Daymark - Rising Tide Brewing Company

Rising Tide Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Rye Beer |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: dciBA on 04-13-2011

Chart a new course with Daymark as your guide. We start with a classic, clean and crisp American pale ale brewed with spicy Columbus and Centennial hops. Then we accent the grain bill with rye grown on small local family farms right here in Maine and malted to our specifications at Valley Malts, an artisanal malt house. Finally we dry hop the finished beer for a bright floral aroma.
Ratings: 255 | Reviews: 67

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic pixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

As an APA, this was ok. There was a metal after taste that did not appeal to me. Reminded me of Sam Adams Noble Pils.

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

So I've been pretty excited about this one. I love rye beers. I poured this into a pint glass and I've simply dissapointed. For the record on ths I bought this a couple weeks ago and it's been sitting upright in my refrigerator since. So here goes. Poured into a pint glass. Lots of creamy white head and soapy lace sitting atop a hazy dirty looking body. It looks like the unfiltered apple juice I buy for my daughter. Giant gobs of yeast are sitting on the bottom of my glass. Better let this settle down a bit in hopes it gets better from here.

So this smells pretty good. Lots of grapefruit in the aroma with a little bit of melon. Bitter citrus hops mostly on this one with a little bit of that kickin' rye scent. So far so good. Bitter musty hops through and through on this. Mostly this is really hoppy with a little bit of melon flavor and rye. Nothing great here.

Decent feel here. This one is a little sticky and the body is a bit heavier than I would like. Nice soft carbonation. Overall this is actually a little dissapointing. I have some bottle of their other offerings so I'm hoping those go better. Damn, this one kind of broke my heart. Maybe I got a bad bottle, so the next batch that I see I'll give it another go. I'll rereview if I need to.

3.39/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A: slight haze; light gold in color; a lot of bubbles rising; 1 finger white head that receded to a thick cap; light lacing;

S: muted; slightly floral;

T: perfumy; gets more intense through mid-palate and then begins to fade toward the end; no real malt character; no rye character;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; dry finish;

O: the perfumy hops need something to balance them out;

3.49/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber > Pint Glass
This also includes notes from on tap at the brewery.

A - Pours cloudy straw with two fingers of foamy white head, thick lacing.
S - Very floral, grassy, a touch of earthy hop spice, some citrus and light tropical scents
T - Taste is similar to aroma, but extremely lacking in bottle form, on tap it had a little more kick, some more of those tropical notes and some pine. From the bottle sample its just a touch of citrus and some grass and fades out to a real mild bitterness.
M - Watery and thin, still bright and crisp.
O - Starts out decent, but goes downhill fast.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wineglass. Bottled on 052314 on side of label. Single purchased at Craft Beer Cellar (Waterbury, VT).

A: Lemon yellow, slightly hazy, with 1/2-finger of off-white head with average retention and a few random spots of lace.

S: Somewhat earthy, dirty aroma, herbal presumably from the rye, with lemon-lime citrus hoppiness and crackery pale maltiness. (3.75)

T: Very lemony without being overly tart or sour, rougher herbal notes from the rye, and a very slight hint of pale maltiness, almost pilsner like. Good but nothing special. (3.5)

M: Smooth and balanced with a light body, light carbonation, and dry finish. (3.75)

O: Not a bad beer but nothing to notable. Not worth the higher price per bottle ($3).

3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber, no date to be found.

Pours a cloudy light amber with a massive head. A bit overcarbonated but my, this head is nice. Pillowy eggshell, very clingy.

The aroma is excellent, with big citrusy and spicy West coast hop notes.

The flavor is very bitter, and a bit unbalanced. Borders on astringent. Hop flavor is spicy, accentuated by the rye malt. A very dry beer, which I appreciate, but the bitterness is too much. Mouthfeel is a touch overcarbonated, but still manages to be somewhat creamy.

A great-looking and -smelling beer, but just too unbalanced for my taste in Pale Ales.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy light brown colored body with a frothy one finger white head that lasts a good two minutes. There are some bubbles on the sides of the glass separate of the head. There is very little lacing as the beer goes down.

S: based around the hops, where's the rye? hmmm... I do not notice anything else, no malts, ok, no big deal I guess

T: centered around the hops with a touch of malts every so slightly in the background. There is some coriander that comes in close to the end of the beer.

M: light to medium, quite creamy with a citrus/hops tang leaving a slight bite in the mouthfeel. Basically, for lack of better words, it is fun. I like it. I would say this is a pretty drinkable beer.

