Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

White Chocolate Moo-Hoo Milk Stout - Terrapin Beer Company

White Chocolate Moo-Hoo Milk StoutWhite Chocolate Moo-Hoo Milk Stout

Terrapin Beer Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: HookemHoos on 11-12-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Great Lakes 25th Anniversary Tulip.

Appearance: Opaque black in color. An average pour produced 1/2'' of cream/tan head. No lacing present.

Smell: Typical Moo-Hoo smell, but with a definitive white chocolate undertone. Not a ton, but certainly noticeable, and it adds something really special to the nose for me. There is also a bit of vanilla extract smell, some marshmallow, and just general sugary sweetness.

Taste: Taste is white chocolate up front, followed by milk chocolate. No dark chocolate, that's for sure. There is a general sweetness as in the nose, which mellows to a sugar and marshmallow kind of aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin on the mouthfeel, which is also the case with regular Moo-Hoo. It certainly is easy drinking.

Overall: Subtle but sweet. The white chocolate, for me at least, adds an amazing component to this beer. Sure, it isn't a white chocolate bomb, but it's totally noticeable and in my opinion much more enjoyable that regular Moo-Hoo. I loved this beer.

Bottle shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff.

The beer is dark brown with an inch of dense, beige head. Big chocolate and chocolate milk aroma. Not getting a ton of white chocolate, per se, as in The Bruery White Chocolate. Smooth and creamy. Mild roast character and low alcohol feel. Really easy to drink and tasty. Not as sweet as I feared, with high drinkability. Good stuff.

1.3/5  rDev -66.4%

Pours black with very little light coming through. Head dissipates quickly.
Big, sweet chocolate aroma.

. Pretty similar to regular Moohoo.
Tastes similar to the aroma. Basically regular moohoo with a touch of a vanilla like flavor. Sweet with medium carb and body.

So similar to regular Moohoo that I would never be able to tell the difference. I cannot believe that people are rating this highly and trading it for big beer. It seems like all these great reviews are from people below the Mason Dixon line that want to trade a beer that they are not happy with.

3.91/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was lucky enough to find a few of these, as well as the Roll'd WnB - I will start of by saying I was a bit underwhelmed by this one given the hype, but it is still a great beer.

Aroma: This is kind of a no brainer, sweet and delicious chocolate. You can almost get full from just the aroma. Several different types of chocolate, dominant white chocolate nose.

Appearance: Beautiful black in color, you're not seeing through this beer even held up to light. Very thin tan/brown head that appears only to briefly say hello.

Flavor: Up front I immediately notice the lactose and milky flavor to this beer, followed by a tremendous amount of sweet chocolate. The white chocolate is suprisingly light in flavor when compared to the smell. It is still present, but it is not as dominant as the regular chocolate flavor that this thing offers. Very sweet and dessert-like. I can't imagine drinking more than a 12oz glass.

Mouthfeel: Silky and creamy, very smooth. Lightly carbonated, I would have actually preferred a bit more carbonation, but the light carbonation makes the chocolate really stand out and speak for itself.

Overall: I am a bit bias, because I waited 3 hours in line to get a bottle - but it was still a very good beer overall; I just wanted a bit more from it. As previously said, it is VERY sweet, I would like a bit more drink-ability.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours black with very little light coming through. Head dissipates quickly.
Big, sweet chocolate aroma. Dark malts, and a hint of vanilla. Pretty similar to regular Moohoo.

So similar to regular Moohoo that I had to make sure the bartender gave me the right one. She gave me a sample of regular Moohoo and only then did I pick up on the subtle vanilla in the flavor. Not too exciting, really.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

22 oz. bottle poured half into a pint glass and half into a Duvel Tulip (split with friend)

A- surprisingly and for the first time yet the tulip did not make much difference in headiness of the beer, it had a nice caramel/tan fluffy head but dissipated very fast... leaving no trace of lacing whatsoever. Though the color of the brew made up for that, black. black as night.

S- Milk chocolate sugary sweet but not overwhelmingly so, it smelled like I expected out of regular moo-hoo but there was no white chocolate to be found here..

