1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut BierProfessor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  4.60% ABV

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.

(Beer added by: Slatetank on 07-29-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Appearance: Hazy yellow, small head, and some lacing.

Smell: Flowery, lemon zesty, yeast, and spices.

Taste: Very subtle lemon, even less yeast, and spices galore.

Mouthfeel: Light.

Overall:
A very odd beer. Tastes like a spice garden with a little lemon on top. The tastes are faint, yet the beer is not watery. The flavors are due to the grut style of brewing. There are no hops used.

megahurts4, Oct 09, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a hazy, yellow color. 3/4 inch head of an off-white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of anise, strong spice, slight yeast, and slight wheat. Fits the style of a Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of spruce/ginger, anise/nutmeg, slight yeast, hint of tart malt, and lemon citrus. Overall, an unusual beer. I'm not sure how to rate this as far as it fits within the style. It had a good blend, body, and complexity.

Tone, Oct 06, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a slightly hazey bright golden color with a pure wheat head of tiny bubbles. Much like a Berliner weisse, the head evaporated fairly quickly and leaves no lace.

The aroma on this beer is nuts. It has a definite spice like character to it that is very peppery and savory. The bay leaves used to brew it are easily picked out and, along with the rosemary, really dominate the nose. Anise and tart wheat are also present, but much more buried.

The flavor is just as intense as the aroma with the bay leaves dominating even more. There is a definite sour twang in this beer and the only malt character I can discern through all that spice is very wheaty. Other flavors include white pepper, ginger, anise, clove and lemon.

This beer has a body that is on the light side of medium with spritzy carbonation. The finish is tart and refreshing, leaving a surprisingly small amount of spice on the tongue.

I really am not sure what to say about drinkability. This beer is very interesting. It is also pretty quenching. Does it taste good though? I am not so sure, and if you told me I would never drink this again I don't think I would be too disappointed. Still, this is a beer that was quite eye opening, and is worth trying at least once.

By the way, do not swirl the remains of this bottle and pour it in like it was a hefe or wit. You may get little chunks that look like dead sea-monkeys. You're welcome.

zoso1967, Oct 06, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Very hazy yellow with a white head that settles kinda quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Explosive blast of herb aromas. I can pick out the anise but I don't know enough about the other herbs to identify them by smell. I love how this beer smells.

Taste: Tart and heavily herbed. Very nice.

Drinkability: I could drink glass after glass of this all night.

BierFan, Sep 16, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- cloudy sickly colored yellow with a white head which quickly died out
S- smells very interesting like herbal tea with lemon light pepper notes dried leaves ginger, a nice malt backbone at the end, definitely original
T- lemony in an herbal kind of way with lots of peppery spice balanced by a slightly sweet malt foundation a bit of a tangy finish in the slightest way.
M- fine for this beer
D- only 4.6 very drinkable but i dont know how much of this you would wanna quaff
To be tried at least once, cant say ill buy this again but didnt regret it.

foogerd, Aug 24, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

I had to give this a try to experience a beer that was made the old way, before hops became the norm...before the Reinheitsgebot. Grut (or gruit) was all that was available before someone had the bright idea to bitter beer with it in the 11th century, maybe prior. So let's taste a little history.

The color is unimpressive and now we know why the popularity of pilsners coincided with glassware. Prior to that, you never really saw the beer. Pilsners are pretty, this ale is not. Cloudy, pale yellowish orange with bits and pieces floating around in the carbonation.

The smell is interesting, not good or bad, though. My first impression was tonic water mixed with lemonade, but then some of the individual herbs came out. Ginger, anise and rosemary were pretty obvious, but I had to read the label to pick out the rest.

Well here goes...hmm, tastes a little like ginger beer with herbs. It's odd not having any hops to tickle the back of the throat, There's no real bitterness, but a light astringency, almost medicinal, like lemon-eucalyptus cough drops.

Pretty thin in body with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Luckily, the aftertaste leaves behind some of the ginger and not so much of the medicinal feeling. If you like the taste, you could probably drink this all day, but I imagine that it would be an acquired taste...not one that I plan on acquiring though. I'm also ashamed to admit that I passed on drinking the lees for a change.

Naugros, Aug 09, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a hazy yellow color with a small, thin white head. Little to no retention.

S - Smells very, very spicy. It reminds me of halls cough drops mixed with ginger and clove.

