Imperial French Ale (Bourbon Barrel Aged) - Lavery Brewing Company

Imperial French Ale (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
No picture uploaded.

Lavery Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Morey on 01-11-2014)
Reviews by lunarbrew:

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark ruby red with a slightly off white head.

Smells of some dark fruits, sweet malt, and bourbon.

Flavors of raisin, plum, bourbon, and roasted malts are not perfectly balanced, but tasty nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is what I found wonderful about this beer, warm, sweet, and bourbon burn to finish!

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how good I found this, very tasty and would drink again.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle served into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass 5/31/2014.

A- Hazy amber-brown body with a foamy two finger white head with a long retention time, streaky lacing as the head dies down into a moderately thick film with staying power. Honestly, this is not a very pretty beer- it reminds me of gross lake water.

S- Lots of grapefruits, tangerines, pear. Some graininess, oak and a bit of sweet booziness. This smells great; very aromatic and interesting.

F- Presumably, the bourbon is the source of a fusel-like character throughout the beer which is also accompanied by grainy wheat & malt, oak. The citrus character so present in the nose is muted on the palate. Some floral character comes out near the end but make no mistake, the booziness makes its presence known through and through.

M- Medium body, carbonation is on spot. Finish is the aforementioned sweet bourbon flavour that leaves a muddled finish as if it can't decide between dry or resinous.

O- Couldn't put a finger on what this beer was trying to accomplish, but it certainly went big on the booze. The nose smelled great, presumably it was generously dry-hopped; didn't quite translate to the palate which had plenty of overpowering rum flavours. If you enjoy a nice booze bomb, hit this one up. If I had my druthers, I'd say this seems to run in the French Biére de Garde tradition (like Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien) with a nice New World spin with the dry hops and bourbon.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was a hazy amberish orange color. It poured with a thick, long lived head.

So this is why its bad practice to review small sample sizes. My first whiff upon popping the cork and my first sip left wondering how well this would work as a marinade. No way i'm drinking 25 ounces of this. But I have to say this really grew on me after a few ounces. It's definitely an odd hodge-podge of weirdness, but it kind of works. Every element the label promises, fro m the word "bourbon" scrawled in sharpie, to the C hops, to the Belgian yeast is easily discernible. That combination doesn't sound very good and I'm wondering what I was thinking when I bought this bottle. I'm not sorry I did, but this is an unusual purchase for me.

The disparate elements don't flow from one to other in a harmonious way, they kind of all just yell and jump up and down looking for attention all at once. Pithy grapefruit, oaky tannins, sugary booze, and farmhouse yeast are just...there. This doesn't really change as I chew and ponder each sip. My overall impression of the beer and enjoyment level are changing for the better, yet I've never had such a multidimensional beer come across so homogenized for lack of a better word.

Overall I have to say this works pretty well I think, but that may be the 11.5 abv talking. If I ever come across the other versions I will have to buy them.

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%