O: this is a good beer. I have been enthralled by the appearance. I would have this again. I will ask this: is this a Rye Beer or an American Pale Ale? Whatever, it doesn't matter to me.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Bottle shared by Sammy, 650ml into a tulip.

Browned orange with a big white head. Great retention and lots of lacing. Nose has some lighter orangey/citrus notes, grainy breads, rye and some sweeter bready malt character. Taste has a drying grainy rye bread character, bitter citrus notes and light cracker and spicing. Medium mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Bitterness is overpowering to the point where it detracts from the beers. An OK pale, but bittering is too aggressive for my liking in the style.

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber back in May while visiting Kennebunkport. Poured into a stemmed beer glass. Way over carbonated. It foamed way up in the glass, and while I was tending to that, it spewed out of the bottle and all over the table. Unfortunate. Once it settled down, I was able to continue. Hazy sunshine yellow color with a fine white head. Smell had a pungent aroma of tangy hops. Taste was excellent. Lots of spicy hops, but a bit of malt to help things out, then a nice dry crispness at the end. I liked the mouthfeel a lot - very fresh and assertive. This is a very nice beer that I enjoyed a lot and was glad to try, except for the overflow accident.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

A great overall sip! Good stuff!

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

This poured out as a hazy yellow color with a huge white foamy head on top. I tried to pour this as slowly as possible but it didn't seem to matter. I gave the head some time to settle before pouring the rest of the bottle in the glass. The head had a good retention and lacing. The smell of the beer was very lemony, the rye gave off a nice little spice note in there as well. The flavor of the beer was pretty good also. The rye and citrus seemed to go pretty well together. The other flavors of grains balance the beer out a little. The mouthfeel was on the lighter side and had a nice crisp bite in the finish. Overall it's a pretty good brew if you enjoy rye. I'm not a huge fan of it but I felt that it worked well with this beer. I would say it's worth trying, I can't say that I'd buy it again though.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Fresh bottle from Maine. The rye and the Centennial and Columbus combined make this a very bitter beer, even astringent. Would like to distinguish the rye spiciness if I could. The bottle says a pale, its not that. It is more malty with sediment on the bottle and grows on me as far as drinkability, but it is also a palate eraser and harsh.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Pale hazy blond body with nice foamy white head. Very good retention and lacing.

S - Lemon grass hops and rye spiciness

T - Lemon and floral hops upfront followed by nice rye maltiness.

M - Medium/light body with moderate/high carbonation. Slick, wet, and very drinkable.

O - This was great. Not overly complex but a good light and dry rye ale. Would make a great barbecue sixer.

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on February 12, 2015

The pour is yellow with a long lasting white foamy head. Busy carbonation.

The aroma has a grainy malt character but a notable lemongrass or at least lemon citrus note.

Light to medium body.

The taste also has a grainy, grassy taste with that lemon bite.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, light gold in color, high carbonation, hazy

Smell: citrus hops, lime, and lemon

Taste: citrus hops, pale malt, lime, and lemon--light rye

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with a slightly bitter finish, light bodied with high carbonation

Overall: An interesting pale ale/rye beer with a lot more lime taste to it than I had anticipated. The rye is there but it is faint. I have had better from this brewery, but I would not turn this down.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow color, with about one finger of white head. Heavy lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Citrus, hops, and some pine notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, medium to light bodied. Taste of mild citrus and hops, very mild IPA, not a "hoppy" as I expected.

Overall: Good beer, If you are just getting into IPAs, this is one to start out on. It gives a good overall IPA flavor without the huge punch of intense hops.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sampling a cold bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle was "born" 8/11/14. The beer pours a clear bright golden hue with bleached white head of 2 cm foaming up. Head is frothy and fades slowly leaving some scattered lattice as it drops. There is a bit of cloudy sediment towards the bottom of the bottle that creates some wisps of beige spiraling through the beer.
Aroma is mild with some grainy malt and a bit of floral hops. I also get just a whiff of spicy rye, but that is even more mild. The nose is appealing but generally not very robust.
First sip reveals a light body with very fine and tingly carbonation. The beer drinks very easy. Flavor is some sweet caramel, grainy malt and some grassy hops on the finish. the hops are crisp and linger a bit after each swallow. My palate also dries out quite a bit on the finish.
No real rye hints and certainly no ABV either. the burps are all hops with grass and herbal tea notes.
Quite a quaffable brew and well made. The rye having just a bit more flavor profile would enhance the beer, but otherwise I enjoy this one.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Along with my Thai chili sausage @ the Thirsty Pig

