Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut BierProfessor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  4.60% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: Slatetank on 07-29-2008)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier Alström Bros
jrallen34

2.38/5  rDev -38%

Bottle into my Rochefort glass.

Pours a light murky honey gold, not head or lacing, not much here...Aroma is strong and varied, lots of fresh herbs bursting through, rosemary, thyme, aloe mixed together. Together its quite pungent almost to strong and not in a good way. Very medicinal...The taste is an instant gagger, way to medicinal, chalky taste and texture...The feel is good, not at all drinkable.

This might be worth trying to get a good idea of what beer was like 400 years ago. But its not at all drinkable. More gimmick than anything else.

07-01-2010 00:37:36 | More by jrallen34
WorldWideStout

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +12%

A: Pours a slightly murky, slightly orange pale yellow. Very white head only gets up to a finger before receding.

S: All spice, baby. Definitely caraway, a little bit of anise, rosemary, and bay leaves as well.

T: Starts off with a refreshing, light sourness. The caraway lurks in the background for a second before coming front and center for awhile. Towards the middle it's less prominent, and I get a good bit of rosemary and bay leaves. The aftertaste doesn't seem to be much, but minutes later, I can still find a bit of caraway and bitterness in my mouth. Don't really get any ginger, and the only possible place I detect the gentian is in that aftertaste. Taste is more balanced and complex than the smell, and thus gets a higher score.

M: Both carbonation and body are light and work well.

D: Pretty high I think. This is my first grut, and it's certainly unique, but none of the spices are overwhelming, and the gentle sourness helps too.

An intriguing and enjoyable beer; I will definitely take a chance on other interpretations of the style when I encounter them.

06-24-2010 23:49:55 | More by WorldWideStout
prototypic

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

I can always rely on kkipple to send me the oddities. Thanks a ton for this one, Dan! Very interesting.

Grut Bier pours a very light lemon color. It's a little hazy. Backlighting gives it a gold look. A soft white head covers the top and rises to a finger and a half in depth. Retention was definitely on the shorter side. Lacing was very, very light.

The nose is pretty good. It's very herbal and spicy. That's actually a bit of an understatement. There's a host of interesting, spicy notes here. I'm getting pepper, perhaps a bit of clove, possibly some juniper twig. It smells a little like a Sahti. It's very grainy and earthy. There's maybe some light lemon here. Alcohol is buried. Very intriguing.

The flavor is oddly reminiscent of a Sahti. I believe it's the juniper twig or something. It's a very distinct smell and flavor. It's damn spicy and herbal. I am getting pepper, light clove, and ginger. There's definitely more that I can't identify. It's grainy and quite earthy in character. It has a light citrus presence. Tastes like lemon to me. Hops are definitely in the mix. They have a slight bitter kick, and dry it out quite a bit. Alcohol is not at noticeable. Finishes spicy and dry, dry, dry. Honestly...I like it.

Grut Bier has a very light body. Carbonation is active and a little crisp. It's actually quite refreshing. Not bad at all. Drinkability is above average. The flavor is unique. No question about that. I like it, but it's definitely odd. Not something I'd want more than a bottle of in a sitting. It goes down easy though.

I'm much more impressed with good ol' Professor Fritz Briem's Grut Bier than I anticipated. It's quite unique, has an interesting flavor, and a definite throwback feel to it. It does remind me a Sahti, but that's not a bad thing at all. If you're looking for an interesting experience, try this one on for size. It's a good one. Thanks, Dan!

06-11-2010 01:42:53 | More by prototypic
dasenebler

Maine

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a very pale, slightly hazy gold with tons of effervescence. The fizzy head is one of the shortest-lived I've experienced. Looks like fizzy gold water.

Aroma is excellent, with tons of medicinal herbs and funk. Think Saison spiced with ginger, rosemary, anise and carraway.

The flavor is like the aroma: quite interesting and unique. There is a pronounced sour component reminiscent of a tart Saison or Dr. Fritz's other beer, 1809 Berliner Weisse. The finish is incredibly herbal, with a pronounced ginger note. I also get a lot of the rosemary and anise used in the brewing process, but not so much of the gentian, precisely because I have no idea what it tastes like. This beer is on the lighter side of the mouthfeel spectrum-- this is to be expected given its color and alcohol content. Refined effervescence lends some creaminess and interest to the feel. Could use some more malt and texture, but that would ultimately change the character of the Professor's beer.