T- Sadly here's where I must hatch off a few points, much like the smell it was definitely milk chocolaty with some sweet parts but what came at the end is what I'm assuming to be the lactose.. maybe my buds are not at that level of acquired taste but it was rough, like a chemical taste, but that quickly went away and honestly I wouldn't say it left any taste in my mouth.

M- Quite light for a stout and awkwardly lightly carbonated, like almost flat coke. it just didn't bring much to the palate.

O- For the hype that was behind the White Chocolate I was really surprised on how little it delivered. don't get me wrong I'll probably have to try another if I get the chance just to make sure but for now I'm not blown away by any means

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a black with a thumb sized head brown head that falls fairly quick ringed bubbles.

Aroma is sweet lactose sweetness and lots of chocolate sweetness added. Some light roasted that's not chocolate and some good vanilla notes.

Taste is lots of sweetness lactose and chocolate notes and good dose of vanilla more so then that's in the nose. Some dry like coco notes in the finish mingle with lots vanilla. This one is pretty dang sweet but just short of cloying. Personally dont believe its better then the regular Moo-Hoo.

Mouthfeel is nice a big medium with lots of sugar floating around, has good feel to it.

Overall its enjoyable enough but not something I would go out of my way to purchase again.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Black with a two finger mocha color head.

S- Cocoa, some white chocolate, some vanilla, touch of roasted malts.

T- Sweet, chocolate, cocoa, some vanilla, some roasted malts, some lactose.

M- Medium to full body, creamy, nice amount of carbonation.

O- Well done and very enjoyable, would be better if the taste was bigger. Worth the price.

3.91/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: The pitch black liquid is capped by a frothy tan head that leaves a few shards

Smell: Loads of vanilla sugar aromatics bring out the white chocolate elements

Taste: Very sugary, up front, with the vanilla and milk chocolate flavors building underneath; after the swallow, the flavor profile gets even sweeter and the finish is a sugar bomb

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I used to love white chocolate when I was a kid but now one bite is enough - and that's the way I feel about this beer; awfully tough to finish the glass with all of the vanilla and sweetness; a fun concept, though, so my rating is bumped up a bit

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap at Frisco's Tap House in Columbia, MD. Glad to get a chance to find this on tap in the area.

Beer served in a pint glass hits the table with only a dark khaki cap of foam left. Dark brown appearance. Nothing really extraordinary to look at, but nothing out of place either.

Beer was served too cold, and on first smell I really didn't get anything. Had to let the beer warm up a bit, and then the wafts of chocolate could be found. Not really sure what I was expecting but I didn't find this to be drastically different that regular Moo Hoo in the aroma.

Taste showed some differentiation from the regular Moo Hoo. Definitely distinct white chocolate taste, sweeter than normal Moo Hoo. Little bit of vanilla custard present, slight creme brulee type taste.

I've always found Moo Hoo to be a little thinner than I'd like and this is exactly the same. Carbonation could stand to be dialed down a notch too.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer but it wasn't quite the unique experience I was hoping for compared to the regular version. The taste was the high point in this beer and that's not a bad thing. I'm glad I got a chance to try it, but I don't feel a huge need to track this down in bottle form.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Proof Bottle Shop.

EVERYONE please let this beer warm up quite a bit before drinking! I accidentally left it in the cooler a bit too long, and I'm glad I left it sitting out for about an hour and a half before really getting into it.

Poured into a small CCB snifter and the color is the deepest opaque brown with some dark chocolatey color around the edges with a twinge of deep red. Decent amount of tan head that lasted about a minute before fading down to just a film across the head and some larger bubbles around the collar. Nice sweet milky aroma with some milk chocolate, vanilla and a very faint touch of bourbon. Taste was very much a blend of dark chocolate and the sweeter white chocolate. Lots of lactose sweetness too. Still that wonderful touch of what I would call bourbon. Did they barrel age this one? Nicely rich and low carbonated. Really glad I snagged this one!

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Whole foods.

Appearance: pitch black with a nice tan head. Lacing sticks around for a while.

Smell: was hoping for a little more of the sweet goodness of white chocolate, which doesn't come through all that much. Still, nice though.

Taste: chocolate comes through first and foremost. More dark chocolate than white. Nice roasted malt. Dan good taste, just not too live up to the name.