The beer pours a clear, watery looking golden yellow with a thin white halo of head that offers mild lacing. The nose is a touch spicy/hoppy with a sweet backbone. However, the flavor brings forth a lot more rye and hops that play off eachother to create a spicy/bitter phenomenon. The mouthfeel is relatively sweet initially that transitions into a bold, spicy bitterness. There is a lingering sweet, hoppy aftertaste. It reminds me a lot of a less citrus-forward hopped rye of the tiger. The beer is worth trying once, but it's not worth another pint.

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz. bottle: This one pours a clear golden color. There is a bit of a foamy off-white head on it. Decent nose. Piney hops are the most prevalent. Some floral notes also. The taste is also good. A bit bitter, with no real sweetness. Pine, as well as some spiciness. A medium malt body. I’d have another.

3.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tumbler: color is straw gold, opaque, head is bright white and presents about 1/2 inch thick then dissipates to a ring and laces the glass.

Smell is crisp, hoppy, fresh aroma, fruitiness and some light pine and earthy notes; malt is toast and biscuits, but lighter than the hop note.

Taste is also crisp, very clean flavors, malt is more noticeable than aroma but the hops are still very fresh and present. Malt flavors are toast, biscuit and some light earth from the rye. Hops are more earthy and piney than presented in the smell, but very enticing and bittering.

Mouthfeel is crisp and drying, focused on the tongue.

Overall a very crisp and aromatic pale ale, the rye is noticeable in the flavor but less so in the aroma with a crisp dry mouthfeel.

Served on-tap at Novare Res

Nice light golden yellow color with a bit of haze and a fluffy white head. Aroma features some citrus hop notes over a strong bready and malty backbone.

Fruity and sweet up front with a good bite from the hops that provide some herbal character as well. Malts add some biscuit notes with just a bit of a kick from the rye. Really enjoying how this beer balances being both a rye beer and a pale ale.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp and plenty refreshing for a nice summer rye beer. Overall, this is my first beer from Rising Tide and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I love a good rye beer but have been rather disappointed with many I've had recently so I'm glad this one came along.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is cloudy dark yellow in color and has some yeast particles visible near the bottom of the glass. It poured with a finger high dense white head that has excellent retention properties and consistently left a short head covering the surface and a coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of citrusy and floral hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste seems like a pale ale with notes of citrusy flavors and a light amount of bitterness but there some spicy notes of rye towards the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite drinkable and the use of rye adds a twist of spiciness to the finish.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with some gold and orange in there as well. There is a two finger, fluffy white head and some decent retention.

Smell: Sweet malt along with some citrus hops. Hints of pineapple and a very mild spice.

Taste: The taste is very mild up front. Some grain, but there isn't much sweetness at all. As you progress through the sip, the flavor builds. There is a decent amount of rye spice and very bitter citrus peel hops. My only knock here is that the bitterness in the finish could use something else to cut it a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very aggressive carbonation and a finish that is mildly slick and a bit sticky.

Overall: This is a really good beer that could be great if the finish fit the rest of the sip a little bit better.

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a house pint.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark straw with a big pillowy, foamy white head that almost looks like cake icing and sticks around with good retention. Nice lacing on the way down.

Aroma: Smells of rye toast, crackers, and some hop bitterness.

Taste: Nice balance of spiciness from the rye and fruity flavor from the hops. Solid malt backbone, too. Really good beer to pair with pizza.

Mouthfeel: Easy on the palate. A little less than medium depth I'd say.

Overall: Very nice session ale from Rising Tide. Way more interesting than your average blonde/pale ale. I love a good rye beer and this is one.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Looks like ginger ale in a glass,average head & lacing. Nice hoppy aroma but not at all in the citrus vein, and with a slight peppery edge that makes its way into the flavor.

Certainly hoppy, sort of tangy and medium mouthfeel.The flavors are an unusual blend of pale ale hopiness with a peppery edge that is likely the malted rye, and seems on the unbalanced side as the flavors don't blend all that well.

Glad I shared this $7 bomber with a buddy because I didn't find the 11 oz in my glass all that inviting. When I don't look forward to the next sip with anticipation, I know it isn't a beer I'll spend my money on a second time.

Daymark from Rising Tide Brewing Company