T - While there are a couple of flavors floating around here (wheat, coriander, banana) they are all overpowered by ginger. Not a bad taste, just strong and different.

M - Light and crisp. It has a slight bite due to the relatively high carbonation.

D - While I can appreciate the style, I think another poster said it best. "This is a beer that would best be shared with a group of friends".

CMW, Jul 27, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Hazy and cloudy blonde body with minimal beige head.

S - Smells herbal, spiced, natural.

T - To me this was like drinking cold, carbonated vegetable soup broth. Tastes like barley, oat, wheat, and even bay leaves and other dried green herbal flavors. Some citrus tang there as well.

M - Higher carbonation, not too heavy. More like a standard wheatbeer.

D - I had a hard time finishing this bottle. The taste is strong enough to make this one a bottle to share with a couple friends just for the experience.

Notes - Try it to see what its like. Its worth having something new that you probably havent experienced yet. Definately a unique brew.

BeerForMuscle, Jul 18, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Got this interesting piece of history thanks to kkipple, then later noticed that its around here. But still looks cool.

A: Head rises up the neck of the bottle as I decap it, so I rush to quickly pour it. A fizzy soda like head rises up quickly to 2 fingers, but fades quickly as well. It's probably the haziest mofo I've ever seen! A murky pond water banana colored soup like concoction, with some yellow orange tan colored ugly beast.

N: I could smell this thing wafting out on the pour from a few feet back. It's a spicy mufu! All the spices listed on the side come wafting out to my nostrils, teasing but scorning them alike. Some orange peel to go with that, as well as aromatic malts, some wheat, bitterness from the various bittering spices and hops, some fruits like fig and the lot. It has quite an effervescence. It's almost like a spicy root beer combined with ginger ale and lots of spices all blended together with some malts.

T: Wow again, that interesting ginger ale and root beer combination strikes again. This time the spices are lighter, allowing me to breath a sigh of relief that it doesn't destroy my palate. It has a crazy combination of a myriad of spices one cannot comprehend. Everything from ginger, corriander, orange peel, to the bay leaf all seem to shine on their own. It even comes with it's own fruit, more fig again, a little raisiny, and hints of banana. THere are also some malts somewhere in there, a little wheat, creamy malts, and slightly toasty.

M: Medium to lighter body with tons of carbonation.

F: Semi bitter, lots of light lingering spices, which seem to die rapidly after the nose. More orange peel here as well, a little anise, more bay leaf, and the lot. Pretty dry as well, with again a touch of creamy malt and some fruit lingering.

jlindros, Jul 16, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Yellow, cloudy, and hazy with black chunks of floaties; very thin head with minimal retention and lacing

S: A spicy medicinal quality dominates; an herbal funk too; cloves, ginger, rosemary, and lemon are present in the aroma as well

T: Slightly sour with an herbal quality; kind of tastes like unsweetened lemonade

F: A tad thin but with overall decent mouthfeel

D: Quite refreshing though the herbal funk does make this a bit difficult to drink too much of this; a nice venture into an old (and new for me) style

dbossman, Jul 11, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

This was a very interesting beer to drink, and reviewing it will be interesting.

This beer was a pale golden brew, cloudy with dark floaters, and the head was fast, fizzy, and loud. Definitely not your average beer, and close to my impression of the style.

Aroma had many things going on at the same time. Initially it was quite herbal. Further consideration allowed me to discern menthol, green peppercorns, camphor, rosemary, and ginger, with some light pale malts beneath it all. It reminded me of a topical fibromyalgia pain reliever I have gotten for my fiancee.

Taste was herbal, which was expected. Ginger and anise made themselves known, as well as some rosemary at the swallow. Somewhat medicinal, but not in a bad way. No bitterness at all.

Mouthfeel was light and dry. This beer was well carbonated, and seemed to invite the next sip.

A little lower mark for drinkability, however. Although this was interesting, and not bad per se, by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I was ready to move on. One was enough.

connecticutpoet, Jul 08, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

Great Odin's raven, how have I not reviewed this one yet?! Fixing this right now. From notes (and many bottles):

I'M FRITZ BRIEM BITCH! </ Rick James> Okay, now that we've the requisite introduction out of the way... no really, try it out loud, it's funny... who is Fritz Briem? I mean, his name is on the label of this (I assume) contract brewed beer by Wiehenstephan... a quick Google sez: he was "a member of the technical and research staff at Weihenstephan."

