Black Magic RyPA - Cellar Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Cellar Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GRPunk on 11-28-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

06-30-2014 13:13:30 | More by I_BYE_MI_BEER
StoutHunter

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Cellar Brewing Company's Black Magic RyPA last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I wasn't too impressed with the this brewery's Pale Ale, but I'm interested to see what they can do with a Black IPA. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The looks ok, but the skull with sunglasses and a mustache looks a little weird, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a finger and half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer and I thought it looked true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a earthy, and grassy hops aromas with some fruity hops sticking out the most imparting a nice berry and citrus fruit like aromas. Up next comes a little bit of that spicy rye and it's followed by the malts which impart a nice dark roasted malt, caramel, and chocolate like aromas with a slight tobacco like aroma showing up in the background along with a slight smokey aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I liked the combination of the fruit aromas with the chocolate aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but much blander and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and this time they impart some grainy, roasted/toasted, and light chocolate like flavors. Up next comes the hops which are pretty similar to how they were in the aroma, but they are lighter and this time the earthy, grassy and herbal hops seem to stick out the most with the fruity hops showing up in the background. On the finish comes the rye which is nice and noticeable and it has a slightly lower amount of medium bitterness with a grainy roasted malt, herbal and grassy hop like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting Black IPA, but I wish it had the same balance that the aroma had.

M- Fairly smooth, a little watery, a little rich, slightly creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it wasn't watery.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average at best Black IPA, when I got to the aroma I thought this was going to be an awesome beer, but as soon as I got to the taste I was let down, and it left me wanting more in just about every single aspect. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little watery, a little rich, slightly creamy, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me since I don't have an urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was easily my favorite aspect and I really liked the combination of the roasted malts and chocolate flavors with the fruity hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it just left me wanting more since, every thing seemed to be toned down from the aroma and it didn't have that good balance that the aroma had. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not hard to find a better Black IPA and I don't think I would recommend it as good Black IPA, but it might be worth a try. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this one, I was expecting great things after how good the aroma was, but after the aroma every other aspect turned out to be disappointing. I do think the Rye was represented nicely and it worked well in this beer. This isn't my favorite Black IPA and it's now my least favorite beer from this brewery. I appreciate the effort, but this one was pretty rough around the edges and it could use some work, better luck next time guys.

05-23-2014 03:38:41 | More by StoutHunter

LambClowder

02-24-2013 17:54:58 | More by LambClowder
wingman14

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours reddish black with an mocha head. Smell is dominated by hop with some of the rye poking through. The rye comes in first with a slight bitterness with the hops staying through the rest. A dry and bitter finish, for the hop smell this one is less bitter and hoppy then anticipated. A dark roasted flavor comes in the aftertaste. A medium mouthfeel, smooth, low carbonation. Overall an enjoyable beer, good hop and rye flavor, and a nice balance between the two.

12-27-2012 22:23:31 | More by wingman14
JDizzle

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Had on tap at Hopcat in GR.

Pours jet black with a light frothy head. Lacing has legs for days!

The aroma is a bit of a let down. It comes across a little hoppy, malty, and smokey. Kinda mute though.

Right away I taste the rye with a nice blast of roasted malt. This is very flavorful! Good smokey taste on the finish. Not really as bitter as I would have liked though.

Mouthfeel is medium full with a nice thickness. Carbs or right on.

Damn fine black rye India pale ale!

10-18-2012 18:24:52 | More by JDizzle

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

01-29-2012 20:04:34 | More by sweatervest27
GRPunk

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

I had no idea what to expect here. It's referred to as "Black Magic," has Ry(e) in the name, plays on the IPA title, and cleary says India Pale Ale on the bottle.

Bottle poured into an imperial pint.

A- 1/2-finger, tan-brown head. Dark brown body with deep, reddish tones, mahogany perhaps? Port-like in the light? It appears to be pretty clean with light carbonation. The head drops to a thin film quite quickly and leaves decent sticky spots. The vessel doesn't do any favors to the presentation, so I'll give it the benefit of doubt.

S- Lots of leafy, tobacco-like hops while still in the bottle. Once poured, an additional pine-like quality mixes with grainy or cereal-like malts. Another inhale, and the grainy quality imparts the rye I was expecting. Hopping really runs the spectrum including citrus and tropical fruits at points.

T- Toasted and grainy malts mix with pine-like and grassy/minty hops. Fairly clean/dry finish from hopping. Almost malt forward at first sip. The more I drink the more the rye comes through and the flavor grows on me.

M- Terribly undercarbonated. Otherwise, decent feel. Dry finish.

O- From initial confusion over stylistic naming to the first sip, it was a bit of a letdown. It suffers from a major labeling, identity crisis. Once I settled in, it was a decent beer. May have been a better, or more enjoyable, review had I known what I was getting.

11-28-2011 00:37:57 | More by GRPunk