Madra Allta India Pale Ale - Lavery Brewing Company

Ratings: 86 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by crc1935:
4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 'glowing' orange with small head.

Smell - strong hops, pine, some citrus.

Taste - Dry and bitter. Well-balanced between bitterness and toastyness.

Mouthfeel - lightly carbonated. long-lasting aftertaste.

Overall - Very strong IPA offering. Not overpowering in ABV. Strong hop taste is similar to West Coast IPAs; and Devil's Backbone in VA.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yep, you guessed it. Another can courtesy of the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a brownish/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, pine, a bit of mustiness. Taste is of piney hops, some bitterness, a touch of citrus, just a bit on the mild side. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer, but a little lacking in punch.

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not all of my CANned beers purchased here in Lancaster come from The Friendly Greek. The Fridge does not have a huge selection of CANs, but they do get some good ones in from time to time with this being just one of those occasions. I see that tone77 just beat me to the punch in reviewing this one today, also. My 2,600th review!

From the CAN: "Brewing Innovative Ales in Small Batches Erie Pennsylvania"; "Unfiltered - Real Ale"; "Madra Allta, Gaelic for 'Wolf', is a classic Ameri[CAN] IPA. Brewed with a solid malt backbone and the unmistakable pine and citrus flavors of true Ameri[CAN] hops. From the silvery woods, there comes a call ... Slainte".

The Crack! unleashed some foam, suggesting a highly carbonated beer and putting the kibosh to an inverted Glug. No worries as I still netted two fingers of dense, tawny head with very good retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17), living up to its unfiltered billing. Nose smelled like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. This could be my air freshener if they ever packaged it as such! Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were prevalent, but not overwhelming, which is okay by me. I have been on a CANned AIPA kick recently and some have been palate wreckers. I am not complaining, mind you, but I appreciate a break when one comes my way. The grapefruit/citrus flavor was prevalent, underlain by a caramel malt flavor that kept things in check. In fact, the caramel came through so strongly on the finish that I will call it semi-dry. Great lacing lined the glass as I drank. I guess that this one is going to depend on what you are after. If you want a tongue tearing monster, this ain't it, but if you CAN enjoy something more subdued, then you may want to give this a try. Let me know if you would like me to send some in a trade.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Been way too long since I have had something from Lavery. I have wanted to try this one for some time now, so was more than happy to see it on the shelf. This is out of a bottle though, and not a can as pictured. I wish there was a date on this bottle, as I would like to know exactly how fresh it is.

Almost a brown hued orange on this one. Nice white-ish head. Strong resin on the nose. Bit of pine too. Flavor is earthy and robust. Very much an east coast kind of IPA. I like it. Very much suggested.

3.84/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this on tap at Brewhouse Grille, served chilled in a pint.

The color is tarnished golden with light haze and quick dropping white band of beads with spotty lace. The smell has a mildly grassy and slight herbal odor with light citrus accent. The feel is very good moderately high bitterness, but relatively low sweetness with medium carbonation and semi-thin body.

The taste is decent with a nice grassy hop flavor with subtle fruitiness from the yeast and very light malt, with hardly any cushion for some of the coarse bitter flavors. This is decent, very drinkable for the strength, but is not as mild or smooth bitterness wise as it could be. It seems aggressive for the sake of being bold.

3.29/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from can into snifter, no can date. Pours a cloudy/murky orange, with a decent 1.5 finger barely off-white head. Head thins out to literally nothing, no lacing whatsoever.

Smell is subdued; remnants of some citrus and pine notes, but underwhelming

taste is a bit more forward, with added spice notes and great malt backbone

feels old. not crisp or bright at all. certainly drinkable, but not outstanding.

overall just OK ipa; dont love it or hate it; i think the spice hop combo throw me off a wee bit.

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured from can into an IPA glass. Very hazy orange, nice two finger head with thin collar remaining after a bit. Some lacing.

S- Holy pine. Getting grapefruit along with a dank pine note dominating the nose. Not overly pleasant but different. I like different.

T- Refreshing and a very different take on IPA. Not floral but the piney dank grapefruit I expected from the nose. There's a unique flavor that resembles a mild spice in there. Can't put my finger on it.

M- Medium body with little carbonation. Leaves the mouth kinda dry but not too much.

O- I like this beer. It's a piney dank approach to IPA that's actually quite refreshing after having a flower power. I enjoyed the uniqueness but wouldn't deem it outstanding.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Heard good things, so I picked up a sixer from Whole Foods.

A- Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tulip glass. Yielded a really nice off-color head of about 3 fingers. Not the most attractive color on this beer. A very muddied, cloudy, rusted orange. Some particles floating around in there. Guess that's what you get with an unfiltered ale. Leaves some solid lacing on the glass.

S- Pretty decent nose. Standard for an IPA. Grassy with some hints of pine. I swear I smell coriander in there as well.Strong citrus aromas, namely grapefruit. Not the greatest nose, but still decently enjoyable.

T- Along with the aroma, the flavor is solid, but not amazing. Grapefruit juice is what seems to dominate the flavor. This beer has a really nice malt backbone, backed up nicely by the hops. A little less grapefruit and this would be well-balanced.

A- Really smooth IPA here. A little heavier than usual, but I don't mind at all. A well-carbonated beer too.

O- A solid offering from Lavery. I've really enjoyed the beers I've had from this Erie brewery. An affordable, easy-drinking IPA. Would have no issue buying some more of this beer on a regular basis.

to view more.