Zephyr - Rising Tide Brewing Company

ZephyrZephyr

good

Rising Tide Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Heady like the sweet breath of Zephyrus, our India pale ale is redolent of citrus, apples, and pears, balanced by a touch of caramel. We use malted barley grown by local farmers and add a special blend of Cascade, Centennial, and Calypso hops to create this juicy, hoppy ale.

(Beer added by: BEERMILER12 on 08-11-2012)
Reviews by Teleweizen2:
3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

Rising tide zephyr

A - pours a hazy amber which starts as a dark red up top but slowly gets lighter with more hints of yellow toward the bottom. An impressively thick head of foam bubbles up quickly. Saying it is mousse-like would be an understatement. Great retention as well.

S - the aroma is muted. Notes of grapefruit, lemon zest and pine blend with a sweet caramel malt profile.

T - strong malt profile. Notes of gooey caramel and nutty flavors. Intense hop bitterness cuts through with notes of bitter orange peel. The fruity notes enter mid palate with flavors of oranges, white peaches, and lemon pith. Finish is fairly clean with just a tinge of bitterness.

M - medium verging on full bodied. High creamy scrubbing bubbles.

O - a nice east coast ipa. While not my favorite interoperation of the style it was still a pleasant drink.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

on tap it has a bright golden look, honey colored and clear, with an inch or so of soft white head as pure as can be. the aroma is orchard fruit and juicy hops, while the grain character seems minimal. the taste is similar, although the barley malt adds some faint toasted bread notes, pine nutty almost too, but the hops may contribute to that some. less citrus and a whole lot more apple and peary as I sip on it. bitterness is only average, which lends to drinkability. I was wanting this one to be a little more distinct, more unique to itself, but it gets lost in the crowd a little I think, fails to stand out despite being of utmost quality. cascade hops just seem a little played out right now, no matter how good the recipe.

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer was a hazy copper color with a fluffy, off-white head. There was a little bit of lace.

Sweet caramel malt aroma, then citrus. Interesting to me, there was a bit of a pear aroma.

Mostly grapefruit taste. Also a lot of caramel. The pear aroma translated well in the taste, and there was even a bit of apple.

Pretty cool, hoppy and sweet. More caramel than I would have expected, but very pleasant and enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at Pour Farm New Bedford--served into a pint glass

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, moderate carbonation, brown-orange in color, clear

Smell: citrus hops and light toasted malt

Taste: light toasted malt, bread, pineapple, and light grapefruit at the end

Mouthfeel: sweet with a dry bitter middle and end, light body, medium carbonation

Overall: A solid citrusy sipper. I enjoyed this one, would get it again, but there are others in the style I would get first.

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, mkabull!

Clear, very dark orange, with an amber hue, and a large, persistent off-white, large-bubbled head that leaves messy, irregular, spiderwebs of sticky, chunky lace down the glass. Gorgeous IPA.

Sweet caramel and pine combine in the aroma, along with just a hint of a citrus character, but it's very mild. Appropriate, but it doesn't stick up to SoCal IPA's I've grown used to.

The flavor follows the aroma, with a fairly high level of earthy bitterness, even for the style, along with pine, and floral notes. Very drinkable, but not a particularly pungent or exciting IPA. Nice.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Good, but not great.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I am always happy to find a new local hoppy beer.

Served in a Duvel tulip from a Bomber at cellar temp.

Appearance - caramel colored with half inch beige head. Certainly darker than I expected.

Smell/Nose - Totally devoid of the piney/ tropical fruit that I prefer

Taste - Much better than I expected, Good malty overtones with strong bitterness at the end.

I have to admit that I am a West coast IPA fan. My Favs are Pliny, Heady, Lagunitas Sucks, and ODell.
This beer is far from this type. Not an English style or the newly designated East coast style either.

Not my fav IPA this fall but worth a shot.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

4.33/5  rDev +17%

This beer is like walking through a pine forest, chewing spearmint gum (in a good way). It is a way over the hop, piney IPA. I like beers like that, but it is a little gimicky. This is a completely one sided, hoppy IPA, but I don't know if I would drink it often. I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad I tried it, but it is a little pricey. Whenever my taste buds want to go to the North woods, I'll get a Zephyr, but I don't know how often that will be.

Zephyr from Rising Tide Brewing Company