This beer is really something special. It's like I'm drinking some ancient medicinal tonic. Quite refreshing. Sehr Grut, Herr Professor!

06-08-2010 01:26:43 | More by dasenebler
Metalmonk

3.38/5  rDev -12%

This beer is LOUD. Possibly the most audible beer I've ever poured, this one doesn't have much head, and has some tiny floaters flitting about like Sea Monkeys. Lightly-hazed lemon-juice yellow color.

Aroma immediately recalls ginger ale, but quickly morphs into something more complex. Remarkably spicy and herbal nose, the best word is "exotic." It's an aroma that gives a zillion impressions if you sit there sniffing it long enough. Details aren't necessary, although the label gives much away: brewed with bay leaves, anise, ginger, rosemary and other herbs/spices. Intriguing, scintillating, flowery and vibrant, to say the least.

Flavor is very medicinal. Not in an alcoholic way, obviously, but in terms of how concentrated the herbal flavors are. More like designer soda than beer. Bay leaves, rosemary and ginger are especially prominent. The finish leaves a coating of ginger, very much reminding of Tom's of Maine's Ginger toothpaste, which is great toothpaste, but we're talking beer here, right?

Highly carbonated, yet managing a softer texture--helps that the body is light.

"Refreshing" says my wife, and I agree--although the weirdly medicinal vibe has me wondering what illness I have. Kudos to Dr. Briem for keeping a centuries-old tradition alive. Not one I'd try again, though...but hey, nice aroma.

06-01-2010 02:32:05 | More by Metalmonk
busternuggz

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 17 oz bottle into a chalice type glass.
Pours a beautiful hazy golden straw color with some sediment floating in the glass, some at the bottom. Thin off-white head that fades fairly quickly leaving a ring around the glass and some spotty lacing.
The smell is amazing, like a handful of fresh herbs. I can pick out the rosemary, anise, and ginger distinctly, along with a soft lemon scent. There's a little bit of a cough drop smell to it though, so not quite a 5 on smell.
The malt, wheat, and herbs blend well, giving it a slightly spicy ginger-lemon, a great floral/herbal taste blending all the herbs together, a little bit of breadiness in the finish and a nice spicy/herbal aftertaste that fades slowly.
Light bodied and very smooth. Easy drinking too, if this came in six packs I would drink it all day.
Overall a very enjoyable and unique beer. If I didn't know it was a gruit I'd have guessed it was a very smooth and well made wit.

05-28-2010 20:50:27 | More by busternuggz
generallee

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pt .9oz bottle into a pint glass. The label lists the abv at 4.6% and there is a disruption of the beer. It doesn't have a freshness date however.

Appearance: It has a hazy yellow body with a thin white head. The head quickly fades to just a small ring of foam. Lacing is minimal and slick, sliding right down the sides of the glass as I drink.

Smell: The aroma is full of interesting savory spices over very light whole grain bready malt notes.

Taste/Palate: There is a mild sweetness up front which quickly dries out as herbal and botanical flavors move in over the tongue. Notes of ginger, anis, and caraway seed stand out. There are also some lighter hints of herbal tea, lemon zest, rosemary and pepper. All this mixes with its base of dry wheat and pale grainy malt. The finish is slow, dry, and herbaceous (tea like) with an odd complex mix of flavor notes. Medium bodied with lively carbonation it drinks surprisingly well.

Notes: Overall I find this beer to be interesting, complex and oddly delicious. For me this one pushed the limit of what is and could be.

05-20-2010 12:36:42 | More by generallee
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Bright yellow pour with a nice billowy white head. Aroma is very medicinal, apertif-like. Hard to specify a single herb. Taste is flooded with lemon zest, and the medicinal herb taste follows. Quite unusual. Body is smooth, but drinkabilty is kept to a reasonable level by the sharp tastes.

All in all, and interesting drink, but not one I will be rushing to revisit.

05-18-2010 23:47:40 | More by Onibubba
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Very hazy, amber/yellow sort of color. High carbonation level. Very floral and spicy aroma. Somewhat minty and grassy. Fairly crisp upfront with a lot of herbal and spicy notes. I cant place the main spice-if I think of it I will edit my review. Mild anise flavor. Quite the lively mouthfeel. Low abv makes this somewhat sessionable but the higher levl of spices and floral notes might make more then 1 or 2 difficult for some. Still an interesting beer and glad to have tried it after reading some favorable reviews in the press.

05-16-2010 03:28:17 | More by lackenhauser
metter98

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: It poured light yellow in color and slightly hazy. A light to medium level of carbonation is visible and a thin layer of bubbles consistently covered the surface.
S: The smell is very interesting and unique--there's a strong aroma of herbs and spices. Notes of ginger and rosemary particularly stand out.
T: As soon as you take a sip, the flavor of the herbs and spices hits you right away. There seems to be a good balance amongst them as not one particularly stands out. There's a bit of sourness in the overall taste.
M: It feels light-bodied, bubbly and prickly on the palate; there Is some dryness in the finish.
D: This tasted pretty good by itself and I might have this again the next time I am looking for an interesting change of pace. It might also be interesting to pair with a salad during dinner. Like gueuze, it's definitely an acquired taste, but I am liking it more with each sip. It's also very refreshing and might make for a good drink on a hot summer day.

05-02-2010 21:08:45 | More by metter98
medic25

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

My first time trying this ancient style of beer; pretty cool idea to sample something from the past. Pale yellow, slightly hazy color without much head. Medicinal aroma. Taste is pretty strange; savory would be the best description; ginger, along with some other herbs. Pretty "fizzy" mouthfeel; a fairly light beer. Not something I'd drink regularly, but nice to expand the palate.

05-01-2010 01:24:52 | More by medic25
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Gruit beer. 1pt., 9fl. oz. bottle served in my SA Perfect Pint. No freshness dating indicated on the bottle. Bottled opened with a gush. Poured a hazy gold with a three inch, loose, bright white head that gradually disperses into a mere skim of a cap. No lacing on this one. Nose initially presents with a big citrus character, but as this dissipates, a big herbal presence manifests - rosemary, sage, fennel; very interesting and complex. Taste consistent with nose; however, much more subdued in the flavor profile (thankfully). Mouthfeel is light-bodied with an easy carbonation and some acidity at the finish. Interesting and complex, but not something I would seek out again.

04-30-2010 01:46:40 | More by Jwale73
OtherShoe2

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with a fizzy white head that is gone soon. No lacing.

Some tart grain aromas, as well as honey and sharp herbs.

Lighter than expected with some tartness, then some honeyed sweetness, with sharp bites of herbal notes and some soda water bite as well. Ok.

Lighter and fizzier than expected. Clean flavors. Good.

Overall, went down ok. Nothing I'd really chase again, but you won't hate this. A Scottish Gruit from Gemany. Not bad.

04-25-2010 22:29:01 | More by OtherShoe2
Halcyondays

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

500 mL bottle,

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a fizzy white head which has fair retention.

S: Smells like toothpaste. That is the initial reaction, the nose is filled with anise, lilac, rosemary/herbs and clear amounts of ginger.

T: Wheaty lemon not unlike a Berliner weisse with a heavy herbal component. The rosemary, ginger and bay leaves come out here more than in the nose, still has the anise undercurrent throughout.

M: Very light-bodied, fizzy, lightly acidic. Again reminds me of a Berliner Weisse here.

D: A sessionable tasty brew. I don't know how traditional it can be since it is golden, it's nice to try another example of this rare style which is one of my favourites.

04-11-2010 04:14:33 | More by Halcyondays
OneDropSoup

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Really intrigued by this one, which I picked up at my last haul from Vintage Estate.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Kind of weird-looking: cloudy, translucent pale orange/yellow body. Half inch of nice collar & dusting. Dunno, a sort of sickly color.

Smell is herbal & seasoned, reminding me at first of the pizza beer with an oregano-like nose (which fades, thankfully). Menthol smell that builds & really dominates after a while. An acidity not unlike tomatoes. Approaching a saison spiciness, but stranger. Some citrus peel.

Medicinal, menthol taste that my wife likened to Vick's VapoRub. Light lemon tea, tobacco-like dry leaves, wheat tartness, mild pepper. Complex & interesting, if not exactly the most enjoyable. Ends dry with a lingering coolness, again like menthol.

Thin-bodied, very little carbonation. Sticks to my mouth in a strange way, because it's not a sugar stickiness.

Really different & hard to grade because it was fascinating if not actually a great pleasure to drink. The closest beer I can liken it to is Orval, though Orval is much more enjoyable to me. Glad I had it, can't say I'd have it again. A concept beer.

03-26-2010 13:53:23 | More by OneDropSoup
TMoney2591

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Pours a hazy lemon drop with at best a finger of white foamy head that doesn't have the drive to live a long, healthy life. Depression, maybe, I dunno. When my nose imbibes the aura beneath, it is as though a baker's rack has been spilt into a beer: peppermint (yeah, I said peppermint...but it could just as easily be wintergreen...I could never tell the damn difference), anise, nutmeg, honey, ginger, cinnamon, hops, and a melange of florals punch their timecards, beginning their shift at the olfactory. ...Sorry, I couldn't resist that...pun...?... At first, these workers are adrift in a sea of vague bitterness, but, of course, they wait until after work to let their hair down: At last, a wash of various flavors, anise, peppercorn, ginger, honey, nutmeg, and that minty bastard again, all dance toegether in such a harmony as to make a Benatton collection feel insecure enough to venture into a Wal-Mart or something. In Max's buddy Bobby's words, "It's pretty scrumptious". Look it up, dammit. As bodies go, this one is pretty lithe and readily shows its ability to glide through the mouth, in arabesque, of course, while not suffering from over-effervescence (don't you just HATE the overly bubbly ones? I mean, come on, you've gotta get angry at SOMEthing, am I right, guys?). Overall, I'd definitely partake in this experience again, if only I knew how to upholster scents...

03-24-2010 03:32:53 | More by TMoney2591
jjanega08

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

A= pours a super hazy yellow color. Sort of a light orange yellow color. The head is two fingers of white thick bubbles. Some spotty lacing on the glass.

S= Smells really odd. Pungent as well. Tons of spice to it. I smell mint in it. Spruce, sort of menthol, cough drops, and vomit. Loads of spice. The most unique thing I've ever smelled and it sort of worries me. Never played with the Gruit style but this smells a lot like cough drops. I dunno about this.

T= The taste isn't nearly as offensive as the smell made me think it might be. There is a nice lemony zest that hits my tongue right away. The minty menthol spice comes in a little laster but isn't as bad as I tought it may be. The finish is a little cough drop like but it's nothing terrible for some reason. The overall taste is light like tea. Really reminds me of tea a little. Not bad at all.

M= Great carbonation in it. Really sort of spritzy which fits the flavor profile perfectly.

D= Upon first wiff I was worried about this beer. Then I tasted it and there is nothing wrong with it. I sort of like it. The vomit smell never came through in the taste. Nice beer.

03-23-2010 23:52:23 | More by jjanega08
markbatonrouge

Louisiana

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

It poured an off orange/gold color with not much head. But the main appearance feature were the clumps of solid sediment that poured out of the bottle. Not yeast (though certainly there was some of that) but a thicker set of orange-colored clumps that could easily have passed for ground orange peel. Sediment isn't off-putting to me, but it clearly detracted from the appearance as they swam around the glass.

The aroma was strong, spicey, herby, citrusy, almost like a combination of turpentine, orange soda, and lime. I was totally intrigued by the smell.

The flavor echos the aroma to a great extent. Though, after a bit, the soda-like acidity and sweetness wore on me. My liking of the beer went fairly quickly from "intrigue" down to "can't wait to finish this one and try something else."

Mouthfeel is this beer's strong suit, in my view. It feels thin and clear, a nice sharpness to it, and a lovely effervescence.

In the end, even the mouthfeel contributed to a soda-pop like sense of this beer. My friend said it reminded him of a shandy (god forbid!), and I wouldn't go that far, but the herb/sweet/spice/effervescence combination did make it a very unusual beer that moved in the direction of soda pop, almost a cross between ginger ale and a light lager with various other spices thrown in to complicate everything.

This is another beer I'm very glad to have tried. I like trying unique things, and I won't hesitate to try other gruits in the future. I may try this one again -- after a long day in the sun? with a spicy cold fruit soup? some other unusual circumstance? But I'm not ready to go grab another just yet. Not when there are so many others to try!

03-05-2010 01:20:18 | More by markbatonrouge
ktrillionaire

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

G - .3 Aventinus glass.

A - Cloudy with particulates and sediment, and a persistent micro-head but no lacing. This beer has a great deal of information about the ingredients and inspiration for the brew on the label, so read it!

S - Bizzarely, I detect A-1 Sauce or Lea & Perrins Worcestershire from the get-go, and also ginger, peppermint and tea tree notes. Despite the mélange of spices, the aroma (and taste) is neither unbalanced nor overpowering.

T - I've had other Gruit-style brews, but often they are disappointingly south of exotic. This, however, is a strange, exceptionally interesting brew; it is similar in body and base to a Berliner Wiessbier, but way spiced up with some crazy tastes. This beer has a strong ginger flavor initially. Honey sweetness, but very subtle. As you adjust to an initially shocking flavor profile, the individual flavor constituents become discernible and identifiable.

M - Relatively thin, lightly carbonated, exceptionally refreshing

D - Awesome. This Dr. Fritz Briem, who makes these historic brews at Weihenstephan, kicks ass. 1809 is a real winner, and this is too. Such an intriguing flavor; exotic, yet familiar.

02-12-2010 05:24:41 | More by ktrillionaire
tiffanya

Washington

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in pint glass. The color of golden straw...like Rapunzel's hair. Spicy-herbal aroma. Initially picked up a lot of ginger on the palate. As the beer warmed, other flavors came out to play like an herb garden dancing on the tongue: rosemary, bay, anise...and more ginger. Hints of citrus. Spritzy carbonation. Quite refreshing and flavorful.

02-06-2010 21:11:15 | More by tiffanya
vacax

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours very pale yellow with some white yeast cloudiness and much effervescence. Fizzy large white head subsides fairly quickly, no lacing. The nose is veritable spice cabinet here. Ginger, cardamom, clove, and a flowery honeysuckle sweetness. I don't find the nose particularly appetizing, however traditional it may be; I have had hopless beers that smell amazing in contrast. The taste is gingery with cardamom and cloves. Malt sweetness is balanced, but the spices makes it fairly crisp with a pleasant ginger finish. Light to medium in body with a high level of fizzy carbonation which seems to complement the spicing. Interesting to try a pint of this gruit, thank you but I have little interest in revisiting this one.

01-05-2010 03:51:39 | More by vacax
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks, beerbeagle, for sniping my wants! Best extra ever.

A- A pear-juice color, fizzy, white-as-snow head, very active. Beer is hazy. Actually looks darker held up to the light. Hmm. Head quickly settles to a 1-finger froth. 5 minutes in, it's gone completely. No lacing. Unlike anything I've ever seen before.

S- Herbs, very aromatic. Lilac, juniper, flowery beyond belief, reminds me of hibiscus. I can smell the ginger that the label says is in the beer. Not so much the anise, caraway, or bay leaves. Interesting.

T- Whoa. Some of the floral notes found in farmhouse and gueuzes. Hmm. Actually, some of the unique tastes here remind me of DFH's Sah-tea, as well.

Floral, a bit spicy, again I can taste the ginger. The hodgepodge of spices works pretty well together, and make for an interesting drink. Hard to put my finger on what exactly it is, other than tasty. And it's pretty damn tasty. A bit of juniper and pine on the back end, earthy for sure, could that be the bay leaves? Orange zest, a bit of tartness that reminds me of Cantillon Classic Gueuze. Really an interesting beer.

M- Complex, but not overpowering in any one direction, good carbonation, and a great, unassuming 'lightness' or 'fluffiness' to the beer make this a winner. Entirely a joy to drink.