Okay. So the good Doctor obviously knows his stuff. Now onto the beer. This is a Gruit. It replaces hops with a tonne of weird botanicals including Ginger, Anise, Gentian (???), Rosemary and Caraway. Oh, and Bay leaves. Okay. So now you have something to go on with.

I dunno... the best review of this unique minor masterpiece is simply to crack one for yourself. Serve at around 55 degrees F and go to town... as it warms all kinds, and I mean all kinds, of weird, impossible to pinpoint aromas come out of this hazy-pale yellow ale. It's sort of mystical, actually.

The nose is quite simply a cornucopia of herbs. Insanity. Potpourri. Lemon, ginger (check), anise, pepper, tart, tea-like, grassy, spicy, earthy. You'll come up with your own adjectives. There is zero hop aroma, of course, and barely any real malt to be smelt, leaving your brain and nose reeling from the (well balanced) herbal assault. Smells sort of like walking through a spice aisle, but fresher. You simply MUST experience it for yourself -- exceptional? Yes.

The flavor is weird, and woolly, and herbal. Fritz Briem (...bitch) has made a beer like absolutely NOTHING else I've ever had.
No food, no drink has come within yards of the unique herbal-fizz punch this... thing... packs. it's soft and drinkable and tart-sour and light and as you sip on this beverage your eyes get wider and wider and you get The Fear and expect elves or kobolds to suddenly leap out from behind the oaks and rowan trees that keep... getting... closer... they'll drag you into the circle and force some vegetal potion down your throat and you'll feel light headed, and dance with them till dawn, till you awake to find yourself face-down in a freshly cut lawn with a three eyed moon-child scattering flower cuttings over your prone form while she hums in a high-pitched, sing-song voice... the trees, the colors...

Er, sorry, where was I? Oh, yeah, the Gruit. Please drink some. Find it and drink it out of a goblet while listening to your trip-out music of choice and wearing less clothing than you'd usually.
This is devastatingly unique, to me, and I love it.

On a more... useful note, when I serve this to beer geeks, which is often, I tell them to think of it as an herbal soda. It only remotely resembles beer, but is supremely memorable, mind-expanding and, dare I say, delicious. Surely the best Gruit I have had to date. Fritz Briem, I bow in your general direction. Keep taking orders from the faeries and I'll keep drinking.

kkipple, Jul 04, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -38%

Bottle into my Rochefort glass.

Pours a light murky honey gold, not head or lacing, not much here...Aroma is strong and varied, lots of fresh herbs bursting through, rosemary, thyme, aloe mixed together. Together its quite pungent almost to strong and not in a good way. Very medicinal...The taste is an instant gagger, way to medicinal, chalky taste and texture...The feel is good, not at all drinkable.

This might be worth trying to get a good idea of what beer was like 400 years ago. But its not at all drinkable. More gimmick than anything else.

jrallen34, Jul 01, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +12%

A: Pours a slightly murky, slightly orange pale yellow. Very white head only gets up to a finger before receding.

S: All spice, baby. Definitely caraway, a little bit of anise, rosemary, and bay leaves as well.

T: Starts off with a refreshing, light sourness. The caraway lurks in the background for a second before coming front and center for awhile. Towards the middle it's less prominent, and I get a good bit of rosemary and bay leaves. The aftertaste doesn't seem to be much, but minutes later, I can still find a bit of caraway and bitterness in my mouth. Don't really get any ginger, and the only possible place I detect the gentian is in that aftertaste. Taste is more balanced and complex than the smell, and thus gets a higher score.

M: Both carbonation and body are light and work well.

D: Pretty high I think. This is my first grut, and it's certainly unique, but none of the spices are overwhelming, and the gentle sourness helps too.

An intriguing and enjoyable beer; I will definitely take a chance on other interpretations of the style when I encounter them.

WorldWideStout, Jun 25, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

I can always rely on kkipple to send me the oddities. Thanks a ton for this one, Dan! Very interesting.

Grut Bier pours a very light lemon color. It's a little hazy. Backlighting gives it a gold look. A soft white head covers the top and rises to a finger and a half in depth. Retention was definitely on the shorter side. Lacing was very, very light.