Mouth: a little lighter than what I call full bodied. Mills carbonation.

Overall: a solid stout. I would drink another. Just slightly disappointed that it isn't add much White Chocolate than I hoped.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a dark brown with a khaki one finger head.

S - So much white chocolate, vanilla and cocoa powder. Such nose treat!

T - It pretty much follows the nose in step. Big notes of vanilla, white chocolate and cocoa powder.

M - Light bodied, low carbonation. Has a wet finish and oh so smooth.

O - Not overly sweet as I thought it'd be. It's very good and delivers for a milk stout.

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: very dark, nearly opaque brown. A slight cola rim when held to light. This guy is dark. A fairly slight mocha head on the pour that recedes to wispy traces.
Smell: semi-sweet cocoa. As it warms a rich vanilla emerges. Not particularly complex but a nice chocolate and vanilla nose.
Taste: much like the nose. A little drier than expected. Very tasty.
Overall: a nice treat. Not particularly mind blowing, but tasty.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bottle poured into a taster.

Appearance - Black. Small khaki head. Can't tell much else as it is pretty dark out.

Smell - White chocolate and milk chocolate. Some sweetness, kinda like vanilla.

Taste - Mimics the smell, without the distinct white chocolate flavor. Lots of milk chocolate. Lactose sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium light for a stout. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Drank about 10 ounces of it. The adjuncts are nice, even if it isn't all that exciting.

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: medium pour with a large head that subsides quickly. Pitch black once it's in its vessel. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell: surprisingly I feel like I can smell white chocolate. Definitely a sweet and chocolaty smell. I don't get any coffee or dark notes at all.

Taste: initially I get a big hit of vanilla. Very strong and a little harsh. The middle gets slightly bitter but then the finish really retains the chocolate without much vanilla. The middle has a roasted character with big cocoa notes.

Mouthfeel: sweet but no over the top. Smooth with the exception of the beginning harshness which is kind of acidic.

Overall: I have mixed feelings. I like the smooth yet bold chocolates. However the vanilla is actually a little harsh but I still enjoy it a lot. I might buy a bottle to keep though because I think with age the vanilla will mellow out and this will be outstanding.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

"If cocoa nibs from Olive and Sinclair in our Moo-Hoo 'Chocolate Milk Stout' wasn't enough, then how about adding white chocolate to the mix just for good measure? The Terrapin 'White Chocolate Moo-Hoo' combines the Ying and Yang of the chocolate world into one decadent tasting beer. All the original flavor of Moo-Hoo that you remember, all the new flavor of white chocolate you'll never forget. Cheers!" Brewed in the style of a Milk stout with Cocoa Nibs and Natural flavors added. This is the first release in a new "ingredient variation" series by Terrapin, available in 22 oz. black wax sealed bottles and limited draft distribution. I will be reviewing this with a standard 2013 Moo-Hoo by the side to compare. May 06 2014 is dated clearly on the case, so this may not be an ideal candidate for aging according to the brewery.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a Terrapin snifter. Served north of 53º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp, fizzy medium brown head over a dark brown, near black body. Retention is average at best, no lacing nor legs to speak of. Head is slightly paler and thinner over the standard Moo-Hoo but not by much. There is no notable change to visual body depth. I was somewhat surprised by the thinness of the head appearance, expecting something creamier and more substantial. 3

(Smell) Cream and smooth cocoa sugar, a hint of vanilla and a dash of smooth, clean caramel malt. Overall it's a much cleaner, "milkier" aroma when compared to the standard 2013 Moo-hoo which has a bolder roasted black malt presence and less prevalent chocolate aromas. Sweetness is also more prevalent, but not overly so in the aroma, especially when taking the style itself into consideration. Hop presence and bitterness is low in both cases, although the bitterness is more noticeable in the 2013 standard Moo-Hoo from the gruffer aromas of the roasted malt. I do enjoy the aroma over the standard Moo-Hoo as I find that the white chocolate addition has a significant impact on the fullness and goal of the aroma that they were going for. I certainly don't disagree that there could be white chocolate in abundance in this drink. Potency is medium/high. 4.25

