Maine Island Trail Ale - Rising Tide Brewing Company

Beer added by: Rochefort10nh on 05-16-2013

Hoppy Session Ale
Reviews by ToasterChef:
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

A chilled 22oz bottle is split between two pint glasses. I have the bottom half of the bottle.

This is a slightly hazy golden straw beer with a pure white foam head. The other pour has a head with more soap bubbles than foam and better lacing than my pour.

There is a very nice citrus hop aroma.

The beer has a big crisp hop flavor. Pale malts provide a good base sweetness. I got some of the yeast in my pour, which I can taste and provide some pepper to the finish.

The beer has a body that's on the lighter side, but carbonation is strong. There is some coating, but it is more watery that sticky. It feels like an easy drinking beer.

I am enjoying this beer. I can see how it would be an excellent session beer for Maine summers. I heard it compared to Founders All Day IPA, and while I don't like it quite as much as that beer, Maine Island Trail Ale does have a lot going for it. I hope I can get some growlers of it for my cookouts this summer. (956 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not exceptional in any way. But also not bad in any way. Just sorta bland & uninspired. Did I just use the word uninspired? Lame. Extra points for coming in a tall boy. (168 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: Almost completely clear wheat gold. Head is a bubbly and loose white with a small slightly dense collar. Minimal lacing with a slightly above average carbonation on the pour. Minimal head retention leaves spots of soapy cap.

Smell: Simcoe right up front. Solid notes of pine resin and pine needle. A touch of tropical fruit runs through it thanks to the Citra. Stonefruit - peach. Pale malt base adds a touch of sweetness but mostly throws cracker and white bread crust. A touch of other tropical fruit but nothing definitive - passionfruit, mango, or something similar.

Taste: A bit more Citra up front with a solid tropical flavor. Hints at peach and mango. A touch of bitterness on the back. Solid but not aggressive pine needle with some pine sap thrown in for good measure. Crackery snap to the malt base with a touch of pale bready malt sweetness. Clean. Hops are nicely balanced offering a bit more bitterness than the malt base can handle, but it works. Slight lingering woody bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly crisp. Medium leaning to light body with a moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: Maine - I didn't know you could do it.

I've been waiting for someone in New England to make an APA that was crisp, hoppy, light, and refreshing. Rising Tide finally did it. This beer falls in the same line as Daisy Cutter and that's about as high praise as I can offer. I'll be keeping this around for as long as I can find it. (1,447 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled 7/19/13.
A great session beer.

Yellow gold color with a thick white head. Ample lace.

Pine and citrus aroma. Sweet malt.

Grapefruit taste, a bit of lemon also. Pine resin. Biscuit.

A crisp, refreshing beer. The bomber went down easily. Wish I had another. (267 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/4 inch head, clear, golden in color

Smell: grass and citrus hops

Taste: grass, citrus hops, and pale malt

Mouthfeel: light body, moderate-high carbonation, slightly bitter with some sweetness at the end

Overall: A decent and above average, sessionable, slightly hoppy pale ale. I would get this again due to the cause, but I wish the beer was more memorable. (398 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Hands down one of the BEST APAs I've ever had the privilege of drinking. Closer to a subtle IPA in my honest opinion. Very citrusy and refreshing. My cousin works for the brewery ad I can wait to see him over the holidays. I only wish you could buy it somewhere else besides New England. (288 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in an oversized tulip. Great for this tallboy can.

Can't be mad at this appearance: foamy pale white head over a golden body with lager-like clarity. Lace streaks around the glass. 4.75

Mango and melon and orange juice on the nose. Light malt sweetness. Really lovely aroma. 4.5

Faintly hints at the lovely nose, with a juicy mango and melon and floral flavor and gentle sweet malt flavor. Occasional lemon sneaks in.

My only qualms with this beer are the body and feel. It's simply too light and bordering on watery. Other than that it's mellow and easy-drinking and has a pleasant bitterness. 3.75

I won't lie, despite the few things I dislike about this beer, I'd still drink about a gallon of it. (715 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +13.7%