The nose is pretty good. It's very herbal and spicy. That's actually a bit of an understatement. There's a host of interesting, spicy notes here. I'm getting pepper, perhaps a bit of clove, possibly some juniper twig. It smells a little like a Sahti. It's very grainy and earthy. There's maybe some light lemon here. Alcohol is buried. Very intriguing.

The flavor is oddly reminiscent of a Sahti. I believe it's the juniper twig or something. It's a very distinct smell and flavor. It's damn spicy and herbal. I am getting pepper, light clove, and ginger. There's definitely more that I can't identify. It's grainy and quite earthy in character. It has a light citrus presence. Tastes like lemon to me. Hops are definitely in the mix. They have a slight bitter kick, and dry it out quite a bit. Alcohol is not at noticeable. Finishes spicy and dry, dry, dry. Honestly...I like it.

Grut Bier has a very light body. Carbonation is active and a little crisp. It's actually quite refreshing. Not bad at all. Drinkability is above average. The flavor is unique. No question about that. I like it, but it's definitely odd. Not something I'd want more than a bottle of in a sitting. It goes down easy though.

I'm much more impressed with good ol' Professor Fritz Briem's Grut Bier than I anticipated. It's quite unique, has an interesting flavor, and a definite throwback feel to it. It does remind me a Sahti, but that's not a bad thing at all. If you're looking for an interesting experience, try this one on for size. It's a good one. Thanks, Dan!

prototypic, Jun 11, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a very pale, slightly hazy gold with tons of effervescence. The fizzy head is one of the shortest-lived I've experienced. Looks like fizzy gold water.

Aroma is excellent, with tons of medicinal herbs and funk. Think Saison spiced with ginger, rosemary, anise and carraway.

The flavor is like the aroma: quite interesting and unique. There is a pronounced sour component reminiscent of a tart Saison or Dr. Fritz's other beer, 1809 Berliner Weisse. The finish is incredibly herbal, with a pronounced ginger note. I also get a lot of the rosemary and anise used in the brewing process, but not so much of the gentian, precisely because I have no idea what it tastes like. This beer is on the lighter side of the mouthfeel spectrum-- this is to be expected given its color and alcohol content. Refined effervescence lends some creaminess and interest to the feel. Could use some more malt and texture, but that would ultimately change the character of the Professor's beer.

This beer is really something special. It's like I'm drinking some ancient medicinal tonic. Quite refreshing. Sehr Grut, Herr Professor!

dasenebler, Jun 08, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -12%

This beer is LOUD. Possibly the most audible beer I've ever poured, this one doesn't have much head, and has some tiny floaters flitting about like Sea Monkeys. Lightly-hazed lemon-juice yellow color.

Aroma immediately recalls ginger ale, but quickly morphs into something more complex. Remarkably spicy and herbal nose, the best word is "exotic." It's an aroma that gives a zillion impressions if you sit there sniffing it long enough. Details aren't necessary, although the label gives much away: brewed with bay leaves, anise, ginger, rosemary and other herbs/spices. Intriguing, scintillating, flowery and vibrant, to say the least.

Flavor is very medicinal. Not in an alcoholic way, obviously, but in terms of how concentrated the herbal flavors are. More like designer soda than beer. Bay leaves, rosemary and ginger are especially prominent. The finish leaves a coating of ginger, very much reminding of Tom's of Maine's Ginger toothpaste, which is great toothpaste, but we're talking beer here, right?

Highly carbonated, yet managing a softer texture--helps that the body is light.

"Refreshing" says my wife, and I agree--although the weirdly medicinal vibe has me wondering what illness I have. Kudos to Dr. Briem for keeping a centuries-old tradition alive. Not one I'd try again, though...but hey, nice aroma.

Metalmonk, Jun 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 17 oz bottle into a chalice type glass.
Pours a beautiful hazy golden straw color with some sediment floating in the glass, some at the bottom. Thin off-white head that fades fairly quickly leaving a ring around the glass and some spotty lacing.
The smell is amazing, like a handful of fresh herbs. I can pick out the rosemary, anise, and ginger distinctly, along with a soft lemon scent. There's a little bit of a cough drop smell to it though, so not quite a 5 on smell.
The malt, wheat, and herbs blend well, giving it a slightly spicy ginger-lemon, a great floral/herbal taste blending all the herbs together, a little bit of breadiness in the finish and a nice spicy/herbal aftertaste that fades slowly.
Light bodied and very smooth. Easy drinking too, if this came in six packs I would drink it all day.
Overall a very enjoyable and unique beer. If I didn't know it was a gruit I'd have guessed it was a very smooth and well made wit.

busternuggz, May 28, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pt .9oz bottle into a pint glass. The label lists the abv at 4.6% and there is a disruption of the beer. It doesn't have a freshness date however.