(Taste) Mildly sweet cocoa nibs up front with a soft dry pale malt body. The sweetness is reserved aside from a notable lactose and vanilla, a touch less assertive than the aroma suggested. White Chocolate Moo-Hoo finishes with a lingering vanilla cream lactose sweetness. Flavors of caramel and peanut develop as the beer warms. 2013 Moo-Hoo is less sweet, lighter and thinner flavored but has more balance with a earthier bitterness from the wet roasted malt. I did not find the sweetness of White Chocolate overbearing but it is noticeably sweeter than the Standard Moo-Hoo, most certainly a fine pairing to a a vanilla or caramel dessert. The flavor in White Chocolate Moo-Hoo is slightly fuller than that of standard 2013 Moo-Hoo but the differences aren't quite as profound as in the aroma. White Chocolate Moo-Hoo isn't necessarily more complex than the standard recipe either. The enhanced sweetness overshadows the more fragile earthy, roasty notes of the standard Moo-Hoo. Altogether, it's notably creamer, and therefore more noticeably chocolatey up front with an enhanced sweetness and a touch more body to go with it. It's pretty much on par with the standard recipe overall as they are both enjoyable. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) The original Moo-Hoo has a roasty, slick, mildly chewy texture with an earthy bitterness and soft carbonation. White Chocolate Moo-Hoo cloaks much of the bitterness for a sweeter, smoother texture. Carbonation adds a touch of creaminess. Standard Moo-Hoo has a mild dryness that detracts from the mouthfeel slightly, White Chocolate remedies this with the lactose sweetness and a smoother texture. White Chocolate's body is medium+ for the style, medium overall. Moo-Hoo standard is slightly thinner but not overwhelmingly so. The alcohol presence is dialed down well in both beers. I was equally pleased by the mouthfeel in both. 4.25

(Overall) I'm always in favor of recipe variations and special releases, and I was itching to try this one from the moment I heard about it. Yes, the beer is sweeter and the chocolate is far more defined and I would consider it more of a milk stout than the original recipe based on these changes. However, there were things I was hoping would stay, like the earthy balance and bitterness of the recipe that was inevitably overshadowed by the sweetness and creaminess of the White Chocolate. It's still a damn tasty beer in its own right. Don't kick yourself if you missed out on all the hype, as I certainly wasn't blown away by this beer but I wasn't let down either. I'm looking forward to trying more special releases like this from Terrapin in the near future and commend them for exploring their adventurous side. 3.75

Terrapin Beer Company's
White Chocolate Moo-Hoo

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

P: Pours a pitch black body with a dark espresso head that fades rather quick.

S: This really opens up with sweet white chocolate, cocoa nibs and vanilla. Roasted malts, burnt hair and dairy creamer.

T/M: Wow! This tastes just like sweet chocolate milk with both milk and white chocolate. Vanilla and nuttiness with timid woody hop presence. Body is on the weak side with spicy carbonation. Finishes semi dry and leaves the mouth clammy. Vanilla tobacco cones through at the end.

O: This is exactly what I expected and at first I thought it was going to be cloyingly sweet but it settled down once it warmed up.

Terrapin did a great job on this one. It tastes exactly like what I was expecting. If you really want to get the most out if the flavors I suggest you get a bottle of regular moo hoo with it. The creaminess of the white chocolate really comes out in this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- Solid black with very little head. Lacing was ok until head had completely dissipated.
S- Super sweet aroma. Milk Chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla dominate. Hints of licorice and coffee.
T- Follows the nose pretty closely. Sweet milk chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla with notes of coffee and roasted malts. White chocolate actually stands out from time to time. Nicely balanced.
M- On the lighter side. Silky feel with a nice drying effect. Not much carbonation.
O- I was expecting this to be more like a standard Vanilla Porter (with the all-too-typical hint of indescernable sugary sweetness), but it was much more than that. The flavors were huge, decadent, and genuinely white chocolate/vanilla. I would be surprised if this didn't eventually become a seasonal of some sort. It would be a good session beer, too.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

bottle into a snifter.

pours a pitch black with a big beige head. smell is massively vanilla..holy shit. taste is so so smooth with vanilla and chocolate, my god. medium bodied with low carbonation. so fuckiing smooth.

overall very good. the body is a tad lighter than i would like, but still..recommended.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last