Offshore Amber Ale - Offshore Ale Company

Offshore Ale Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Offshore Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Offshore- Amber

On tap at the brewpub.

A- Deep amber red with a good sticky head.
S- Strong sweet caramelized malt with a heavy cracked grain aroma.
T- Sweet sugary malt with hints of caramel and cherry licorice. Nice dry grains like sunflower seeds, seseme, oat, and bran.
M- Very sweet and malty throughout with a dry hoppy finish.

Overall- Excellent amber and quite a good beer to start off my day! I see its offered in bottle form but on tap at the brewpub is truly the way to go!

4.27/5  rDev +17%

Appearance - Poured a clearish, amber color with red hues. Quarter inch head which dissipated quickly, leaving behind little lacing.

Smell - toffee, buttery, sweet malts, butterscotch, caramel

Taste - best part of the beer. caramel/toffee/sweet & toasty maltiness up front which ends very clean with a hint of yeast. Extremely tasty.

Mouthfeel - good body, good carbonation. what more do ya want?

Drinkability - I could take several of these down throughout the night. Several, meaning all night. Great session beer. Highly enjoyable and a great representation of the style.

4.24/5  rDev +16.2%

This was a curiosity to me when we received a sole case of it at the store I work at. Per usual, I refer to my boss when a new product comes in that peaks my interest, and ask him "how it is".

I've been on an amber style kick for a few months now, and this beer is fairly local, paired with my boss giving his recommendation, I decided to give it a spin.

A pleasant surprise, I fell in love with it. Really nice balance here, with some citrusy notes, but nothing too overwhelming. It's really one of the best beers I've tried in a while, and when we have it in, I recommend it to any of my customers looking to try a new, easy drinking brew with a good amount of character.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a nice amber color with a thin one-finger head into my fluted glass.

Aroma is full of light hop aroma and sweet malt underneath. Standard issue aroma.

Taste is decent with sweet malt, light hop bitterness and a bit of smoke in the taste. Seems alright in the mouth. Nothing fancy.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering smoke, sweet malt and not much hop bitterness. Predictable.

Not bad. Average but it's easy to drink and would fit well on a hot day. Certainly more tasty than a light beer.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap @ Linwood 6/2/06. Served in a pint glass.

I liked this beer a good deal. Considering drank it after drinking an Unearthly, I was surprised snd impress at how well it stood up. It pours a slightly hazy reddish amber with a nice hear. It is juicy with a nice malt backbone. Call me crazy, but there is a little bit of a lingering saltiness as it goes down. This beer is very drinkable and, for the style, pretty interesting.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Alright, I have had this many times and each time it surprises me that "just an amber ale" can be so good. Earthy hop aromas mixes with bready malt to form a cohesive aroma. Appropriate medium mouthfeel coupled with earthy hop flavors make this drinkable and not as boring as most amber ales. Perfect match for your St. Paddy's Day dinner.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

I feel a little guilty that this is my "standby" beer, the beer I drink when I look at the selection in my fridge and can't make up my mind. It shouldn't be a standby because it's a mighty fine beer, with the nice copper color and an excellent balance of malt. I get the hint of sweet without it being overly sweet, and just the right balance of bite.

I enjoy drinking this beer, and I can honestly say that it's taste profile does a lot of really fun things when paired with something salty. I've done this with cheese before, but today I'm drinking the amber with some pretzels. Quite a little treat.

I can only imagine that this is a great beer to have while lounging around out by the water when there's a tidbit of salt in the air.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Sampled due to Brewfan's efforts.

Pours a cold hazed amber color almost red, nice pale tan head.

Smell is malty and spicy with a bit of a herbal edge. Bread dough scent with a good toasted edge to it. Faint chocolate and coffee odors.

Taste is malty and toasted whole-wheat bread at the beginning. Good full grain flavors continue through the experience of enjoying this. Hops are herbal in nature and are matched just right with the malt level.

Mouthfeel is good.

Pleasant super drinkable ale here. Flavorful and mild with a medium alcohol level make this a natural session beer.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

This brew comes to me from my buddy Lucas.
A chilled bottle poured into a pint glass.
The brew pours a clear copper color with a small beige head foaming up and fading quickly to a surface layer.
Aroma is caramel and toffee with some grassy hops mixed in.
The beer has an average body with prickly carbonation.
The flavor is malty sweet up front with caramel and toffee dominant, this gives way to a quick grassy hop hit then allows for a malty finish with some chocolate flavor on my palate. The beer is smooth and easy to drink and went well with my Fantasy Football draft.