Appearance: It has a hazy yellow body with a thin white head. The head quickly fades to just a small ring of foam. Lacing is minimal and slick, sliding right down the sides of the glass as I drink.

Smell: The aroma is full of interesting savory spices over very light whole grain bready malt notes.

Taste/Palate: There is a mild sweetness up front which quickly dries out as herbal and botanical flavors move in over the tongue. Notes of ginger, anis, and caraway seed stand out. There are also some lighter hints of herbal tea, lemon zest, rosemary and pepper. All this mixes with its base of dry wheat and pale grainy malt. The finish is slow, dry, and herbaceous (tea like) with an odd complex mix of flavor notes. Medium bodied with lively carbonation it drinks surprisingly well.

Notes: Overall I find this beer to be interesting, complex and oddly delicious. For me this one pushed the limit of what is and could be.

generallee, May 20, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Bright yellow pour with a nice billowy white head. Aroma is very medicinal, apertif-like. Hard to specify a single herb. Taste is flooded with lemon zest, and the medicinal herb taste follows. Quite unusual. Body is smooth, but drinkabilty is kept to a reasonable level by the sharp tastes.

All in all, and interesting drink, but not one I will be rushing to revisit.

Onibubba, May 19, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Very hazy, amber/yellow sort of color. High carbonation level. Very floral and spicy aroma. Somewhat minty and grassy. Fairly crisp upfront with a lot of herbal and spicy notes. I cant place the main spice-if I think of it I will edit my review. Mild anise flavor. Quite the lively mouthfeel. Low abv makes this somewhat sessionable but the higher levl of spices and floral notes might make more then 1 or 2 difficult for some. Still an interesting beer and glad to have tried it after reading some favorable reviews in the press.

lackenhauser, May 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: It poured light yellow in color and slightly hazy. A light to medium level of carbonation is visible and a thin layer of bubbles consistently covered the surface.
S: The smell is very interesting and unique--there's a strong aroma of herbs and spices. Notes of ginger and rosemary particularly stand out.
T: As soon as you take a sip, the flavor of the herbs and spices hits you right away. There seems to be a good balance amongst them as not one particularly stands out. There's a bit of sourness in the overall taste.
M: It feels light-bodied, bubbly and prickly on the palate; there Is some dryness in the finish.
D: This tasted pretty good by itself and I might have this again the next time I am looking for an interesting change of pace. It might also be interesting to pair with a salad during dinner. Like gueuze, it's definitely an acquired taste, but I am liking it more with each sip. It's also very refreshing and might make for a good drink on a hot summer day.

metter98, May 02, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

My first time trying this ancient style of beer; pretty cool idea to sample something from the past. Pale yellow, slightly hazy color without much head. Medicinal aroma. Taste is pretty strange; savory would be the best description; ginger, along with some other herbs. Pretty "fizzy" mouthfeel; a fairly light beer. Not something I'd drink regularly, but nice to expand the palate.

medic25, May 01, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Gruit beer. 1pt., 9fl. oz. bottle served in my SA Perfect Pint. No freshness dating indicated on the bottle. Bottled opened with a gush. Poured a hazy gold with a three inch, loose, bright white head that gradually disperses into a mere skim of a cap. No lacing on this one. Nose initially presents with a big citrus character, but as this dissipates, a big herbal presence manifests - rosemary, sage, fennel; very interesting and complex. Taste consistent with nose; however, much more subdued in the flavor profile (thankfully). Mouthfeel is light-bodied with an easy carbonation and some acidity at the finish. Interesting and complex, but not something I would seek out again.

Jwale73, Apr 30, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with a fizzy white head that is gone soon. No lacing.

Some tart grain aromas, as well as honey and sharp herbs.

Lighter than expected with some tartness, then some honeyed sweetness, with sharp bites of herbal notes and some soda water bite as well. Ok.

Lighter and fizzier than expected. Clean flavors. Good.

Overall, went down ok. Nothing I'd really chase again, but you won't hate this. A Scottish Gruit from Gemany. Not bad.

OtherShoe2, Apr 25, 2010