed, the ginger became progressively stronger.

The taste was wildly interesting and complex. Like the aroma, the flavor profile was quite floral with tons of lavender and anise notes. Citrusy, with indications of lemon and jasmine. Rosemary appeared in the center. Hints of eucalyptus were noticeable as well. Bay leaf and anise came through on the crisp, dry, slightly earthy finish. Overall, I found that this beer had more intense top notes than other gruits.

The mouthfeel was light, crisp and a touch airy with a near Champagne-like carbonation.

Drinkability was excellent. This is a light, refreshing and flavorful beer that goes down so effortlessly. I could imagine this making for a wonderful aperitif.

After trying a few of the best gruits in the world, I can unquestionably say that this one is tops on my personal list. Seek this out and be prepared to taste something like you have never tasted before.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 17 oz bottle into a chalice type glass.
Pours a beautiful hazy golden straw color with some sediment floating in the glass, some at the bottom. Thin off-white head that fades fairly quickly leaving a ring around the glass and some spotty lacing.
The smell is amazing, like a handful of fresh herbs. I can pick out the rosemary, anise, and ginger distinctly, along with a soft lemon scent. There's a little bit of a cough drop smell to it though, so not quite a 5 on smell.
The malt, wheat, and herbs blend well, giving it a slightly spicy ginger-lemon, a great floral/herbal taste blending all the herbs together, a little bit of breadiness in the finish and a nice spicy/herbal aftertaste that fades slowly.
Light bodied and very smooth. Easy drinking too, if this came in six packs I would drink it all day.
Overall a very enjoyable and unique beer. If I didn't know it was a gruit I'd have guessed it was a very smooth and well made wit.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours pale yellow with a white head that has some retention. Aroma is unique, unlike any brew I've had close to Berliner Weisse but way different. Ginger, lemon and rosemary dominate but it's a bbig salad of spice. Tastes like a ginger beer with some mint mouthwash and an almost medicinal aftertaste like alka seltzer. Finish is somewhat dry and refreshing. Not too bad, very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks, beerbeagle, for sniping my wants! Best extra ever.

A- A pear-juice color, fizzy, white-as-snow head, very active. Beer is hazy. Actually looks darker held up to the light. Hmm. Head quickly settles to a 1-finger froth. 5 minutes in, it's gone completely. No lacing. Unlike anything I've ever seen before.

S- Herbs, very aromatic. Lilac, juniper, flowery beyond belief, reminds me of hibiscus. I can smell the ginger that the label says is in the beer. Not so much the anise, caraway, or bay leaves. Interesting.

T- Whoa. Some of the floral notes found in farmhouse and gueuzes. Hmm. Actually, some of the unique tastes here remind me of DFH's Sah-tea, as well.

Floral, a bit spicy, again I can taste the ginger. The hodgepodge of spices works pretty well together, and make for an interesting drink. Hard to put my finger on what exactly it is, other than tasty. And it's pretty damn tasty. A bit of juniper and pine on the back end, earthy for sure, could that be the bay leaves? Orange zest, a bit of tartness that reminds me of Cantillon Classic Gueuze. Really an interesting beer.

M- Complex, but not overpowering in any one direction, good carbonation, and a great, unassuming 'lightness' or 'fluffiness' to the beer make this a winner. Entirely a joy to drink.

D- Good. This would be perfect on a hot day, it is so damn refreshing. It was good on a cold winter night, too. This beer begs to be imbibed slowly, so you can appreciate all it had to offer.

I had NO idea what this beer would be like, and am really happy. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Maybe it's nothing more than a nice change of pace from all the DIPAs I've been drinking.. but I think not. This is a really tasty and really unique beer that everyone should try at least once.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Bottle purchased at Friar Tuck's in Savoy, IL.
No bottled on date.
Poured into a standard US pint glass.

Amazing aroma, definitely herbal in character, with notable rosemary, ginger, sage mint, and vague flowers. There's a mild wheat malt base that adds a bit of sweetness and acts as the glue between this wild variety of scents.

Tasting opens with slight sweetness and mild lemon flavor, which quickly fades into herbs. Of particular note are ginger, mint, rosemary, sage. Finishes with a bit of sweetness, then, tartness, probably from the wheat malt and yeast used.

Enjoyably light on the palate (not sure a heavier version of this would be appealing) with sparkling levels of carbonation, similar to champagne. Crisp, refreshing, and very drinkable with a dry finish.

At first I thought this might be like drinking soup base, but I was pleasantly surprised by the aromatic and gustatory aspects of this beer. I repeatedly thought how easily drinkable this was, and what an excellent apertif or dinner beer this would make. So it's not an over-the-top RIS or IPA; this is still delicious and a pleasure.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a hazy lemon yellow color with a white foam that recedes to a spotty film. It's almost glowingly radioactive looking.

Holy shit...WTF? I smell wintergreen, rosemary, lemon zest, bubblegum and white pepper. Seriously the craziest beer I have ever laid nostrils upon.

Once again, more surprises in the flavor...sour wild yeastiness mixed with spicy herbal nuances. Just lights up your tongue from every angle imaginable. It's a flavor cornucopia, if you will. Strangely delicious and refreshing. I feel like I don't even need to brush my teeth now. As this is my first grut beer, I would love to try some others...but shit, I would buy this again in a heartbeat.