This was my second beer while visiting the brewery in Oaks Bluff. An amber beer that truly did pour amber, there is about a two finger head to it that sticks around for a bit. This is a very smooth beer that starts off a bit hoppy but has a crisp clean finish to it. I was a bit more partial to the stout that day, but the Amber Ale is one I would have again and again...

3.98/5  rDev +9%

This is a damn good amber ale. Thanks to ppoitras for including this in his BIF33 package.

The beer pours to a nice amber color (what were you expecting?). The head is nice and fluffy with a great carbonation supporting it. Lacing is left in sheets. Looks very nice.

The smell is good. Has a nice spicy herbal, floral hoppy nose. Probably a noble hop strain.

The malt takes the dominant flavor in the taste. Has a good sweetness and a very light biscuity malt flavor in the finish. Just enough buttery diacetyl to set off an alarm in my tastebuds, but it goes well with the flavor.

The mouthfeel is a bit on the mild side and prickly from the carbonation. The hops give a nice peppery bite. Could use just a bit more body, but it's good.

Very drinkable. I could have a session on this if it were available to me. Quite surprisingly one of the better amber ales I've had. Thanks again, Pete.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a clear amber color with reddish hues. Nice white foamy one finger head that leaves a decent amount of lace.

S: Aromas of bready malt hit the nose first but there are slight underlying fruity hop notes in there also.

T: Well balanced beer. Slight fruity hop infusion noticeable at first that transforms into a wheaty malt flavor. Finishes smooth with an aftertaste of wheaty malts. Exactly how an amber should finish.

M & D: Mouthfeel is excellent on this offering from Offshore. Well balanced ale with enough going on that you aren't bored. Kind of on the light side, which is nice as you can a few of these. I would rate the drinkability on this on as high, as again, its very easy to drink and tastes great. Definately a good summer ale. Good work Matthew!

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Poured a reddish-copper color with moderate slightly off-white creamy head.
Smell is very mild, with a slight mal-fruitiness detectable.
Taste is nicely fruity, and extraordinarily refreshing.
A bit thin at the finish, but some mild bitterness is present.
Great session beer.. Would go well with most foods.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Nice guy CSS hooked me up with a six pack.

Serving Type:Bottle poured into a pint glass, it had a copper tinged body with an off white head, it smells delish.

I can taste the malty goodness, with subtle hints of caramel, not overly sweet. Pleasant throughout serving.

This was an enjoyable brew to drink while I watched the Patriots toy with the Browns on a early December afternoon. I think it would be a great dinner beer, as it doesn't overpower my palate. I've had a few Offshore Ambers now and appreciate each one more than the previous one.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

I met konabrewer (the brewer at Offshore Ales) at a tasting he was hosting at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Somerville, MA. Great guy, talked a lot of beer and had a sample of his excellent amber. I picked up a six pack to go and I'm reviewing from one of the bottles therein. No freshness date evident, but I was assured the beer was right off the bottling line.

Appearance is (ahem) amber, with a thin white head. Nose is full of tart malt and some hops. Taste is more bready tart malt with a dry but not very bitter finish. Simple but very satisfying taste - extremely refreshing. Mouthfeel is light but not nonexistent with a decent amount of carbonation. My tastes run more to hoppier beers, but this is a near-perfect session brew. A great beer to bring to a party and advocate with.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

This is a more complex Amber Ale than I would have expected. It is one of those beers that offers a slightly different experience in the midsection and the finish. Enjoyable in both, however. The beer pours a clear orangy amber color with a smallish off white head that doesn't last all that long. The aroma is quite mild, crystal malts, some caramel notes, some toasted notes, slightly nutty tinges as well. The aroma is quite subdued, however.

The midsection of the beer is quite creamy and light to medium bodied. There is an ever so slight peaty quality, some very typical amber ale caramel notes, lots of sweetish malts blending together. Towards the finish, the beer dries out quite a bit, there is a hoppy linger that is quite pronounced, and the beer tends to water down a bit. There is also a lot more crispness to the beer towards the finish. The aftertaste on this beer is very long and surprising. There are more toasted caramel flavors in the finish than in the midsection. This is a nice beer, worth seeking out.