D- Good. This would be perfect on a hot day, it is so damn refreshing. It was good on a cold winter night, too. This beer begs to be imbibed slowly, so you can appreciate all it had to offer.

I had NO idea what this beer would be like, and am really happy. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Maybe it's nothing more than a nice change of pace from all the DIPAs I've been drinking.. but I think not. This is a really tasty and really unique beer that everyone should try at least once.

12-30-2009 23:19:58 | More by ShogoKawada
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Wow. Nice beer. Friends and I agree this would be a nice summer beer. The combination of aromas and flavors almost seem a little lemony. And pickles. Very refreshing. Poured with small white head that lasts and no lace. Color is a hazy light yellow. Flavor is similar to nose but lots more going on and really quite good. A lot of this kind of beer I'm not so partial to but this works. Body is very good and great carbonation. Long finish of the same flavs. Don't really think it'd be a session beer though.

12-24-2009 03:19:35 | More by drpimento
lpayette

Vermont

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

No apparent bottling or best by date, which I'm not a big fan of... especially on imports.

Appearance- Extremely light in color. Think about your typical run of the mill "light" beer, now go a shade or two lighter, and that's what you have. Now add lots of yeast haze (dependent upon how carefully you pour) and a one finger bright white head that dissipates rather quickly. On appearance alone I would never guess this to be a grut/gruit, but I'll have to take the brewers' word for it that it's authentic since the label states that it was "brewed according to recipes dating back to before the german purity law in 1516."

Smell- Initial impression I had was perfume-like smell, but after a few whiffs I think I would run as fast as I could from any woman smelling like that... it's much more of a cologne smell. By cheating and reading what went into the beer, I can tell you that the bay leaves seem to dominate, followed by the rosemary, ginger, caraway, and anise. I have no clue what gentian smells like, but that's listed too, and I'm sure it's in there somewhere. There are smells similar to lemon rind and honeydew in there too. Overall it is all very medicinal and tea-like, and very complex.

Taste- As expected from the smell, it's a real shock at first. The many flavors at play however keep it interesting enough to give it another chance. I can sum up the flavor experience with that it pretty much tastes like drinking some sort of lemon tea. There are moments of sourness, but the overwhelming feel is very herbal. It does change quite a bit as it warms up. Surprisingly it seems that there are more flavors evident when a bit colder, which is typically the exact opposite. A more likely explanation is the numbing of the palate to certain subtle flavors over the course of a few sips. The finish is more distinct in its herbal nature than the start. The anise is more evident here, and indeed there is a licorice-like quality. The rosemary shines through near the middle.

Mouthfeel- Malted wheat is pretty subtle but adds texture up front. A mild sourness erases that pretty quickly, and the whole thing finishes semi-dry. Scrubbingly strong carbonation initially, but that goes away pretty quickly and there is only light carbonation within a few minutes.

Drinkability- I wasn't sure if I'd want to finish this or not, but the complexity and the act of thinking about (writing this review) kept me interested enough to do so. This isn't for everybody, but I suspect if you are a big tea drinker, this may be just what you are looking for (especially if allowed to warm up).

12-16-2009 07:37:21 | More by lpayette
gford217

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

500mL bottle poured into pint glass.

Pours very light - a hazy straw with a big fluffy white head that recedes fairly quickly to a small collar. Not much lacing to speak of.

The aroma is fantastic and super pungent. I can smell the ginger from across the room and when I get closer, it's just a massive mix of all kinds of herbs and spices with some light fruit hiding underneath...way underneath.

The taste is extremely pungent as well with an almost minty character. There is plenty of ginger and anise and probably some of the other spices that I couldn't identify if I had to. There is a definite grassy, slightly earthy farmhouse thing going on as well with a dry finish.

The mouthfeel is light bodied and lively on the palate with strong carbonation. It's extremely refreshing and tingly.

I've looked at this on the shelf of the local store for ages and finally bought it. The herbs are awesome, especially in the nose, though it gets a tad tiring in the taste. Either way, a solid and very unique beer.

12-02-2009 03:03:41 | More by gford217