Every BA owes it to him/herself to try this crazy shit.

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a cloudy and pale yellow gold, obviously (clearly?) unfiltered, with a little bit of sediment settling down to the bottom. The head is a creamy pillow of pure white, roughly one finger tall and holding its form for the session while dropping down deposits of webbing, patching and spotting in tandem.
This is an aromatic and fragrant bouquet with raw, rustic, herbal and earthy qualities. it's also slightly sweet, plenty tangy, and quite spicy overall. In the aroma and the flavor there's an overlying floral quality and, beneath that, a consistent perfume. I'm reminded of flowering heather in the slightly bitter, stemmy and general particularity of the spicing, while a firm backbone of dry grains and wheat-like notes hold it up and a strong taste of tangy and zesty lemon juice, maybe a hint of peel as well, hit the nostrils and the tongue at all times. There's a light minty note as well mingling with the rest, and the spicy bite has an edge like ginger or wasabi. It goes generally grassy, too, with a hint of something similar to spruce tips but underneath the rest. With all the complexity, depth and overall flavor to this beer, it may, as strange as it is, be as good a Gruit as one could find.
Flowing smoothly on the tongue and with a crisp bite that never fades, there's a dryness both from a leafy and woody feel and from a certain acidity that carries through without being harsh. The lemony tang and zest evens out the dryness and lingers well.

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Looks like a witbier. Hazy pale golden with a big white head. Settles down to a quarter finger. Some lacing.
S- Wow the nose is a big kick. Ginger gets all up and powerful. There is a light floral aroma. I am picking a bit of the advertised anise too.
T- Very spicy on the tongue. The ginger hits big here. There is a bit of a lemon juice note. A fairly present wheat base.
M- Quite light body. Fairly crisp carb.
O- This is fun. This isn't an every kind of night of beverage, but this is just a fun and different kind of drink.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Sparkly, foamy white head, about 1 finger, which fizzes away. Unusually light, taux blond body, like champagne.

Powerful herbal nose, vegetal with plenty of basil plus some kind of sweetness, maybe berry.

Rosemary in the taste. Very light, but not watery. Rich with herbal flavor and would probably pair with food amazingly. Consider creamier cheeses. Faint, delightful tartness that is in no way overpowering. Light, very balanced.

Mouthfeel is bright, champagne-like carbonation, but not unpleasantly fizzy.

Quite refined, nice for toasting or as an apertif. Again, this begs to be paired. I was nervous it wouldn't justify the price. I'm still not sure it does, but I'm nonetheless impressed.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

A-Pale, hazy blonde with a thing ring of white bubbles.

S-Cinnamon, juniper, nutmeg, coriander,nag champa incense ginger, etc. Smells like one of those hippie commune grocery stores.

T/M-This gruit succeeds above other versions of the style I've tried in that it isn't over spiced. Many gruits end up tasting like a mouthful of bark and juniper berries, but not this one. It's very light. In fact, the base beer is somewhat to Briem's 1809 Berliner Weisse. The spice is delicate, but with considerable variety. Light bodied with bright carbonation.

D-If you're going to drink a gruit (or grut) drink this one.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a very slightly cloudy orange with a rose colored tinge. Left about an ounce of sediment filled beer in the bottle. Nose is a complex mix of rose hips, salty smoked carraway and coriander, dill, a pleasant medicinal band aid note. Very juicy in the mouth with bright lemon notes, a mix of savory spices and finishes with a golden delicious apple flavor. Very drinkable at the abv (not the price) and is a very intriguing beer for a style i admittedly have never tried before. Very impressive.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Super excited to try this after reading the herbs that went into it.

The beer is a pale, dull yellow with a thin white head and huge chunks of yeast. This beer is obviously a living organism and smells incredible. There are strong herbal notes without anything distinct in particular along with a sour tartness that screams zesty lemons. Absolutely divine drinking with a thin watery, but zingy mouthfeel...which is rather unexpected. It's highly drinkable and reminds me of a mild ginger beer that would cool off the hottest of summer days. I would definitely recommend giving this beer a shot if you've never tried a gruit before, it puts DFH's ta hen ket to shame (and yes I know THK isn't technically a gruit...but it's full of funky herbs from the egyptian market nonetheless).

4.31/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A mostly clear gold SRM 4-5 with a big, bubbly half-inch head. No real lacing on the inside of a Spaten Seidel, though particles in suspension range in size. Most sediment was left in the bottle. That which transferred slowly settled out.

Fresh lemon with caraway. Possibly some rosemary, but definitely anise. Anise becomes stronger with warmth. Some bay leaf and fresh ginger are also noticeable.

Tart fruit with ginger. The aroma comes through nicely and is quite refreshing. The sweet/tart interplay becomes prevalent in a mild, lingering, herbal finish.

Medium body, highly spritzy with a hint of alcohol, a satin texture with light metallic notes.

This is a superbly refreshing beer, similar to a Radler. I imagine this would be a great summer beer to relax with in the shade with friends. I was pleasantly surprised.

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier from Professor Fritz Briem