Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by elNopalero on 09-11-2011

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 13

Yet another great brew found at the Whip In in Austin, Texas, this one is a solid amber color with a reasonable white cover and nice lacing on the short glass. An aroma of bready citrus and pine hops is quick to lure the ready beer lover. The flavor brings a rye bread idea with clean oat grains and a grassy edge. This is pretty easy drinking for a DIPA and as I go through it I pick up some fruit nougat hints. It’s medium bodied with mild, frothy carbonation and feel. Very satisfying, nice effort.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a sniffer.

Appearance: Hazy golden-straw yellow with minimal white head, due to the server's pour, that clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: At first it is mostly tropical fruit, pineapple, peach, and then it changes as the beer warms up and becomes more piney.

Taste: I was pretty disappointed with the one dimensionality of the taste. Basically straight up bitter, no depth, not much flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium body with a long lingering bitterness.

Overall: I was expecting more from this beer after the first whiff, but as I continued to drink it I wished I had ordered something else. Just didn't do it for me.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer/Houston

From Notes:
Amber/copper coloration with an off white head. Malty, hoppy aroma which follows through to the taste. A nice hoppy mouth tingle, light bodied.

This was actually a good double, all things considered. I think I wrecked my palate with some big west coast dipas, but I think a change of hops would make this one better.

3.87/5  rDev +7.2%

This is the second of the Ranger Creek beers that came out in session form this past summer, but instead of going up a level to a IPA they doubled up and released this big, chewy hop wallop of a brew. It pours a dark straw with a couple inches of foam that lingers. There’s a wonderful bouquet to this beer. Very citrusy, with an enormous floral aroma. It comes across very tart on the palate with a resiny, piney and harsh finish that mellows out as it warms.

Gulf Coast Imperial IPA from Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.