Follow our progress ...

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Iron Fist Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by djaeon on 10-16-2011

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4
3.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Orange almost always a nice color for a California ipa, so this one has it going on I'm thinking. Aroma was a letdown. Seemed missing everything, hop aroma, lime, honey, tangerine, all conspicuously missing in the aroma department.

Flavor lacks for having so much 'stuff' in this, maybe it all cross canceled each other out. Maybe my senses were dulled. Doubtful. Just what it had was too subtle, too cutesy with its additions.

3.16/5  rDev -2.5%

Another brew tasted at Churchills Pub as part of the LV/SD/OC weeklong trip. Looks like a nice beer, its got the bright orange appearance thing going for it, always an eager development to drink an ipa that comes to me looking so. Aroma, huh . . . where's the lime and hops? Not a good thing to be wondering when drinking a lime ipa, but ok. No off aroma, just not enough aroma, I shouldn't have to search for hops in a San Diego ipa. Maybe my palate was tired, but then again, I tasted many a hoppy brew after I had this one in the same evening.

Taste, still the same problem, just not enough lime or hop flavors. When you throw those out of the equation, you're really just left with a middle of the road pale ale. It was an interesting description, but the taste experience and mouthfeel were just nowhere near the way it describes itself. Run of the mill pale ale would have been more fitting.

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a bright, yet hazy, yellow orange with decent head. This is a hop bomb (to me), and that's definitely present in the aromas and flavors. Heavy piney and grapefruit flavors. The added lime and tangerine give this a lot of extra citrus flavoring, that in my opinion, put it over the top a bit. It was a little hard to finish for me. Definitely a sipper.

The Gauntlet (With Key Lime & Honey Tangerine) from Iron Fist Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.