Entrepôt [oats] - Rising Tide Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Rising Tide Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Entrepôt [oats] is the first of our "warehouse ales". Fermented with a blend of French and American ale yeasts, this edition of Entrepôt features pilsner and hard red wheat malts with a healthy dose of oats. Orange in color and slightly hazy, this beer has notes of citrus and pepper and a luxuriant mouthfeel from the oats.

(Beer added by: ToasterChef on 10-07-2012)
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Snellgg5, Nov 05, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

dunix, Oct 29, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -7%

This beer that I can't pronounce is the first of Rising Tide's new "warehouse ales" series. I guess since they brew in a warehouse and not a farmhouse, any saison they make will be a warehouse ale. According to their website, it uses a combination of French and American yeasts, pilsner and hard red wheat malts and oats. I picked up this growler on Friday afternoon (while the staff was bottling this year's batch of Polaris—can't wait for that), and it has been in my fridge until Sunday afternoon when I opened it up.

The beer is translucent/hazy and has a golden orange color. The head, made up of off-white foam, was small but long-lasting. There is a modest amount of rising carbonation; all of it very tiny bubbles.

There is some strong musty yeast aromas coming off of this beer. I can also smell the wheat and oats. There is also a distinct pepper aroma.

The beer seems to have a heavier flavor than I am used to finding in a saison. I think it is the wheat and oats that contribute the big malty flavors. The pepper is strongest in the finish. The coating is small but has a lot of the wheat flavor.

This beer is an interesting take on a farmhouse ale. I think I'm a bigger fan of Oxbow's beers when it comes to Maine-made saisons, so perhaps I've judged this beer a little harshly. If the ingredients list intrigues you, I'd recommend you try it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track this limited release down (not when there widely available Rising Tide beers that I enjoy more).

ToasterChef, Oct 07, 2012
Entrepôt [oats] from Rising Tide Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.