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Deep amber color--bronze or copper shade. Good head retention-thick lace clings to sides of glass. Astringent, coppery smell that is kind of bleach-like- not too uncommon on some of the smaller brewpubs/breweries. I have noticed it from BBW so why wouldn't I from Offshore?

Taste-wise it is dead-on or spot -on for what it is trying to be. Dry mild amber ale. Buttery character but dry and clean-there is some malt which is much more evident than any hops. Dry. Mouthfeel is dry and pleasant but dry. Not exactly my favorite style but clearly a good example of what its trying to be and quite smooth. I cant think of too many Ambers I would favor over this one.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

On-tap at Yesterday's in Newport.

Amber/red body with ashort white head, leaves a little lacing. Smells of sweet amber malts. Taste is a touch fruity and finishes with well-balanced hops. Somewhat comples malts in the middle. It was hard to put this one down. Just a very nice session beer and an excellent amber.

All in all, a somewhat underrated amber. Give it a try, you'll like it.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a red-amber color with a small head that dissipates quickly to a lacy ring. Malty nose with a bit of fruitness. This beer tastes it's best when it's warmed up a bit, that's when the flavors balance nicely. Strong malt backbone with a bit of a fruitiness, but nicely balanced with the hops. As others have noticed, there is a bit of saltiness that lingers on the tongue. A good brew with Offshore's signature of balance.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle.

This amber ale poured a clear, amber color with good carbonation and creamy, off-white foam that lingered and clung to the glass. The smell was malty with some notes of caramel. The taste was malty and a bit tangy with a light touch of caramel and some nutty flavors. It was mildly hoppy. And there was a very faint sourness in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy but dry with medium body and good carbonation. Overall the feel was just a tad thin. The flavors lingered on the palate. This was a good amber ale.

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Fairly typical looking ruddy brown. Semi-transparent, tiny bubble rising up. Head adequate but dissipates quickly, leaving thin, broken layer. Lacing's OK.

Smell = potent punch of nicely balanced hops and malt. A bit more on the malty side. Smells a little coarse but really full of flavors.

Taste = Good tasting red ale. Nice tangy hops presence initially leading into doughy malty bread flavors. Pleasant, refreshing aftertaste. Medium bodied, good drinkability.

Overall = An enjoyable, well made red ale. Nothing outstanding or unique but solid in every category, would make a decent session beer.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz bottle bought as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a clear glass pint mug, formed a 1/2" light beige head on top of a slightly orangey-amber hued brew, which quickly faded to a layer of bubbles. Nose is slightly nutty malts, with hops apparent. Taste is initially the nutty malt from the nose, but is quickly overcome by a combination of citrus and hops crispness. Interesting, was not expecting that from the aroma, almost like amber meets summer ale or something. Mouthfeel great, and the crispness throws it into the summertime thirst-quencher arena, in my book, where only the highly drinkable dwell. Wish I could try more of their brews without having to ride the Authority, never been to the islands...

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

I do believe this beer is new to the Boston area. Pours out a cloudy, almost home brew like, tan color. Very small head that doesn't seem to last. Smell is sweet and malty all the way. A touch of citrus is also mixed in. The taste starts off great as it appears malty and very complex. The middle and end seem a bit unbalanced. More like the homebrew that I mentioned before. Overall a solid NE brew that I will look for again. My next mission is to try this on tap.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Pours a light brown with hints of cherry color; bright white fingers worth of head, nice sticky lacing

S - Malt forward, a light fruity nose, yeasty

T&M - Good carbonation and medium body. Heavy malt presence gives a thicker feel, but a nice hop zing balances it well with a citrus flare. The yeast is giving this a sort of nutty flavor that mixes with the fruit notes - can't quite put my finger on the fruit...apples?

D - Smooth drinking, interesting flavors and a reasonable ABV; I can see having more then one

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

I'd like to get out to the islands and try this on tap. I have a feeling it'd knock me off my kilter. It poured out of the bottle a nice amber (a la and American amber), with just enough head to ring the edges of the glass to form a spotty-stringy combo lace. Dried fruit aroma... I noticed apple and apricots. The flavor is well-balanced in the hops with floral tongue-tones. The finish is a bit citrusy. This would be a great beer to crack open in the summer... too bad it's January. Alas, I must wait 6 months to see if I am right.

Offshore Amber Ale from Offshore Ale Company