Small Batch Series No. 2: Texas Farmhouse Ale - Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling

Small Batch Series No. 2: Texas Farmhouse AleSmall Batch Series No. 2: Texas Farmhouse Ale

good

Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling visit their website
Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: champ103 on 08-08-2012)

army01, Oct 10, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

JasonMinck, Sep 08, 2013
2.44/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, xpimptastikx!

(Aged for 1 year)

A pretty enough saison. Mildly hazed golden with a persistent, moderately-sized off white head of large bubbles. Not a lot of lace left down the glass, but there is definitely some. Pretty and appropriate.

The aroma is fairly standard for an American saison. Dried grass and hay. A very mild citrus note in the background. What is strange about this brew is there's a bit of a meat/pork character in the aroma. This will really come to light in the flavor, though it's still relatively mild in the aroma, even after some significant warming. Fairly standard, but nothing to write home about, either.

The flavor doesn't come away nearly as unscathed as the aroma. This tastes like a smoked pork saison--which, unfortunatley, aren't flavors I typically look for in my local farmhouse style ales. Moderate bitterness. Lingering meat. I don't care for this.

Medium bodied with near-high carbonation. Appropriate.

A very interesting, but, overall, not a very good saison.

ehammond1, Jul 02, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

BGsWo22, Jan 26, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

drummermattie02, Feb 20, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Very light, very cloudy gold with a thick soapy head that holds the lees I poured as a little brown island in a sea of bubble bath. Smells peppery and earthy, with a hint of banana. Taste is bananas and malt powder and starts to be great and then what the hell happened? The finish is like a mouthfull of dirt. Wow. Buried alive by beer. Its not nearly as great as you'd think. Ugh. The aftertaste on this just hurts. Wow. Mouthfeel is great, tingly and sticky. Did I mention the aftertaste? This beer is like the ex-girlfriend we all have. So good, and so scary. Sure, you go back for the post-breakup hookup, but you always regret it. I keep sipping it because I think, "the aftertaste can't be as bad as I remember." Sucker. No, no, no.

roblowther, Nov 28, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

ReyG006, Sep 17, 2012

TheRealDBCooper, May 25, 2013

ucsbmullet, Mar 15, 2013

ThreeFishes, Jul 16, 2014

jl28r1, May 10, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Pours a murky, dirty looking pale orange color. At first a massive white head forms, but recedes in a second to a ring. Not much lace is left behind.
S: Light Belgian yeast, wood, spice, phenols. Enjoyable, if not particularly engaging.
T: Spicy and phenolic yeast up front. Light fruity flavors, mostly citrus and lemon rind.
M/D: A medium body that is very effervescent. Crisp and dry, but way to thin for my liking. Not hard to drink. I will finish the bottle, but not something I will come back to often.

I found this pretty standard. Especially considering all that went into making this. Like most of Ranger Creeks latest offerings, pretty ho hum.

champ103, Aug 08, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle into a tulip. Batch 001, bottled 7/19/12.

A - Hazy yellow-orange color. Not as cloudy as some other reviews indicate, but I was very careful when pouring, keeping an eye on the yeast at the bottom. Big fluffy 2 finger head, beautiful.

S - Yeast, banana, citrus, smoke, wheat. A little all over the place.

T - Smoke! There were several reviews indicating that it was subtle or not present, but it's definitely there for me in the smell and even moreso in the taste, along with the wood. Kind of fruity, like a light Belgian more than a saison, though I do taste a bit of pepper. I don't really care for the smoke. Not bad, but not exactly what I think of when I think of saison / farmhouse style.

M - Medium bodied, pretty carbonated. Booze isn't that well hidden.

D/O - One & done for me. Interesting to try, but I won't seek it out again. I realize I did give it low-ish marks, but that's mostly because I felt it wasn't the best representation of the style. Fine job for an experiment, just not my favorite.

fragilehearted, Nov 01, 2012

jwff, Jan 28, 2013

Getalegup, Feb 24, 2014

BMart, Jan 09, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Good looking pour into a snifter. A honey color that thickened near the end of the bottle, minimal sediment. Head was light and bubbly, that cleared almost instantaneously.

S- Mild scent, underlying citrus.

T- Tart, but not too powerful. Very well-balanced, with most of it's strength in the middle. A little too much carbonation, hiding the alcohol.

M- The carbonation is a little too much for my style. You would also expect it to feel a bit thicker, based on it's color and pour.

O- Not a bad effort from the guys in San Antonio. I probably won't buy another SB#2, but look forward to what other small batches they put out in the future.

genitempo, Aug 25, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

375ml bottle into a tulip. The brew appears a hazed golden color with a big pillow-like whit head that is 3 fingers strong. A constant stream of lively carbonation surges to the surface in support of the cap that slowly fades leaving an uneven surface atop. Some stringy lace sticks to the glass.

The aroma initially is pleasantly fruity with notes of pear, apples, clove, bubblegum and an accenting note of fruity hops. Some tang and earthen notes are also present giving this a uniquely familiar character about it but I can't quite put my finger on it. As the brew warms up, it has a minor hint of sulfur and almost a mild smoky note.

The flavor of this brew has an aspect of pear and apple skins blending into a bit of clove and pepper. There is a touch of smoked aspect also present that I was not expecting. A bit of sulfur, funky cheese and earthen character takes this brew off in a wildly different direction than the first impressions would lead you to believe.

This is a medium bodied brew with an ample amount of lively carbonation. It is uplifting and tingly on the palate that helps move the flavors across the tongue. The alcohol is pretty well integrated but overall I found this brew to be a bit disjointed and confusing. Certainly unique and even after I finished my glass, I am left scratching my head trying to figure out if I really liked this or not.

stakem, Mar 17, 2013

mdaschaf, Sep 03, 2014

zonker17, May 18, 2013

GRG1313, Sep 03, 2012

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013

TonyT013, Jun 06, 2013

cthrockmorton, Sep 10, 2012

Jame515, Oct 01, 2013
Small Batch Series No. 2: Texas Farmhouse Ale from Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling