Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier - Professor Fritz Briem

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut BierProfessor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier

Professor Fritz Briem
Germany

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Slatetank on 07-29-2008

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute (  http://www.doemens.org  ), brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier Alström Bros

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

I've been wanting to get my hands on this brew for quite some time and low-and-behold
it shows up at the beer store next door to my place! This is going to be a perfect treat as my
weekend starts now...

Pours up cloudy gold with a quickly fading, frizzy white head. Lots of yeast balls nestled into
the bottom of my Duvel chalice. The nose is what'll blow your dick off. It smells of ginger, anise,
rosemary, menthol, lemon peel, mango, licorice. Amazing! Taste is not as diversified. Tart,
oranges, lemons, white pepper, pale malts, floral hops. Spritzy carbo, medium leaning light
bodied. The best gruit I've ever had! Find this and drink this. You won't be dissapointed

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle.

A: Pours a very hazy egg yolk yellow under an extremely thin (1/16") white head at the rim and leaves a couple of spots of lace.

N: Boat loads of spices and herbs, bay leaves and ginger are prominent along with anise and rosemary, some thyme, clove, perfumy florals.

T: Grapefruit pith, ginger, nutmeg, clove, flowery. Reminds me of a medicinal tonic.

M: Semi-moderate body and very light carbonation. Spicy and herbal finish lingers.

O: Unique and glad to say "thank God for hops".

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.75

Bitter like Unicum Zwack. Similar in taste to a herbal bitter (underberg, etc.) would make a very nice digestif. Not a quaffable beer but a nice drink st the end of German. Soapy, bright, herbaceous taste. Golden straw appearance with an almost non-existent head. Overall, worth a try.

4.68/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a whitish pale gold that is nice and cloudy with a thick, rich long lived white head that settles very slowly leaving more of a tall ring than a lacing. My observation is that the head is so thick and slow to settle that it pulls itself back down the inside of the glass.

The nose is somewhat spicy and crisp with hints of bread, grass, tangerines, ginger and bay, and is very pleasant.

The taste is extremely unique and reflects this brews unique style and origins. The notes of ginger, bay leaves, anise and the combination of the wheat and yeast are a great success.

The moutfeel is reach and delivers the complex taste to eh palate nicely.

Overall this is an exceptionally good beer. Very different but very good. I will drink it again, and again, and...

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a cloudy and pale yellow gold, obviously (clearly?) unfiltered, with a little bit of sediment settling down to the bottom. The head is a creamy pillow of pure white, roughly one finger tall and holding its form for the session while dropping down deposits of webbing, patching and spotting in tandem.
This is an aromatic and fragrant bouquet with raw, rustic, herbal and earthy qualities. it's also slightly sweet, plenty tangy, and quite spicy overall. In the aroma and the flavor there's an overlying floral quality and, beneath that, a consistent perfume. I'm reminded of flowering heather in the slightly bitter, stemmy and general particularity of the spicing, while a firm backbone of dry grains and wheat-like notes hold it up and a strong taste of tangy and zesty lemon juice, maybe a hint of peel as well, hit the nostrils and the tongue at all times. There's a light minty note as well mingling with the rest, and the spicy bite has an edge like ginger or wasabi. It goes generally grassy, too, with a hint of something similar to spruce tips but underneath the rest. With all the complexity, depth and overall flavor to this beer, it may, as strange as it is, be as good a Gruit as one could find.
Flowing smoothly on the tongue and with a crisp bite that never fades, there's a dryness both from a leafy and woody feel and from a certain acidity that carries through without being harsh. The lemony tang and zest evens out the dryness and lingers well.

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

How cool is it that we get to at least try something called 13th Century Grut Bier in 2014? For that reason alone I am glad to be alive in this day and age. And for other reasons too, of course. But that's a good one. Also, how weird is it that some dude in Germany named Professor Fritz Briem is apparently the only guy on the planet brewing 13th Century Grut Bier? I have so many questions about this beer.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter. This beer is a nice opaque straw color. The cloudiness dissipates after a while and it mellows out to a pretty golden straw hue. Not entirely clear, but a shiny gold color. The nose is very herbal, almost medicinal. Strong on the ginger aroma here. I like this smell, but I'm not sure what to make of it. The taste is tart and bitter up front. Heavy rosemary and ginger presence. Unlike any other beer I've ever had, but then again I've never had anything claiming to be a 13th Century Grut Bier before either. Almost unpotable at first, until you sort of get used to the taste. It kinda grows on you, though. Kinda. Very dry and bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light, which I'm presuming was intended.

An odd beer for sure, but very interesting. I'm not a huge fan of this, but I like the idea of the beer completely. I could see sipping on this instead of a hot toddy next time I'm sick with a nasty cold. I would hope all the herbs contain some sort of healing powers that I could extol among my friends when they're sick as well. "Try this! It's strange and hard to drink, but has mysterious healing powers no one can explain!" Yeah, I like this. Give me a 13th Century Grut anytime. Cheers.

1.74/5  rDev -54.5%

Poured into a pint glass out of a 500ml bottle.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head. While there is no lacing at all the head retention is quite nice.

The aroma immediately reminds me of a cough drop. Absolutely loaded with menthol along with perfume and cleaner. While it is definitely spicy it sure isn't something that appeals to me.

Unfortunately, the taste is no better. It's like someone dissolved a cough drop in old lady's perfume and mixed it with lemon juice. Nearly gag-inducing for me. To top it all off the overwhelming astringency pretty much makes this undrinkable. I'm trying to appreciate the style and history but I just can't drink this. Down the drain it goes.

Overall, I really can't get past the medicinal taste and extreme astringency. I like to think I have a pretty expansive palate and there are very few beers I just cannot drink but this is one. This might just take the cake as the worst beer I have ever tried.

Professor Fritz Briem 13th Century Grut Bier from Professor Fritz Briem